• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I roleplayed all I could from the vanilla, step one marry in good, step two plot, plot and plot some more until you have enough lands and diplomacy heavy heirs that the game becomes simply coloring the map with three colors, few more slight variations of them if you want to tease destiny and have 100s of hours to kill.

If you don't like playing vanilla and like playing mods, this expansion should be great news for you, since India and three new religions probably mean lots of new tools for modders.

50% of nothing is still nothing for me. :p

Didn't they mention they would be optimising for that?

I dont know how you can optimize stats and events to not cause thinking! And there will be a lot more computer thinking with such an increase in characters!

The Republic had plenty (e.g. no land republics WTF!111) and TOG had its share (who wants to play OP vikings who *, vikings aren't crusaders etc.). Wasn't here for SoI or LoR, but there was probably some then as well.
People were really pleased with LoR when it was announced, I don't remember any criticism until after the release. The same for SoI, though I think there was a tiny bit of racist/Islamophobic butthurt.

I'd really like to know what these "things in the base game that just aren't there" specifically are.

Things like being able to buy your own wife or kid out of jail, for instance, absent since release, talked about all the time but nothing happens. Think what the depth here really is if you can't do a thing about your own wife being in your own vassal's jail. This is what I'm talking about as things that aren't there. Or heirs of feudal nobles being assigned as chaplain all the time, to the point that when you set up a dynastic marriage between two Catholic kingdoms, the male prince is not unlikely to show up in bishop robes. These two examples should tell you something about the depth of the game.

Yeah they are adding many new cultures and religions to the game and you think there will be nothing new on gameplay. Yeah right.
Yeah, but it will all play the same. Who cares if he's Indian or lives in Sindh? I mean, alright.... Yeah, it'd be a cool standalone, but not only doesn't it fit into.the general CK2 mold (thematic consistency is important), but it leaves a buncha other more fitting improvements to wait or never be addressed.

Added to my signature. ;)
I advise you to change it (the format). You can't have
in your signature. Almost got banned for it.
If you don't like playing vanilla and like playing mods, this expansion should be great news for you, since India and three new religions probably mean lots of new tools for modders.
Uhm, you can already add those in the mod.

Things like being able to buy your own wife or kid out of jail, for instance, absent since release, talked about all the time but nothing happens. Think what the depth here really is if you can't do a thing about your own wife being in your own vassal's jail. This is what I'm talking about as things that aren't there. Or heirs of feudal nobles being assigned as chaplain all the time, to the point that when you set up a dynastic marriage between two Catholic kingdoms, the male prince is not unlikely to show up in bishop robes. These two examples should tell you something about the depth of the game.

I could not possibly agree more. The interactions need so much more depth and realism.

Yeah they are adding many new cultures and religions to the game and you think there will be nothing new on gameplay. Yeah right.
Look, if you think they can swing an UNPRECEDENTED map expansion with 300 new provinces (50% the present area), new art, updated bookmarks (?), new religions, new units, new portraits in a mere few months -- and you think they're also going to add gameplay depth on top of that, when every expansion up til now has failed to achieve even far more modest goals, you need about 200% as many forum badges.

From another forum:

Ja, Olaf! Ve vill conquer ze riches of ze east! All ve must do is sail ze longships zown ze Volga, march overland zrough mountains und desert, und defeat ze vast armies in a climate und country completely unfamiliar to us!

ZEN VE VILL DRINK FROM ZER SKALLS

Yeah, but it will all play the same. Who cares if he's Indian or lives in Sindh? I mean, alright.... Yeah, it'd be a cool standalone, but not only doesn't it fit into.the general CK2 mold (thematic consistency is important), but it leaves a buncha other more fitting improvements to wait or never be addressed.

I'm afraid 'gameplay' would be cited as an explanation there, same as what motivated the huge departure from the original de iure concept.

These are bugs which need to be fixed in patches, and not as DLC.

Oh, sorry...
Only the format [ quote][ /quote] is unacceptable, not the content. You can write it as e.g.
victimizer: Curse you, Paradox! Adding tons of new fresh content is the surest way to infuriate your fans, didnt you know that?

I'm interested of course, but sceptical. There are clearly more important features that needed to be addressed in a DLC over a map extension or more bookmarks, things like HRE mechanics, dynasties, crusades, RPG elements, etc. I also would have much preferred theocracies.

I'm going to wait and see how things start to look with this DLC.