• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nice work, as ever! :)

Quick question - would you ever consider redoing some of the generic leaders too? That is, would you do some of your stlye designs for generic leaders (in the interest of making all the leaders look like they are done in the same style).

Maybe, but certainly not in the immediate future, as for now I'm still centered on finishing the Great Powers and the minor European nations :)

May i suggest one minor thing?

placing "von Roon" (PRU) at the end of the list and give him background "gifted_administrator"...i know it has been debated here - i change my mind - think he shouldnt be seen in active command

Italy (VII)

May i suggest one minor thing?

placing "von Roon" (PRU) at the end of the list and give him background "gifted_administrator"...i know it has been debated here - i change my mind - think he shouldnt be seen in active command

Notice taken.
Now, some more Italians:

Emilio De Bono (1866-1944)
ita_gen_debono.png

(Service: 1920-1943, Background: politician, Personality: cautious)
(HISTORICAL NOTE: Born at Cassano d'Adda, near Milan. He was one of the founders of the Fascist Party, and was executed in January 1944 due to his implication in the overthrowing of Mussolini in 1943.)

Admiral Baron Alfredo Acton (1867-1934)
ita_adm_acton_alfredo.png

(Service: 1915-1932, Background: war_college, Personality: able)
(HISTORICAL NOTE: Yet another member of the Acton family. The Italian branch of the Acton family descended from John Francis William Acton, 6th Baronet (1736-1811), a British politician who became prime minister of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies during the reign of Ferdinand IV of Bourbon. The family settled in the city of Naples and would give many marine officers during the XIX and early XX centuries first to the Borbonic Navy and later to the Regia Marina Italiana. )

Admiral Guido Biscaretti, Count of Ruffia (1867-1946)
ita_adm_biscaretti.png

(Service: 1916-1933, Background: aristocrat, Personality: indifferent)
(HISTORICAL NOTE: Born at Turin.)

Emanuele Filiberto di Savoia, Duke of Aosta (1869-1931) + Leaderfile done
ita_gen_aosta.png

(HISTORICAL NOTE: A member of the royal House of Savoy, eldest son of Amedeo di Savoia-Aosta -youngest son of Vittorio Emanuele II and king of Spain between 1870 and 1873-. His younger brother the Duke of the Abruzzi was an admiral in the Regia Marina during IWW.)

Francesco Saverio Grazioli
(1869-1951)
ita_gen_grazioli.png

(Service: 1917-1937, Background: school_of_offense, Personality: brash)
(HISTORICAL NOTE: Born at Florence.)

Ruggero Santini
(1870-1954)
ita_gen_santini.png

(Service: 1921-1938, Background: colonial, Personality: indifferent)
(HISTORICAL NOTE: Born at Ventimiglia Sicula, in Sicily.)

Admiral Angelo Ugo Conz
(1871-1948)
ita_adm_conz.png

(Service: 1920-1940, Background: diplomat, Personality: polite)
(HISTORICAL NOTE: Born at Ancona, in the lands of the old Papal States.)

Pietro Badoglio, Marquis of Sabotino and Duke of Addis Abeba
(1871-1956) + Leaderfile done
ita_gen_badoglio.png

(Service: August 1916-September 1943, Background: powerful_friends, Personality: imperious)
(HISTORICAL NOTE: Born at Grazzano Monferrato, in Piedmont.)

Alberto Bonzani (1872-1935)
ita_gen_bonzani.png

(Service: 1921-1934, Background: generals_aide, Personality: unsound)
(HISTORICAL NOTE: Born at Rimini in the Romagna; before 1860 Rimini belonged to the Papal States.)

