• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Funnyman320

First Lieutenant
70 Badges
Jun 11, 2012
  • Cities in Motion
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
How do I deal with this? It's hard to form Germany as NGF when you have to deal with constant revolts from these guys

You'll be sorry to hear that they pop up once you've formed Germany as well, and sometimes at very inopportune times...like when you're in the middle of a Great War vs. France and Russia, and all the sudden half your country gets spammed with Prussian Nationalists.

The short answer is that you crush them militarily. After you've put down one revolt, you shouldn't have another from the same group for several years at least. The long answer is address the internal problems with your country...they wouldn't revolt if the militancy/consciousness of your nation was lower. Perhaps the people are clamoring for some easy political reforms that you're denying them, resulting in increasing difficulty keeping your nation together.

It's a little ridiculous that the Prussians are rebelling and wanting their own country anyways, when they're actually just the dominant member of a union of lesser German states. It's even more ridiculous when you consider that the Western half of Germany is also considered 'Prussian', because of the cores, when in fact none of those people are actually 'Prussian'...if you're going to have Prussian Nationalists at least limit them to Brandenburg, West and Ost Prussia, and maybe Posen/Silesia.

It's just a little less ridiculous than forming Scandinavia as Sweden, then having to deal with Swedish Nationalists.

It's actually not that very weird. Those people oppose to the idea of a union. Not everyone was happy about the unification, and while the game is going a bit far when it comes to portraying it, it's a reasonable gameplay mechanic.

The Scandoinavian example is even better. The unification ideal was only shared among academics, but I doubt the people would had liked it at all.

The Scandoinavian example is even better. The unification ideal was only shared among academics, but I doubt the people would had liked it at all.
Perhaps, but there were multiple personal unions and Sweden incl. Finland was quite stable kingdom for more than half a millennium.

Sweden incl. Finland until 1809
Denmark-Norway 1524–1814
Sweden-Norway 1814–1905

Nothing would've kept united more than active threat from either Germany or Russia.

Last edited:
Forming the NGF should add new revolter cores in more far flung parts of Prussia, so a partial or total breakup by revolt leaves Prussia with only its eastern portion, not the Rhineland, Hohenzollern Wurrtemburg, or even Silesia. I don't think people in the Rhineland would care that much for being Prussian again if they'd experienced being inside the NGF.

You didn't read the rest of what I was saying?
Actually I did. The best way to deal with Prussian nationalism (assuming you can't keep your Prussian POPs' militancy down) is to make it mostly-harmless by having a big enough army to squash the rebels, which is best achieved by forming Germany quickly. Items to bear in mind:
  • The Austrian and French armies are squashy in the early game, because they only have one level of tactics tech and you have two. (Also, AI France is shockingly lax about building artillery; they have huge piles of infantry, but infantry not supported by artillery die like flies when facing infantry supported by artillery.)
  • If you sphere Denmark peacefully instead of fighting them, you don't get locked out of influencing Holstein for five years.
  • An army which is forced to retreat when all adjacent provinces contain enemy armies is automatically completely destroyed.

Should I apologize for not being as good as you?
Absolutely not; it's not (in general) immoral, unethical, or impolite to be less knowledgeable about a game's mechanics than another person.

Actually I did. The best way to deal with Prussian nationalism (assuming you can't keep your Prussian POPs' militancy down) is to make it mostly-harmless by having a big enough army to squash the rebels, which is best achieved by forming Germany quickly. Items to bear in mind:
  • The Austrian and French armies are squashy in the early game, because they only have one level of tactics tech and you have two. (Also, AI France is shockingly lax about building artillery; they have huge piles of infantry, but infantry not supported by artillery die like flies when facing infantry supported by artillery.)
  • If you sphere Denmark peacefully instead of fighting them, you don't get locked out of influencing Holstein for five years.
  • An army which is forced to retreat when all adjacent provinces contain enemy armies is automatically completely destroyed.

I tried a new game and I believe yhat my militancy was simply too high. Thanks for the help though everyone!

How do I deal with this? It's hard to form Germany as NGF when you have to deal with constant revolts from these guys

Even the Prussian King Wilhelm I. despised the title "German Emperor" in the beginning and only accepted it after being pressured into it from Bismarck. He had more regard for the title "Prussian King".

The rebellions I saw mostly spawned one brigade per province over many provinces. That can easily be cleared with 2 units consisting of 3 brigades. The rebels also seem to be very easy enemies, aka not up to the level of your professional army.

I played Russia and was afraid of rebellions because it always said "234437389 brigades would rise", but when they did rise, a few rebel hunters made short work of them - automated even. I was surprised the automatic rebel squashing works that well.

Even the Prussian King Wilhelm I. despised the title "German Emperor" in the beginning and only accepted it after being pressured into it from Bismarck. He had more regard for the title "Prussian King".

Thats because he had wanted to be "emperor of germany", not german emperor. That almost messed up german unification, it took bismarck a lot of time to handle that issue.

I tried a new game and I believe yhat my militancy was simply too high. Thanks for the help though everyone!

Well if you tax your POPs at 80% and can´t buy even a potato, expect them to be pissed and want to say goodbye to you heh.

Even then nationalism movements when said nation is made of accepted POPs should be VERY rare. I mean, Scotland would only want to secede if it was VERY poorly managed.

He held both titles, so why should he be pissed about that? He could have sacked Bismarck if he was so unhappy with his policy.

I think most Protestant Germans were happy with the unification and in the end Catholics as well. The massive rebellions in Germany should be considered a bug. It's extremely stupid that there are Prussian nationalist when you in fact formed Germany as Prussia.

Thats because he had wanted to be "emperor of germany", not german emperor. That almost messed up german unification, it took bismarck a lot of time to handle that issue.

That too but he never wanted to become emperor and when he accepted the title his comment was that he was digging the grave for the Prussian kingdom. He accepted it because he had no real choice beause prussia allone was too weak.

Historical pedantry aside,, it's silly that the sets of all the cores which make up a union survive post-unification, at least in the major examples of Germany, Italy and Scandinavia. Regardless of whether there were some reactionary blowhards in 1872 Berlin, whether there are any reactionary blowhards in Northern Italy today, and whether there would have been any reactionary blowhards in Denmark post-unification, it's simply gamebreaking to have to deal with rebels in these GP-standard union countries which don't want to change the political order of the country but want to separate from it. France, UK and Japan do not suffer these disadvantages, and it places the union tag countries on a par with Austria, the Ottomans and Russia in terms of the potential for separatism.

Literally the only IRL example which I can think of a union tag forming and then breaking apart is Yugoslavia, which is a special case due to Yugoslavia's unique situation of having multiple ethnic and religious cleavages.

I'm actually okay with the German states' cores existing in unified Germany - lets not forget that despite the existence of a German Empire the kingdoms and duchies below it still existed in the system. Even for a very short time Bavaria declared independence and became a soviet republic before the Weimar Republic put it down - and Prussia was officially abolished after the third reich took power so really for a sandbox game having those cores in there seem to be keeping to the history in my opinion.

The cores aren´t the problem. The context of the revolts are. A serious prussian revolt should only happen if Germany took a VERY liberal path - but they should be possible.

In practice, a serious Prussian revolt will only happen if for some reason the Prussian masses are (a) seriously unhappy and (b) not significantly Red.