• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Would it be possible to allow strategic bombarment to give some/more experience to both units and leaders? My ground attack bombers are constantly getting heaps of xp while my strategic bombers are learning nothing from their constant bombardments!

Would it be possible to allow strategic bombarment to give some/more experience to both units and leaders? My ground attack bombers are constantly getting heaps of xp while my strategic bombers are learning nothing from their constant bombardments!

I agree 100 percent with this. The only way to get STA bombers or leaders EXP is to have them do tactical missions.

I don't know if this is possible at all, but could we get numbers instead of percentage values? It would be very, VERY satisfying in a Göring-ian way, to see how many planes you have in a Fliegerkorps. I read somewhere that you can use the formula 100/engines to figure out how many planes you have in a wing; for example a fighter unit would have 100 planes while strat. bomber units would have 25 planes. I don't know if this came from the devs or the players.

If this was implemented, an air unit of 4 interceptors would show 286/400 instead of 71% strength. You would know that you lost 114 planes in the last aerial battle, and the number rising (through IC spent on reinforcements) would represent heavily damaged planes being repaired and new planes reinforcing the unit.

Would the engine permit something like this?

This would also work incredibly well with tank brigades. 3,000/3,000 barely works for infantry units, it does not work for tank brigades or motorized/mechanised brigades. Do I have 3000 tanks in a brigade? Of course not. Do I have 3000 crew members running the tanks? That means 600 tanks with 5 crew members, which is still too much. Entire Panzer divisions had approximately 300 tanks at best. What would be perfect in this case is, again, numbers. You could even click the brigades to see how many of each model they have.

36/40 Panzer IV
22/60 Panzer III

Wouldn't that be nice? The brigade in this example is upgrading its tanks, and some of the tanks they have are shot, and require repairs.

If these were implemented, more realism could be achieved by having the game keep track of how many tanks of which kind have been lost, and how many enemy tanks have been destroyed.

These would be incredibly nice to have, right?

I like that idea. For tank units it should not be hard to have a starting count for tanks
based on the manpower to create a historical (somewhat) number and show how many
tanks are left from the base amount over time. Would be a very nice immersion thingie for divisions of armor.

I don't know if this is possible at all, but could we get numbers instead of percentage values? It would be very, VERY satisfying in a Göring-ian way, to see how many planes you have in a Fliegerkorps. I read somewhere that you can use the formula 100/engines to figure out how many planes you have in a wing; for example a fighter unit would have 100 planes while strat. bomber units would have 25 planes. I don't know if this came from the devs or the players.

If this was implemented, an air unit of 4 interceptors would show 286/400 instead of 71% strength. You would know that you lost 114 planes in the last aerial battle, and the number rising (through IC spent on reinforcements) would represent heavily damaged planes being repaired and new planes reinforcing the unit.

Would the engine permit something like this?

This would also work incredibly well with tank brigades. 3,000/3,000 barely works for infantry units, it does not work for tank brigades or motorized/mechanised brigades. Do I have 3000 tanks in a brigade? Of course not. Do I have 3000 crew members running the tanks? That means 600 tanks with 5 crew members, which is still too much. Entire Panzer divisions had approximately 300 tanks at best. What would be perfect in this case is, again, numbers. You could even click the brigades to see how many of each model they have.

36/40 Panzer IV
22/60 Panzer III

Wouldn't that be nice? The brigade in this example is upgrading its tanks, and some of the tanks they have are shot, and require repairs.

If these were implemented, more realism could be achieved by having the game keep track of how many tanks of which kind have been lost, and how many enemy tanks have been destroyed.

These would be incredibly nice to have, right?

I like that! :)
That is also going right in that direction I proposed in the "new-suggestion-Trained-manpower-being-converted-from-Untrained-manpower"-thread.
As I also fits well in the way of seperating units MP from units equipment and solve the reserve/IC/reinforce-problem to a great extend.
My suggestion:
Part of the unit file:
#Size Definitions
max_strength = 30 -> Is the overall strength of the unit, in total men, numbers of planes or a percentage number for ships so far.
max_equipment_strength = 25 -> Is the overall equipment of the unit, in total men equipment like rifles, numbers of planes/tanks or a percentage number for ships.
default_organisation = 20 -> This is the normal amount with all ranks filled
default_morale = 0.20 -> This is the normal amount with all ranks filled

#Building Costs
build_cost_ic = 1.5
build_cost_manpower = 2.90

build_cost_equipment_ic = 1.5
build_time_equipment = 120 -> Normal basic production time

nco = 100
officers = 10
build_time = 365 -> Normal basic training time

I would very much like to have even more differnt equipment modeled in the units like you described.
So having 3-4 different Models("equipment slots" wich can have different costs and stats) for up to "4 Battalions"/"4 air-wings"/"ships" would be nice. At the moment I just try to have that with an workaround in my mod.
But I think at the same time that we'll already be very happy if they put in even that 3 new values I propose above.

Read all:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...d-manpower&p=13939959&viewfull=1#post13939959

Great idea!
I like the intention and have some additional ideas for implementation.
Please read on if you're interested.

What is missing, or not working right atm:
Units should loose different experience when in need of replacement. And should need different types of men. We have already "normal men" and officers.
IIRC in the Dev Diaries of DI:G it was noted that you would be able to see diffenet pics if the unit gets more experienced and look like a rookie again if they need to much replacements.
The brigades:

A major change to the game is the way brigade images are graphically represented. The idea is that one could represent the brigades with more than just a small black and white photo. Wouldn’t it be cool to see a soldier from the brigade? Perhaps have some info text about the brigade, explaining pros and cons? Well, this concept kept evolving, until we managed to implement a soldier portrait which changes clothes with technological advances, changes looks as experience is gained (filthy clothes, worn face) as well as medals awarded with increasing xp. I.e. a panzer brigade will eventually be awarded with wounded badge (black), then panzer assault badge, then wounded badge silver and so on up to knights cross with oak leaves. An infantry brigade will get the infantry assault badge instead of panzer assault badge, and likewise with other brigades. This system varies between land/naval/air to best represent the looks of these various arms.

The brigade representation allows you to follow your troops as time and war progresses, and to immerse you more into the development (or downfall) of your armies, i.e. seeing your 5th infantry brigade start out as young with spotless clothes, seeing them earn the iron cross 2nd class for the battle of Warsaw, getting more and more worn and dirty, ending up with the knights cross for battles during Barbarossa. Then see the once proud brigade again losing its’ decorated veterans as you are pushed back from Russia, ending up with green conscripts again. Ah the circle of life.
But I didn't noticed that effect so far. Can anyone confirm that?
(IIRC Devildrad or Danevang noted that it isn't working, but I can't find the post atm..)

In the end, I think, we would all like to be represented the higher need of training or NCO's and Officers in a unit.

To have it as simple integrated into the game as possible.
To get it "right" the LS must be changed that it not only creates officers but also nco. A new value.
Now we would have:
MP: Normal trained personnel
NCO: Better/special trained personnel
Officers: Very well/special trained personnel

These 3 would add with modifiers different amount of morale and Org to a unit.
If MP/NCO/Off dies in battle, then these values decrease also in the unit by that modifier.
Additionaly a modifier that affects the Defensive and Offensive Abilities would be good too.

So a unit with low initial off will suffer more in average if they losse an officer in battle. Right what happend in rl..
Same to nco etc..

Also units like Mtn wuld need a higher number of nco, and units like planes would need much more officers and nco's but few normal MP.
So if your pool of officers is empty it will build without and your units will be hampered by bad morale/org/combat stat malus..
This could be countered to an extend with good training, and if you have later enough off/nco to fill up the ranks.(-> The Su gets better year after year..)
If your units gain experience it should loose some if it needs to much reinforcements. Units were able to keep their lvl of combat experience up to some lvl of lost men. So this should only kick in after big losses, like below 50%, or with an incremental modifier.(Starting low, getting higher the higher the losses are.)

To round it up:
It would be very nice to have production of the equipment seperated from the unit training.
So building tanks and training men to use them would be a different story..
Also would make the representation of reinforce tanks or men much more realistic. No tanks= much worse combat stats..

To have it even highly abstracted it would be sufficient to have just three more values:

max_equipment_strength = 3000 -> Is the overall equipment of the unit, in total men equipment like rifles, numbers of planes/tanks or a percentage number for ships.
build_time_equipment = 120
So we also could have seperated the reinforce/repair costs/time for men and equipment.

In the end a unit woud look like this:

#Size Definitions
max_strength = 30 -> Is the overall strength of the unit, in total men, numbers of planes or a percentage number for ships so far.
max_equipment_strength = 25 -> Is the overall equipment of the unit, in total men equipment like rifles, numbers of planes/tanks or a percentage number for ships.
default_organisation = 20 -> This is the normal amount with all ranks filled
default_morale = 0.20 -> This is the normal amount with all ranks filled

#Building Costs
build_cost_ic = 1.5
build_cost_manpower = 2.90

build_time_equipment = 120 -> Normal basic production time

nco = 100
officers = 10
build_time = 365 -> Normal basic training time

Factories etc. could also need these three types of personnel and would suffer if they don't get their ranks filled.
So you could simulate the effect of having an army sucking up all your qualified men.

Added only one new value like the old MP value.(Like the suggested "QMP")
And three more values in each unit.
These values would need maybe some few modifiers attached to them by the engine.
F.e. the combat stat decrease if low on equipment, org/morale decrease when low on MP/NCO/Officer.
But as that could be static it would not be much more additional calculation.

Sounds good?

Cheers,
Chromos
:)
Cheers,
Chromos

wow, i can't wait. After seeing how great For teh Motherland was, i can't wait for this mod. Long Live Paradox Interactive!

Wow this looks unbelievably awesome! Theres so many improvements!!!!!!!

I'm not a heavy poster, but I am a long time HOI player...all HOI games to date!

That being said...I have money and who do I give it to so I can play this new gem? :p

Podcat is the new expansion already feature complete?

I think that the devs said in the beta sign-up thread that it's not.

podcat said currently its ~60% complete feature wise