• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
No wonder the Crovans have such a bad image. The scribes sleep through periods of glorious conquest and wake up to detail disgrace and defeat.

Maybe you could declare lazy scribes equal to heralds of rebellious vassals and have them executed? You could call them "enemy non-combatants". :D

Congratulations on 300 replies!

And brilliant military commanders are so passe. Only the failures and drunkards are interesting to historians! :)

The Crovan kings -- a good example of why history is all about wars, rebellions, and the Glorious House of Anonymouscommander :D

10 chapters about one year of civil war, and none about the peaceful times... quite realistic ;)

Sokraates: an excellent plan! Plus, the additional executioners would help create jobs and boost the economy! Sokraates for Minister of Interior!

General_BT: Indeed they are. How much fun is it to read about stomping yet another small country into dirt when instead you can read ca. 70 different ways of saying "Count X has rebelled"

Also, I am pretty pleased to cross the 300 mark...of course, 72 of them are my posts...probably about another 70-80 are my own replies to comments...but still! No one looking at the main forum screen knows that!

Jordarkelf: Good old Anonymouscommander! I had to physically restrain myself from making another joke about them in this update!

You aren't that far off on the ten posts for one year...here comes more 1280!

1280 some more

Skule Half-Dansson Crovan

King of All Norway of Sweden of Denmark of England and of Wales

Thoughts on the Civil War – the middle years, 1280 (age 14)

73-01.jpg

As usual, we open our story with a treacherous vassal.

73-02.jpg

Now Finland and Normandy have risen against me as well.

73-03.jpg

I know there is yet another rebellion going on in the British Isles, but I am ignoring that for the moment. You see, in Angermanland, my armies are pulling off a win against the rebel Duke of Norrland.

The armies of Norway are invincible! So long as we outnumber our enemies 53 to 1, anyway.

Oh wait a minute. My advisors have pointed out that Wulfhere is actually one of my loyal vassals and Arnvid is actually the treacherous traitor.

So we are actually losing, and quite badly up in Angermanland.

So, um, never mind.

73-04.jpg

Well, at least we won a real victory in Sjaelland. Can this day get any better?

73-05.jpg

Yes it can!

Trondelag’s Duke sees the wisdom of surrendering his lands to me and spending the remainder of his days in the dungeons.

73-06.jpg

Today word arrived that the obnoxious Duke of Gloucester has finally been crushed!

My enemies are dropping like flies!

I’m thinking about holding a “Victory Banquet.”

73-07.jpg

But first, my loyal vassals are entrusted with a 10,000 man army – the largest I’ve sent to Britain in quite some time. The Duke of Norfolk needs to learn a lesson.

73-08.jpg

The Duke of Jamtland rebelled today, once more blocking our critical access to glaciers, bears and frost-bite. Reducing them should take the better part of a week.

73-09.jpg

That’s alright Galloway, you’ll get yours soon enough.

73-10.jpg

Okay, now I’m starting to get depressed again.

So, to answer the question from last episode, no, we did not escape the year 1280. Skule did have some uplifting moments, but of course, his vassals ruined that by rebelling in droves yet again. How will this play out? Will Skule reach adulthood with sanity in tact? Will he reach adulthood? Will there be a Crovan Empire left when he does? The year 1280 grinds to a slow conclusion in our next exciting episode of The Adventures of the Crovan Clan!

Reactions:
Alfred Packer said:
Sokraates: an excellent plan! Plus, the additional executioners would help create jobs and boost the economy! Sokraates for Minister of Interior!

Thank you. I really appreciate it. Now regarding my salary ... ;)

7 (formerly) loyal vassals gone, 20 more to go (down the drain).

Äh. Develop the "cruel"-trait and kill off all vassals you've got. To use an old favourite-quote, vassals are for losers anyway.

Thus, also go for the loyal ones. It's obvious that they too will rebel in due time.

Sokraates: and they are dropping fast

Jordarkelf: Those parts of France used to be mine :p

I was on my way to claiming the French crown when the civil war broke out. I blame the French.

Snugglie: That they will. Miserable wretches!

Side note: Today is the last day for voting in the AARLand Awards! You don't have to vote for the Crovans (you can even lie and say you did but really vote for Passau - I won't mind) but go ahead and vote!

You can even PM your votes to Anonymous4401 so you don't hurt my feelings!

1280 - the year that keeps on giving

King of All Norway of Sweden of Denmark and of England

Thoughts on the Civil War – the middle years, 1280 – Now with More 1280!

74-01.jpg

I decided to spin off the Kingdom of Wales by giving it to this Swedish fellow who, to my knowledge, has never betrayed me. What I should be doing is getting rid of all these English vassals, but father spent so much time conquering here, I hate to part with it all.