Arturo Vacca Maggiolini (1873-1940)
ita_gen_vacca_maggiolini.png

(Service: 1920-1937, Background: professor, Personality: brutish)
(HISTORICAL NOTE: Born at Pinerolo, in Piedmont.)

after you've done the Italians and the minor Italians states, who do you suppose you'll do next? I can help out with China and Mexico if you are planning on doing them at some point! :)

Italy (VIII)

after you've done the Italians and the minor Italians states, who do you suppose you'll do next? I can help out with China and Mexico if you are planning on doing them at some point! :)

Thanks very much for your offer. I'm not planning on doing Mexican or Chinese leaderpics anytime soon. PW has already made quite an exhaustive research for the Chinese, but we could do with a bit of help for the Mexicans.

And now, the last Italians:

Admiral Alfredo Dentice, Count of Frasso (1873-1940)
ita_adm_dentice.png

(Service: June 7th 1918-1938, Background: aristocrat, Personality: careless)
(HISTORICAL NOTE: Born in Naples.)

Admiral Giuseppe Sirianni (1874-1955)
ita_adm_sirianni.png

(Service: March 26th 1926-40, Background: gifted_administrator, Personality: vainglorious)
(HISTORICAL NOTE: Born in Genoa.)

Ettore Bastico
(1876-1972)
ita_gen_bastico.png

(Service: 1928-September 1943, Background: powerful_friends, Personality: arrogant)
(HISTORICAL NOTE: Born at Bologna in the Romagna; before 1860 Bologna belonged to the Papal States.)

Alessandro Pirzio Biroli
(1877-1962)
ita_gen_pirzio_biroli.png

(Service: 1918-September 1943, Background:warmonger, Personality: fanatic)
(HISTORICAL NOTE: Born at Bologna in the Romagna; before 1860 Bologna belonged to the Papal States.)

Italo Gariboldi
(1879-1970)
ita_gen_gariboldi.png

(Service: 1931-September 1943, Background: professor, Personality: scared)
(HISTORICAL NOTE: Born at Lodi, in Lombardy.)

Ugo Cavallero
(1880-1943)
ita_gen_cavallero.png

(Service: December 1918-September 1943, Background: gifted_administrator, Personality: unsound)
(HISTORICAL NOTE: Born at Casale Monferrato, in Piedmont.)

Rodolfo Graziani, Marquis of Neghelli
(1882-1955)
ita_gen_graziani.png

(Service: 1921-1945, Background: rising_star, Personality: vainglorious)
(HISTORICAL NOTE: Born at Filettino in the Lazio; before 1860 Filettino belonged to the Papal States.)

In next post, leaders for the Two Sicilies.

Of course you can :)

Bear in mind though that I only make the pics, the task of making the files and putting it all together and available for download is done by PW, who is now on holiday and will remain so for a week or so. As for myself, I'm also leaving on holiday next saturday, and won't be back till late August or September :).

Thanks very much for your offer. I'm not planning on doing Mexican or Chinese leaderpics anytime soon. PW has already made quite an exhaustive research for the Chinese, but we could do with a bit of help for the Mexicans.

I can help out with mexicans, especially post-1911 ones. Also, quickly back to China, i am quite into the warlord period having done numerous bits of research for several mods across Victoria and HoI2 in general, if PW needs any hlep with post-1911 Chinese generals i am able to help!

Lastly, do you think you´ll be doing any other Russian leaders? More specifically Bolsheviks like Tukhachevski etc, and other White generals like Wrangel, Miller and Mai-Maevsky(spelling?) etc?

Well, here I am, back from my holiday. Sorry for the delay in answering, Kaiser Franz
Yes, we will be doing some Soviet leaders, although how will we deal with deam in the game is an altogether different matter. I mean, given that if I'm not mistaken Russia keeps the same country tag in the game after the Bolshevik Revolution, the appearance of such leaders should be activated by an event if Russia becomes communist. Otherwise, people as Voroshilov, Frunze or the likes of them would never have become general officers in the Russian army. And same happens with the White Leaders: if the october Revolution does not come to happen, then these leaders should be the leaders of the Russian army for the 1917-1936 period. In fact, I think that very few high ranking officers of the 1917-36 period had been already officers in the Tsar's army: the only exceptions that come to my mind now are Tukhachevsky, Shaposhnikov and Bonch-Bruevich. All these leaders have been already researched, and they will eventually get into the Leaderpack.

