Arsenal of Democracy has been delayed.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A pity, as I would have loved to have this in the dead period at work over the Xmas hols. The decision however is perfectly understandable and the right one I think.

Something must have gone horribly wrong here. You don't just cancel an advertised software release the day before launch otherwise. My personal feeling is that Paradox didn't want AoD to compete with HttT for sales during christmas, and possibly be able to give AoD a bit of extra marketing push later, though why they'd wait until the very last minute to postpone the game is anyone's guess.
I think it's this.

It's all PR folks. It's all PR (IMHO)

I'm sure, this was not an easy decision for the developers. But although many seem to be disappointed, we as customers'd be happy, that they stopped the release instead of selling a buggy game. It means for us, that we get a better game. They should take the time they need, to make AoD the best AoD they can make. We're going to play this game for years; should we care about a few weeks, honestly? ;)

It's a shame it's delayed.

Sorry but you see that they have recognized an issue and they have stopped the release. I think that you should acknowledge that they cared about the quality instead of throwing a game to make some money.
I would be more willing to ackowledge this, if I could complete a single game of HoI3 without it bogging down so much that it takes hours to play a couple months if lucky, save fail nonstop, and game fails to launch way to often still even with 1.3.

Another time Paradox shows a sales policy with a true lack of the prestige displayed the last years. The announcement of the delay of the almost finished product which is AoD only shows the loss of control of the situation. Many of us waited the release day like a Christmas gift, but the company disappointed us another time, first cheating the fans with a product far away of the minimum margins of acceptance (HoI3), releasing patch after patch trying to solve the ridiculous of the situation which only hurts the damaged prestige of Paradox and now delaying another product (AoD) without any justified cause. All believe that AoD is not finished but the Dev Diaries and the AAR show a finished game.

We fucked up on announcing the delayed release, since we've known about a delay for a few weeks, both me, the pr team and the developer. We should have made an announcement much earlier.

All believe that AoD is not finished but the Dev Diaries and the AAR show a finished game.

Except for those that have actually played the game.

Features are 99.99% polished and fine for Arsenal of Democracy. Its just too unstable to be released, and there are still too severe memory leaks.

We have said repeatedly the last few months on the forum that we will not release anything again without a proper QA on it, no matter how eagerly expected it is by a community.

If the version we recieved for the scheduled 17th december release had gone live, we'd see mostly threads like "paradox fails again", "shame on you for not testing games before release" and so on.

We're trying to make a game here that people will like and not spend hours frustrated cause it crashes randomly.

I hope everyone realizes Q1 2010 is from 1 January to 31 March...everyone talking about a "few weeks" should realize it could take months...

Well there also were DD's and AAR for HoI3 and noone really felt it coming...I think Paradox is not in contact with the AoD team 24/24 so there was a communication problem I guess.

We fucked up on announcing the delayed release, since we've known about a delay for a few weeks, both me, the pr team and the developer. We should have made an announcement much earlier.

Features are 99.99% polished and fine for Arsenal of Democracy. Its just too unstable to be released, and there are still too severe memory leaks.

We have said repeatedly the last few months on the forum that we will not release anything again without a proper QA on it, no matter how eagerly expected it is by a community.

If the version we recieved for the scheduled 17th december release had gone live, we'd see mostly threads like "paradox fails again", "shame on you for not testing games before release" and so on.

We're trying to make a game here that people will like and not spend hours frustrated cause it crashes randomly.

Thanks for the honest assessment...I for one appreciate that

Now that you've said it I'm going to hold you guys to that. Thank you for realizing that taking the time to polish and test products results in better PR and more sales.

All of us would rather play a working game months into the future instead of a broken one now.

Sorry but you see that they have recognized an issue and they have stopped the release. I think that you should acknowledge that they cared about the quality instead of throwing a game to make some money.

While I am of course dissapointed the game has been delayed, I feel it is a blessing in disguise.

First off, not only will we have a more stable product upon release...
Bust secondly, as one of the people working new and Improved TT's for all the nations, this gives us some breathing room, to make sure that more of the nations are finished and polished right of the bat (We have quite a few nations that are half done, or have seen no work at all. Please go to the link in my sig and help us out..).

I'm proud Paradox has made the decision to delay this game if it was not up to snuff. Hopefully this starts a new trend with the company.

I cant but agree with your policy on the matter...but man, i can tell you my heart is broken :_(

Darn, I'd been holding off buying a new game waiting for this one to be it. I've never played any of the EU games and that new FtG looks interesting being an AoD-like refinement of EU2, I might just have to try that now. I guess in my case you probably wound up selling an extra game with your delay, haha.

A good and thorough amount of testing can only be lauded. The only thing is that it's bad press to announce a game and than telling people the day before that it won't be released. Might want to adopt Blizzard's way of communicating: It will be released when it's done!

Status
Not open for further replies.