• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Surgünoglu said:
Duritz, that won't work. If Carthage fails in war against the Seleucids (more likely, if we do not strike), what then? There will be no claws with which to pinch the Romans.

No, we must strike Seleucia, or rather Pontus, for that is our immediate goal. It's only a matter of when.

Seleucia first, then Rome.

I really can't see the glory in taking Rome, it seems like a pointless venture at this time, little in the way of easy to take resources or land, and they're not even a real threat at this time, Seleukia is much more of a problem, and Pontus would be a glorious steal, if the Oracle ordains that we should go to war.

Surgünoglu said:
So... we agree?

Pretty much, though I would go so far as to say never to bother with Rome unless they bother with us, and I can't see that happening if they can't handle Carthage.

Pontus our immediate goal? Sorry but I can't agree. Pontus represents a comfortable barrier between us and that great big yellow blob out east. Removing it in war, which would also involve war with said blob, is not a smart move.

Our fleet isn't big enough to take on Rhodes but you want to open us up to a war with the Selucids? Sorry but we just aren't in a position to do so. We have limited means of striking them while their navy gives them the ability to strike anywhere along our long, long coastline.

Rome hasn't been able to dent the Carthaginians which means they are tougher than they look. The early losses are a result of the Selucids striking at a relatively weak point in the Carthaginian empire, without warning. I doubt the seriousness or longevity of the conflict. If we begin a war with the Selucids where is our exit strategy if they make peace with Carthage?

Is it an opportunity? Yes. Is it worth the risk? Sorry but my answer remains no.

We don't have the luxury of waiting until Seleucia gains more power. They will either greatly weaken Carthage; which would be bad for us; or they will get stuck in a grinding war; from which we can profit at their expense. If we just stand by and watch Carthage get smacked around a bit while Seleucia gains power at their expense, we will soon find a Seleucia that is unstoppable. We have to fight them sooner or later and this seems like a reasonable time to take the risk. If both Carthage and Macedonia can chip away at Seleucia's strength at the same time, Seleucia should be greatly weakened and a much lesser threat to us in the future. Fortune favors the bold. ;)

I still say we should consult the Oracle..

All,

I'm in favor of all out war against Pontus.

You never know when a patch is going to obsolete this game.

Wait a few months while you do some scouting with the navy and prepare for war. Then attack Pontus when the Seleucids are commited against Carthage. It's now or never, and although I'm not a bold player I have a good feeling about this one. You can do it, King :D

Ok more information for the Macedonian Advisory council.

Both Pontus and Seleucids are out of manpower and pretty much broke, this is good. Both have successfully invoked an Omen giving them 10% more discipline and my odds of doing th esame are 50/50. The Selecuids and Pontus are at war with Carthage but the Bosporan Kingdom is not. The allainces are as follows Selecuids are allied with Pontus only, a war with the Selecuids means we are odds on to have a war with Pontus. The Bosporan Kingdom is allied with Pontus war with them probably means war with Pontus. Pontus is of course allied to both so if Pontus is the one we attack then we are probably going to be at war with 3 powers.

I have a few things to do this morning so the update might not be till this afternoon.

King said:
Pontus is of course allied to both so if Pontus is the one we attack then we are probably going to be at war with 3 powers.
In that case we might as well declare war on the Seleucids. There is no reason to risk a war with all three when it can be easily avoided. The only thing that could change this for me is if we can save a stab hit or two by declaring war on Pontus instead.

Thanks for the info.

Also, DoWing Pontus directly will bugger your relations with them - IIRC you had decent relations with that kingdom, and this may still come in handy one day, especially if it's possible to force a defeated enemy to cancel vassal relationships (can you?)

Only DoW Pontus if you can get a CB against them but not Seleuceia.

If you insist on war then, declare war on Bosporian kingdom, who we have neutral relations with. Then their ally Pontus, who we have good relations with, will declare war on us.
Result: War with Bosporians and Pontus, lower stab hit, no war with Selecuids.

C.N. said:
If you insist on war then, declare war on Bosporian kingdom, who we have neutral relations with. Then their ally Pontus, who we have good relations with, will declare war on us.
Result: War with Bosporians and Pontus, lower stab hit, no war with Selecuids.

I thought about that too, but that's not going to hamper Seleucid expansion. We need to slow them down and what better time to do that than now, when they are at war with another great power and out of both manpower and money?

You propose a "small" war that will no doubt strenghten us in the short term, but it will not help us out of our strategic trap. Only a war against the Seleucids or Rome can do that and there is no point in a war against Rome at this time. I (along with many others) propose an all or nothing war that will either break Macedonia or weaken our natural enemy number 1.

With the new information, it's clear we should DoW the Selucids.

I foresee doom for us this day...peace in our time!!

No doubts here, we need to go vs the Seleucids when their armies are at sea. We cant let both Egypt and Cartage alone, we are dead meat without them balancing the great powers, Rome will benefit to much.

An alliance with Parthia and Egypt would of course be nice, if possible.

The goal must be: A quick war, and a few provinces from the Seleucids or Pontus, to weaken them a little bit, and to spare Carthage from losing any ground.