Btw, we intend to continue work on the Leaderpack at least until the appearance of Vicky 2.

Kingdom of the Two Sicilies (I)

The research for these leaders has been quite difficult. Of the three vanilla leaders, I've only been able to find the picture for one of them (Filangieri), while I've been unable to find pics for the other two (Lanza and Clary). As the main objective of the Leadermod is to improve the quality, both historical and graphical, of the leaders in game, I've decided to scrap these two guys, because I'll be adding some more leaders that will make up for their disappearance. Here you have a brief account of their historical importance anyway:

Ferdinando Lanza (1780-1865): in the vanilla game, he's in the game until 1871, which I find to be quite unlikely, unless we're willing to accept that like the Cid he kept on fighting after dead. Historically, he retired from the army after the fall of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies. He was a member of one of the principal families of Sicilian aristocracy, and he's mainly remembered for his actions during the 1860 campaign in Sicily. He was appointed governor of the island after the previous governor, the Prince of Castelcicala, had failed to stop the initial Garibaldine landing. Lanza was not only unable to prevent the fall of Palermo, but in order to punish the city for its Garibaldine sympathies, he ordered a brutal naval bombardment of the city that caused many civilian victims, definitely damaging the reputation of the Borbonic cause among Sicilians. After the fall of Palermo, he returned to Naples, where he was imprisoned at the island of Ischia and underwent an official enquiry along with other officers responsible for the Sicilian debacle.

Tommaso Clary was in 1860 commander of all the Borbonic forces in eastern Sicily. After Lanza departed the island, he became the de facto commander in chief in the island, and like his predecessor had done, he performed abismally, being completely unable to stop Garibaldi's advance. He also ended up at Ischia, his loyalty to the dinasty allowed him to get out of the whole affair and after the fall of the Kingdom he followed the exiled court to France, from there he would direct for some time the attempts to orchestrate a legitimist uprising in the territories of the old kingdom.

VANILLA LEADERS

Carlo Filangieri, Prince of Satriano and Duke of Taormina (1784-1867) + Leaderfile done
sic_gen_filangieri.png

(Service: 1831-1850, Background: generals_aide, Personality: harsh)
(HISTORICAL NOTE:One of the most relevant figures of the Neapolitan army during the XIX century. He was born into one of the main families of the Neapolitan aristocracy, and during the Napoleonic period he rose up steadily among the ranks first of Napoleon's army -as a young captain he fought at Austerlitz and later in Spain- and after his return to Naples, of king Murat's army. After the Borbonic restoration he remained in the army; he was a moderate liberal and took part in the 1820 uprising that reinstated the constitutional monarchy. After the Austrian intervention that restored absolute monarchy, he left the army and retired to private life until 1831, when Ferdinand II recalled him again. He supported the 1848 liberal movement, but in 1849 he remained loyal to Ferdinand II after the king suspended the Constitution that he had conceded the previous year, and afterwards he commanded the army that crushed down -bloodily- the Sicilian revolt against the absolutist Bourbon king. After that, he became viceroy of Sicily and ended up his career as prime minister of the kingdom. In 1860, he refused to command the Neapolitan army against Garibaldi's forces, allegedly due to his advanced age. The king's reluctance to follow his advice the year before -to enact liberal reforms and that the Two Sicilies should ally with the Piedmont and France against Austria- was one of the main factors that led to the fall of the dinasty.)

