• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

lemmy101

Second Lieutenant
88 Badges
Apr 15, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Age of Wonders II
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Heir to the Throne
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
Figured these are always nice threads. :) be interested to read other people's general advice. Let me know if you disagree with anything here, I've not played the demo enough to know for sure there hasn't been some change that nerfs one or more of these. Certainly some of them may be of limited use within a 20 year time limit but by release hopefully this thread will be quite long. :)

#1 - Always make sure you have the best council you're capable of having, particularly your chancellor and spymaster. If they are lower than 20 then you should look to hiring new guys immediately ** Exceptions: Zarine says:

Some of the bad event comming from bad counsil members are the best one ! Sometimes it's better than trying to assassinate the guy, you send him and event kill him for you...
And keep in mind that it give an opinion boost, so putting a vassal in the council before the best character can benefit you a lot.

It's worth pointing out though that vassals in a low crown authority country being on your council can be a pain in the backside, as when you most need your chancellor to fabricate a claim, or your spymaster to build a network, they may be leading troops for months warring your other vassals.

#2 - If you have a good spymaster and enough money, then a good way to get what you want in diplomacy with a country is simply to kill everyone who says no. For example if you want to betroth your daughter to a child ruler of a kingdom, and they refuse on the grounds of wanting a better alliance, then removing the regent (building spy network to increase odds in advance) will have a presumably less suited regent take over, who will perhaps be less wise with their choices of allies and say yes to your betrothal proposal.

#3 Use your council. It's easy to forget about using their abilities, but you should always be researching techs, or fabricating claims, or sowing discontent, otherwise you're not using the council to their fullest. Also, if assassinating, always get your spy master to build a spy network in the provence your target is in (viewable on the right of their main character page) or if arresting, always send out your marshall in advance to facilitate the arrest. It's almost always worth waiting for their job to be re-assignable before carrying out your intended action unless it needs doing immediately. 75% chance of arrest may seem like a lot, but you'll be kicking yourself if a powerful duke evades capture and brings your empire down because you didn't want to wait three weeks for the marshal to be freed up.

#4 Try and always choose your heir's wife for him, don't send him out to govern lands while single, unless you do so while he's a child because you have little choice (in which case try and bethroth him first). I've seen my heir make some stupid marriage choices, or stay single way too long.

#5 If your current character is troublesome, or you are preparing for your heir to take over, then you can use this opportunity to take out some enemies with little repercussions. Providing you've stockpiled a bunch of money, and have a good spymaster, you can go assassination crazy on a kind of kamikaze blaze of glory. If you succeed, you can remove troublesome enemies. If you fail, then your character will gain negative modifiers which will clear once he's dead (and if you do it properly that will be just about immediately) and you take over your heir. Preferably you eventually get found out and killed in retaliation, giving you control over your heir, who after all wasn't responsible for any of the tyranny himself. This can be risky however, as if you don't manage to get him offed before you run out of money, then you'll have hell to pay. Only use this tactic if you've got enough money. When you're getting low you may want to consider hiring an idiot as a spymaster to increase chances of you getting offed. Not very RP I admit, but it works.

#6 Marrying yourself or your heir to a princess means (most of the time, at least) any children born will gain a claim to the throne of the princess' country once she dies. And also you'll be able to push the claim of that princess to install her as queen. Over successive generations you can ultimately accrue a great deal of claims through strategic marriages.

#7 for all your children except your heir, always go for kind or honest in any child upbringing option (or, and this is complete conjecture, have them educated by someone who is kind/honest which I would assume increase the chance of them picking this option). This will mean that as pretenders, they are very unlikely to plot to have your heir killed. Also, in the same vein, always try and marry them to a kind/honest wife.

Last edited:
8. Remember the DEMO is not a full 20 years - wrap it up and look around all you want, but before 1086 starts and you get game over.

9. Keep the Outliner on the right edge of the screen locked open and make sure you choose what info you want shown. This is very useful for locating your battles, sieges, and council activities, inter alia.

10. When you select an army on the map, there is a shallow arrow on the right end of the army info box that lets you reorganize the units in the army between left, right, and center.

11. The only appointment available to a woman is spymaster if she is the wife or mother of a ruler.

12. Mercenaries weakened by losses cost less per month but the same price to hire as if full (they will slowly recover strength whether or not in service). Sizable mercenary armies can only "live off the land" (pay for themselves) by loot from storming baronies successively with overwhelming force.

13. Hold the right mouse button and drag to move around the Realm Screen (selected from the Character window).

14. You can't declare war if you have any levies in the field. Make your declarations of war, then call out levies. If your liege goes to war, he can levy your troops and they march off - under his coat of arms and out of your control, troops and leaders both - if you want to control what they do during the war, call your levies out yourself.

15. If your cash goes negative and you take a loan, the interest is the percentage of total paid in an additional lump sum at the end of the loan term.

16. The Realms, Diplomatic, Direct Vassal, and Opinion views can each be useful for identifying which counties belong to whom and who is hostile or at war with others. The Emperor in particular can have bits of demense all over. Demesne is pronounced with de- like did and -mesne like "main" and means the number of baronies (Castle, Church of City) directly owned and run by the player.

17. Wise marriages can provide prestige, satisfy ambition (with resulting skill increase), and create personal allies who will assist you in war (until the ally dies or dislikes you enough).

18. Never betroth your second son as his future wife's traits are a complete unknown. In the meantime his wife to be may pick up ambitious / deceitful stats and a high intrigue score, and you can bet as soon as they are married your heir's life expectancy drops suddenly.

19. When raising your heir, if you have a lot of vassals, personal diplomacy is a big big deal. I always focus on giving my heir a diplomacy related education. Having some extremely well educated diplomatic daughters around your court for educating your heirs is very useful. I tend to always have a daughter/sister with 25+ diplomacy hanging around, usually matrilineally married to a courtier (invited via intrigue screen) as backup for my heir. The cost in prestige is worth it. Marry off the daughters with poor diplomacy ratings for alliances.

Last edited:
Demesne is pronounced with de- like did and -mesne like "main" and means the number of baronies (Castle, Church of City) directly owned and run by the player.

Thanks for explaining that! I think one of the biggest stumbling blocks to understanding CK2 is all the terminology. Holdings, Baronies, Counties, Duchies, Desmesnes, Realms, Kingdoms, Empires...it's all so confusing at times as to what it means to the player. I was hoping the manual would have a good explanation of each level of government, but it doesn't to the extent that is needed for players who are not familiar with such terminology. In fact, if someone would be kind enough to post a cheat sheet as to the distinction between these levels of government, and their impact on the player, I would be much obliged. ;)

Can you guys offer advice as to how to deal with gavelkind succession? It really sucks when you have more than 2 sons.

Some people say, "Stick them in a bishophric!" How do you do that? How do you get a bishophric back in our little greedy hands?

Tech spread? I don't think I've seen it happen, do we get any notification?

Thanks for explaining that! I think one of the biggest stumbling blocks to understanding CK2 is all the terminology. Holdings, Baronies, Counties, Duchies, Desmesnes, Realms, Kingdoms, Empires...it's all so confusing at times as to what it means to the player. I was hoping the manual would have a good explanation of each level of government, but it doesn't to the extent that is needed for players who are not familiar with such terminology. In fact, if someone would be kind enough to post a cheat sheet as to the distinction between these levels of government, and their impact on the player, I would be much obliged. ;)

I'll agree with you that the manual was thin. Still after reading it i got alot of questions. It's comming together as i've tried a few games though. But there are still some issues like giving off landed titles to current vassals vs creating new vassals and stuff like Wrong holder type. Since i get it does the Count or Heir i just gave to get it aswell, and as such he's income is lower and in turn mine? Still, did you read the Appendix in the manual? To me it was the only part worth reading as the other parts was mainly simple game mechanics already explained at Beginner Tutorial. No doubt i'd like to see a manual similar to the one Magna Mundi mod for a game like this.

Can you guys offer advice as to how to deal with gavelkind succession? It really sucks when you have more than 2 sons.

Some people say, "Stick them in a bishophric!" How do you do that? How do you get a bishophric back in our little greedy hands?

Tech spread? I don't think I've seen it happen, do we get any notification?

When I start with Gavelkind I just try to change it as soon as possible. I think you need to rule for 10 years before any changes can be made, and some succession choices need medium or above crown authority. I think the easiest to get from the start is elective, from where you can nominate your own heir. However if there isn't enough time then I guess you have to go the bishopric option. Just grant the son a church land holding, that removes him from succession, and I think from there if you grant him the whole county he becomes a prince-bishop. As for getting it back, I don't think it's easy, since no one looks favourably on taking land from bishops. I know the Pope tells me to release imprisoned bishops, so he might have something to say about that as well.

#1 is the worth advice ever !
Some of the bad event comming from bad counsil members are the best one ! Sometimes it's better than trying to assassinate the guy, you send him and event kill him for you...
And keep in mind that it give an opinion boost, so putting a vassal in the council before the best character can benefit you a lot.

