• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Cloudyvortex said:
Third, San Antonio is bigger. And I'm from a Dallasian suburb (which means I think little of the Dallasians themselves).

Texas Cities (in order of pop.)

1. Houston
2.Dallas
3.San Antonio
4.Austin
5.El Paso

:D

Good update Draco, nice to see that the operation went well, and I must say I am very interesting in getting to know how the two German gentlemen and others are aiding the MI-6 in Germany. I am looking forward to your return :)

i really like paris and dublin :p

btw me want update

I'm back guys and I'm planning on posting the next update as soon as I finish getting unpacked and sorting out the assorted crap that has piled up around my home and office while I was out. Look for it sometime in the next twelve hours or so, eh?

Reactions:
Draco Rexus said:
I'm back guys and I'm planning on posting the next update as soon as I finish getting unpacked and sorting out the assorted crap that has piled up around my home and office while I was out. Look for it sometime in the next twelve hours or so, eh?

Hip hip hip......hooray

:D :D :D

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN - PART THREE

OPERATION MERCURY - THE OUTCOME

Buckingham_Palace_web.jpg

August 15, 1937
Buckingham Palace
London
Mid-afternoon, a.k.a. Tea Time

“And who are these two gentleman,” the King asked the man who was his spymaster as well as younger brother, Prince George, Duke of Kent.

“The photo on the left is Reichsmarine Admiral Wilhelm Canaris, head of the Abwehr. And the other is General Hans Oster, Canaris’ second in command in the Abwehr.”

WilhelmCanaris.jpg

Reichsmarine Admiral Wilhelm Canaris, Abwehr Cheif

oster_hans.jpg

General Hans Oster, Abwehr Second-in-Command

“I’m at a loss here, George,” the King said after several seconds of shocked silence. “How is it that the head of Germany’s intelligence service and his second are working not only with “subversive” movements within the country but also with a rival nation, namely us?”

“Actually, it’s more than just the head of the Abwehr, Albert,” Prince George replied. “Let me explain. Wait, there is to much, let me sum up.”

Pulling a folder from his attaché case and flipping through several pages of material, the Empire’s chief intelligence officer looked back at his brother and began. “You need to understand the origins of the Abwehr, so let’s go back a few years to 1921. As you recall from your German, the verb abwehren means "to ward off", which would imply that the Abwehr is concerned with counterespionage. However, the Abwehr was used as a concession to Allied demands that Germany's post-Great War intelligence activities be for "defensive" purposes only. Created in 1921 part of the Ministry of Defence when Germany was allowed to form the Reichswehr , it is headquartered adjacent to the offices of the Oberkommando der Wehrmacht (OKW) at 76/78 Tirpitzufer in Berlin and ordered to gather military intelligence concerning nations of interest to the German government. In 1928 the Reichsmarine intelligence staff merged with the Abwehr, and in the early ‘30’s with the rise of the Nazi movement, the Ministry of Defence was reorganized; surprisingly, on June 7, 1932, a naval officer, Capt. Konrad Patzig, was named chief of the Abwehr, despite the fact that it was staffed largely by Army officers. But perhaps not surprisingly, due to the small size of the organization and its limited importance at that time, it was unsuitable for a more ambitious Army officer. Another possible factor was that naval officers had more foreign experience than their Army counterparts and understood more of foreign affairs.

“With Patzig’s promotion, we have been able to trace a line of anti-Nazi occurances that have taken place either by the Abwehr or due to Abwehr inactivity. This came to a head two years ago when Patzig allowed Abwehr-sponsored reconnaissance flights across the border with Poland. This caused Wehrmacht leaders to fear that the Allied powers would come to think Germany had plans to attack Poland.”

"Do or did they,” the King interrupted with slight scowl on his face.

“Actually yes,” the Prince responded with a slightly bemused expression on his face, “but then again, even Sir Archibald over at the Imperial General Staff will admit that we have contingency plans for an invasion of Poland, so that’s no surprise.”

“Right, forgive my interruption, brother dear. Pray continue,” the King said with a casual wave of his hand calmed by his brother’s response.

“Patzig’s recce flights and the Wehrmacht’s concerns brought SS and Gestapo leader Himmler into the picture, and as he and Patzig failed to get along, as well as Patzig’s refusal to join the Nazi party, our friend Admiral Canaris was brought in to replace Patzig. Our sources in Berlin have been able to confirm that Himmler and his deputy Reinhard Heydrich had and are still today conspiring to take over all German intelligence organs, and while Canaris is an admitted master of backroom dealings, the cordial relationship between himself and the SS men is a façade covering some severe antagonism between the two parties.

