• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Skywalker_T-65

Major
82 Badges
Nov 30, 2013
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Rome Gold
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • War of the Roses
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Surviving Mars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
1919500e-f2cb-4d87-bc9a-b82d5c1075cf_zpsd087bd1c.png

Carrying Democracy's Torch
(yes, I am aware how totally impossible this is. Sue me :p )

Background: To those who remember me asking about modding back towards the end of my Sweden AAR...this was the project I had in mind (though I covered it with Russia), and something I've been working on with a backup HPP file even during my short-lived Manchurian AAR. I tend to play minors in HOI3, note in this case that both my AARs have been small-ish countries. However, I've wanted to try a major at some point too.

My problem becomes, I am a student of history. I can't make the mental disconnect to let me play as the Soviets, Germans, Italians or Japanese...due in large part to personal dislike. America is OP if used halfway competently, UK has too many islands and far-flung places and France is...France. So what do I do instead? Mod the ever-loving heck out of Germany of course!

Changes:These are, relatively, minor considering my inexperience with modding. I originally wanted to write decisions and events to reflect the different Germany, but the event codes might as well be gibberish to me. I changed the text on some of the existing ones (Anschluss for instance) but I couldn't do much more on that end.

Thus, the biggest change comes from the leadership. I took the FRGs leaderfiles, and transferred them to base-Germany. I could have just changed it to the FRG itself, but:

A: Their military leaders suck compared to Nazi Germany.

B: That breaks basically every event chain in the game.

C: Weimar Germany, technically, was still the 'German Reich' anyway.

Beyond the leaders, I changed the government type (obviously) and messed around with the starting alliances. One of the events I wanted to write was the formation of the 'alt-history Axis', what I was going to call the Hamburg Pact. To counter the fact that Weimar Germany, if it survived all the extremists, would be extremely unlikely to ally Italy...I instead, start (since I couldn't get the decision/events to work) allied with Romania, Bulgaria and Greece.

Pre-Antonescu Romania is fairly liberal, and Greece has good ties with Germany. Bulgaria is because it's kind of stuck in the middle. Poor change compared to Italy and Japan...and may end up getting me in a war with Italy if the 'ATTACK GREECE!!' event still fires. But I wanted to change things up somewhat.
Japan may still end up an ally in the end…if only because I may need them to handle Singapore and any other Pacific VPs. And I don’t know if they will DOW the Allies if I don’t. I know Pearl is still likely to happen…but will that just be ‘Murica vs Japan? Or will it be the Allies? I don’t know.

Goals: As the title suggests, this won't be standard Germany. While the War will still start with Danzig, it will be reversed a bit...can't say much more on that though.

It's after the war starts that we change up a bit. I'm going to deliberately avoid stuff that one would expect from standard Germany...such as total exploitation occupations, hopefully getting the Dutch (and who knows, maybe even the Belgians) on my side through diplomacy, and releasing occupied nations when given the chance. No Lebensraum here!

The same goes for Red Russia. If I manage to force Bitter Peace (no means certain considering my inexperience with big nations), any territory is getting released in democratic states right away.

In addition, Italy will fall if I manage to win WW2. Dem-Germany won't let Fascist!Italy continue, and if I don't ally them to help with Uncle Joe, the same probably goes for Hungary. Japan's iffy, considering they may just get owned by America like in Warriors of the North.

This will be reflected in the story, more than the gameplay probably though.
And of course, there is always the chance I die horribly due to inexperience with a nation that has to pull its weight on more than one front. :p

In a list format:

1: Regain lost territory.
2: Win the inevitable WW2.
3: No long-occupations. Even the Czechs will be released at some point.
4: Preferably eliminate any remaining Fascist states (Italy, Hungary, maybe Japan and Nat!Spain).

May be added to as things go. Now for the prologue to explain why we don't have Hitler.

The flap of a butterflies wings can create a hurricane on the other side of the world...

Prologue I: The Great War
The Somme, November 1916

first-world-war-ww1-one-pictures-photos-images-amazing-rare-incredible-german-soldiers-008_zpsc6120722.jpg

The constant crack and rattle of gunfire was as familiar to the troops of the Deutsches Heer as breathing. In the mud of their trenches near the Somme river, the men stood and scanned the horizon for the attacking British troops. For several weeks now, the British had attempted to push through the lines. The metal monsters they had deployed helped in that goal, but the Heer held strong beyond the first few days.