NEW ADDITIONS:

Admiral Baron Raffaele de Cosa (1778-1856)
sic_adm_decosa.png

(Service: 1840-50, Background: war_college, Personality: gallant)

Guglielmo Pepe (1783-1855)
sic_gen_pepe.png

(Service: 1813-1849, Background: politician, Personality: romantic)
(HISTORICAL NOTE: Should be active ONLY if Naples is NOT an absolute monarchy. Perhaps the most famous among the Neapolitan soldiers of the era. He began his military career in king Murat's army, and by the end of the Napoleonic rule he had already become a general. He was allowed to retain his rank under the restored Borbonic monarchy, but his liberal ideas led him to plot actively against their absolutist regime. When the news of the Spanish liberal uprising of 1820 reached Naples, he was one of the army commanders who forced king Ferdinand to issue the Constitution of 1820, but the following year the Neapolitan constitutional army was unable to stop the advance of the Austrian forces that restored king Ferdinand's absolute rule. General Pepe was forced to go into exile and only returned to the country after the 1848 revolution, in which king Ferdinand II had been forced to issue a new Constitution. He was put in charge of the army corps of 30,000 men that the new liberal government decided to send north to help the Piedmontese in their struggle against the Austrians. But when the army reached Bologna, news arrived that back in Naples the king had suspended the Constitution and after seizing again the absolute government of the state, had recalled his forces back to the south. Some 2000 men, both soldiers and officers, refused to obey the command, and Pepe led them to Venice, where they made a great contribution in the several months long siege of the city. The fall of Venice in 1849 forced him to flee Italy again, and died in exile a few years later)

Count Francesco Traversa (1786-1861)
sic_gen_traversa.png

(Service: 1851-1861, Background: engineer, Personality: resolute)
(By 1860, general Traversa had been for some time the commander of the Engineer branch of the Neapolitan army. His son, also an engineers officer, defected to the Garibaldines, but general Traversa decided to remain loyal to Francis II to the end. He was responsible for strengthening the defenses of the fortress of Gaeta, being killed in action when Sant'Antonio battery was blown up by Piedmontese artillery fire on February 5th 1861.)

Francesco Emanuele Pinto y Mendoza, Prince of Ischitella and Migliano, and Marquis of Trevico and Sant'Agata (1788-1875)
sic_gen_ischitella.png

(Service: 1815-1861, Background: aristocrat, Personality: arrogant)
(Perhaps the second most respected Neapolitan general after Carlo Filangieri during Ferdinand II's reign, during the 1850s when he was Minister for War and Navy for several years, and like Filangieri he too refused command of the Borbonic army against Garibaldi's forces. He began his military career in Murat's army, and after taking part in the Russian campaign of 1812, by 1815 he had already become a division general at the age of 27. He remained loyal to the Borbonic dinasty till the end, and after the fall of the kingdom, he exiled himself in Paris.)

Leopoldo Giovanni Giuseppe di Borbone, Prince of Salerno (1790-1851)
sic_gen_salerno.png

(Service: 1809-1851, Background: aristocrat, Personality: calm)
(Son of king Ferdinand I of the Two Sicilies and brother of Francis I. When he was only 19 years old he commanded the expedition that recaptured the islands of Capri, Ischia and Procida from the French. The Austrian defeat at Wagram though put an end to the war of the Fifth Coalition, forcing the Borbonic forces to sail back to Sicily.)

Paolo Ruffo, Prince of Castelcicala and Duke of Bagnara (1791-1867)
sic_gen_castelcicala.png

(Service: 1837-1861, Background: generals_aide, Personality: diplomatic)
(HISTORICAL NOTE: Member of a family of the Sicilian aristocracy, he began his career in the Borbonic army during the Napoleonic Wars, when the Bourbon kings only retained Sicily. He served as Lord Wellington's aide during the battle of Waterloo, and afterwards occupied many important charges in the borbonic administration -he was even ambassador to London for some time. In 1860, he was the viceroy of Sicily, and his failure to prevent Garibaldi's landing at Marsala and his advance towards Palermo caused his dismissal by the king.)

Gennaro Férgola (1793-1870)
sic_gen_fergola.png

(Service: 1859-1870, Background: school_of_defense, Personality: gutsy)
(HISTORICAL NOTE: Just ascended to brigade general in 1859 after a long career, he became by royal designation the commander of the fortress of Messina, which became the only remaining strongpoint under borbonic control in Sicily after the Garibaldine conquest of the island. He rejected all the offers of honourable surrender and after the fall of Gaeta when Francis II was forced to leave the kingdom, he kept on fighting, stating that he had received no orders from the king to hand over the fortress. It was necessary for general Cialdini to move to Messina with the army that had taken Gaeta, finally forcing the citadel of Messina to surrender after being practically reduced to rubble by the Piedmontese new rifled artillery.)

Giosuè Ritucci (1794-1869)
sic_gen_ritucci.png

(Service: December 21st 1853-February 13th 1863, Background: exranker, Personality: cautious)
(HISTORICAL NOTE: He was one of the relatively few high ranking officers who remained loyal to Francis II until the bitter end. He commanded the Borbonic army during the indecisive battle of the Volturno in september-october 1860, which was the last opportunity for the Borbonic army to defeat Garibaldi; his hesitancy and defeatism while conducting the battle allowed the Garibaldine forces a breathing time until the arrival of the regular Piedmontese army sealed the fate of the Two Sicilies. He would still be appointed commander of the fortress of Gaeta during the final and futile resistance against general Cialdini's army.)

Ferdinando Nunziante, Marquis of San Ferdinando (1801-1852)
sic_gen_nunziante.png

(Service: September 1844-1852, Background: war_college, Personality: soldierly)

I am still amazed you even found a single picture. :cool:

Kingdom of the Two Sicilies (II)

Riccardo de'Sangro, Duke of Sangro (1803-1861)
sic_gen_sangro.png

(Service: June 15th 1849 - February 5th 1861, Background: cavalry_school, Personality: gallant)
(HISTORICAL NOTE: Belonged to one of the most important aristocratic lineages of the kingdom, that of the princes of San Severo. Remained loyal to Francis II until the end, and died of typhoid fever during the siege of Gaeta.)

Johann Lucas von Mechel (1807-1873)
sic_gen_mechel.png

(Service: 1860-1872, Background: school_of_offense, Personality: brash)
(HISTORICAL NOTE: Swiss officer in the service of the Bourbon kings of Naples, and one of the most distinguished commanders of the Borbonic army during the struggle against Garibaldi's forces. He was the most effective defender of Palermo against the Red Shirts and again played an important role during the battle of the Volturno, where he lost his only son in combat against the "Esercito Meridionale".)

Ferdinando II di Borbone, King of the Two Sicilies (1810-1859)
sic_gen_ferdinando.png

(Service: 1820-56, Background: gifted_administrator, Personality: bigoted)

Girolamo Calà Ulloa (1810-1891)
sic_gen_ulloa.png

(Service: 1848-1875, Background: professor, Personality: impulsive)
(HISTORICAL NOTE: Should be active ONLY if Naples is NOT an absolute monarchy. Of liberal ideology, he was a member of general Pepe's corps that went north to help against the Austrians in 1848. He decided to disobey the king's commands and followed general Pepe to Venice; after the fall of the city he found that he could not return to Naples. Many of his colleagues, like the Mezzacapo brothers or Enrico Cosenz settled in Piedmont and eventually joined king Vittorio Emanuele's army, but that was not Ulloa's case, instead he became a quite respected writer on military history and tactics. For a brief period of time, he returned to the Two Sicilies in 1860, and was given command of the Neapolitan forces that tried to stop Garibaldi's advance from Sicily towards the capital, but the defection or surrender of many of his subordinates to the enemy made all his attempts unsuccessful. He prompty resigned again, retiring into private life until his death.)

