• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Delegate

Captain
73 Badges
Sep 11, 2008
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Darkest Hour
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pride of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Age of Wonders III
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Prison Architect
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Age of Wonders
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
Been playing a fun micromanage-more-than-usual China game, and went ahistorical, trying to preserve the empire and stay away from the treaties of humiliation.

By 1896 I had managed to get all the techs I needed to civilize and I had got the Ministerial government invention so I thought civilizing would follow pretty quickly. But it's 1906 and I'm getting ancy. How long does it usually take on average?

And yes, I'm sure many people have asked this in the past. :rolleyes:

Are you sure you have all the required techs for your version of the game? Preparing the path for civilization for my 1st game with China, I stumbled over some non updated lists of requirements on the internet and realized the problem only afterwards (IIRC, the one on Vickywiki didn't mention Iron steamers). You'd better check the civilize.txt in your files.

iron steamers? hmm id better take a look at that file, ive totally ignored the naval techs except to get naval professionalism because I was using the vicky wiki as well as my guide...

excellent! thank you for the heads up on that one, I would have just kept waiting... and waiting... and waiting some more. :wacko:

I've defintely far exceeded the other requirements, with a literacy rate of 69% generating some 0.80 research points annually [as an unciv :eek:!] and an industrial score of 3128, 862 prestige, and 30 military [thats with 202 native infantry divisions and a few regulars].

I think that it should be considered if naval technologies will be neccesary for civilizing. As Ethiopia I realy had another priorities, imho its ahistorical. Naval should be small cherry on top for great powers.

The answer to my question is that you need State & Government and Empiricism for it to trigger.

Thus, in addition to the technologies listed in Civilize.txt, you need those two technologies to become a civilized country.

I think that it should be considered if naval technologies will be neccesary for civilizing. As Ethiopia I realy had another priorities, imho its ahistorical. Naval should be small cherry on top for great powers.
I'm thinking that we should split it a bit so that naval techs can be a shortcut, though not the only exclusive way to civilise. Many people seem disatisfied with it.
The answer to my question is that you need State & Government and Empiricism for it to trigger.

Thus, in addition to the technologies listed in Civilize.txt, you need those two technologies to become a civilized country.
As I said, the next version will mention these technologies which are prerequisites for the ministerial government invention in the civilising events, so players know.

How about you offer some alternative to the naval tech - maybe one more level of tech in the army field and one more in the state & government field, if you don't want to go to Iron Steamers? That way if you can afford to go naval that will be the more sensible route - but if you play Abyssinia or Sokoto and you really can't spare the investments into naval tech, you have an alternative.

You could still disallow the non-naval route for all countries with a coastal capital. Brunei or Johore should not be considered civilized if they can't put steam boats into the water.

How about you offer some alternative to the naval tech - maybe one more level of tech in the army field and one more in the state & government field, if you don't want to go to Iron Steamers? That way if you can afford to go naval that will be the more sensible route - but if you play Abyssinia or Sokoto and you really can't spare the investments into naval tech, you have an alternative.

You could still disallow the non-naval route for all countries with a coastal capital. Brunei or Johore should not be considered civilized if they can't put steam boats into the water.
Yeah, good ideas!

More than one way to civ a cat

How about you offer some alternative to the naval tech - maybe one more level of tech ...

Should maybe be a couple of paths to civilization. Certainly an alternative to naval investment, and possibly a non military path or two.

Let's try a few categories centering on the main research groups and come up with some specs.

a] Standard.
b] Naval Supremacy.
c] Army Might.
d] Economic King.
e] Culture Shock.
f] Industrial something.

Just so there are some choices.

Personally I think that civilisation should also involve some diplomacy in it too. Afterall, it was the "civilised" nations who defined what was civilised or not. For that reason I think uncivs should be required to seek recognition from, say, 3(?) great powers by having good relations with them. I think the diplomatic thing should be a requirement for all civilising routes too.

I just tested the present requirements on Tibet.

First, Uncivilized is a social concept. But in Vicky it stops you from creating a mobilization pool and from transferring provinces in the trade screen and research values are a fraction.

This shouldn't be. You should always be able to trade and if necessary mobilization should be a tech to learn. Any negative conditions should be a consequence of some missing tech or cultural/religious/political problem, not a result of someone else's idea that you are behind.

Also it seems, many of the 'civilized' nations were less developed. Something wrong here.

Anyway, back to Tibet. I did pretty well meeting requirements, though it took a LONG while. Needing to research any of the 'ocean' techs was ridiculous. Not only that but it would never give me the ones necessary for 'civing'. In desperation I spent ten prestige to change to 'naval-industrial' and still it would give me every naval tech to learn except what I needed.

I ended 1935 still trying to finish researching steamers.

I had to research about 8 useless naval techs. Silly.

I'm not that familiar with the event script, could there be a test if the nation is land locked and an automatic alternative provided? That is if the more free form alternatives are less acceptable.

Why is early railroad necessary? The US and England are civilized nations and they are are experimental railroad.

The same conditions for being 'civilized' should apply to all nations.

Also. Having a tech isn't really indicative of being civilized. Applying that tech is necessary. So the scripts could test for if the transport level of a state was - 50%, indicating that a rail system has been put into practice.

I hope we can get an official update because though I could just change the event script myself that's gone if I reload or update the the game.

Summary:

WE DO NEED AN ALTERNATIVE CIV TEST FOR LAND LOCKED NATIONS.

We need a better more meaningful definition of what Uncivilized means and its effects. Those effects should be primarily concerned with social interactions between 'civilized' and 'uncivilized' nations.

Civilized is something of a relative term. China was once considered the preeminent civilized nation until only a few centuries ago.