Even now, several soldiers tossed hand grenades into the dark, hoping to hit any British troops sneaking up on the line. Two men held their rifles through small gaps in the trench, eyes scanning the darkness for the telltale shape of enemy soldiers attempting to cut the wire lining No-Mans Land. These men couldn't have been more different either.

One, a tall Prussian Sergeant, the other an average height Austrian corporal. Of the two, only the former was supposed to be in the trench. The Austrian corporal was a trench runner, a soldier who ran messages along the line. He normally wouldn't even have a rifle...the bloodstained weapon belonged to a soldier laying on the ground next to him, killed by a British sniper.

The crack of a rifle shot echoed down the trench.

"You are a surprisingly good shot," the Prussian commented.

The Austrian's mustached mouth twitched slightly, but he didn't say anything as he worked the bolt on his Mauser '98 rifle. In the distance, a British soldier lay across the barbed wire, shot as he attempted to cut the barrier.

"What did you say your name was again?" the Prussian tried again, his own rifle barking as another enemy soldier attempted to retrieve his fallen comrade's wire-cutters.

"Adolf," the Austrian replied simply, his eyes continuing to follow the sounds of movement in the night.

The Prussian nodded slightly, his helmet obscuring his eyes, "Hans."

The two fell silent at that, as they continued to watch the night for any signs of British soldiers. The cracks of Mauser's and Lee-Enfield rifles competed against each other, as the attacking force tried to penetrate into the trenches. The ragged barks of Maxim guns joined the chorus, flashes of light from the barrels illuminating the ruined landscape between the opposing trenches. The only noise apart from the gunfire was the dull thump of artillery further down the line, and the screams of wounded men.

Altogether, it was simply another night on the frontlines of the Great War.

"Where is the messenger!" a harsh voice came down the trench.

Adolf's head snapped up, as he began to turn to where the Captain stood further down the trench. Before he had taken the rifle, he had been working his way to deliver a message from division command, further back behind the front. The message still sat in his satchel in fact.

But as his head moved up, the crack of a British rifle echoed through the night. The Austrian corporal spun to the ground, his borrowed weapon flying away.

Hans ducked his own head, calling out, "Sniper!"

One of the few highly trained men in this line of trench poked his own rifle over the line, and took out the British soldier hiding in a stripped tree. Hans himself knelt down next to the corporal...and closed his eyes before picking up his rifle and continuing to fire on the soldiers attempting to sneak up on the line. On the ground beside him, lay the bleeding body of the Austrian soldier.

Hitler_1914_1918_zps2775cc90.jpg

Corporal Adolf Hitler--Killed in Action on the Somme Front, November 1916.

-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-

I'm actually attempting narrative this time, since the scenario I've cooked up lends itself to that style. Prologue will be a couple parts explaining how we got where we are, then we'll jump right into the game in 1936. Let's see how much interest this can get. :D

Interesting. I'll be following this.

Shame you couldn't revive the Qing Empire (at least the save, anyway).

What's the version of the game though? HPP has some "Peace in the West" events.

Interesting. I'll be following this.

Glad to have you!

Shame you couldn't revive the Qing Empire (at least the save, anyway).

What's the version of the game though? HPP has some "Peace in the West" events.

I gave it my best shot. May still go back to that AAR at some point though once this one is done (and I've made so many backups for this one it isn't even funny :p )

Still HPP SF here. I'm actually hoping that King Ed doesn't abdicate like in the Sweden game, since a Peace in the West gives me a lot of story potential...and saves me from having to try my first Sealion while also dealing with Uncle Joe.

Bring forth a democratic Europe controlled through German hegemony... :p

Just got to realize it. Germany with a torch. Oh well... :eek:

Prologue II: Democracy's Stand
Berlin, 1934

b27ea106-88ce-4230-8e82-64744baea727_zps0df47b72.jpg

The death of President Hindenburg was a catalyst in German politics. The divided Reichstag, held together largely through his force of will, was a madhouse. Arguments raged amongst the varying political groups, the inherent instability in the Weimar system rearing its ugly head. With many minor parties clamoring for attention, the government was struggling to maintain a united front as emergency elections were called. Hindenburg had been in declining health for some time, and yet it was still a shock when he died.

A shock that left a potential opening in the German government. One man in particular looked at this gap as an advantage.

Ernst Thälmann, head of the KPD, the German Communist Party.

"The old imperialist is dead," he was saying to one of the other members of the KPD, "we shall surely gain control now."

He had good reason to be confident. The lack of any unifying voice had left the Communists counterparts on the right divided and unable to form a united front like Mussolini's Fascists in Italy. The moderate parties, the SPD, BVP, DNVP, and others, were all just as divided as the extreme right. Only the Communist Party maintained a unified front...and they had a larger majority than any other party, sans the more conservative Social Democrats of the SPD and their 'Weimar Coalition' with the Zentrum and the DDP.

"And you shall be our President," the other man agreed.

Thälmann nodded, a smug look on his face, "Of course. The opposition is too weak and divided to stop the revolution now."

The weak Weimar Republic would be supplanted by a People's Republic of Germany, modeled on Soviet lines. It was the future after all, and a future that the KPD would lead the German people through. There was no coherent opposition after all, and democracy couldn't be held back.

"Attention!" a voice rang out over the debating Reichstag, "the Chancellor is speaking!"

Turning away from his comrade, Thälmann looked up and saw the Chancellor getting to his feet, and moving to stand behind the podium.

8c54561b-fbfb-40ea-a5f4-2a1259e8a965_zps6b5af814.jpg

Reichskanzler Kurt von Schleicher was an imposing man. His suit was every bit as immaculate as the uniform he would normally wear. The Prussian officer-turned-politician looked out on the Reichstag. Any who knew him well would see a look of distaste cross his face for a split-second, before it was forced under a disciplined mask. A mask that didn't leave his face, as he began to speak to the crowd of politicians.

"Esteemed members of the Reichstag," Schleicher's voice echoed through the cavernous room, "the death of our President has left the Reich in a precarious situation. Emergency elections have been called, to replace President Hindenburg. The results have arrived."

Silence overtook the previously loud building. These elections had been a source of much worry. The Communists were confident in their victory, while the SPD and their Coalition were oddly silent on the matter. The Chancellor, well, he was an unreadable mask. He already knew of the election results due to his position...a result that left him smug, but that was something he wouldn't show.

After allowing a few minutes for the Reichstag to take in the news that the elections had ended, the Chancellor began speaking again.

"Theodor Heuss of the DDP is the new President."

One could have heard a pin drop, before the KDP exploded into protests. Ernst Thälmann was not amongst them, as they began shouting at the podium. The SPD and Zentrum were sitting, smug looks on their faces while the few DDP members were congratulating their new President. The smaller parties, such as the DNVP, merely shrugged. They knew this was going to happen...and why it had happened.

Because, as Thälmann was soon to find out, the divided right had agreed (albeit reluctantly) to push their support behind the Coalition. If only to keep the Communists out of power...a marriage of necessity that likely would not last long. It had only worked because of the suggestion of a DDP President, as the Democratic Party was the weakest member of the Weimar Coalition.

Nonetheless, it had served its purpose. The KDP would not come to power this day, or at all if the conservatives had their say.

220px-Bundesarchiv_Bild_146-1983-098-20a_Heuss_zps775d929b.jpg

Theodor Heuss, President of Germany

-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-

While fun to write, I am realizing how big of a project this will be :p

Only one more prologue post to establish the military, and we should be moving into the main game though. As for Heuss instead of higher-ranked liberals of the time...I have to work with the FRGs leadership files for the most part, and that limits me somewhat. And on the lack of an equivalent to the Nazi Party...

Well, say what you will, I think that without Hitler as a unifying voice it would be very hard to form a unified extreme Right-Wing block. Maybe that's just me.

Okay, let's finish the prologue before I lose what interest I still have :p

I also realized something...I go back to college in two weeks. I don't have time for a narrative. Whoops. So let's try mixing and matching things, shall we?

Prologue III: On the Precipice

At the dawn of 1936, the German Reich was a nation still recovering from the injustice of Versailles. The Coalition1 leadership that had defended democracy in the young Republic after the death of President Hindenburg knew as much. While it was true that the extremist parties in German politics--those howling for revenge against the Entente and their lapdogs--were weak, they still had some say in how the government was run. Wary of losing their fragile hold on power to the communists or an attempted Hohenzollern restoration by the DNVP, the new government knew something had to be done. As it happened, the best way to resolve the standing issue with Versailles...was to do exactly what the extreme nationalists wanted.

At first glance, this could seem to be a sign of the democratic system falling to the extremists. Such is exactly what the Coalition wanted to show however. For, by starting to slowly revoke Versailles, the Weimar leadership gained popularity amongst the supporters of the extremists. By doing so, they weakened the problematic groups, who would enjoy nothing more than the end of democracy in Germany.

There remained risks to this move of course. While Britain praised the German leadership for doing what it could to contain radicals--even though they were violating Versailles--the French were far less pleased. Despite what they had done in an attempt to cripple Germany, the nation was bouncing back quickly. And while Germany recovered from the Depression with a combination of excessive military spending and infrastructure construction projects, the French lagged behind.2 Real fear ran through the former European giant, as their 'enemy' recovered to the East.

The Coalition had no real plans for a war with France, but as the designated boogeyman of Central Europe, that hardly mattered. As such, construction on new military projects had to continue, if only to defend Germany's borders and shores.

8ca535e2-38d9-4810-9857-128e03e4e358_zpsd20cd53c.jpg

One of the first projects to bear fruit, came from the Reichsmarine. The Panzerschiffe were unique vessels, for a unique situation. One of the most crippling effects of Versailles had been the reduction of the High Seas Fleet that Kaiser Wilhelm II had put so much work and gold into building. Most of those mighty vessels were reduced to scrap or rusting on the bottom of Scapa Flow. The Weimar Republic was only allowed a relative handful of ships, and of those only six old pre-dreadnoughts were battleships.

While Germany was, and likely would remain, a land-based power...the lack of anything resembling a proper fleet was galling to many. It was assumed the German people could resist an invasion from France if it came to war, but only an obsolete and small Reichsmarine and aging coastal defenses guarded her shores. This was a situation that was, rightly, seen as intolerable. However, the stipulations of Versailles were strictest in how they limited Germany's military. For the Reichsmarine to expand, the Coalition would have to renounce the Treaty.

Such a move was too radical to implement quickly. The result were the Panzerschiffe. While they were no larger than a modern heavy cruiser, the vessels were armed with 11-inch guns, providing them with a punch that could halt any other cruiser in its tracks. Not a battleship, despite the British designation of 'Pocket Battleship', but the best Germany could muster at the time.

With the Navy starting to expand, it was only a matter of time until the same happened in the rest of the Reichswehr.

the-german-panzer-ii-light-tank_zps5b6fb5de.jpg

It was in the Heer that the most radical changes were taking place. As a fighting force, the Army that the Coalition had inherited was crippled. To even cover Germany herself and put down revolts, one-hundred thousand men were insufficient. To defend a nation the size of the German Reich, it was criminally insufficient. The knowledge that this would be the case was well-known at Versailles, which made this part of the treaty the most hated next to the loss of German lands.

It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, even the French, that the limit on the Reichsheer was the first part of Versailles to be discarded. Reserve forces were mobilized, and new units that had been discarded since the end of the Great War were revived. The rapid expansion was necessary if Germany was even to defend her territory, and this was told to other governments. While the SPD-heavy Coalition attempted to avoid conflict, this was one area they would not compromise on.

When the French government--with lukewarm British support--attempted to enforce Versailles, Thomas Dehler (the foreign minister of the time) had one response to make.

"If Germany is to function with one-hundred thousand men, then what of France? What of Britain? Could you too manage with such a small army?"

While the French were insulted by the response, bringing up their colonial obligations, the British were less-supportive of Versailles. John Simon, speaking for His Majesty's Government, did nothing to force the German leadership into stopping their rearmament. After all, how could they force a democratic government that had done nothing overtly hostile in decades, to continue with an army that would lose to Abyssinia? There was also the fact that the Weimar Coalition was friendly with Britain and was trying to increase ties.

