• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Curious if any of your protectorates have tried to westernize yet?

France .... 7 years.

They're colonizing somewhere that isn't in the Americas for sure, good guess.

Portugal will surrender its colony to you in a little more than 3 years.

Another nation with annoyingly wide colonial nations. England is also everywhere, having taken some pacific islands.

Spain, for an unbearably long period of about 10 years(give or take).

They blocked me out of the Philippines and now they would be after my New Zealand? I'm not sure even the Castilians would have tha gall for that.

It's the spaniards, and the war will go on for a trillion years. <--- Edjumacated guess.

P.S. People always tell me from my earliest years that I'm weird, so have at me! you can call me creepy, weird, incomprehensible, dummie. Whatever, it's the internet. You have my express permission. DO YOUR WORST LADDY.

I don't mind weird, this is the internet after all. That one post just gave me so much sensory overload I didn't know what you were saying.

Glad to have you back though.

Curious if any of your protectorates have tried to westernize yet?

Yeah, I mentioned it in passing: Marathas is westernizing. Honestly I'm starting to give up on the Indian goal, it'd be much more fitting for a Ottoman or Byzantium game with Eastern Tech. On the other

16. August 1694 - 24. July 1708 part 2/2

A new century had dawned, and Naples had much to be proud of.

2014-02-08_00020.jpg

A perfectly reasonable response.

Alright then. Wargoals:

Primary:

- Seize the New Zealand colonies of Castile.

Secondary:

- Indian colonies and colonies in the Horn of Africa.

Tertiary:

- Releasing Granada. Let's disregard India and make the Mediterranean into a Neapolitan lake.

All right then. The first move was crashing into Castile's main Mediterranean fleet with an actual general.

2014-02-08_00062.jpg

Yeah it took me that long to do anything but move troops around in the pacific. France wouldn't give me nor Castile military access, and I didn't think landing some 45k troops at a time would be sufficient to beat Castile, so this would be a war fought on the seas and on the fringes. This would likely mean that I could only demand a few colonies other than the ones in New Zealand (which were letting get as close to finishing as they could, before I seized them)

Then in 1703 I noticed that Lithuania and the Netherlands had joined the war a bit delayed, and suddenly the potential for raising warscore went through the roof.

2014-02-08_00068.jpg

Target practice!

Meanwhile, in the Pacific, I had seized the colonies of New Ze.. Nova Trinacria.

2014-02-08_00083.jpg

In November 1703 France decided to declare war!!.. on Castile.

2014-02-08_00105.jpg

You know, I'm starting to wonder why France never declared war on me. Not that I'm jealous or anything.. A little attention might be nice, is all I'm saying.

The naval battle you can see in the corner was the third of a series of encounters. At that point, the power of heavy ships was made clear to me.

2014-02-08_00093.jpg

Also thrown in for good measure: A land battle I never noticed, until I got the end result.

As the war continued into 1704, normal business had to be taken care of even while painting the Alps with the blood of the Dutch (who had only just showed up now).

2014-02-08_00116.jpg

At this point, Hungary, Croatia and the Ottomans had all been absorbed into the empire. The force limits of Naples rose to almost 250 and the tax / production income both kicked up over 80.

2014-02-08_00124.jpg

It won't be pretty before Serbia becomes a part of it though.

That just goes to show you that the best way to deal with unruly allies is to subjugate them and annex them.

The prior naval victory of Castile gave them an opening to make a landing in Neapolitan land, but instead of lifting my siege of Oran or Melilla, they decided to go for western Anatolia. This did not work out well for them.

2014-02-08_00129.jpg

Keeping those five colonists active after I usurped the Castilian ones in progress is costing me about 125 ducats / month. Adding to my financial woes, tax income was dropping. Naples didn't lower taxes, lose population or have issues with unemployment, revenues just simply dropped for some reason.

2014-02-08_00132.jpg

Meanwhile, a new gold-plated palace for the local government, three cathedrals and new diamond uniforms on the local militia were spotted in Nova Trinacria.

