• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Great Divide​

The years following the initial conflicts with both the Aztec and Inca Empire were speckled with embezzlement, revolts, loss of stability, finding gold and depleted gold mines and the occasional loss of thousands of brave but unfortunate warriors.
For two decades the treasury and most advisors concentrated on regaining stability and keeping patriotic movements under control.

In the northern continent the situation was fairly simple. All territory was claimed save a few rough patches of inhabitable land. Vinland controlled most of it, Markland ruled part of the northeast, Fljótland ruled the entire north and Vestmanna ruled the Midwest.
In the southern continent, things were a bit more complicated. Castille and Portugal (yes, and even the odd Frenchman) held territory on the east coast and on the southern tip of the continent. Inca claimed everything west of the mountains, but had lost almost everything to the aggressiveness of the Viking League. Tupi and Mapuche were skraeling tribes that had recently converted to Christianity, just like the Aztec and Inca, and others. They controlled parts south the Portuguese border.
Since the 1590’s, explorers from Vinland had taken smaller armies over the mountain range, downstream what turned out to be an endless river.
The main military advantage the Amazon tribes had over the Vinlandic invaders was the terrain. It almost took 10 years to take over most of the area. When, after another 10 years the entire supply of gold and valuables was drained from the amazon, the last tribe was incorporated.
Tupi and Mapuche were guaranteeing the independence of both the Inca Empire and the Amazon Tribes and more than once in the early decades of the 17th century Vinlandic armies carried out full out attacks on them, often with disastrous results for themselves.
EU3_43.jpg
EU3_42.jpg

In the end, by 1620, Vinland had annihilated the Inca empire, the Amazon and Tupi skræling tribes.
martinez_companon2.jpg

Attrocities were unfortunately quite common (beheading of a native Inca, 1617)

To govern all this, many princes encountered the same difficulties. Some conquered areas were too remote, underdeveloped or outright rebellious.
Olav Eriksson, Folke Sørensson and Magnus Alvik strived to keep Vinland manageable by extending the Viking league.
They conquered the remains of the Aztec and Inca Empire and sold the titles to high bidding nobles.
martinez_companon1.jpg

Vinlandic noble on the Inca throne
Also, the area conquered on the northern continent was continually being reallocated, to benefit the military and economical base of Fljótland and Vestmanna. The latter gained a few ports from Vinlandic conquest and colonisation by 1620.

Magnus Alvik also sold the throne of newly conquered Hawaii. The Viking league now consisted of 9 members: chairman/overlord Vinland, Grænland, Markland, Fljótland, Vestmanna, the Aztek Ríki, the Inka Ríki, and the Hawaii Ríki.
In 1624, Aksel Søren was elected Prince of Vinland and overlord of the Viking League, receiving a fairly slimmed down, but still enormous realm.

EU3_37-2.jpg
EU3_36-3.jpg
EU3_3-3.jpg

1626copy.jpg

Last edited:
Well i know it's a bit late now but i would have moved the capital further south and created a new Vassel out of what used to be central Vinnland (everything north or our USA). When you are the King of America and you have Aztec gold flooding in why would you want to live in Newfoundland?

Hell i'd still do it now, gives you another nice Vassal and you can move somewhere nicer like New England!

Well i know it's a bit late now but i would have moved the capital further south and created a new Vassel out of what used to be central Vinnland (everything north or our USA). When you are the King of America and you have Aztec gold flooding in why would you want to live in Newfoundland?

Hell i'd still do it now, gives you another nice Vassal and you can move somewhere nicer like New England!

It's a very good idea. Changing the capital had crossed my mind earlier. Defensively, in regard to Europeans, it isn't well located because of possible blokkades. If my navy isn't up to scratch, they could always take my capital.
On the other hand, (Vinborg) Vestr Vinland is a well developed province since all the relocations of skræling in the 15th century and because of the CoT. It has 450000 inhabitants. (neighbouring Ostr Vinland only has 15000 inhabitants)

A capital in Mixaca is a bit too uncultural astray imho, but something more southern than Vinborg and a bit inland, a province which has a core could be a candidate. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
For those that already read the last update, I updated the map to something more 'contemporary styled'

That makes it even more beautiful! Excellent work, Urcules! :D

The area near present-day Boston (Cape Cod) could be a nice place for a new Capital.

How about incorporating Sweden and Denmark into the eternal VIking league?:p

How about incorporating Sweden and Denmark into the eternal VIking league?:p

Denmark is actually obsolete, and Sweden ... well, Spain and Portugal are my obvious primary targets, but any provinces in Europe from them are not interesting for me (AAR-wise) I'd donate them to Grænland or something. Sweden however, does have a few interesting provinces becasue of same culture group. Keep a few and donate some to Iceland :D

You don't have to annex them, just make them jarldoms like the others on the Vinlandic mainland =)

The Iberian-Viking Conflict

EU3_5-2.jpg
In 1640, Erik Sverresson was elected Prince and Overlord of the Viking league. Noble support for his campaign was bought for him by Marklandic and Grænlandic agents. Since the entire conquest of the northern Leifland continent, Vestmanna and Fljótland had become far more important and powerful. With the institution of the Aztek and Inka Ríki they fell even further behind. The Grænland and Markland lobby had succeeded in getting their candidate elected and Erik was soon about to rebalance things in the league.

Markland had one colony on the coast of South Leifland, bordered by Portugal and Spain. Grænland and Vinland had islands neighboured by Castillian islands in the Caribbean.
Sverresson declared war on Castille later in 1640, and invaded Nuevo Castillia immediately. Portugal had to choose between two allies and predictably chose the Castillian side; even though the Vinlandic fleet had crushed the pirate armada blocking Brazil for ages. The Portuguese had never had the courage nor the strength to tackle them (ya yellow belly …). Some nations from the old continent joined Castille, on paper.
The Vinlandic fleet had been modernised in the last two decades and although Castille and Portugal still had some technological advantages, the sheer size of the Vinlandic fleet and the excellent trained admirals plunged their hopes of rescuing their possessions on South Leifland, or America as they called it.
The InKa concentrated on the Castillian presence, and the Portuguese land troops were quite a nuisance. Just for old times sake and the donation of 475 ducats, they accepted to back down from the side of Castille.
By late 1642 Castille had lost most of its fleet and found itself blockaded, every possession on South Leifland lost.
Because of the instability on the home front Castille was eager to negotiate. Vinland wasn’t looking forward to invading Iberia, which would be a costly and hazardous undertaking.
EU3_8-3.jpg

Within 10 years, the conflict reheated, and this time Portugal wasn’t appeased with gold. Once again, the Vinlandic fleet was the backbone in the whole war for the Viking league.
EU3_56-1.jpg
After a approximately a dozen of similar sea battles, the entire Iberian peninsula was once again sealed off from the sea.
Eleven years after the end of the First Viking-Castillian war, the Viking-Iberian war was ended by large concessions made by the latter.
EU3_63-1.jpg
After an invasion of Mapuche, Morocco, Fez and Portugal were attacked. By 1665 the three Viking-Iberian war were over, leaving one province in South Leifland for Castille, and one for France. Inka had received control over a lot of former enemy territory, as did Markland and Grænland.
In 1665, Mapuche attacked Vinland out of blind rage, only to find itself occupied within months.

1665-1.jpg

Viking League members have shields held by mounting lions,
other nations have ordinary shields

Last edited: