• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I finally had time to catch up and I did read today from page 5 onwards.

First I have to say that it was pity that you lost your save, Heinrich Julius I was probably most amusing of the Roman Emperors, so it's a bad thing that he never existed.

Your wars against France were most impressive and reduced them to a minor power, it's always a great achievement and seeing France splitered pleases me.

And to comment the latest updates. It seem that you got bit greedy and it made your BB go over the top. But it's hard to see that your BB will go down anytime soon, since you always seem to be tempted to take something in war. I have the same problem now and then, because sometimes easy conquests are too hard to resist. :D

Finally caught up with your unstoppable Brunswick mincing machine :D You've had more than a fair share of mad kings, if it wasn't for the HRE I'd advise switching to a republic, at least you could get rid of dangerous stadtholders quicker :rofl:

Agree with Olaus Petrus, your late policy of "release 1 vassal, grab 3 provinces" is not very conducive to low BB :rolleyes:

My main concern wasn't you going over the BB limit, but you allying all you vassals, getting you in all sorts of trouble. Not that it matters now...

Didaa: They had nothing to lose, they were my vassals to begin with, and as for Riga, I was well past the point I could diplo-annex them, if I so desired.

Enewald: It did feel like a somewhat unjust death for the poor guy. I mean, granted, he couped the throne by killing the old King, so maybe it was a little deserved, but it still felt harsh. I guess you ought to never anger the wrong people...

Olaus Petrus: Heinrich Julius lives on... under the name of Wilhelm. He was fun to write for. Whipping France was a lot of fun. And the BB was an honest mistake... should be fun to lower.

Aldriq: I ought to have allied with my vassals sooner. The alliances have been keeping vassal relations high despite the high BB; and on that note, vassals I had not allied yet (Navarra?) are really suffering relation-wise and threatening to go rogue. And I agree at this point, nothing could really stop Brunswick except if every border declared at once... and even then, maybe not.

Reasons for the Delay:

There have been two reasons for the delay in posting.

One: If I do not stop all EUIII activities immediately (as I did a couple of weeks ago), I will fail several college classes this quarter. I admit to having gotten just a little carried away. Suffice it to say I am not interested in failing.

Two: My computer has been hit by a virus. It turned bleak yesterday, essentially crippling my system; and I will need to reformat as soon as I have 48-60 hours to spend on it. I should still be able to rescue all my files; but with a computer running 3-5 times slower than normal, actually doing something with the files is a little out of the question.

If you combine point two with point one, you will note that I do not have 48-60 hours to spend on reformatting until March Break at the very least. As March Break is in three weeks, this could be a while.

I already uploaded the pictures for the next chapter a couple of weeks ago (right before reason one), so when I have the time, I'll write that chapter. Quite a few interesting developments occur in Chapter 24, which take us up to where the game is currently saved. After that, I'm not sure what to say.

Hopefully, you will not have to wait too long.

The computer has been "fixed" (reformatted) just yesterday, but I haven't got it "gaming fixed"--which is to say updated graphics drivers and games installed. Thus, I can't tell you if the save file is safe yet, though I presume it is.

However, updates could possibly remain a ways away yet, because I am more swamped by real life stuff than I might ever have been in my entire life. Last Thursday I had to do my grocery shopping at 2AM because that was the only time I'm free. I'm pressing a bit right now because it's the week before final exams, and I've got a concert as part of a semi-professional symphony tomorrow night, which means I can't just blow it off, or sight-read the music at the performance.

I'm also trying to figure out how to write seven essays throughout all of this. Haven't quite figured that one out. So... this could be a while. I won't set a date yet.

So, update:

My computer died again. I'm starting to get really ticked. This one was more my fault though; when I reinstalled Windows, I forgot to turn off Windows Firewall when I reinstalled my virus protection (Trend Micro); and as two conflicting firewalls would do, they killed each other, then a virus came in and messed up my computer, leading to me having to reformat again.