While slowly sieging colonies and awaiting Castile’s next move (I could land in Spain, but France and Castile were still fighting that “colonial” way and I wanted them to destroy one another as much as possible.) Marathas was facing rather harsh revolts against their westernization, but it appeared to continue unabated for now.

2014-02-08_00146.jpg

*Whistles*

I had also been increasing my Indian trade navy in preparations for having to dominate the Ceylon node more directly though. Plans for future wars were also drawn up.

2014-02-08_00171.jpg

In August 1705, the war finally ended with satisfactory results. I had already seized the south island of Nova Trinacria, four new colonial provinces were added and Granada (whom I intended to vassalize after the mandatory truce expired) was released.

2014-02-08_00179.jpg

Following the war, I was able to hire a missionary advisor, and after boosting stability to +2, I could start converting Constantinople itself, albeit slowly.

2014-02-08_00189.jpg

And while everyone was happy about having a talented heir, having Antonio prance naked around across Naples, while hopping from bar to bar and claiming himself to be the Messiah, was overdoing it just a bit.

2014-02-08_00195.jpg

The cartographers continued their passive-aggressive "errors" to nudge along the "Sardinia issue."

2014-02-08_00200.jpg

It's on the to-do list! Damn.

But rather than declare war on France and spoil the glorious French-Castilian bloodbath, I decided to work on my Mediterranean holdings.

2014-02-08_00202.jpg

The wargoals were simple: Vassalize Najd and Tripoli.

It's not really worth going into the details about, except for this nasty surprise:

2014-02-08_00204.jpg

They really should have been small enough to be vassalized now! They had only a total base tax of 15 or so, though scattered over many provinces.

But I had to take what I could to bring vassalization cost below 100%. I began coring the provinces, but will likely sell them back once I vassalize them, if the cores are still not finished by then.

2014-02-08_00231.jpg

Tripoli, on the other hand, was more pliable.

2014-02-08_00237.jpg

Later, when the two brothers' were out in the town to celebrate the victory, it turned out that King Carlo had only publically admonished Antonio for not bringing him along.

2014-02-08_00243.jpg

There's only a four-year age gap between them. There's a good chance Antonio will never take the throne or only hold it for a short while.

Names for our current colonies were also decided, possibly in a drunken stupor.

2014-02-11_00004.jpg

With the peace, the final step in the unification of Italian Nations, which had been in the works since the beginning of this AAR, could begin.

2014-02-08_00253.jpg

'bout damn time, I suppose.

News of the world

- The French/Polish vs Castile colonial war is not going in France's favor.

2014-02-11_00003.jpg

- Sweden has wiped out the Livonian Order and Denmark isn't doing too well.

2014-02-08_00217.jpg

- Behold, Dutch Oregon!

2014-02-11_00001.jpg

Arbitrary quiz

Results

GreatUberGeek & Kiddo3: +3, not excactly ten or a trillion years, but those three felt like forever since I could not fight them in their homeland.

New question:

What will Castile demand from France, seeing as how they're now beating them absolutely senseless?

Last edited:
They will take money and some worthless colony.

Castille has an awful lot of colonial nations, good you decreased their homelands though. Are you waiting for diplo tech 25 before finally building a fleet of heavy ships?

Yenzen said:
New question:

What will Castile demand from France, seeing as how they're now beating them absolutely senseless?
Castille will beat up France for at least 90%, dragging out the war for a long time and finally settle for a concession of defeat.

They will first make it rain and then, in a daring grasp of strategy and tactics...
take Pirineo or whatever that province is called, up in the north.

They will take some of their southern mainland provinces.

I don't mind weird, this is the internet after all. That one post just gave me so much sensory overload I didn't know what you were saying.

Any day I give someone who plays paradox strategies sensory overload is a good day, I'm secretly training everyone to play Dwarf Fortress. sssssshhhhh, sekritz :3. also...
Glad to have you back though.
<3 u too bby.
Castille will demand the ~two provinces in between the castillian pincers in the third from last picture.