With no recourse to force the Germans on their own, the French relented. This allowed the Reichsheer to continue its work, one of the major projects being the Panzer Divisions. While Germany had lacked any substantial tank forces of her own in the Great War, the more forward-thinking leadership had noted how effective the British and French units were. As a result, far more funding went into the tank arm of Germany than in Britain or France.

Bf-109_zpscbe55f76.jpg

While both the Navy and Army had been heavily limited, at least they were allowed to function. Despite its new and relatively small role in the Great War, one institution was completely banned from Weimar. An Air Force, not even defensive interceptors allowed.

While considered less prestigious than a reborn High Seas Fleet, and less desperately needed than an expanded Reichsheer, the point remained that Germany needed an Air Force. The British Royal Air Force and the French Armée de l'Air were relatively small, but as Germany stood after Versailles, they could operate with impunity. If bombing technology and techniques continued to develop as they had during the Great War, this was intolerable.

No matter how much work went into modernizing the existing Reichswehr, it would hardly have mattered if there was no way to defend it from the air. As such, a new arm to the military was added once it became apparent that enforcing Versailles was nothing more than a French dream.

The Luftwaffe, a dedicated Air Force. By 1936, the most advanced Air Force in the world thanks to the works of the likes of Willy Messerschmidt.

6a122c90-ae20-427d-bd36-42fbc4923c39_zps3042ffc3.png

It was with these forces, and their allies in the Hamburg Pact3 that Germany entered the next stage of its history. None really knew what the year 1936 would bring, not even the Coalition in Berlin.

----------------------

[1] The 'Weimar Coalition' was a unified front of the Republicans in the German Reich. Lead by the Social Democrats of the SPD, it also included the Catholic Zentrum and social liberal DDP. Historically, they were about the only members of the German government who actually supported the Republic.

[2] A rapidly industrializing Germany is fully capable of leaving 1930s-era France in the dust. In this case, it was more referring to the military. The French Army was a demoralized mess, all the 'we surrender!' jokes aside. None really wanted a repeat of the Great War, hence the Maginot Line.

[3] The Hamburg Pact is a defensive alliance between Germany, the Kingdom of Romania, the Tsardom of Bulgaria, and the Kingdom of Greece. Germany was the pariah of Europe, and nearly friendless during the Weimar years. With the triumph of democracy, the only nation that might have allied with Germany--namely Italy--was no longer an option. As a result Germany co-opted France's efforts to form the 'Little Entente' in the Balkans. Romania and Greece agreed readily enough, the former as insurance against Hungarian aggression, the latter to protect Macedonia from Bulgaria. Bulgaria herself joined to avoid being caught between two hostile powers, in addition to German guarantees of gaining Serbian Macedonia, in the event of a Yugoslav war.

-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-

I'm experimenting a bit. Most likely this will be a mix of ^that and the narrative bits. We'll see.

Intriguing. I wonder how WW2 will shape up with this in the works?

Germany will lead on the march on Moscow in an attempt to destroy communism, but this time around, she will be doing it in the the name of liberal democracy! :cool:

(Or at least that's how I figure the game and AAR will progress)

I love this democratic Germany stuff, it's very interesting :)

Thanks! :D

Intriguing. I wonder how WW2 will shape up with this in the works?

Probably fairly standard...unless King Ed doesn't abdicate Britain's throne. Because then we could have anything from a truce to a full alliance happen.

Germany will lead on the march on Moscow in an attempt to destroy communism, but this time around, she will be doing it in the the name of liberal democracy! :cool:

(Or at least that's how I figure the game and AAR will progress)

Yup.

...unless the KDP wins an election. In which case:

GLORY TO THE WORLD REVOLUTION!!!

(literally, HPP has an event that if the Commies take control it forces a tag-switch to the DDR. Also one to force it to the FRG but that was deleted so it would stop firing on me)

Subscribing...seems like an interesting bit of alternative history.

This is an interesting project, I enjoyed your Sweden en Manchukuo projects and am a great fan of history, so count me in!