• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Ari IQ

Recruit
Nov 30, 2016
I havnt seen anyone else post this issue yet, but whenever I open any map view (other than terrain or roads), a white diagonal line from one corner of the screen cuts across to the other corner, totally bisecting my screen and leaving the top half totally white.

I'm running on a mac, and this only started with the recent update.

Reactions:
Upvote 0
Whilst i understand the frustration, i think that you, @SDEV , are being rude and unhelpful.

The issue that is at hand only affects (as i understand) a very small portion of people (myself included) - and these people are ones with hackintosh setups (Going into the whole hackintosh scene, you knew full well that not all things ill work 100% correctly).. So for CO devs to be able to replicate this issue will require a similar build to us (compatible parts, nvidia GPU, drivers, kexts and patience), and then will need to runs tests and check logs to try and diagnose the issue, create fixes, QA checks (so it does not effect/break anything else), then release the patch. Not a straight forward task at all.

Now, saying the game is unplayable is a bit of an exaggeration, as i have been playing the game (using mods, workshop items etc fine), and adapting to the diagonal line. Yes it is annoying, but hey... i will put up with it to play such a great game.

So from what i can gather, this new issue has only occurred after version 1.5 update in December - so there is hope they will be able to rectify the issue at some point, and i believe that @co_emmi and the developers are working on the issue, and will hopefully solve it soon.

Finally, CO keep up the good work, and i am looking forward to the Mass Transit expansion pack, and will still play it - with or without the diagonal line.

Whilst i understand the frustration, i think that you, @SDEV , are being rude and unhelpful.

The issue that is at hand only affects (as i understand) a very small portion of people (myself included) - and these people are ones with hackintosh setups (Going into the whole hackintosh scene, you knew full well that not all things ill work 100% correctly).. So for CO devs to be able to replicate this issue will require a similar build to us (compatible parts, nvidia GPU, drivers, kexts and patience), and then will need to runs tests and check logs to try and diagnose the issue, create fixes, QA checks (so it does not effect/break anything else), then release the patch. Not a straight forward task at all.

Now, saying the game is unplayable is a bit of an exaggeration, as i have been playing the game (using mods, workshop items etc fine), and adapting to the diagonal line. Yes it is annoying, but hey... i will put up with it to play such a great game.

So from what i can gather, this new issue has only occurred after version 1.5 update in December - so there is hope they will be able to rectify the issue at some point, and i believe that @co_emmi and the developers are working on the issue, and will hopefully solve it soon.

Finally, CO keep up the good work, and i am looking forward to the Mass Transit expansion pack, and will still play it - with or without the diagonal line.

I don't disagree with your post, but just wanted to add that I have this issue, but I don't have a hackintosh- just a straight up MacBook Pro that I bought specifically for this game (and worked really great until this bug happened).

I don't disagree with your post, but just wanted to add that I have this issue, but I don't have a hackintosh- just a straight up MacBook Pro that I bought specifically for this game (and worked really great until this bug happened).

I was unaware that it affected proper Macs as well. But my comments still stand, and considering this looks like it affects all Macs, i would have a guess that this issue would actually be high up on their bug list and they would be actively looking into it.

I understand what you are saying and yes we have real macs too and have the issue, yes my last post could be a little rude but if you read my last posts we love CO's work and this game so please back tract to read these things first, my issue is not as such with CO themselves as a whole but as the treatment towards Mac users being lower down on the list than PC users. To top off the issues we know what it would take to fix what i'm saying we are in no way a large company on the developer front with only 27 developers but if we had a game or any of our software had a bug as big as this (big being affected 50% of our target market PC vs MAC) we would put all 27 developers working 24/7 on the matter until it is solved, our teams have said given the access to the code this in most cases would of been fixed after 48hours.

But to add again we love CO's work and being the owners of 40 copies of this game and add-ons you see our love for it( also you would know if you read past posts), but the point still stands as much as we love the company and their games, for an issue that should be a quick fix being broken for so long is a big kick in the teeth for mac users.

Ask yourself this, would this issue still be around if it affected PC users only chances are NO it would have been fixed a short week or so after the issue started in December.

So please next time read all the comments from the past before commenting, but most of all have a good day.

@AndrewT any chance related to this kind of issue, re: unity? http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/1104267/game-is-cut-diagonal-when-built-looks-fine-in-unit.html

I'm having the issue too, on a Mac Pro (4,1->5,1) Sierra w/ GTX 1080 Ti. (Wasn't happening with my HD 7950 previously.) Happy to do what I can to resolve the problem.

Has someone at CO been able to reproduce it yet?

I can submit a report to NVIDIA and/or Unity if no one has yet and we're pretty sure it's not an in-game issue.

@Ari IQ and anyone else who first noticed this bug: was there a particular update that caused it to start happening? If so, perhaps CO could tell us if that updated included a change to the Unity platform version used to build the game? That would help us narrow down where the bug might be.

Thanks all.

@AndrewT any chance related to this kind of issue, re: unity?
I can't say, sorry, i have nothing to do with CO or development for this game or Unity. It's probably @co_emmi we need in here to answer that.

I can submit a report to NVIDIA and/or Unity if no one has yet and we're pretty sure it's not an in-game issue.
AFAIK it only happens when you use the updated nVidia drivers, not the MacOS ones. Which would indicate it's an nvidia issue, yes.

@Ari IQ and anyone else who first noticed this bug: was there a particular update that caused it to start happening? If so, perhaps CO could tell us if that updated included a change to the Unity platform version used to build the game? T
It's pretty well documented this started with the 1.6 game patch in December, which included a Unity update, yes.

Just installed Skylines on my new CustoMac comp and I'm getting both of these issues as well. Using the latest version of Mac OS (10.12.4) and the latest Nvidia web drivers (378.05.05.05f02).

GPU: MSI GTX 970 4GD5T OC

Right. Well, I tried manually updating the Unity DLLs in the game package. The current version is 5.4.1; updating to 5.4.5 didn't fix the issue, and the 5.5 and 5.6 version don't get to the splash screen -- just a single black screen.

But perhaps I just did something wrong.

Looks like one of the lighting modes has been deprecated starting in 5.5, and I wonder if that's a problem.

Would be nice to know a little more about what lighting modes C:S uses so I can try to reproduce the problem in a sample Unity app.

@co_emmi: any insight you can offer?

Finally, I only have the base game, no DLC. Can someone with the expansions confirm that they're affected too?

The issue is now fixed on the newest patch for Mac's which support Metal and have 10.11 El Capitan or newer (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205073). If the computer is supported by metal but does not start the game, "-force-glcore" in launch option might help.
I knew you guys would come through. You guys rock!
Thanks heaps for this, and well done on the Mass Transit DLC.

The issue is now fixed on the newest patch for Mac's which support Metal and have 10.11 El Capitan or newer (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205073). If the computer is supported by metal but does not start the game, "-force-glcore" in launch option might help.
Didn't work for me. I have already purchased and installed mass transit, added the "-force-glcore" code, and I am launching from steam. Is there another patch I need to download manually? If not, any other ideas?

Didn't work for me. I have already purchased and installed mass transit, added the "-force-glcore" code, and I am launching from steam. Is there another patch I need to download manually? If not, any other ideas?
Are you sure you got the code in correctly? This can be seen in your player.log
What exact Intel video system do you have?
And what OSX/MacOS version?

Last edited:
Are you sure you got the code in correctly? This can be seen in your player.log
What exact Intel video system do you have?
And what OSX/MacOS version?
I can't find the log. I did a search in finder for "Player.log" but that turned up no results. I have confirmed through the steam launch options however that I have input "-force-glcore". Is the command supposed to have quotation marks? The problem occurred both with and without -force-glcore enclosed in quotation marks but I want to have this clear for troubleshooting. My graphics card is listed in "About this mac" as "Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB". My OS Version is version 10.12.4