• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fortunately I had the sense to play a Nat France game before this one and I've picked up a few lessons. As long as the carlists control gibraltar then the british can't get through so you only have to worry about british landings on the west african coast and in morocco. And, last time round, by keeping some cavalry back I was able to wait until the British marched inland before circling round to cut them off from the sea and let their supplies run out before finishing them off - I managed to wipe out 10 British divisions that way XD

Restoration of French Empire? Not without me! Subscribed.

Righto, currently working on the next update. I'm already halfway through (though suffering writer's block) so it should be done by some point this afternoon.

Interlude the First

Le Café Noir, Algiers, March 1937

Fabien sighed gratefully as he stepped into the warm interior of the café. It was a chilly day in Algiers and the brazier inside the café was a welcome site.

He glanced briefly around the café before approaching a table. The man already seated at the table rose to his feed and they kissed each others' cheeks in greeting.

Fabien smiled at his old childhood friend as they sat down. His smile darkened slightly as he caught sight of the headline of the folded newspaper lying carelessly on the table with a pair of brown leather gloves on to of it.

MITTELAFRIKA DECLARES WAR ON PORTUGAL

His friend, Georges Leblanc, noticed the direction he was looking in.

"Ah Fabien, the world is becoming a more violent place I fear."

"Oui, c'est vrai." replied Fabien.

Georges casually signalled the Algerian waiter to bring them two more coffees.

"So, how are things in the military?" asked Georges.

"Surely you know better than I," said Fabien with a wry smile.

Georges waved his hand absent mindedly "Despite what you may imagine, I am of no consequence at the ministry - details of the state of the army pass over my head. In any event, I would trust the impression of an officer on the ground and my cher ami than a report compiled by some dusty bureaucrat whose only military experience extends only to fleeing from the boche and the communards."

"Such as yourself?" asked Fabien pointedly. Despite the fact that Georges was technically an officer of equal rank, he had never been anything other than one of the officer bureaucrats who did much of the work of the government of the Fourth Republic.

Georges reacted with mock hurt "You wound me!" he exclaimed. "But answer the question s'il vous plait."

"Things are well enough in the legion. But we in the army are but a few good Frenchmen surrounded by a horde of rebellious Nègres. They are quiet enough at the moment but that could change in an instant if we take our eye off them.

"And now our neighbour to the south has defied the Kaiser and gone on the warpath. If Göring decides to send his Askaris north once he is done gobbling up the Portuguese colonies then we could be in real trouble.

"Also, it most certainly does not help that Le Maréchal, war hero that he is, has decided to let a few hotheads flock off to play soldier in the American civil war instead of staying here where we need them. Or that he has decided to waste money on building factories when we need new rifles and equipment and soldiers instead!"

Georges nodded neutrally while he waited for Fabien to finish his rant and then waited for the waiter to bring them their coffee before he replied.

"But Fabien, how will we make rifles and bullets without factories to make them in? Besides, the factories will be complete soon - I've seen the reports. And once they are done, then you will get your weapons and soldiers."

"I hope you are right." sighed Fabien "By the way, I hear rumours that our motorised infantry is being sent south, into the desert. Is this true?"

Georges glanced away "I couldn't possibly comment. But yes."

"So, we have civil war on the verge of breaking out in Spain, the Australians leaving the Entente to join the Japanese, Mittelafrika invading their neighbours, the British at war with the Swedes because they annexed Norway and the Communards looking to regain face for the boche forcing them to back down and the generals decide to send our best equipped men into the desert? Mon dieu, why?"

Georges gave one of his infuriatingly smug grins. "Did you happen to notice the war in America? They used to guarantee the independence of Liberia - you know, that country on the Ivory Coast where the Nègres think they're a second États-Unis? Let's just say that the generals think that with the Americans fighting each other that certain opportunities might arise with regards to the future of Liberia."

The two men shared a sly smile with each other.

"Perhaps I misjudge the generals then" said Fabien idly.

"Oh, not really. It was De Gaulle's idea."

Fabien snorted. "You pay too much credence to the idea of the 'Young Guard' you know. A lot of us younger officers might agree with De Gaulle on occasion but that doesn't mean that we're all in a sacred brotherhood with him as our leader."

"Peut-être, but that's not what the generals think."

"In any event," Georges added "Enough about politics. Let's pay for this foul excuse for coffee that they serve here and then find something more agréable to do. I happen to know a very good lupanar not far from here."

The two men smiled, threw a handful of coins on the table to pay for the drinks and stepped out into the city of Algiers in search of the pleasures the city could offer. After all, they were young and French, in a country where that made you the lord of creation.

Last edited:
Not sure if intentional, but "maybe" is "peut-être". "Pou-être" is fun though :).

Also, lupanar ? those nationalists sure are more fun than expected !

Thanks. I thought I might have spelt that wrong but I was too tired to double check. Anyway, it's corrected now :)

EDIT: And with regards to the lupanar - well, they are French after all ;)

Last edited:
Yeeharrr! On a train to not so sunny Peterborough and working on an update. It will be called "The Liberian Campaign". It should be up either today or tomorrow.

