• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 Dev Diary #61: The Dragon Throne

Hello folks!

The Swedish summer vacations are drawing to a close and I’m back and eager to talk some more Crusader Kings! What better way to kick off the end of summer than by revealing the theme of the next expansion? Yes my friends, it’s China! Now, before you get all emotional one way or the other, we’re not actually going to expand the map farther east. We considered doing that, long and hard, but eventually decided on a different approach that would not strain performance and stability beyond reason. As I mentioned in Dev Diary #51, it bothers me that the eastern edge of the map just cuts off in such an unnatural way. Playing in the Orient, you should always feel like you’re in the shadow of the Dragon. It should be an interesting and dynamic region right in the center of the Old World. So, we came up with the idea of adding China as a political entity even though you cannot actually see most of its territory.

The Dragon Throne.png

There is a new screen you can open up, which, if you’re within range of China, allows you to interact with the Emperor in various interesting ways. China can grant many wonderful boons if you’re in the emperor’s good graces, but, depending on the current status and policy of the Dragon Throne, the emperor can also decide you’d better show some respect and become a tributary state. When there is turmoil in China, displaced or fleeing armies can arrive on the map and cause all kinds of trouble. China can even seize and rule actual provinces, but the emperor leaves the governing of such areas to the Governor of the Western Protectorate (or, to be a stickler, the “Protectorate General to Pacify the West”.) Potentially, this on-map part of China can grow enormously powerful, but you should not have to worry too much as long as you enjoy the emperor’s grace…

That’s going to be all for now. I’m sure you have a million questions, but you’ll have to wait for the upcoming dev diaries. :)

Meanwhile, remember to tune in to our CK2 livestreams between 16 to 18:00 CET!

Will the state of China carry over to EUIV when using the converter? :)
Yes - the Emperor and Dynasty will be converted, and EU4 Ming will be replaced by whatever is in CK2 (Yuan, Tang, etc). Culture and religion will also be converted over. Any land held by the Protectorate will be given to China proper. :)

Yes - the Emperor and Dynasty will be converted, and EU4 Ming will be replaced by whatever is in CK2 (Yuan, Tang, etc). Culture and religion will also be converted over. Any land held by the Protectorate will be given to China proper. :)
And you are seriously going with "the emperor of china likes... " for the mechanic?

Well just so you know it the emperor of china does not like elephants.... wait how can the emperor of china like tributaries? tributary has a t in it.

Reactions:
Culture and religion will also be converted over.
Implying they could change...
Vaguely implying the player could make them change...

So we could get a Cathar Dutch Song dynasty, right? :D That's the only reason I play Paradox games :)

And you are seriously going with "the emperor of china likes... " for the mechanic?

Well just so you know it the emperor of china does not like elephants.... wait how can the emperor of china like tributaries? tributary has a t in it.
They've only had a couple weeks to make this little UI thing up, and it looks very bare bones to me. I'm sure they'll make something better out of it in the coming months.

*Yuan dynasty intensifies* BTW are you adding that small piece of Burma to the map? Not that it would be that important, but it would be kinda logical since we got Tibet.

Meh.

That's great!

However, I have another suggestion:

In fact, "Daizong" is just his posthumous title (yes, that means nobody knows who is "Daizong" when he is still alive!). His real name is Li Yu (李豫).
We're aware it isn't quite accurate to use the temple name during their lifetime, but we decided it was the best course of action given that we need the names to be both consistent and recognizable.

Pretty nice!

How moddable will this feature be? Will we be able to add new titles accessible through such an interface? Is it possible to add other conditions than diplomatic range for interacting with China?
It'll be highly moddable.
You can add more offmap titles.
Diplomatic range is more than just the regular diplomatic range system, and basically any restriction can be modded in.

Can you add an option to start game as a protectorate to any date? Something Similar to Merchant republics would be nice. Of course it will lead to play without achievements. Also playable aztecs would be handled the same way. Just an Event at start of the game that gives troops or ships in a random province at the edge of the map that you can control

I hope, I really hope that the expansion won't be focusing on China and Asia. I mean it's supposed to be the last expansion right ? I'd like it to include as many features as possible for as many cultures as possible.

Last edited:
I hope, I really hope that the expansion won't be focusing on China and Asia. I mean it's supposed to be the last expansion right ? I'd like it to include as much features as possible for as many cultures as possible.
Either the last or the second-last. They've said they might add one last expansion to round it all up.