74-02.jpg

It doesn’t get a lot of press, but when I am not in active bankruptcy, I do try to help the poor. I need at least someone in this stupid kingdom to like me.

74-03.jpg

What is really interesting about this morning’s reports from the front is that, apparently, we are at war with Bohemia. I’m sure I got a letter about this when it happened, but I guess I misplaced it. I wonder who owns Brandenburg? If it is one of my vassals, well, he probably had it coming.

74-04.jpg

Hmm. I guess the Duke of Brandenburg can’t take a joke.

74-05.jpg

We won a battle against the Norfolkians today. Any day now, he’ll start paying for his crimes.

Yep. Any day now.

74-06.jpg

I think I’m going to have to put that “Victory Banquet” on indefinite hold.

74-07.jpg

I spread out the messages on my desk this morning and looked them over.

Then I went and sat in a hot bubble bath with the lights out for the rest of the day.

74-08.jpg

Duke Saebert of Bergen finally surrendered. The old Skule would have gotten all excited about this, as if it meant the Civil Wars were finally petering out.

The new Skule knows that it just means three more vassals are about to rebel.

74-09.jpg

See?

74-10.jpg

The Duke of Cumberland accepted my peace offer of “Keep everything and just go away.”

For some reason, the Dukes of Norfolk and Hampshire did not accept this.

I am reduced to calling up the armies of my half-brother Sigurd.

Sigurd has not rebelled throughout this war. Probably he expects me to be murdered in short order by one of my legion of enemies so he can be King.

Of course, he may consider it a blessing to not be in charge of this rat’s nest.

And so, December 30 is upon us meaning that the next episode cannot take place in the year 1280. Join us next time as the Civil Wars continue (big shock!) and Skule comes of age on the next exciting episode of The Adventures of the Crovan Clan!

Reactions:
If the vassals continue to rebel at this rate, your special herald executioners will be out of business soon. Better retrain them to vassal executioners ... or soldiers. You'll be needing those.

1281-1283 - things are speeding up!

King of All Norway of Sweden and of Denmark

Thoughts on the Civil War – the middle years, 1281 – 1283

75-01.jpg

I can’t see any way to keep this place, and frankly, I don’t want it anymore, so I’ve decided to give England to my close, personal friend Duke Arne Brahe of Warwick. In all these wars he has loyaly and endlessly supported me. He deserves a reward for such courage and supportiveness. He would never betray me and so I’ve made him a King. Enjoy amigo!

75-02.jpg

I don’t know if I ever mentioned this before, but that rebelling Duke of Salisbury: my cousin Ogmund. I hate him, but whatever. I want wars in England to end, so I agreed to all of his demands – even the oddly specific one of exactly 38 pounds of gold.

75-03.jpg

What the hell Arne? Frankly, I have no idea why I am not suicidal.

75-04.jpg

Peace of God my ass….stupid Pope.

75-05.jpg

At least the Count of Akershus has been destroyed. Wait a second. The Count was Hakon Crovan? Are all these idiot rebels Crovans?

That would actually explain quite a lot.

75-06.jpg

Vastergotland has finally been retaken as well.

My new plan is to restore my Scandinavian domain by force and just pretend all the other wars are not happening. What could go wrong?

75-07.jpg

Fulfilling an obscure and, allegedly, ancient promise that some Akershus must always be in rebellion, the Duke of that name steps in to fill the void left by the Count.

75-08.jpg

With Bergslagen defeated, it looks like I might actually win this thing!

75-09.jpg

Now, some of my French “vassals” have offered to just take their lands and go away. Good riddance.

Plus, I got to string up a Bishop today. Everything is coming up Crovan!

75-10.jpg

I was getting ready for my Sweet 16th Birthday Party. While getting dressed, I took a look at myself in the mirror. Good Lord I look like crap.

I had the Royal Hairdressers give me the latest look for fashionable overlords, but still.

It would seem the Civil Wars are at last winding down. If only because there just aren’t that many vassals left to rebel! That 14 Intrigue is sure going to come in handy on the next exciting episodes of The Adventures of the Crovan Clan!

Reactions:
Sokraates said:
If the vassals continue to rebel at this rate, your special herald executioners will be out of business soon. Better retrain them to vassal executioners ... or soldiers. You'll be needing those.

I think you are right...this episode they got a bishop and that seemed to go well.

Skule, the King with more claims than soldiers... :D

1283-1285

Thoughts on the Civil War – the latter years, 1283 – 1285

76-01.jpg

Today, the Duke of Akershus surrendered. At this point, it is safe to say my enemies are losing.

