• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well folks, we're coming up on the Holiday season and you already know almost everything about Crusader Kings II. So instead of a regular dev diary, let's run a little Q&A session. So, let's hear those questions and Santa Claus might just answer them. :)

Do "culture groups" exist in CK2? Do the Welsh and Irish treat each other as completely different cultures or is there some Celtic grouping for them that makes them like each other a little more than they might like really foreign groups like say the Saxons or Franks?

How is the Sue For Peace process structured: like CK with just money and claims; like EU3 DW with the overlay on the map; or even like Vic 2 with specific wargoals?
Also, when starting a new campaign can we choose only from scenarios, or any date like in EU3?

Merry Christmas and good luck with development!

How is the Sue For Peace process structured: like CK with just money and claims; like EU3 DW with the overlay on the map; or even like Vic 2 with specific wargoals?
According to DDs and videos, it´s like Vic2 but without the ability to add further wargoals. You go to war for a single wargoal and then when you sue for peace you either get it or don't (and if you don't, you lose prestige and, when fighting heathens, piety).

Also, when starting a new campaign can we choose only from scenarios, or any date like in EU3?
Any date.

Ok, thanks. :)

I just seem to come up with new questions, so here's more: in zone12's excellent video LP I once saw Holy Roman Empire become Germany on the political map mode. Later it was HRE again (and full of revolts). What happened? I reasoned along these lines: royal authority was increased or power otherwise centralized to the crown, which turned HRE into a more coherent entity (Germany) and later the emperor was forced to back away (and Germany became HRE). But what really happened?

I have not seen the video, but I would assume that the HRE still existed while a vassal kingdom of Germany was in revolt. Or, he was actually in the de jure kingdom map mode.

Also, is it as easy to mod in creatable kingdoms as it's to mod in new countries in EU? That would solve the Dutch kingdom issue.

Yes, very easy.

Anyone can grant the Pope land, thus creating a new Papal State. This is a very pious act.

Number two and three in the line will not like you or the current heir.

Is this just a modifier or trait or a given? Since not every brother, cousin etc. disliked the ruler and/or the heir, they might even have been (best) friends; can other traits offset these negative effects?

Merry Christmas to you and your colleagues. :)

Yes, very easy.

On the point of creating Kingdoms: They don't have to be attached to provinces, do they? In CK1 you had many kingdoms made for heathen tribes so they would stay independent, but those titles weren't based on any provinces and would therefore disappear after they were annexed. Such a thing could be quite useful (and as for a Dutch kingdom that'd be another way without altering the map). Whether through starting set-up or handing a non-land-bound title through an event or so on. :)

We've known for some time now that they changed it to Religion-specific ones (so no "Chaplains" for Muslims or Pagans, to alleviate that concern in changing from the generic Lord Spiritual). :)

Speaking of which, what are the current names for Ásatrú/Norse, Romuva, Sunni/Shiite, Tengri and so on for the Lord Spiritual?

He's called the Chief Diviner for all pagans.

And are both Erik the Heathen / Blot-Sven Ásatrú/Norse religion this time? It felt mighty silly to have them as Catholic in CK1. I'm presuming so, because of the Civil Wars, but considering how all of southern Sweden was decided to be abstracted as Catholic for game-play reasons wouldn't Blot-Sven have more trouble than he should with his own people in the south-east?

Blot-Sven is not in the game. We regard him as apocryphal. Erik the Heathen is Norse pagan though.

About map modding, has it changed much since Sengoku? If i kept working on, say, my Westeros map using Sengoku, would I be wasting my time because the map has changed a lot or would most of it simply work with minimal changes?

They use the same format.

Also, does the fact that Al-Andalus exists mean that Castille is going to get their de jure lands reduced, or does it mean that the same province can belong to different de jure kingdoms depending on religion?

Castille is smaller, yes.

Will religious minorities inside counties be represented. For example, if most of county X is Catholic, but it still has a significant Muslim minority, will it be represented somehow? Can it be modded?

No, but it could probably be modded with county modifiers.

Do "culture groups" exist in CK2? Do the Welsh and Irish treat each other as completely different cultures or is there some Celtic grouping for them that makes them like each other a little more than they might like really foreign groups like say the Saxons or Franks?

Culture groups exist, just like in EU3.

Merry Christmas and good luck with development!

CKII has a completely new system for this, mostly reminiscent of EU3 with the last two expansions. You can start at any date between 1066 and 1337.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas!

Blot-Sven is not in the game. We regard him as apocryphal. Erik the Heathen is Norse pagan though.

Grand. Does that mean you consider it to refer to Håkan Röde, as per Adolf Schück, or that neither existed at all?

Is this just a modifier or trait or a given? Since not every brother, cousin etc. disliked the ruler and/or the heir, they might even have been (best) friends; can other traits offset these negative effects?

Merry Christmas to you and your colleagues. :)

Yes, of course, it's just one modifier among many. Merry Christmas!

Culture groups exist, just like in EU3.

Oh, that's what I wanted to hear! :D

So that raises the question now of which cultures are in which groups, I think. Are the Lombards German or Latin? Are the Saxons (English) in the German group or are they in their own little group? Thanks again.

On the point of creating Kingdoms: They don't have to be attached to provinces, do they? In CK1 you had many kingdoms made for heathen tribes so they would stay independent, but those titles weren't based on any provinces and would therefore disappear after they were annexed. Such a thing could be quite useful (and as for a Dutch kingdom that'd be another way without altering the map). Whether through starting set-up or handing a non-land-bound title through an event or so on. :)

No, they do not have to be attached to provinces. Such "loose" titles are called titular titles in CKII.

Will there be a Cb that allow you to incorporate a Duchy (Brittany) into your Kingdom (France) with the Breton duke holding it's titles?

ps. God Jul

No, they do not have to be attached to provinces. Such "loose" titles are called titular titles in CKII.

Awesome. I foresee that being very useful. :D

Good to know about the cultural groups too, since it looked quite monolithic on the map.