My suggestion is a more dynamic definition of uncivilized and no specific practical penalties for the designation, only social ones. This means you could 'fall back' into being 'uncivilized' if your tech/infrastructure fell too far behind. So if you have 'Nation and State' and some fraction of prestige (for example) of the leader that's the line for being civilized, or 'un'. Something like that.

Remember that China was once considered the premier civilized nation up until only a few centuries ago.

Last edited:
First, Uncivilized is a social concept. But in Vicky it stops you from creating a mobilization pool and from transferring provinces in the trade screen and research values are a fraction.

This shouldn't be. You should always be able to trade and if necessary mobilization should be a tech to learn. Any negative conditions should be a consequence of some missing tech or cultural/religious/political problem, not a result of someone else's idea that you are behind.
Hardcoded. Nothing we can do.
Also it seems, many of the 'civilized' nations were less developed. Something wrong here.
I can't think of any in-game which are more technologically advanced than civilised nations upon start up.
Anyway, back to Tibet. I did pretty well meeting requirements, though it took a LONG while. Needing to research any of the 'ocean' techs was ridiculous. Not only that but it would never give me the ones necessary for 'civing'. In desperation I spent ten prestige to change to 'naval-industrial' and still it would give me every naval tech to learn except what I needed.

I ended 1935 still trying to finish researching steamers.

I had to research about 8 useless naval techs. Silly.
You should've traded techs some more. There is what, 150 techs? The average time of research for one tech is a year, yet there is only 100 years in the game...

As for it not showing up, well that seems bizarre unless you were very far behind in the tech race. This is why tech trading is essential also.
I'm not that familiar with the event script, could there be a test if the nation is land locked and an automatic alternative provided?
Would require a lot of events. Really not worth the slowing down of the engine which it will cause - much easier to just provide a generic alternative for all.
Why is early railroad necessary? The US and England are civilized nations and they are are experimental railroad.
'Civilised' status is relative. At the start of the game no-one has that tech, so their other technological advantages highlight that they are of a superior standing. By the time other nations have caught up almost (99% certain) every other civilised nation will have that tech.

As I said above, however, the idea of being civilised or not was subjective. It was the Western European powers who primarily defined what was "civilised" or not. This is why I suggested that diplomacy should be an aspect of civilising (though having good relations with 3 GPs would require a lot of event text, so perhaps it's best to have only 1(.
The same conditions for being 'civilized' should apply to all nations.
They are. There's some nation-specific routes, but the generic way is still there.
Also. Having a tech isn't really indicative of being civilized.
Well... it is. It shows how technologically advanced a country is, and therefore the capabilities of that nation to compete in a "civilised" world.
Applying that tech is necessary. So the scripts could test for if the transport level of a state was - 50%, indicating that a rail system has been put into practice.
Again, we can't. The engine is far too limited.
WE DO NEED AN ALTERNATIVE CIV TEST FOR LAND LOCKED NATIONS.
Yeah, and we will. However, it will be available to all uncivs.
We need a better more meaningful definition of what Uncivilized means and its effects. Those effects should be primarily concerned with social interactions between 'civilized' and 'uncivilized' nations.
I agree. This is why I suggested good relations with at least 1 great power being a requirement. It was the "civilised" great powers who decided what was civilised or not.
Civilized is something of a relative term. China was once considered the preeminent civilized nation until only a few centuries ago.
Yep, hence the point about the railways tech requirement above. Chinese was considered "civilised" as it was advanced (hence the importance of technology on status).
My suggestion is a more dynamic definition of uncivilized and no specific practical penalties for the designation, only social ones.
There's nothing we can do about the hardcoded nature of being an unciv. We've tried to make it fairer in a number of ways by having hidden events which 'level the playing field' by removing the double research malus they suffer (penalties on research as well as literacy growth, which contributes to research).
This means you could 'fall back' into being 'uncivilized' if your tech/infrastructure fell too far behind.
Again, this dynamic system would require too many events. They would slow the game down to an unbearable level. Think, nearly 300 countries to consider, 150 techs, checking against every other country too. It would break the game.

I would also dispute the relevance of this - the GP/Independent nation thing is one thing, but such a relative system would be far too fine and needless. Moreover, it shouldn't just be set that the bottom, say, 100 are the only uncivs.

I maxed all I could on tech trading. None of my tech trade partners had the steamer and Iron steamer techs either.

It just didn't like me.

Thanks for the response but don't worry about answering all my rambling rant, especially where I was repetitive. :)

Yea, some stuff is hard coded and it's good to know where those limits are.

So, great who will write the alternative 'unciv' and when will we get that in our hands? Officially.

It really does seem like a lot, especially for a small nation.

I've been testing the civ process and discovered I made a colossal error of oversight. While I understood to research the listed technologies I forgot that they needed prerequisites in other columns. It's often the case that we only see what we expect to see.

So, in fact the program did offer the proper techs and I should have been able to civ Liberia.

A different problem exists with a country like Brunei. It's population is so small that it can never get a 50 industry or a 1 military.

I forget if the scripts can detect total population but those values need to be scaled down for very small nations.

I've been testing the civ process and discovered I made a colossal error of oversight. While I understood to research the listed technologies I forgot that they needed prerequisites in other columns. It's often the case that we only see what we expect to see.

So, in fact the program did offer the proper techs and I should have been able to civ Liberia.

A different problem exists with a country like Brunei. It's population is so small that it can never get a 50 industry or a 1 military.

I forget if the scripts can detect total population but those values need to be scaled down for very small nations.
We have talked about altering the civilisation requirements for smaller nations. I agree to it as well. As for you not seeing the techs, this is addressed in the next version.