Why is Twitter a good place to poll opinions but not the forum nor Reddit?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Oh come off it people. This place has a tiny minority of players, for deeper discussion and already has a 'suggestions' thread to put forward ideas.

On Twitter Johan has 6,000 followers. I'll spare you the marketing degree and just tell you outright that it's a legitimate route and doesn't 'disrespect' anyone.
I love paradox and think Johan has lead a great development team.:) I can see why some fans think it doesn't really follow that since the forums don't have enough to of a presence that a devs Twitter would somehow have more. I think the forums probably have a larger presence. Look at the comments per day on each from unique users.

Reactions:
I love paradox and think Johan has lead a great development team.:) I can see why some fans think it doesn't really follow that since the forums don't have enough to of a presence that a devs Twitter would somehow have more. I think the forums probably have a larger presence. Look at the comments per day on each from unique users.

For whatever it's worth, there's also the issue of twitter polls being open to anyone whereas this forum can filter out non-players. While I don't think trolling Paradox's game development outreach is all that likely, there is some value in knowing that your poll represents actual players. Furthermore, I assume linking our steam profiles to our forum profiles lets Paradox know how many PDS games we own and the hours we've played, which would allow for a deeper analytic analysis of a relatively simple poll.

Reactions:
For whatever it's worth, there's also the issue of twitter polls being open to anyone whereas this forum can filter out non-players. While I don't think trolling Paradox's game development outreach is all that likely, there is some value in knowing that your poll represents actual players. Furthermore, I assume linking our steam profiles to our forum profiles lets Paradox know how many PDS games we own and the hours we've played, which would allow for a deeper analytic analysis of a relatively simple poll.

Not really true. he could quite easily place the poll in one of the many open forums here (in fact, isn't it only the sub-forums that require game ownership?) with links on twitter etc.. All putting it on twitter does is exclude people that aren't twitter members. It is nonsensical to have your own company site with forums and so forth and use a third party site as a primary source for interaction. If a logical person wants to discuss or investigate a game they go to the game's website first...

Reactions:
Oh come off it people. This place has a tiny minority of players, for deeper discussion and already has a 'suggestions' thread to put forward ideas.

On Twitter Johan has 6,000 followers. I'll spare you the marketing degree and just tell you outright that it's a legitimate route and doesn't 'disrespect' anyone.

One with a marketing degree might have concern for sampling bias, on forum and twitter alike.

But at least on the forum you can verify whether someone voting possesses the game and possibly even get play time stats. Still a poor sampling for a number of reasons, but less poor.

Reactions:
I would hope that, eventually, polls and whatnot are conducted on the forums. I don't have a Twitter account and never will, but I apparently come on the forums once in a blue moon.

Its also easily the best place to interact with the devs. Atleast half of the dev team read it regularly and posts are made here quite often.

This is one of the reasons I love Paradox.

Reactions:
One with a marketing degree might have concern for sampling bias, on forum and twitter alike.

But at least on the forum you can verify whether someone voting possesses the game and possibly even get play time stats. Still a poor sampling for a number of reasons, but less poor.
Isn´t playtime stats only by steam? By that assumption, the poll should be on steam ;-) Though I agree with you... It´s a biased study and lacks the refinement that discussions have had on this for or against, since devs and users can comment better here than on twitter (as far as I know it).

Though, had they really wanted this study to be great... With pulling time-stat and ensure players... They could have made a one-time prompt on start-up... "Do you want to take this poll about claims"... Then everybody who played for, say a month would have the option and they could link the game time with it...

Reactions:
so why can't he make a poll in Twitter + Forum + Reddit and add up all votes? (sure there may be people who would vote more than once but this should be a small minority)

Reactions:
I do not, nor will I ever likely have a Twitter account. However as a person who's given a good $400 to Paradox and is pretty active on the forums, I'd like to be able to participate in polls.

Reactions:
Agreed with the OP. Not getting a Twitter account just to vote.

My guess is the whole "vote" thing is more a ploy to increase Paradox's traffic profile on Twitter than to actually gauge player opinion. Some social media consultant told them to do it.

I am yet to understand what is the actual purpose of twitter.

I'm too busy living my real life to devote time to creating a fake one.

Reactions:
Not really true. he could quite easily place the poll in one of the many open forums here (in fact, isn't it only the sub-forums that require game ownership?) with links on twitter etc.. All putting it on twitter does is exclude people that aren't twitter members. It is nonsensical to have your own company site with forums and so forth and use a third party site as a primary source for interaction. If a logical person wants to discuss or investigate a game they go to the game's website first...

That's basically my point. However, I should add that even if the poll is in an open forum, the poll would register who voted and, presumably, what they selected. Not like you can vote twice in a forum poll with the same account. So, if you cross-referenced people's votes with their registered games, you could then do an analytical breakdown and find that group A overwhelmingly prefers X while group B trends towards Y.

