• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Weren't the dominicans founded in the 13th century? It would be odd to see dominicans in the 9th century. Is there a formation event for new societies or can new societies even be formed through events?

22 December 1216

@Darkrenown, @Doomdark, why will there be Dominicans in the time of Charlemagne?

Reactions:
Will the new event accept/decline windows (second picture in OP) have keyboard shortcuts included or moddable?

I'm glad they finally decided to give the old WE portraits a redo. P-Dox screwed them up when they decided to compress the WE portraits. The WE portraits have been hideous ever since. Whose ever idea it was needs to be slapped with the common sense stick and put in the time out corner.

Reactions:
I'm glad they finally decided to give the old WE portraits a redo. P-Dox screwed them up when they decided to compress the WE portraits. The WE portraits have been hideous ever since. Whose ever idea it was needs to be slapped with the common sense stick and put in the time out corner.

Portraits only apply to Germans, Normans, and the English as far as we know.

The French, Poles, Czechs, Hungarians, and everyone in the Balkans pretty much keep the old portraits.

So do Arabs, Berbers, Egyptians, and Levantines, for that matter.

Reactions:
I know you already said that heretics can only join orders associated with their parent religion if they've taken over their religious branch, but is it possible to have an order associated specifically with a heresy? Like, if I wanted to mod in a monastic order specifically for Cathars, would that be possible without them having to take over Catholicism first?

Reactions:
Seeing how societies will be moddable, will it be possible to mod in the ability to publically follow one faith but privately follow another? Like the Norse kings who converted to Christianity; many of them merely converted for political convenience, so it would make sense to allow them to join a pagan society as a Christian if they aren't zealous.

Also, will secular societies be moddable, so that anyone can join regardless of their religion (or as long as they're in the same religious group)?

EDIT: Another question; will you be able to form your own society?

Last edited:
Reactions:
Seeing as how this is the second to last DLC to CK2 and it's not going to include playable theocracies, does anybody really still believe it's going to happen?

Reactions:
No Francisicans or Cistercians? Disapointing.

Is that why the Pope was able to repeatedly excommunicate both the Byzantine Emperor and the Patriarch of Constantinople in the centuries before the Great Schism and have them care about said excommunication? Because they were functionally seperate?

They'd be separate in 769 anyway, since Byzantium is Iconoclast. Unless you want Byz and the West holy waring each other for being heretics.

When did they say this was the second to last DLC?

Well since they announced there were only two DLCs left. Unless this one is somehow the last one, and there's another secret hidden DLC we haven't heard of yet, then this is the second to last DLC CK is getting.

Well since they announced there were only two DLCs left. Unless this one is somehow the last one, and there's another secret hidden DLC we haven't heard of yet, then this is the second to last DLC CK is getting.

Three to go including this one, at maximum. This is a minor, WoL sized, DLC. There is one major DLC remaining after this and they said perhaps one minor DLC after that one to finish up.

Reactions:
It is true that some orders came by the 13th century. But the movement as such existed outside those orders long before that. St. Benedict lived in 5th century (which most orders were influenced by, the rule of St Benedict). The root of it is "mono" as in solitary/lonely life to gain a stronger connection with God. And that stuff may itself be imported from Egypt:ish areas far earlier. Heretics often critized the pope and the church for not living like Jesus (in poverty) and one part of battling them was to institute those orders (but among people living by such rules were already common) to gain more credibility in that area, with some nice side-effects such as raising money, preaching and also combating the heresy itself. During 11th century there was a huge religious awakening in Christian europe and many had a genuine interest in dedicating their life to poverty, chastity and obedience. Convents were especially popular and there are many records of e.g. women who could not get in because they were full. I agree that some of the formal orders acknowledged by the pope came a bit later, but many others, including informal ones, already existed. In other words it also comes down to how much importance you put in the pope blessing something largely already existing vs them existing in the first place. So in part I think this can be forgiven.

Reactions:
Also in the stream we saw the W.I.P buttons on the character naming window. Firstly thank you for what we assume is at least one naming button, possibly three or four.

There are 4 naming buttons, and while they don't quite cover your suggestion I think they'll help a fair bit.

I do hope that the days of such clunkers are over. :) But apparently, there are no Sufi orders, so who knows?
No Francisicans or Cistercians? Disapointing.

Sufis, or indeed Francisicans/Cistercians, aren't missing because we forgot about them or didn't want them, but simply because there is not enough time to make every Society we want to in this DLC. Fun fact, Monks and Mystics has had the largest Content Design team of any PDS game ever - most games have 1-2 Content Designers, MNM has had a core team of 4-5 CDs along with Doomdark and I helping out, QA chipping in, and 2 CDs from other projects helping in their spare time. Adding Societies and Artifacts has been a huge amount of scripting. Also, remember that both of these systems are being added to the base game, so we can always add more in the future.

Can you invite other characters to these orders? For example if I want someone of my dynasty to become pope can I improve his learning skills through these orders by inviting him? Otherwise since you cannot play as a religious character these orders seem to not take advantage of their potential

You can invite people, yes.

Cheers for the DD Darkrenown :D. Those societies look like a nice addition indeed, more character role-playing goodness. I'd be curious if we can encourage members of our family to join societies as well. I hope you all have a great Christmas/break, and be sure to let Doomdark out of the cell for a bit on the 25th at least :).

As above, yes. Doomdark will be released as soon as he agrees to my very fair demands :)

I know you already said that heretics can only join orders associated with their parent religion if they've taken over their religious branch, but is it possible to have an order associated specifically with a heresy? Like, if I wanted to mod in a monastic order specifically for Cathars, would that be possible without them having to take over Catholicism first?

Sure. You can script basically any joining trigger that exists in the game - if you want to mod a society that's only for lustful genius Cathar dwarfs between the ages of 20 and 74 you can do that.

Reactions: