• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
There needs to be some kind of limit on this though. 100,000 men are being pulled off the line in this AAR. I'm all for an AI prepared for sea invasions but this is just not reasonable (especially once the Axis's navy is neutralized like in a game I played). What if Paradox gave the Theatre AI the ability to split divisions to cover ports with brigades or have one division cover two ports which are close to each other. France in particular is the problem because they have a dozen mainland ports and most of them are extremely close to at least one other.

Its the really annoying Theatre AI thats causing France to re-deploy. It is really obsessive about having a division in every port province in its theatre. When I played as France in 1.4, I could never use the Theatre AI because when I did it would pull a dozen divisions off the front to cover every single port. Even when the Italian and German navies had been completely neutralized. Im disappointed that an AI country like France is doing that in Semper Fi. That is such a serious problem in France's case, I desperately hope that that can somehow be fixed either before release or in a patch.

It's a balance, the Guangxi AI protects its ports and then if something more interesting happens leave the ports free, that is really bad too.

IMHO, it´s okay the french AI does this. It´s not optimal, in this situation, but in most others, it should behave exactly like this. I recall a game, where i played the french (1.4) and landed behind the german lines at wilhelmshaven, because it was not protected. Sure, the french AI looses out on a couple of divs, where they are needed most badly this way, but that´s still better than to generally have the AI not protect its ports. I wouldnt want the temptation of deciding the campaign in the west, by landing in normandy, just because the AI was completely oblivious to the possibility of such a landing.

Yes, this is mainly a problem with the game mechanics and not the AI. The large number of provinces puts the human player into an advantage and invasions are an extreme example of it. I think Paradox needs to think about what they can do to simplify the task for the AI like to have more garrison units available as mentioned.

Another thing regarding the game mechanics is that against a big naval supremacy invasions should be more of a suicide job because the landed troops could be starved. Then the AI could learn to neglect the port defence a little in this case.

Last edited:
Don't forget an AI is never better than an human player, even on chess Kasparov was beaten like 3 times by the AI, he won numerous times against... So I think that Semper fi is way better scripted, also the OOB organiser is just so fine doing an offensive now no more messy situations when you had a brigade far away from is HQ....

Don't forget an AI is never better than an human player, even on chess Kasparov was beaten like 3 times by the AI, he won numerous times against...

Actually in this generality I think your statement is wrong. How good the AI can be compared to the human player depends on the kind of game. In chess the AI is a match for the world champion now and will ultimately become unbeatable even by the best humans. In GO even half serious amateur players can beat every AI. The problem for the AI with GO is that there are too many possiblities to calculate them in advance in some depth. Therefore the human intution is superiour. In chess the number of possibilities is also large but still calculable in some depth by modern computers now.

I think that the increased number of provinces from HOI2 to HOI3 has shifted the AI problem for the game into the GO direction.

He Singleton i like how you wrote "hogh see flotte" nice, i try to imagine how you speak it:D for the future it´s very simple "Hochseeflotte" one word. and a little excersise if you want to speak/wrote german, try "Streichholzschächtelchen" :D i think the germans used it to torture british prisoners in ww2:rofl:

Wouldn't be too much of a problem for me as our languages are very close to each other, I am Dutch. Had some German in school but seriously neglected it.

In Frances case I really think that the OOB should be updated with some additional Garrison divisions/brigades who should be placed at the ports,VP and airfields.

That would be a nice sollution indeed. And for 1940 historical as well iirc.

Chapter Six: Are they having a pick-nick?

On May 16th BEF's I, II and III corps are ordered forwards to a defensive position more to the east.
II corps in the north, moving towards Breda, III corps in the center, converging on Turnhout and setting up a defensive position on the Dutch border, and I corps in the southern part of BEF's sector moving on Leuven. Two days later a message reached II corps headquarters ordering them on towards Den Bosch. A substantial French and Belgian force is defending Eindhoven to the south but this area is in danger of being overrun by the German forces.

dcfps4.jpg

aewgsi.jpg

By the 22nd every unit is in position but the headquarters. IV corps, the reserve is moving up to the Brussels area. I had expected the Germans to have reached this line by now but they have not. Are they too weak or is the AI having problems with handling the attack. It is hard to see what is exactly happening with the jumble of units all around. The number of enemy divisions in Eastern Holland seems substantial enough to break the Allied defenses, that's why I moved the BEF into this area. But looking more to the south I can spot more Belgian and French divisions then German. Some attacks are going on such as near Eindhoven and north of Bastogne but it is the 23d already, the Germans should be well across the Meuse by now and I should have a serious headache. Thirteen days into Fall Gelb and the BEF has not seen any combat........

jrbiat.jpg

A look at the Air-mapmode shows me a lot of bombing is going on in the north, this is obviously the area where the Wehrmacht is putting its weight at the moment. It just isn't enough. Well, time to soldier on and perhaps we'll reach Berlin as did a famous Finnish force once, almost a year back ;)

You're judging the AI based on one game?

Indeed, don't. The AI is better but the set up in this scenario is all wrong and I guess no game would be able to completely represent the May 1940 campaign: the differences in use of forces and equipments, doctrines and combat tactics and strategies.

Care to explain a little more?

Well, it is more what I said after that part,

me said:
no game would be able to completely represent the May 1940 campaign: the differences in use of forces and equipments, doctrines and combat tactics and strategies.

the set-up is not right if you want the AI to achieve historic results.