Reactions:
How many EU4 players even have a Twitter account? It hardly seems to be the sort of thing I would expect an EU4 player to have based on the ones I know, along with the way the forumgoers here seem. I only have one as a joke my ex-girlfriend and I put together.

Reactions:
How many EU4 players even have a Twitter account? It hardly seems to be the sort of thing I would expect an EU4 player to have based on the ones I know, along with the way the forumgoers here seem. I only have one as a joke my ex-girlfriend and I put together.

I have a twitter account but I simply find most of the time it's a waste of time for any of substance and nearly all the tweets I ignore.

I already spoke on this matter in another thread. But it is worthwhile to repeat here again for emphasize.

I have a twitter account but I have not used in like oh my gosh 3-4 years. Mostly primarily because most of the posts on twitter are flat out without any form of substance.

Nevermind that my time is precious and chatting away all day on twitter is not my idea of productive time.

Reactions:
The forums are possibly the least representative place you can go to to survey players. Almost everyone on here is 100x better and more into this game than the "average" player. Do not forget that there are players in Eu4 who have never played a non Western nation for any significant time, who have never played a nation that isn't on the recommended nations bit - most players have not even touched Ironman mode. Twitter may be a poor representation of the player base, but the forums are likely to be just as unrepresentative of the overall playerbase for EU4. That's not to say that people on the forums have nothing to offer, but there is no reason a poll of the forums is likely to be any more representative than a poll of twitter users, and I don't think "based on these forums, EU4 players don't really use twitter" is a better dataset for what EU4 players are like than whatever data paradox has

I'm also not quite sure why everyone in this thread has to proclaim how much they hate Twitter, how they will never get an account even to vote on their favourite games' development direction, how it's useless and exclusively for people who can't think for themselves. If you can't see the value in Twitter then I guess that's cool but you can literally craft your feed to be whatever the hell you want. I'm not quite sure how me following the BBC news feed and my university's various pages is living a fake life more than posting on these forums every other day is.

Then again, this is the forum that cried when they saw screenshots of CK2 and EU4 that had links to Facebook and twitter on the main menu because... reasons? Social media reduces everyone's IQ?

Reactions:
Loudly proclaiming that you'll never have a twitter account because Twitter is pointless and anyone who uses it for any reason is an idiot, is exactly what a hipster does. Making a habit of loudly proclaiming your dislike of something most people have some level of involvement in the minute anyone brings it up, is total hipsterism.

They put the poll up on Twitter because they wanted to get a wider sample then the 9% of the total player base that's on the forum.

Reactions:
I am yet to understand what is the actual purpose of twitter.
Anime shitposting and memes as far as I can tell.

CCjKELdW4AE_s5n.png

I don't mind them posting on twitter as long as they post the same content here. They're just reaching at a slightly different set of their userbase.

Reactions:
I don't use twitter but I see no problem with Paradox wanting to conduct a poll in it to gauge the opinions of a part of their player base, I think if they wanted to hear from the forumites they would have just made a thread and asked or conducted a poll here (they recently did so for a thing in Stellaris), or simply made a search in the forums for a certain subject as we tend to be very vocal about a lot of things with the game and there may be no need to directly ask.

Reactions:
The forums are possibly the least representative place you can go to to survey players. Almost everyone on here is 100x better and more into this game than the "average" player. Do not forget that there are players in Eu4 who have never played a non Western nation for any significant time, who have never played a nation that isn't on the recommended nations bit - most players have not even touched Ironman mode. Twitter may be a poor representation of the player base, but the forums are likely to be just as unrepresentative of the overall playerbase for EU4. That's not to say that people on the forums have nothing to offer, but there is no reason a poll of the forums is likely to be any more representative than a poll of twitter users, and I don't think "based on these forums, EU4 players don't really use twitter" is a better dataset for what EU4 players are like than whatever data paradox has

I'm also not quite sure why everyone in this thread has to proclaim how much they hate Twitter, how they will never get an account even to vote on their favourite games' development direction, how it's useless and exclusively for people who can't think for themselves. If you can't see the value in Twitter then I guess that's cool but you can literally craft your feed to be whatever the hell you want. I'm not quite sure how me following the BBC news feed and my university's various pages is living a fake life more than posting on these forums every other day is.

Then again, this is the forum that cried when they saw screenshots of CK2 and EU4 that had links to Facebook and twitter on the main menu because... reasons? Social media reduces everyone's IQ?

I don't use twitter but I see no problem with Paradox wanting to conduct a poll in it to gauge the opinions of a part of their player base, I think if they wanted to hear from the forumites they would have just made a thread and asked or conducted a poll here (they recently did so for a thing in Stellaris), or simply made a search in the forums for a certain subject as we tend to be very vocal about a lot of things with the game and there may be no need to directly ask.

Clearly you did not read the OP.

Paradox has claimed in the past that they don't consider feedback from the forums nor reddit to be representative of the community. Yet by making the poll on twitter it shows that they consider twitter to be representative of the community.

See the problem and the reason for the question now?

Reactions: