• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
(Just to confirm, I am assuming I cannot vote in the primaries of the other party.)

(Just to confirm, I am assuming I cannot vote in the primaries of the other party.)

Technically the rules say that you can only vote in one primary, but yeah, I'd prefer it if you didn't vote in the conservative primary. You'd have a pretty significant conflict of interest.

(Thanks, for some bizarre reason I was compelled to ask.)

Name: Sebastián Carrow
Born: 1800
Background: Born during the turbulent period right before the Spanish-American Wars of Independence in Colombia, Sebastián gained an appreciation for the liberal and democratic ideas that helped spark the Independence Wars. When he was old enough to, he immediately joined the pro-independence forces and fought against the Royalists. After the wars were finally done and over with, Sebastián moved to Chile in order to start a new life for himself, free from the troubles of shaky Gran Colombian politics.

((Sorry if this is a little vague, I don't know very much in detail about South American history and I didn't want to make any facepalm-inducing mistakes, even though I might have anyways :eek:o I hope this is good enough.))

I will vote for Colonel Manuel Carrera as the Conservadore Candidate, firstly, because he shares a sensible policy in terms of the Peru-Bolivia Act with I, and because of his distinction in the War of Independence. We need to maintain a militant government to survive the possible attacks of our neighbors, and if we have an aristocrat or business magnate leading us, we will quickly fall to ruin.

And I vote NO on the Alliance with Paraguay.

Eduardo Silva
220px-Pintura_José_Miguel_Carrera.jpg

Eduardo Silva, known simply as Eduardo, was an Argentine general and one of the prime leaders of the southern part of South America's successful struggle for independence from Spain.

Born in Viña del Mar (Chile) on the 7th of May 1787 (49), he left his mother country at the early age of six and studied in Barcelona, Spain.

In 1808, after joining Spanish forces in the Peninsular War against the French, and after participating in several battles such as the Battle of Bailén, Silva started making contact with South American nationalists from Spain.

In 1812, he set sail for Buenos Aires from Portugal, and offered his services to the United Provinces of South America (Argentina). After the Battle of San Lorenzo of 1813, and some time on command of the Army of the North during 1814, he started to put into action his plan to defeat the Spanish forces that menaced the United Provinces from Upper Perú, making use of an alternative path to the Viceroyalty of Perú. This objective first involved the creation of a new army, the Army of the Andes, in the Province of Cuyo, Argentina. From there, he led the Crossing of the Andes to Chile, and prevailed over the Spanish forces at the Battle of Chacabuco and the Battle of Maipú (1818), thus liberating his beloved Chile from Royalist rule.

After Securing the Independence of Chile as well as Argentina, Eduardo returned home and commanded Chilean army of the Andes until he retired in 1830 because of a bad case of cholera. Eduardo recovered but was weakened.

During the Civil war, his services were called upon by the Conservadores. However, after much deliberation, he decided only to take an advisory role, wishing not to participate in the actual battles.

Although not currently comanding any army, Eduardo still holds an advisory role to the Chilean armed forces. He wishes to see the lands to the north under Chilean control but does not wish for the people of Chile to pay for it through heightened taxes.

Last edited:
(Perhaps we could be brothers? :D )

((Oh, I forgot your characters second name was silva. :) Sorry about that. I guess there are a lot of Silvas is Chile....

It is essential that we maintain the Peru-Bolivia Act and a strong military. Our lands are being occupied by the Bolivian and Peruvian tyrants and we must be prepared to take them back.

Romanos tax cuts are a dangerous policy we can not afford. We are only collecting less than 20% tax even with the 75% tax due to a shortage of tax collectors. Now is not the time for Romanos liberal policies of tax and military cuts.

Vote for Stability, Progress and Strength. Vote Rivera for Presidente de Chile.

"Exactly my dear Senator, we are in a shortage of tax payers, and with a high tax we will strangle the last of them and send them to the streets in poverty. We have to rebuild the country, and the Mining-Act is the best way to tackle the economic depression, and form a strong and stable nation. Any military campaign without funding will be a nightmare, and may spell the end of Chile, which is why should we wish to commit Chile to a military campaign, then I Senator Romano say we should do so with a strong military and a strong national economy to support this military throughout a possible campaign. You'r plan does not work in the long run, and all what our enemies have to do is to wait till the last taxpayer crumbles under the 75%, wait for our armies to slowly crumble, and then they can simply waltz into Chile.

My Mining-Act as stated earlier will not lead to the entire military crumble, anyone who thinks this has not yet read my Mining-Act, or is simply ignoring it. My fellow members of Congreso, read it carefully and i implore you to think about it. It is clear that in times such as these we have two choices, we can either choose to do what is easy, raise the taxes and sit on our laps and wait for the situation to improve, or we can do it the right way - adjust the budget, negotiate, invest and work towards a better future. Vote prosperity, security, staility, vote Senator Romano for El presidente!"

-Senator Romano

Please remember to bold your votes and keep in mind that Col. Carrera has withdrawn from the race.

The tally stands at:

Conservadores Candidates:
Francisco Rivera: 4
Eduardo Emilio Romano: 8

Alliance with Paraguay
Yes: 5
No: 7

Senator Romano has taken a sharp lead in the polls and the no-votes are edging up in on Paraguay Alliance issue

Gen. Silva,

Please throw your support behind Sen. Rivera for Presidente. Col. Carrera has withdrawn from the race and endorsed my candidacy as the only pro-military candidate running.