They will take money and some worthless colony.

I rarely see the AI take money, oddly.

Provence, they seem to do that in every game I play

Which would give me a excuse mutilate them (also called a "border")!

Castille has an awful lot of colonial nations, good you decreased their homelands though. Are you waiting for diplo tech 25 before finally building a fleet of heavy ships?

Castille will beat up France for at least 90%, dragging out the war for a long time and finally settle for a concession of defeat.

I'm.. I'm waiting for tech 22 to be honest. I can't afford to keep up with diplo techs when there are expansion and soon trade ideas to be had >>. The seamen of Naples are hardy and crusty, but not entirely state of the art.

They will first make it rain and then, in a daring grasp of strategy and tactics...
take Pirineo or whatever that province is called, up in the north.

It's Aragonese at the moment, and Aragon isn't part of the war.

They will take some of their southern mainland provinces.

That's boring..! And probably true too. France has been sitting on some Aragonese provinces for a while, and why should Castile not want to return them?

Castile will demand Girona and breaking a single treaty.

Spoiler: Nope. If only...

Any day I give someone who plays paradox strategies sensory overload is a good day, I'm secretly training everyone to play Dwarf Fortress. sssssshhhhh, sekritz :3. also...

<3 u too bby.
Castille will demand the ~two provinces in between the castillian pincers in the third from last picture.

You're giving the AI way too much credit. You'll find out soon, but I really wish the AI would prioritize regaining its own culture group provinces.

24. July 1708 - 16. April 1715

And the results were soon ready:

2014-02-14_00008.jpg

Yes, Castile just gave GB and Austria a slice of France, split off French minors, took some pocket change, and ignored the two Spanish provinces, it could have annexed.

I sent a diplomat to sauce up Toulouse ASAP, they'd accept vassalization!

Meanwhile, in Algeria, the people in Ceuta rejoiced at their recent re-unification...

2014-02-14_00006.jpg

The army of Naples had become so competitive that soldiers "willingly" bought their own weapons because of "Regimental pride".

2014-02-14_00011.jpg

Nothing to do with the fact that soldiers without weapons were put on the front row of the vanguard.

To spread out the infrastructure a little, an admiralty was built in Palermo and soon a silo in Rome.

However, that was enough pampering about for now. By October 1709, the manpower reserves of Naples had recovered. Time to fight a war with enemies outnumbering Naples almost 2:1.

2014-02-14_00017.jpg

I may not have thought this completely through.

War goals:

Primary

- Return missing cores to Bulgaria
- Annex Iraqi cores (to sell back to Iraq)

Secondary

- Release Moldavia

In essence, the war plans resembled the prior ones: Focus all troops in Serbia and rebuke any movements with excessive force. However, this time there would be two complicating factors:

- I had to allocate substantial numbers to the Middle East to make sure to capture the Qara Quyunlu lands back to Serbia
- I couldn't resist the temptation to do a quick pounce on Austrian troops just across the border

2014-02-14_00024.jpg

Don't you just love the smell of pyrrhic victories in the morning?

Well, at least the Serbian battle went better, the quality difference between eastern and western units really takes off after the mid 1600's! Well.. as long as you're not horribly outnumbered, as I learned on the Middle Eastern front.

2014-02-14_00041.jpg

Meanwhile, as mid-1710 passed by, the Russians were getting serious on the European front and the Serbians brought muskets to a cannon fight.

2014-02-14_00050.jpg

What? It was the only unused, nearby unit that could make it in time,

The Russians quickly tried for a counterattack, while my GREAT and USEFUL vassal, SAVOY decided that bringing their FANTASTIC general to a mountain defense in Italy was a spectacular idea, removing King Carlo from command in the process. Meanwhile, hijinks were taking place at sea and land in the east.

2014-02-14_00068.jpg

Bayonet goes where?

