• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In Hungary I suggest Pecs, Györ and Miskolc could be hilly, Budapest Urban, the rest is plains.

Last edited:
Yes, Budapest will be urban, I have not changed that yet.

I have analyzed a bit our map modifying possiblilties and I have bad news; there are only five free provinces. So we need to decide which new provinces are topes priority to be added.

Vladimir II said:
Yes, Budapest will be urban, I have not changed that yet.

I have analyzed a bit our map modifying possiblilties and I have bad news; there are only five free provinces. So we need to decide which new provinces are topes priority to be added.
I am sure there are more.The number is IIRC about 40.Not to forget that there are more than 5 off-map factions in KR.

Vladimir II said:
What is KR?

Well, I have studied game data, excel tables and txt files and it appears that there are only five 2604, 2605, 2606, 2607, 2608.

Thanks, Jamie, I have already seen that thread.

What about 223, 224, and 291?

In terms of priority, I think splitting up Venice and Gaziantep should come first. Also, Venice could be split into two provinces only. It was very unlikely that Yugoslavia would get the town of Trieste or Friuli-Giulia. Having a separate Trieste will help more for 1914 mods though. Merging 'useless' provinces on the other hand, I don't think is a good idea.

To mehmet12: which rebellions do you have in mind in interwar Kavala involving Muslims?

But province Trieste is important, not because of Slovenian claims, but because of ahistorical game outcome. When Yugo-Soviet and Italo-Commonwealth armies met in Trieste, Italian and Yugoslav army were willing to fight for the city. Even Churchill said that if YUG army enters Trieste, Commonwealth forces are free to retaliate. And Tito was willing to attack also. But then Stalin intervened, so the city with surrounding region became independent state, divided into zones A and B. Later, zone A joined Italy (with city Trieste), and zone B became part of Yugoslavia. But what if Italy and Yugoslavia started a war? In HoI terms, since Italy is an Ally, and Yugoslavia is in Commintern, automatically, all other countries (USSR, Bulgaria, Romania, Finland, Hungary, Albania, USA, France, Greece, Belgium, Netherlands...) are in war, end we have WWIII in the second.

If those three provinces are free, then we have 8 free provinces. So they could be used for this:

Pula and Trieste - 2 provinces;
Kruševac - 1 province;
Galibolu - 1 province;
two new Turkish provinces - 2 provinces;
so we have 2 more free provinces. Rush3r proposed changes in Romania, too.

Aren't there more off-map provinces?

Anyway, with 8 provinces free, and 6 established, there's only room for 2. My major modification proposition had 3 new provinces, but Cahul and Chişinău could be merged as Chişinău:

hoi2map2mm9gf8.png

I - Plains
II - Hills
III - Plains
IV - Hills
V - Plains
VI - Plains
VII - Plains
VIII - Mountains
IX - Hills
X - Mountains
XI - Hills
XII - Hills
XIII - Plains
XIV - Marsh
XV - Hills/Plains
XVII - Hills
XVIII - Mountains
XIX - Hills
XX - Marsh
XXI - Marsh
XXII - Hills
XXIII - Mountains

So only 2 new provinces.

Last edited:
Vladimir II said:
But province Trieste is important, not because of Slovenian claims, but because of ahistorical game outcome. When Yugo-Soviet and Italo-Commonwealth armies met in Trieste, Italian and Yugoslav army were willing to fight for the city. Even Churchill said that if YUG army enters Trieste, Commonwealth forces are free to retaliate. And Tito was willing to attack also. But then Stalin intervened, so the city with surrounding region became independent state, divided into zones A and B. Later, zone A joined Italy (with city Trieste), and zone B became part of Yugoslavia. But what if Italy and Yugoslavia started a war? In HoI terms, since Italy is an Ally, and Yugoslavia is in Commintern, automatically, all other countries (USSR, Bulgaria, Romania, Finland, Hungary, Albania, USA, France, Greece, Belgium, Netherlands...) are in war, end we have WWIII in the second.

If those three provinces are free, then we have 8 free provinces. So they could be used for this:

Pula and Trieste - 2 provinces;
Kruševac - 1 province;
Galibolu - 1 province;
two new Turkish provinces - 2 provinces;
so we have 2 more free provinces. Rush3r proposed changes in Romania, too.

I think splitting Gaziantep into Hatay and Adana is the most important change for Turkey, then Gelibolu out of Istanbul. We can break up the map into numerous provinces and we all know the HoI map is taken from Europa Universalis and is not exactly a parable of accuracy. But we should think about historical events and key locations before changes that are more cosmetic. I see your point about Trieste, and I think the only change in Romania with some similar importance is Bukovina.

The problem with Romania is that the internal proportions of the map are totally FUBAR.

Crush3r said:
The problem with Romania is that the internal proportions of the map are totally FUBAR.

I know, maybe you could work with the existing number of provinces to improve that?

Also, I'm excited about the map editor and all, but maybe we're getting a bit too excited? I mean, if you really want to play with the map editor, you can try to redesign the whole world map ["oh that country looks funny, oh wait that line is crooked..."] It would be awesome if the designers had created a world map from scratch from an actual WWII map, but they chose to stick to the Europa Universalis template, and that's what it is for now.

Doublepost - gah, damn servers!

Last edited:
My map proposition adds only 2 provinces, within the limit. Besides, even if you delimit Romania into historical provinces (Wall, Mold, Trans) they are bad, I'm not doing very accurate maps, only reasonable.

New ideas:

- Focşani-Nămoloasa-Galaţi fortified line - Old map Braila, proposed map Galaţi (lvl 2 - land)

- Coastal fortifications - Old map Tulcea, proposed map Constanţa (lvl 3-4 - coastal)

I have one proposition. If you ever plan to make completely new map of Poland I propose you to use map something like this one:
poland4wh6.png

Maybe it still need few changes, but it’s best map I can make for now and it has the same province amount like on standard HoI2 map (33 provinces). That Paradox map of Poland looks really poor, especially eastern borders.

Full list of provinces:
1. Gdańsk
2. Gdynia
3. Toruń
4. Bydgoszcz
5. Poznań
6. Kalisz
7. Łódź
8. Włocławek
9. Płock
10. Warszawa
11. Kielce
12. Częstochowa
13. Katowice
14. Kraków
15. Tarnów
16. Przemyśl
17. Lublin
18. Siedlce
19. Łomża
20. Białystok
21. Suwałki
22. Wilno
23. Głębokie
24. Nowogródek
25. Grodno
26. Brześć Litewski
27. Pińsk
28. Łuck
29. Równe
30. Lwów
31. Stryj
32. Tarnopol
33. Stanisławów

p.s. I don't kknow what to do with rivers, If they can be modded now so I didn't place them.

Vladimir II said:
I will respond to all posts later, but I have two linguistical questions for mumia:

How is letter Ł pronounced?

Is in Polish rz pronounced as Ř in Czech?

1. 'ł' (Ł) just like English 'w' in word 'wood' or 'world' , same as Russian 'л'.
2. 'rz' or 'ż' (just orthographic difference) are pronounced as English 'zh' so just like as Czech 'ř'.

mumia said:
1. 'ł' (Ł) just like English 'w' in word 'wood' or 'world' , same as Russian 'л'.
2. 'rz' or 'ż' (just orthographic difference) are pronounced as English 'zh' so just like as Czech 'ř'.
Thanks. But I have one notice:

Russian/Serbian 'л' is not same as English 'w'. 'л' is pronounced as 'l' in words lake, land, love... But if you say that 'ł' is pronounced as 'л', then, how do you pronounce 'L' in Polish?

The Great Duck: Good idea.