(Alternatively, they might have conflicted and allowed a virus through, then the virus messed up the virus protection program--I don't know. Whatever the chronology of this tale was, the computer was reduced to unusability and had to be wiped.)

I cannot tell you if the save file is safe, because I do not know yet. Just got the computer going again. My apologies on the delay.

I have long delayed in writing this, because I was hoping to find some other way... but I am now forced to admit the reality--the savefile is dead, and it's not coming back.

I will try to have the heart to put the last chapter up, with a short epilogue; and then I'll call this AAR finished due to savefile destruction.

Chapter 24: Domination

Riga Declares War

eu31700dt5.jpg

This chapter begins with Riga declaring war on the combined Germanic hordes. Normally, such a move would be considered suicide; but as Riga was already a vassal, the only point of this war from a Brunswick standpoint is to prove to Riga just how overmatched it was.

eu31701ec8.jpg

The nobles demanded the right to destroy the Rigan rebels by themselves. The King ignored them.

eu31702gv0.jpg

As it is, they didn't miss much.

The Last King

eu31703li9.jpg

Corsica was the last province of the Holy Roman Empire not yet in vassalship to the greatness that was Brunswick. Corsica therefore had to fall. That France would join only added to the fun.

eu31704bu7.jpg

France was the only nation of the two of them that would put up stiff resistance. That is, if you could call the Battle of Normandie "resistance."

eu31705ha3.jpg

The nobles were rather ticked that a peasant leader took credit for the great victory, and went on strike for a month.

eu31708lj4.jpg

The war was not without other ill effects, however--a good portion of the educated class of Worms packed up and left for Africa, where they hoped to establish a new life in the "new world."

eu31707pg0.jpg

Eventually, Corsica surrendered to the armies of Brunswick.

eu31709kz5.jpg

Their king was granted a nice dukedom made up of his former lands; and a place in the history books.

eu31710cp4.jpg

The King of France was not quite as lucky.

eu31711fl7.jpg

eu31713dl4.jpg

It was rather amusing to see Catholic Zealots besieging Paris merely months after. France was more or less dead at this point.

Hesse, part two?

eu31712lt9.jpg

The King explained that he would rather have the Dukedom of Denmark in Jylland as opposed to Fyn, as this way his armies would have free passage to Sweden. He apparently forgot that the way was blocked by Mecklenburg in the first place; and thus this was rather pointless. Still, it did net the kingdom 780 ducats, which was no small sum.

eu31714nn9.jpg

Despite the recent conquests, the King still wished to get Brunswick's reputation back under the badboy limit, and so he hired a four-star advisor to help the process along.

Mayan War

eu31716xl3.jpg

eu31718po9.jpg

Is comment really necessary?

Defending the Advantage

eu31719bj7.jpg

After noticing that the Spanish had made it to the Pacific coast, Heinrich V decided that this could not be and attempted to pay off the natives to kill Spanish colonists. After three attempts, the bribes were successful in expelling the Spaniards.

eu31720qc9.jpg

Nathan the Prophet showed up with a new mission for the king. "Destabilizing the Mamluks," he called it. The King thought it was a joke that Nathan called the Mamluks a "serious rival;" but truth was, the Mamluks were the only serious rival left in the world that the Germans had not completely crushed in a war.

eu31722ob1.jpg

This amused Heinrich almost as much as if he had been warned.

Cabinet

eu31723az7.jpg

For the last several years, Brunswick had been beelining Government Tech, out of hopes that it would land them Cabinet soon enough to control that pesky reputation.

eu31724wb4.jpg

Now the research was complete and the benefits could be harvested.

eu31725jb6.jpg

Heinrich's council was renamed "cabinet;" and in that one move, all of Heinrich's neighbours suddenly respected him more, and thought him an absolute dove to have done so.

eu31726ia7.jpg

With the latest technological improvements, Brunswick's reputation was falling at a rate of 2.01 points per year; if Brunswick were to stay still, Heinrich could be under the badboy limit within two years.

eu31729as7.jpg

And so Heinrich bided his time...

eu31730yu5.jpg

But this wouldn't be the Brunswick Vassal AAR if Heinrich didn't do something stupid, now, would it? Or at least someone else force his hand...