HimmlerandHeydrich.jpg

Reichsführer-SS Himmler and Obergruppenführer Heydrich​

Things came to a head Hitler decided to help Comrade Stalin in his purge against the Red Army that as you know started a few months ago. In fear that the Wehrmacht would warn their Soviet counterparts, Hitler ordered that the German Army General Staff would be kept in the dark about Stalin's intentions and accordingly had special SS teams, accompanied by burglary experts from the Kriminalpolizei, break into the secret files of the General Staff and the Abwehr and removed documents related to German-Soviet collaboration. To conceal the thefts, fires were started at the break-ins, which included Abwehr headquarters. How Canaris found out, we still have not been able to find out, but in conjunction with the use of the SS to suppress both the Mit brennender Sorge as well as the Bekennende Kirche, the Abwehr chief has become very anti-Nazi.”

Finishing off his cup of tea, he continued with a dark smile. “Luckily, Hitler ordered a reorganization of the OKW, and that has allowed Canaris to surround himself with a virtually hand-picked staff, notably his second-in-command, Hans Oster. His entire staff, all of whom are not members of the Nazi party, save a Rudolf Bamler, who was appointed cement Himmler's “trust” in Canaris, are loyal to Canaris first, Germany second and not at all to the Nazi regime. Canaris and his staff are firm Anglophiles, and Oster actually approached our man in Berlin, and the results from that meeting was what allowed for the “disappearance” of Rev. Niemöller.”

“Outstanding, George, outstanding. The benefits of this are such that even I can sense them” the King said with feeling. Finishing his own cup of tea, King George steeled himself for the downside of his brothers’ report and asked simply, “And the costs to the Empire in the German arm of Operation Mercury?”

Looking at the last sheet in the top folder sitting in his lap, the Duke of Kent replied solemnly, “We lost three British agents and approximately seven agents under our employ during the distribution of Mit brennender Sorge and the subsequent activities. They are regrettable losses, Albert, but if the ground work they helped create builds what we are hoping, not only will their loss be worth it, it will actually mean something for the future.”

“I know, George, I know. I take it that we have made sure that the families will be taken care of?”

“Of course,” the spymaster replied with heartfelt feeling, “It has been made abundantly clear that the servants of the Crown and their families will be provided for if the ultimate sacrifice is ever called for. I have made sure of it personally for our three men, and had our man in Berlin take care of it for the others.”

“Very good, I knew I could count on you for that, little brother,” the King said. Taking a deep breath and pushing the dark thoughts of the dead away, he looked at his watch and commented, “I believe I’ve got about ten minutes before Elizabeth will be up from her nap, so why don’t we finish up with the last part of Mercury and then go and check on your niece and my precious little girl?”

Next up... the communist results of Mercury.

With the Abwehr working with the empire, Hitler's threat should be minimized.

Quite a coup for British intelligence to subvert the Abwehr like that. Glad to have you back Draco! :)

Welcome back, Draco; hope the trip was a good one.

Loved the Princess Bride reference!

Eager to see how anti-Nazi becomes pro-British...

Vann

Welcome back draco! can't wait to see what the commies thought of mercury.

Welcome back! For selfish reasons, I'm glad you are back from vacation, and can write more. This is one AAR I can't wait to get my fix of every week.

A very interesting update. One wonders of the implications...

I love how real the characters is, Draco!:)

Draco Rexus said:
Storey - Joe, you sir win a prize.... what the prize is yet, I dunno. Mayhap the joys of babysitting my three wonderful boys for a week? Don't let their names (Chaos, Havoc and Mayhem) scare you, there honestly great wee little lads!

I have a simple method of babysitting that involves ear plugs, several glasses of wine and a lot of duct tape. ;) Good to see you back.

Joe

Draco Rexus said:
...“The photo on the left is Reichsmarine Admiral Wilhelm Canaris, head of the Abwehr. And the other is General Hans Oster, Canaris’ second in command in the Abwehr.”...
while not as good as a successful coup, it is mightily impressive! ! ! :cool:

prussiablue - we'd all like to think that, wouldn't we? :eek:

VILenin - thanks and I thought the same thing!

Vann - trip was good (although Arkansas has no friggin' idea how to deal with snow and ice... seems they've never heard of something called SALT!!!! :mad: ) Hey, you were the only one to pick up on the Princess Bride reference. Kudos to you!

Maximilliano - thanks and I'm working on that as you read this.

Lucidor - flattery will get you nearly anything, my friend!

Humps - Tell me 'bout it! I'm still tryin' to get a wrap on it myself! :eek:o

Nikolai - Thanks!

Storey - Thanks Joe, and with my three, I've tried that before and it only works 'bout half the time! (You'd be surpised what Chaos, Havoc and Mayhem can do when they set their minds to it. Kinda reminds me of myself!)

Cloudyvortex - the Empire is indeed alive and well, thanks! Utter bastards fools are not, no matter how much you wish it, eh?

GhostWriter - How true that is! But, hey, it's still early yet, right? ;)

Okay folks, I'm working on the next couple of posts and will try to get something up in the next day or two, until then... I dunno, eat, drink and be merry before Lent or something, eh? :p