#1 is the worth advice ever !

Very interesting! Will add that. :) as I said I'm happy to be proven wrong as it helps me out and makes the thread more useful.

20. Providing wives for your vassals' courtiers & cabinet members is cheapest way of boosting relations (+state diplomacy) after you've exhausted honorary titles.
Similarly providing a wife/husband for a NPC you desire to join your plot might seal the deal (not sure if gifting money & this could be combined for more boost).

21. At the start of the game, check your vassal's opinion of you. Vassals with a negative opinion give less money. It's often really easy to get those opinions, at least in the positive, by handing out honorary titles. Try to get the opinion of bishop vassals highter than their opinion of the pope.

This could especially boost your income as a small count.

#5 If your current character is troublesome, or you are preparing for your heir to take over, then you can use this opportunity to take out some enemies with little repercussions. Providing you've stockpiled a bunch of money, and have a good spymaster, you can go assassination crazy on a kind of kamikaze blaze of glory. If you succeed, you can remove troublesome enemies. If you fail, then your character will gain negative modifiers which will clear once he's dead (and if you do it properly that will be just about immediately) and you take over your heir. Preferably you eventually get found out and killed in retaliation, giving you control over your heir, who after all wasn't responsible for any of the tyranny himself. This can be risky however, as if you don't manage to get him offed before you run out of money, then you'll have hell to pay. Only use this tactic if you've got enough money. When you're getting low you may want to consider hiring an idiot as a spymaster to increase chances of you getting offed. Not very RP I admit, but it works.

Be aware that your targets may well retaliate and kill your heir instead of your ruler though, and more, and more, and more... Assassination wars can quite easily get out of hand.

Dont "powerplay" , "roleplay" instead so when a bad event happens or your favorite ruler dies early just stick with it. Trust me you'll enjoy the game more for it. But saying that having a reserve of heirs and a good alliance or two helps :) Have fun!

Dont "powerplay" , "roleplay" instead so when a bad event happens or your favorite ruler dies early just stick with it. Trust me you'll enjoy the game more for it. But saying that having a reserve of heirs and a good alliance or two helps :) Have fun!

Indeed, setting your own rules seems to be somewhat mandatory, if you want a somewhat challenging game. The game seems very easy. CKI, and EUIII have this problem as well.

Indeed, setting your own rules seems to be somewhat mandatory, if you want a somewhat challenging game. The game seems very easy. CKI, and EUIII have this problem as well.

Yeah you definitely don't approach this game like you would Viki or any other grand strategy game where you try to squeeze everything from your resources and exploit the ai. It would make one boring, easy experience. Instead making decisions based on current ruler's personality traits makes for a more varied experience so the game really changes from father to son, unless you have a dynasty of hereditary tyrannical warmongers :). Having educated my own child in the demo i see how that could certainly happen.

I'd like some advice ..

1. How do I set up a son or relative as a bishop, do I have to 'evict' the current incumbant? Or can I set him as Lord Spiruitual and have him 'inherit' vacant posts within my demesne/realm? I thought lay investiture entitled me to invest my bishops not for them to just automatically spawn when one dies or vacates his office?

2. I'd really like some form of ui scaling. Even on my 22" in 1920x the windows are huge and scrolling lists of vassals are vast and unwieldy. Is this possible?

3. Whats the deal with Lord Mayors? I made one but I don't know how I did that or what the difference is? I am guessing a Lord Mayor is like a count ie controls multiple baronies, but is still my direct vassal and I still get the revenues ie not lost to fuedal obligation and 0 tax on noble fiefs? Is it a good idea to make lots of these and no counts then?

4. I have a hard time finding out individual realm laws. Like seeing what my liege lords laws are vs mine. Ui fail on my part I am sure.

3. Whats the deal with Lord Mayors? I made one but I don't know how I did that or what the difference is? I am guessing a Lord Mayor is like a count ie controls multiple baronies, but is still my direct vassal and I still get the revenues ie not lost to fuedal obligation and 0 tax on noble fiefs? Is it a good idea to make lots of these and no counts then?

4. I have a hard time finding out individual realm laws. Like seeing what my liege lords laws are vs mine. Ui fail on my part I am sure.

3) Lord mayor is when a burgher is given control of a county instead of some sort of noble. In general they will suffer some penalties due to being in control of the wrong type of holding.

4) on the laws screen click on the shield of your liege to see their realm laws