UPDATE: Okay, I was a tad optimistic. I'm a lot busier than I thought so I'll definitely get you some updates by the weekend but I can't be any more specific than that.

Last edited:
The Liberian Campaign

Throughout the spring of 1937, the Second American Civil War continued to drag on. For National France and other members of the entente, there was good news when the Pacific States of America, terrified of being caught up in the violence embroiling their former countrymen, joined the Entente, ceding the state of Alaska to Canada in the process.

Across the Entente, this boosted morale which had been flagging ever since the Japanese coup which had led to Australasia leaving the Entente.

This also provided an opportunity to National France.

The nation of Liberia, founded by freed black slaves from America, had long been a protectorate of the USA. With the US engulfed in chaos, the Liberian government petitioned Pétain's government to extend military protection to Liberia.

However, Liberia, despite long standing mutual resentment between the natives and the American educated political elite, was a relatively wealthy nation with a significant industrial base centred around the factories on the outskirts of the capital city of Monrovia.

With it now practically defenceless, the Marshal's government decided to deliberately misinterpret the request for protection as a request to become part of the French north African territories. When the Liberian government refused to comply with utter annexation, hostilities between Liberia and National France began.

Anticipating instability in the region, the Armée de Terre had already dispatched a motorised division to the Liberian border under the command of Major General Delestraint.

However, Delestraint, hundreds of miles from the nearest superior officer, found himself facing a Liberian army that were dug into defensive positions and which outnumbered him two to one. Accounts by his aide-de-campe reveal that Delestraint quite literally tore up orders to attempt a drive to Monrovia. Instead, he dug into defensive positions of his own and waited until the overconfident Liberians split their forces by sending an infantry division to push along the coastline to the port of Abidjan.

Delestraint immediately moved his own forces eastwards to intercept them, encouraged by the arrival of a PSA bomber squadron in the region. Via telegraph, it was arranged that the bombers would target the Liberians threatening Abidjan.

With the Liberians moving through hostile territory and with extended supply lines, the bombing campaign proved more successful than Delestraint could have dreamed. By the time the French were in a position to attack, the Liberian forces threatening Abidjan had disintegrated. Relentless bombing of their supply lines had led to the utter collapse of morale and the Liberian soldiers, mostly native Liberians who resented their American educated officers, had deserted to make their way home to their native villages.

Delestraint wasted no time in moving south to the coast, out of the dense jungle, while he waited for reinforcements to arrive and for bombing of Monrovia to break the Liberian government's will to continue the war. This was based on the widely held belief at the time that aerial attacks would completely destroy civilian morale and result in rapid collapse of society and order. As was about to be proved in Monrovia, this was nonsense.

With the French general staff certain that Liberian morale was at breaking point, an attack on Monrovia was ordered without waiting for reinforcements.

The attack proved into a costly failure which resulted in the deaths of thousands of Frenchmen and natives. Despite aerial support from the Armée de l'Air, Delestraint was unable to make significant progress into the Liberian interior. After days of fighting, Delestraint informed his superiors that he would not send more men to die in a pointless battle and withdrew to his starting position.

With the Liberian campaign at a stalemate, the Marshal's government was forced to reconsider the state of affairs in the south. This coincided with momentous events in Spain and the rest of Africa.

Only one division? At least, send in the Légion Étrangère!

You lost to Liberia? Oh the shame. :p

You lost to Liberia? Oh the shame. :p

Au contraire, mes amis. In the next update the Liberians are crushed and various interesting things happen with Spain. Thankfully my native reinforcements arrived just in time ;)

Au contraire, mes amis. In the next update the Liberians are crushed and various interesting things happen with Spain. Thankfully my native reinforcements arrived just in time ;)
Good to know. I was concerned about future confrontations if tiny Liberia could thwart you.

Kudos for avoiding the narrative trap of painting the player country as geniuses who are incapable of making bad choices. Same goes for their obviously suspect (outright villainous) motivations. It makes the plot seem more real, and thus more compelling. Good job!

Right. I was intending to post an update today but I've run into a little snag. I've been playing ahead of the AAR and started the invasion of mainland France. Unfortunately, the game has chosen this moment to stop working every time I try to load a save made after some point in May 1940. As you can imagine, this is causing me some problems and I'm currently trying to fix it.

I've posted in another thread asking for solutions, so, in the off chance that one of you knows how to fix it, maybe you could take a look and suggest some solutions?

Link

Anyway, I'm going to try and make some progress on this issue and if I can't then I'll do the update and keep going for as long as I can with the screenshots I've taken already.

Unfortunately, you will have to upgrade and start over.

Hm, I think I may have had a similar problem, but just to be sure, have you tried playing as another country and then clicking on National France. If it ctd's from that, then I think I know what it is.

Do you mean playing as another country and then clicking on a National France region?

Status
Not open for further replies.