76-02.jpg

And today, I have married the daughter of one of my vassals. I think her name is Margaret.

76-03.jpg

I was sitting up in bed all night last night wrestling with a decision. You see, I like very much being reckless, but at the same time, for obvious reasons, I don’t trust anyone on Earth.

As much fun as it would be to give in to the recklessness, I feel I should really concentrate on assuming everyone is out to get me. Especially since it is so obviously true.

76-04.jpg

Jamtland is finally retaken.

76-05.jpg

One of my advisors brought me conclusive proof that my Steward is a poor role model. Incidents of stealing money and personal property from liege lords, over-farming, and stealing all the good wine are on the rise throughout the country as rebellious youth follow his bad example.

I pointed out that he is clearly not trying to kill me, which, you know, makes him one of my finest followers. Maybe the youth will follow that example too.

76-06.jpg

Pal the Bastard, King of Scotland, has officially declared himself a legitimate heir of Half-Dan. I guess so, but as heir to the Scotland part, I wouldn’t be boasting so much.

76-07.jpg

Now Norrland has been recovered. I’m really feeling good about this now. If you notice, I have even had time to make snide comments about my half-brothers! This Civil War has to be about over.

76-08.jpg

And I have produced an heir, Hakon by name. He’s a strong and healthy looking lad, don’t you think?

76-09.jpg

Hampshire gets everything they ask for. I am so over the British Isles.

76-10.jpg

Oxford makes peace with me. Now, there are only a few scraps to be cleaned up. Oh, and the Dung-Encrusted Traitor-King Arne of England.

It would seem the Civil Wars are at last winding down. If only because there just aren’t very many vassals left to rebel! That 14 Intrigue is sure going to come in handy on the next exciting episodes of The Adventures of the Crovan Clan!

Reactions:
Well, you managed to survive -- and now that Pål is legitimized you stand a chance of inheriting Scotland back (although why you would want to is another thing!).

It's amazing Skule isn't stressed or worse yet with the size of his demesne!

"The latter years"? And the civil war still rages. It seems that King Skule will be named "The Civil War King" after his death.

Regarding Hakon: He's a bastard. Just look at those stats. Their what any normal Crovan would have after his education.

Sokraates: I'm sure the Gods of CK will consider his stats when determining his lifespan

Jordarkelf: I know...I did finally have to parcel out the remnants of the empire to new vassals out of concern (and a desire to have income, soldiers, etc...)

1285-1287 where we think about giving peace a chance

Thoughts on the Civil War – the latter years, 1285 – 1287

77-01.jpg

Today is the best day ever. I actually led the army into battle personally against those jerks in England and we won like the biggest victory ever. It was really close too. This army represented the very last reserves of Norweigan manpower. I’ve even drafted most of the Royal Herald Executioners into the ranks, so it was really the end if we couldn’t pull it off.

It was so awesome.

Yeah, we’re still at war and all but they can’t really bother me in Norway anymore.

77-02.jpg

Speaking of which, this has been a pretty eventful few years since dad died, so let me take a moment and show you my domains after the war. Norway is the areas marked in “Crovan Blue.”

Finland is owned by one of my traitor cousins. Those may or may not be vassals of mine in the south. I frankly don’t care.

77-03.jpg

In the west, things have totally fallen apart. I own that one piece of France and that swatch of the old Danelaw in England. That I am going to keep, just because it pisses off the English.

Them I still hate.

77-04.jpg

Now, I still have to hand out a good chunk of these lands…ah how I long for the days of Skofte when it could all be demesne!

My cousing Erik gets to be Duke of Bergen.

77-05.jpg

The confused Saxon Frank with the dynamite hair gets to be Duke of the Lapps.

77-06.jpg

I know, it is kind of spooky how they all look like me. Sometimes I think it’s a compliment and sometimes I am just creeped out. But no matter, Goat-Herd gets to be Duke of Jamtland.

77-07.jpg

This doppelganger gets to be Duke of Bergslagen.

77-08.jpg

I’ve decided it is just creepy. Even so, he gets to be Duke of Trondelag.

77-09.jpg

Johan here got to be Duke of Ostergotland so long as he got a haircut.

77-10.jpg

Now that’s much better. Let’s see – I am bringing in 13 pounds of gold a month in profit, and I owe…let’s see…ah here it is…5,903 pounds of gold.

Yep. We’re ruined.

Skule has parceled out his lands to a new band of corrupt, rebellious villains and the English (and possibly Bohemia?) are still at war with Norway. Nevertheless, things look much calmer for the Crovan Monarch as we prepare for the next exciting episode of The Adventures of the Crovan Clan!

Reactions: