Beach properties assets are all gone and my city is screwed. Thanks a lot.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yeah they really should have patched in the content FIRST, and then start issuing refunds.... I'm hearing of cities breaking all over the place, leaving people stranded until the next patch. Steam refund basically means they yank all the content too.

Next week we will play a new game! "What will Paradox apologize for this week!" - In this week's episode: "We removed content from live games before patching it back in, and we are truly sorry!"

Oops. I have the Ultimate version so I was not affected, but this was a messy start to the refunds.....

• 11Like
Reactions:
Yeah they really should have patched in the content FIRST, and then start issuing refunds.... I'm hearing of cities breaking all over the place, leaving people stranded until the next patch. Steam refund basically means they yank all the content too.

Next week we will play a new game! "What will Paradox apologize for this week!" - In this week's episode: "We removed content from live games before patching it back in, and we are truly sorry!"

Oops. I have the Ultimate version so I was not affected, but this was a messy start to the refunds.....
not even sure if people are getting their refunds already

• 2Like
Reactions:
Very happy I stayed away from this game after other release issues. Vic3 was last paradox game I will preorder from this company.

When some of us saying the same thing since 2020, got negative votes. And is not the new games (CK3, Vic3, CS2 etc) only, but DLCs on existing games like EU4 and Stellaris.

• 5Like
Reactions:
HOW? How do you manage to screw that up lmao, did nobody test what happens when you remove assets like that? Did nobody think to maybe include them in the base game and then remove them? Or at least to do it in short succession?

As it stands now, well, I guess have fun playing with gray boxes for however long it takes them to issue a patch that adds the assets back. And it's anybody's guess when it happens, could be tomorrow could be next month.

• 3Like
Reactions:
HOW? How do you manage to screw that up lmao, did nobody test what happens when you remove assets like that? Did nobody think to maybe include them in the base game and then remove them? Or at least to do it in short succession?

As it stands now, well, I guess have fun playing with gray boxes for however long it takes them to issue a patch that adds the assets back. And it's anybody's guess when it happens, could be tomorrow could be next month.
My guess? They rush a patch out that fixes this problem, but introduce some new game breaking bugs. This won't get fixed until at least June.

• 6Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
My guess is that there is a code in the game that still checks if you have the dlc "license". Since the Steam DLC got removed, it made an incomplete reference to a nonexistent DLC.

The digital assets are still in the game, since Ultimate edition owners can still use the Beach Properties assets.

I hope CO has made urgent hotfixes and not hotfixes that are delivered several weeks after.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Finland's Monday
gotcha-wink.png

• 4Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:

My best guess is that someone somewhere in Paradox Publishing who has no direct contact to CO coders pushed a button without thinking what it would cause.
Fits their organizational chaos.

• 6Like
Reactions:
Hi all!

I just wanted to pop in and let you know we're looking into what's happened as you were of course supposed to keep access to the Beach Properties content until the patch that moves it to the base game arrived. Assets are replaced by the placeholder boxes, but as the waterfront zoning isn't available in the base game yet, I recommend holding off on loading saves with a lot of those zones.

At this time we don't have an ETA for when this is resolved, but at the very least the upcoming patch (date still to be announced) will resolve it as the assets become part of the base game. I'm so sorry for the inconvenience this is causing!

Change management is particularly difficult with games like Cities Skylines 2. It's the most complete in depth city simulation ever written. There are a lot of moving parts and with its agent based deep simulation change management is a challenge. It's difficult to see in advance that removing game assets from the game will result in the unavailability of said assets in game.

No doubt the there there was a change management procedure prepared in advance that was reviewed by all stakeholders. But this was such an edge case, removing assets resulting in the unavailability of said assets in game, that this interruption simply couldn't have been for foreseen.

It won't be long now. In last week's update CO announced its intent to form an advisory panel, including members of the Cities community. CO will be able to leverage this expertise when formulating its rollback strategy. It's a solid bet that forming this advisory panel will be on COs agenda in the next couple weeks and we will see content creators showcasing a pre-release rollback in the months that follow.

CO has committed to fixing core game features before the release of Bridges and Piers in Q1 of 2025 and we have every reason to believe this commitment is firm. Certainly we will see Beach Properties assets return to Skylines 2 by Q4 2024 or at the latest as an update to the base game released simultaneously with Bridges and Piers in Q1 of 2025.

• 22Haha
Reactions:
Hi all!

I just wanted to pop in and let you know we're looking into what's happened as you were of course supposed to keep access to the Beach Properties content until the patch that moves it to the base game arrived. Assets are replaced by the placeholder boxes, but as the waterfront zoning isn't available in the base game yet, I recommend holding off on loading saves with a lot of those zones.

At this time we don't have an ETA for when this is resolved, but at the very least the upcoming patch (date still to be announced) will resolve it as the assets become part of the base game. I'm so sorry for the inconvenience this is causing!
Well if that isn't the absolute most useless piece of information posted to date.

Posting to say "Yeah, we broke shit - deal with it". Right up there with "this game isn't for you".

"Date still to be announced" - at least you all are consistent, which would be a good thing, under normal circumstance.

• 28Like
Reactions:
I've had my refund from Steam but of course all my beach properties are just the grey blocks now. I don't think this is CO's fault since Steam just removed it. Perhaps there was a better way of doing it but I don't know enough to comment really. Users of Ultimate presumably still have these assets somehow.
A few grey blocks until the next patch is no big deal really is it? Some people need to get out more!

• 3Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
I've had my refund from Steam but of course all my beach properties are just the grey blocks now. I don't think this is CO's fault since Steam just removed it. Perhaps there was a better way of doing it but I don't know enough to comment really. Users of Ultimate presumably still have these assets somehow.
A few grey blocks until the next patch is no big deal really is it? Some people need to get out more!
I'm outside plenty enough because of my job, I just enjoy the things I bought when they're working, whether they're inside or outside, but thanks for the unsolicited advice! Always appreciated! Maybe you should donate to CO if you don't expect anything in return, I'm sure they'd appreciate it! Cheers.

• 19Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
I'm confused. How complicated is it to add assets that were in the game previously back into the game that there's no way to know how long it'll take?

• 16Like
Reactions: