• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Darth Tracid

Field Marshal
54 Badges
Jun 2, 2001
www.gamersgate.com
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Victoria 2 Beta
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Achtung Panzer
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Majesty 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Deus Vult
  • East India Company
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Penumbra - Black Plague
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 200k Club
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
Hello HoI2-fans...

since our very own Jamie550 is galantly working on a map editing tool for HoI2 (3 huzzahs on him!), I have decided that we need a forum project to rework the map (like the victoria people with clio).
I will take the lead on this (note: my part will solely be that of project administrator and mediator), but since I have neither the knowledge nor the technical expertise to handle photoshop or create maps, I need help.

I would like to ask the help of one or more individuals who would be able to photoshop maps with altered provinces for the project from time to time.
We will also need people able and willing to supply a corresponding province.csv to go with the new provinces and the altered balance.
Volunteers for both positions happily accepted:)

Of course, everybody on the forum will be invited to contribute to the project when the discussion for the map starts.

One thing up front: it is not possible to add more provinces, for every new one another one has to disappear. so it won´t be easy doing.

So...feel free to post your take - but please, NO SPECIFICS yet! Discussion on specific provinces or names is a bit too early:)

I think it's possible to combine several lake provinces - that should free up some IDs. Also sea provinces could be combined which would allow more land provinces.

I'd like to see more provinces to simulate modern borders better, and also other borders as well. I'll start drawing some little plans and whatnot.

If it's possible to add new provinces somehow, as stated above, i would like to see a province specifically for the guantanamo base (not the enormous province that it's there now)

Yeah - I have no artistic skill. I'd also like to see the USA's provinces a bit more well-shaped to represent the states. Maybe there could be provinces for the Vatican, Monaco, etc.

Generally speaking...the U.S mainland needs MAJOR reworking because it sucks badly for any fighting taking place on that continent.

Fighting in the States would be like Russia or China, yet you have Texas alone (about the size of France) with about as many provinces as Ireland!?! :wacko: Absolutely mental! And thats not even taking the rest of the US into account.

Completely redraw Australia so that the modern state boundries can be simulated in the regions mode, muhc like the USA is. At the moment Australia is quite warped.

Gen. Skobelev said:
I think it's possible to combine several lake provinces - that should free up some IDs. Also sea provinces could be combined which would allow more land provinces.
Is it possible to combine all lakes in a certain region? The game doesn’t need them as separate pieces does it? I'm not so sure about the sea, could make traveling strange if done wrong. I miss the mountainous inland terrain on islands like Ceylon/Sri Lanka or Iceland. Places like Guantanamo might be added if they add anything to game play but I would prefer to add a place like Bahrain with it's oil, naval base, airfields and strategic, defendable position (currently not at the map at all). I would also like the possibility to create the Skagerack-sperre between Denmark and Norway (and omit the strange international waters short-cut via Limfjorden) /M

Yes the sea would need careful working in order not to screw up the movement. Also, sea provinces are more important in HoI than in Vicky so they can't be combined as heavy-handedly without screwing up convoys and naval warfare.

And for those who haven't paid any attention to the Vicky map project, here is example how the reworked Vicky map looks like. Quite a change.

I noticed that the modern national borders are better represented in the reworked map. It wouldn't hurt, 1936 borders could easily be represented, and also, combat will be a whole lot better, for example, instead of Liberia having one province, it has more provinces. Provinces in some areas are really blah - like in Africa they're too big and blocky.

There are rivers that definitely need to be reworked, added or removed. I made a minor post about it in the enhancements forum but I'll expand on that for this project. After all, rivers were quite important.

/edit: Here are the ones I proposed some time ago:
river1-nieman.jpg

The River Nieman

rivers23-buganddesna.jpg

The Bug and Desna Rivers

rivers45-oskolminidon.jpg

The Oskol River (and changes to the Don)

Mattias said:
Is it possible to combine all lakes in a certain region? The game doesn’t need them as separate pieces does it? I'm not so sure about the sea, could make traveling strange if done wrong. I miss the mountainous inland terrain on islands like Ceylon/Sri Lanka or Iceland. Places like Guantanamo might be added if they add anything to game play but I would prefer to add a place like Bahrain with it's oil, naval base, airfields and strategic, defendable position (currently not at the map at all). I would also like the possibility to create the Skagerack-sperre between Denmark and Norway (and omit the strange international waters short-cut via Limfjorden) /M

Well, i was only talking for my mod, the cold war one, where a small province only for guantanamo base would be really cool, and useful, having to rename the actual guantanamo province to Guanma or Holguín.

Oh a province for Bahrain would be very very nice thing to see to, and don't forget Goa and perhaps a smaller province for Brunei.

EDIT: BTW i'm not an expert in this but can't it be possible to use the lake province's ids to create a new province and "draw" a lake in the place where there was a lake?

Last edited:
still waiting on volunteers ;)

I think the main question is:

Do we sacrifice non-fought over areas in wwii to give more provinces to those areas that were fought over to give more flexibility to the wwii part of the game?

or do we simply redraw provinces and rivers, and not remove/add provinces at all.

I really think that we should go for option number one, as sea provinces are too important to scratch in hoi2.

If we get a map-making tool, then it would be possible for the modern scenario and other projects to make their own maps - so I really believe that we should take provinces from the americas, primarily, and give it to europe/asia; to get more out of the wwii scenarios.
We should also look into taking areas from the us and giving it to europe to make the air war more refined, but I don´t know exactly if and how that would screw balance.

Anyway, I´m heavily leaning towards making the map only with the wwii scenarios in mind - 36 to 44, and not care about modern borders or the areas that weren´t fought upon during that time. That would mean sacrificing the americas, instead adding islands for naval flexibility and provinces to europe for a more thorough wwii experience.

Comments?

I think the first choice would be preferable, but within reason. I doubt I would be too picky about turning Kansas into one province--if a player is that far into the United States he's likely just about won anyway--but the East and West coasts should IMHO stay more or less as they are, as any invasion of the USA would probably be decided in littoral region.

Yuo dont need many new provinces, just those wich were left out from game (faroe islands etc.(?)) focus on redrawing old provinces. Salonika for example, looks realy odd.