In the Middle East, Muscovy had moved the majority of the forces north after the other battle, and Neapolitan forces could make one last go at sieging the three provinces there, before Serbia would be completely besieged again. The screenshot is a little unfortunate and shot after I wiped out two smaller stacks, but it is the best I've got:

2014-02-14_00089.jpg

In Serbia, it was time for Forced March to save my, by now, sore behind.

2014-02-14_00096.jpg

And Muscovy forgot to bring something.

The situation intensified further in the summer of 1711 where both Muscovy and Austria once again converged on Serbia. The Russians brought the greatest army, but they were crossing a river. My only chance to avoid abandoning my sieges would be to defeat the Austrian forces ASAP, and then reinforce the Muscovite battle before it was lost.

2014-02-14_00126.jpg

A victory, but a costly one. I was hemorrhaging manpower and these guys just kept coming. If I didn't finish Serbia, fast, the war of attrition would get to me and all would be lost.

If.

2014-02-14_00150.jpg

While I had been engulfed in the war, my funding towards a few luddites in Marathas had worked... a little better than expected.

2014-02-14_00144.jpg

The good news is that their westernization was cancelled and since they retain all their cores, they should be able to recapture most of the land without issue.

Additionally, Bulgaria was now ready to be annexed

2014-02-15_00031.jpg

The Red Mountains had savored the blood of hundreds of thousands during the years - and they had developed quite a taste for it.

2014-02-15_00017.jpg

Still, they didn't have to scalp all of their victims.. or they could at least wait until they were dead.

Additionally, while I intended to sell back the Iraqi cores, I was a little too slow and got one of those cozy 100+% overextension events:

2014-02-15_00004.jpg

And a new vassal, no less.

2014-02-15_00008.jpg

But, why settle for one?

2014-02-15_00039.jpg

War was declared in April 1712 and January 1713 respectively, the goals were simple: Vassalizing both of them. It went about as well as could be expected, until Portugal decided they wanted a piece of the Grenadian action.

They action they would get. As soon as Granada was defeated, I had to join it in defense against Portugal.

2014-02-15_00071.jpg

New war goals: Might as well snatch the Portuguese Important Centre of Trade in the Indus node (Lower Sindh) while I beat them senseless.

Now, the only thing that really frightened me here was the Portuguese navy. However, to end this war quickly, I would have to risk moving my fleet around southern Portugal (Castile would not give me access).

2014-02-15_00081.jpg

And.. Nothing much happened after that in either war. They ended in 1713 and 1715 respectively as some Portuguese and Arabian provinces fell (Najd held out for a redicliously long time)

2014-02-15_00105.jpg

Meanwhile, in October 1713 all of Italy was finally united.

2014-02-15_00077.jpg

The Pentarchy was restored in a rather lackluster ceremony as Constantinople was converted.

2014-02-15_00114.jpg

That's.. that's it?

Meanwhile, SOMEONE had made it to Australia. Fire shall rain.. When my manpower recovers for a proper war with them.

2014-02-15_00122.jpg

And on that impotent threat, it's time to end the update.

News of the world.

- Finally one of the colonial nations took notice of the Iroquois, which had failed to westernize unlike Shawnee.

2014-02-15_00118.jpg

- The Indian nation of "Baroda" has broken free of Gujarat, and it started westernizing right away. I think I might be able to vassalize it now? Or just when it finishes anyway.

- England has declared a war of conquest on Aragon, which has also brought it conflict with Austria, Portugal and 1/3 of the HRE

Arbitrary Quiz.

Results

Afaslizo: +2 @ the money

New Question

Who has made it to Australia? It is not Castile this time.

Last edited:
But I guessed the money...:( ;) Ah well. I think that the new colonizer shall be Great Britain.

That came out of my friends video here from a math video competition at our school. Make it rain! :D Kinda confusing, sorry about that. :eek:o

Restoring the Pentarchy also shuts down the Pope doesn't it? The effect in CK2 is better I think for ending the Great Schism. Just seeing the huge wave of Orthodox change happen across all those Catholic lands...

I agree with the Dutch.