Josep Miquel Francesc Borges (1813-1861)
sic_gen_borges.png

(Service: 1861-1878, Background: expert_raider, Personality: clever)
(HISTORICAL NOTE: General Borges belonged to a Catalan traditionalist military family. His father, a general in the carlist army, was captured and executed by government forces, and his elder brother, also an officer in the carlist army, was killed in action, both during the First Carlist War. When the war ended, general Borges refused the amnesty offered by the government and fled to France, later joining the Second Carlist War in Catalonia. In 1861, after the fall of the kingdom of the Two Sicilies, he offered his services to the exiled Borbonic court and was sent with a small detachment to Calabria with hopes to initiate a general legitimist uprising against the new Italian administration. The uprising did not happen, and general Borges tried to flee to the Papal States, but after crossing all of southern Italy he was finally captured and executed by Italian forces in the Abruzzi, on 8th December 1861. )

Ferdinando Beneventano del Bosco (1813-1888)
sic_gen_bosco.png

(Service: 17th August 1860-1878, Background: school_of_offense, Personality: gallant)
(HISTORICAL NOTE: Probably the most able among the Borbonic officers who fought against Garibaldi's forces. After almost defeating Garibaldi at Milazzo with inferior forces on 17-24th July 1860, he was promoted to the rank of Brigade general. After the fall of the Kingdom, he went into exile and did not return to Italy until 1881)

Giuseppe Salvatore Pianell (1815-1892)
sic_gen_pianell.png

(Service: 1855-1883, Background: war_college, Personality: able)
(HISTORICAL NOTE: General of brigade in 1855, by 1860 he had already been promoted to the rank of "maresciallo di campo" (equivalent to division general in the army of the Two Sicilies). Minister of War for a few weeks in 1860, just when Garibaldi had finished the conquest of Sicily and was about to invade the continental part of the Kingdom, his defensive plans collapsed totally when several important Borbonic detachments in Calabria and Lucania surrendered to Garibaldi's forces without fighting. He resigned and left active service on 31st August 1860, exiling himself in Paris. After the fall of Gaeta and the annexation of the Two Sicilies to the new Kingdom of Italy, he joined the new Italian army with the rank of Division general. During the 1866 war against Austria, he was one of the very few Italian commanders to achieve successes against their Austrian foes. He eventually reached the rank of Full General and was made a vitalician senator by royal designation in 1871. Although his surname appears incorrectly spelled as "Pianelli" in several sources -even in the Italian Senate's webpage- its correct spelling is "Pianell")

Matteo Negri (1818-1860)
sic_gen_negri.png

(Service: September 1860-1883, Background: artillerist, Personality: inspiring)
(HISTORICAL NOTE: Due to his military prowess in combat against the Garibaldine forces, Matteo Negri went from artillery major to division general in just two months before beign killed in action during the battle of the Garigliano river against general Cialdini's army in late October 1860.)

Admiral Luigi Carlo Maria di Borbone, Count of Aquila (1824-1897)
sic_adm_aquila.png

(Service: 1845-13th August 1860, Background: aristocrat, Personality: perverse)
(HISTORICAL NOTE: King Ferdinand II's youngest brother. Along with another of his siblings -Leopoldo, count of Siracusa- he plotted against his brother and when he passed away, against the new king, his nephew Francis II. Commander of the Navy of the Two Sicilies, he was the main responsible for its defection "en masse" to Garibaldi in 1860. Expelled summarily from the kingdom by Francis II on 13th August 1860.)

Alfonso Carlo di Borbone, Count of Caserta (1841-1934)
sic_gen_caserta.png

(Service: 1861-1906, Background: aristocrat, Personality: deeply_religious)
(HISTORICAL NOTE: One of the younger brothers of the last Borbonic king of Naples, Francis II. As a brigade general, he took part in the fight against Garibaldi's forces, and in 1874 he joined the Carlist army during the Third Carlist War in Spain, becoming overall commander of the carlist forces in the northern theater during the last year of the war. In 1931, after the death without heirs of his nephew Jaime de Borbón, he became the Carlist pretendent to the Spanish throne.)

Neapolitan leaders finished. I'll start now working with the remaining Italian states.