• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Can you get the Suez and Med Strategic modifiers? And if so, it might be worth it to go for them, as they are worth it. And taking out Vichy might also be worth it.

Can you get the Suez and Med Strategic modifiers? And if so, it might be worth it to go for them, as they are worth it. And taking out Vichy might also be worth it.

I don't thing we can get the strategic modifiers. If you look at the last screenshot, the territory that is acquired goes to Italy, therefore, I won't have the Suez Canal in my possession. I also think that you need to get a whole bunch of East-African, and Western Saudi Penninsula ports to be able to get the Suez modifier, and just about every port in the Med to get that one.

So much troops but unable to advance? there are usually like 6-7 divisions in that whole theater.. Jeez, Italian AI overestimating British and Iraqi forces..

Yup, but they seem to have troops to spare, by helping out with Spanish port defense!

Clearly the Italians are playing to their strength: standing around doing nothing. They did it against the French, they are doing it in your ports and they are evidently doing it in the deserts of North Africa. At least they are consistent...

With your fleet in tatters, how did you manage to send troops across the Med? A mad dash and a prayer, or was there a more considered approach? :)

Helping out the Italian AI in Africa is a very good idea. If the British lose the Suez, that'll benefit you as well.

Where are you losing ships? Can you cut convoys down / make new trade deals to avoid sea zones?

Clearly the Italians are playing to their strength: standing around doing nothing. They did it against the French, they are doing it in your ports and they are evidently doing it in the deserts of North Africa. At least they are consistent...

With your fleet in tatters, how did you manage to send troops across the Med? A mad dash and a prayer, or was there a more considered approach? :)

I prayed! Actually, i've seen a lot of Italian patrols in the Med, so I was fairly confident I could get my fleet over there. However, there was a bit of fear involved.

Helping out the Italian AI in Africa is a very good idea. If the British lose the Suez, that'll benefit you as well.

Where are you losing ships? Can you cut convoys down / make new trade deals to avoid sea zones?

Losing ships mostly in the east atlantic. I don't think new trade deals will go very far. unfortunately, I think there are fewer resources to go around in FtM.

Just be glad you received land from the Vichy event. You can thank me for that, as I made the vanilla Vichy event that awards some land to Nat. Spain if Spain controls it when Vichy is formed. Italy gets something extra too if it manages to grab more land than it historically did.

Just be glad you received land from the Vichy event. You can thank me for that, as I made the vanilla Vichy event that awards some land to Nat. Spain if Spain controls it when Vichy is formed. Italy gets something extra too if it manages to grab more land than it historically did.

*bows to the codemaster*

Why thank you sir!

You're welcome :) Actually, the original event was made by myself, but the version you're using was editing by (I think) Kriegsspieler.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the next update.

You're welcome :) Actually, the original event was made by myself, but the version you're using was editing by (I think) Kriegsspieler.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the next update.
Probably coming today. I've played up until the end of 1940 (not much happens), and want to play more, but must force myself to update before I do!

Just read trough the whole are and must say it's a very interesting one. Will surely be following!
The best of luck in North-Africa, but it seems your corps combined with the already quite substantial forces Italy has deployed in that theatre should be enough to take Suez.
But taking on the Russian bear might be another proposition...

Just read trough the whole are and must say it's a very interesting one. Will surely be following!
The best of luck in North-Africa, but it seems your corps combined with the already quite substantial forces Italy has deployed in that theatre should be enough to take Suez.
But taking on the Russian bear might be another proposition...

Welcome! Yes, North Africa doesn't look to be much of a challenge.... and Russia still scares Franco a bit!

Chapter 38: An end to the Bloody '40 - October 1 - December 31, 1940

While reorganizing his Army through the end of 1940, Franco decided to promote General Gambara, and to take over command of the almost 200,000 men of the 1st army group. Gambara had shown himself to be an excellent combat commander as well as a logistical wizard.

19401003gambara.jpg

In the 1st Army, Franco assigned four corps: the I, the II, the Mountain corps (currently consisting of the Spanish Armoured division, and a mountain division), and the German Expeditionary Corps.

194010201starmy.jpg

The 20th infantry division was sent to join its proper corps in North Africa. This, of course, was the corps of infantry divisions without any artillery attached, for ease of supply in distant frontiers.

19401010northafrica.jpg

North Africa as of October 10, 1940

By the 13th of October, the major port in Alexandria was being threatened by Spanish forces. They had outmarched the italians and were attempting to encircle the Iraqi and British divisions that were on the defensive.

19401013Alexandria.jpg

On the 20th of October, there was cause for celebration in the Navy, as the new Heavy Cruiser, the ARNE Jaime I, was deployed. This would be followed by two destroyer groups deploying for the Spanish Navy.

19401020newships.jpg

On the 29th of October, Spanish forces were exhausted in their attack of Alexandria. They had lost over 2700 men, but would not be deterred. Other units were in the process of encircling the tired British troops and would eventually prevail.

19401029Alexandria1.jpg

By the 2nd of November, the second, and ultimately decisive assault on Alexandria was launched. The generals would predict a short battle this time, and it lasted only another day.

19401102Alexandria2.jpg

19401103winAlexandria2.jpg

Then, the race began to take the eastern banks of the Suez Canal. The Italians had already been pushing the western side by the time Alexandria fell.
By November 20, the Spaniards had joined the Italian assault on Romani, on the eastern side of the canal, and a day later, the stronghold fell.

19401109Suez.jpg

The Suez Canal area as of November 9, 1940
19401120Romanibattle.jpg

19401121romaniwin.jpg

The Suez was now in the hands of the Axis forces. Along with Gibraltar being in Spanish hands, this left the British no way to ship in supplies for their ships, planes and troops, except by sending them over land through India.

19401123suez.jpg

Just as he was about to get to sleep on December 9, Franco was informed of a new British landing in Spanish territory in France. Fortunately, there were a large number of Axis divisions in the region to extinguish this incursion.

19401209englandinspanishterritory.jpg

Within 9 days, the threat had been contained and was in the process of being eliminated. By the 23rd, the British were on their last legs, fighting without hope of evacuation or relief in the province of Quimper. While they fought valiantly, the over 36,000 British soldiers finally surrendered on December 27th.

19401218attackingthebrits.jpg

December 18, 1940
19401223britishmopup.jpg

December 23, 1940
19401227quimperwin.jpg

As an eventful 1940 came to a close, Franco sat in his office in Madrid and contemplated his next moves. He would be in a position to take the land that was rightfully his - Vichy France - as of January 29.

19401229france.jpg

His troops were already getting into place to make a quick strike everywhere their territory was. In North Africa, in Europe, in the Levant. Vichy France would fall by march. Then the decision would have to be made about taking on the Russian bear....

A bit of a shame that the Italians get Egypt, but worth it if you have that soft underbelly of Europe locked up safely.

If you can get Iraq and Persia under Spanish control, it might be a good move to be prepared to attack up towards Stalingrad when the war with Russia starts. Getting the Red Army trapped in the Caucasus mountains might be more effective for the Axis than having the Spanish Army literally stand shoulder to shoulder with the Heer in Poland or Romania.

And of course, invading the UK is still on my to-do list for Franco! Hehehe...

A bit of a shame that the Italians get Egypt, but worth it if you have that soft underbelly of Europe locked up safely.

If you can get Iraq and Persia under Spanish control, it might be a good move to be prepared to attack up towards Stalingrad when the war with Russia starts. Getting the Red Army trapped in the Caucasus mountains might be more effective for the Axis than having the Spanish Army literally stand shoulder to shoulder with the Heer in Poland or Romania.

And of course, invading the UK is still on my to-do list for Franco! Hehehe...

First things first.....

The Med's been sealed, the British threw away another three divisions in a futile raid in France... Things are looking pretty good for Spain right now.

Are you planning on pushing further across the Suez Canal, into the Middle East? Once your settling of scores with the French (Round Two) is over?

Chapter 39: A Minor Conflict - January 1 - February 28, 1941

On the fifth of January, Franco noticed that the Italians were starting to pull their own weight in the Mediterranean. A fleet was posed to disembark troops to take the island of Cyprus, one of the last refuges available for the British fleet.

19410105cyprus.jpg

By the 14th, the province of Lefkosia had fallen, by the 19th, there were no more ports available in the Med for the British.

19410114lefkosia.jpg

On January 24, provincial AA guns were increased to level 2, and on February 4, Industrial production was researched to level 4, on Feb 7, infantry warfare advanced to level 4. On February 19, small arms was advanced to level 4. On February 22, an advance in the weapons for capital ships was made, allowing the newer battleships being planned for the Spanish Armada would be more powerful than before!

19410124AAguns.jpg

19410204indprod.jpg

19410207Infwar.jpg

19410219smallarms.jpg

19410222caparm.jpg

On February 3, Franco concluded negotiations with the German armament ministers to produce two brigades of Panzer IV Tanks in Spain. This would form the backbone of Spain's Second Armoured Division.

19410203prodlic.jpg

Also, on February 3, Franco's mission to bring greater glory to the new Spanish Empire began, declaring war on Vichy France. His battle hardened army surrounded the rump state and would head inwards, taking key strategic points, as well as battling against the French in North Africa.

19410203attackvichy.jpg

Battle reports flooded in from France, but Franco, knowing victory was well in hand, ignored them, awaiting only the word of final victory.

19410211vichysurrenderprog.jpg

Vichy France Surrender Progress, February 11
19410215vichysurrenderprogress.jpg

Vichy France Surrender Progress, February 15
19410217vichyprog.jpg

Vichy France progress February 17

Two weeks into the attack of Vichy France, the opponent had not surrendered. Franco was informed that too many important cities lay in North Africa, and he quickly dispatched the fleet to take Alger.

19410218invasion.jpg

On the 20th, with Alger secure, Vichy France capitulated, leaving it in the hands of the Spanish Empire.

19410220conquervichy.jpg

Now with this nuisance taken care of, Franco had bigger fish n' chips to fry.