• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Back after some time of not reading, and wow!

Remus marching into Italy with his army, and not going for the throne. What IS he doing with his army, then?

boehm said:
Perhaps if Romulus were to have an "accident" ...then someone marrying Barbaria might have something approaching a legal claim on the throne ? ....and she did previously favor Selenus no? ;)
Our Emperor needs heirs. :mad:

Barbaria might also have an accident…

Our dear Remus is having a momentary lapse of reason, blinded by his devotion to his duty to Rome. This is not all that of a bad thing because as soon as he arrives in Rome and sees and experiences the damage that Romulus has done to Rome I'm fairly confident that Romulus will not be wearing the purple for very long.

The problem, one that Mett has alluded to several times and and one that everyone urging Remus to take the purple is forgetting, is that Remus does not like politics and faired poorly when last he was in Rome. Unless he finds a way to unit all the factions under his banner, a feat not even Ceasar was able to accomplish I might add, or at least a majority of the factions, his taking of the purple might not accomplish anything hastening the destruction of Rome and the West.

I have my faith, however, that whatever happens, Mett is going to make it one helluva interesting ride!

The amount of pessimism in this thread is incredible. :D ;)

Vincent Julien said:
The amount of pessimism in this thread is incredible. :D ;)
Cure it with an update, boy-oh. :mad:

I have an update which is pending. But I cannae do it until Mett has approved it, Sir!

Then hopefully the collective pessimism will be dispelled soon, eh?

Hm, with all this discussion on how Romulus really can't be replaced as Augustus it makes me think: there is only one solution here, it begins with an 'R' and ends with an 'epublic'.

Draco Rexus said:
Then hopefully the collective pessimism will be dispelled soon, eh?

Lord no! There will always be something to be pessimistic about in this story. ;) No-one is going to ruin your fun. ;)

Plushie said:
Hm, with all this discussion on how Romulus really can't be replaced as Augustus it makes me think: there is only one solution here, it begins with an 'R' and ends with an 'epublic'.

Mabye Peperna could be elected as a Consul! :D

Plushie said:
The Republic is dead and gone, but meanwhile Remus is showing such a marked lack of judgment and misplacing of loyalties (to the Empire, not the Emperor!) that I've come to think, even if he survives the cure of his benighted naivete, he simply has too many bad qualities to be an Emperor. Perhaps, I suppose, he'd be a good one in the sense that he'd pick competent and trustworthy advisors.

But if that is to be the case, then why not pick one of those possible advisors? Selenus, I say, and let any man who speaks otherwise be Anathema!

Petrarca does have a point, Selenus could possibly be the best choice to wear the purple. With Remus as his right hand, the only problem would be who would be at his left hand?

To swim completely against the tide, I think that Rermus would be a good Emperor. Selenus is too broadly soft and fundamentally cerebral at this stage and the occassional violence, bluntness and decisiveness that some people are deploring, which Remus has built up as part of his leadership style, are probably neccessary if not actually welcome in a successful ruler at this period. Rome needs to be hard in order to survive.

I agree with Vincent Julien. Remus is the hard man Rome needs to survive. All the commanders are clients of Remus. Even the Comes Viator is ready to rejoin the Empire again.

Just how will a bored rich stuttering Senator named Regulus solve the bandit problem? Recruit the bandits and bring them back to Rome, where they will be known as the Stutterer's Army. I think Regulus would make a fine Bishop of Rome.

Hardness is not what the Empire needs.

The Empire needs a strong ruler. With the rashness and hardness of Remus, his victory might be as bleak as his defeat.

Well, not entirely, but I was 'quoting' ;)

Vincent Julien said:
To swim completely against the tide, I think that Rermus would be a good Emperor. Selenus is too broadly soft and fundamentally cerebral at this stage and the occassional violence, bluntness and decisiveness that some people are deploring, which Remus has built up as part of his leadership style, are probably neccessary if not actually welcome in a successful ruler at this period. Rome needs to be hard in order to survive.
If I can say this in a non-sexual manner, Selenus is hardening fast. I am hoping that what we learn about the continuation of the Sicilian campaign shows the development of a capable leader. Remus, by contrast, is showing a remarkable lack of judgment. Were he lead by someone less foolhardy than Romulus, bringing the Aquila would serve as needless provocation. Even when the Emperor is stupid enough to be so sanguine, he abandons Aquila when it could be a lifesaver. I have nothing against occasional violence or bluntness, but I question Remus's patience and judgment.

Had Romulus left Claudius in place, he would not have needed to recall Remus. Remus is not the man who was sent to Gaul. He did appoint Romulus and such appointees are never content to owe their position to another. He is hopi9ng that there is something worth supporting on the throne.

Gaul knocked the rash and the brash out of Remus, Avernite.

An Emperor whose own choice of commander had got his only field army shredded would, were he worth his salt, have recalled his Magister with as many soldiers as he could spare from the defence of Gaul. Remus' judgement is sound. He knows the Emperor needs him to drive the Ostrogoths out of Italy.The Aquila is his counter-play when Suomar and his barbarians move against him.

That even Varic can't always anticipate Romulus' moods swings is a worrying development. There will always be those who see a mad Emperor as an opportunity to cut down those currently in power around him and take their place The weak emperors of the past century showed the inherent respect for the position amongst the Romans. The Vandal Stilicho would have made a more effective emperor than Honorius and Patrician Aetius, the last of the Romans, an infinitely better one than Valentinian III.

The interview with the Emperor will merely confim that Remus must take the throne or die.

I think, from a mythical reference, that Remus WILL die at Romulus' hands, and Claudius will take over the Aquila legion, while Selenus will take up his Sicilia legion to aid Claudius.