Odd Sights Around the World

eu31728ue6.jpg

Bulgaria Declares Independence

eu31731fp0.jpg

The revolution of Bulgaria had actually been a long-awaited event; and Heinrich was thrilled to get this out of the way before the Mamluks hordes were sure to pour over the border.

eu31732dd0.jpg

The rebels offered little resistance; especially after the rebel leader was promised a dukedom.

Chapter 24: Domination

War With the Mamluks

eu31733sf2.jpg

eu31734nt9.jpg

The Mamluks were the stiffest competition Brunswick had faced in eons. They were a whole 34% as capable of war as the Holy Roman Emperor was, when at full capacity.

eu31735dk4.jpg

As they crossed the border, they lost their casus-belli on Brunswick.

eu31736qg5.jpg

As the border was a very small area, thousands of miles from the capitals of either empire, fighting was expected to be both intense and pointless--that is, unless you thought this war would decide which nation was the ultimate supremacy on the planet.

eu31737qe8.jpg

eu31738ez9.jpg

eu31739bb9.jpg

The Mamluks fought hard, causing significant casualties to the Braunsweig; however, the Germans caused disproportionate casualties to the Egyptians.

eu31740wm2.jpg

And they secretly made peace with Mamluks' allies, who were too far away to have any impact on this war.

eu31741zk6.jpg

The ongoing war did not stop Heinrich from claiming the lands of other monarchs.

eu31742nb2.jpg

eu31743up3.jpg

eu31744zt8.jpg

The Battle of Poltava gave the Mamluks hope, but that hope was to be short-lived.

eu31745fi3.jpg

Delhi took the opportunity for a white peace, leaving the Mamluks completely alone. They were large; but they were losing.

eu31746lc2.jpg

eu31749ce6.jpg

eu31750hl2.jpg

And, with the Mamluks forced into a corner; and Brunswick with enough war exhaustion and badboy to have no desire to further pursue the war, the two sides found something to agree on.

eu31752hf7.jpg

eu31753ko2.jpg

After the peace, badboy remained just under the limit.

And so the last world empire that had even a whiff of a chance of stopping Brunswickian domination was forced to concede a complete and total defeat; and thus world conquest was secured.

Random Pictures

eu31747bd1.jpg

eu31754yd9.jpg

eu31755pt1.jpg

Great AAR. It's a pity it had to be cut short, although continuing would probably just be more of the same since you became the strongest nation.

Epilogue

On a cold winter's night in February of 1787, King Heinrich the Eighth could not sleep.

In the years past, his ancestors had all but fulfilled the great vision of Heinrich III: Europe was a patchwork; the New World was all but entirely Brunswickian territory; and Asia was subjugated. All that remained was the Maldives.

But Heinrich VIII was troubled. Didn't the vision tell him to bring "freedom" to all peoples? Were not all people groups supposed to have a representative government and a king? All of his vassals were merely dukes.

And with that thought, Heinrich formulated a plan and went to sleep.

"Hans!"

"Yes, my Lord."

"I want you to release all my vassals."

"What?!?!"

"The vision will not be complete until all people are free; and that means free from our domination as well as others. Release the vassals."

"But without our harsh control, the world will surely break out into unending war; and the future situation of our planet will be no different than the former."

"Quite true; but is that our right to decide? And besides, we are still allied with all of our vassals. If any nation gets too agressive, we can put an end to it, right?"

"So you're suggesting a world body to intervene whenever an agressor nation tries to capture territory? Why not call it the United Nations?"

"Holy Roman Empire is good enough for me. Free the vassals!"

"You're sure? You can't undo this, you know."

"Free the vassals!"

"Yes, my Lord."

And so 400 years of Brunswickian dominance came to an end.