• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

TheCheeseMaster

Pluribus Minecraft
85 Badges
Mar 3, 2010
pluribus.org.uk
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Cities in Motion
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • For the Motherland
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • 500k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
After seeing this, i decided that i MUST buy Magicka. I'm downloading the demo as we speak.

Steam said it would take 20mins, it now says 20 hours so either im blind or they're lying. I want to get it solid from amazon, but it aint released yet for them.

Anywho, I'm wondering whether this game is worth every penny of the £9.60 i'm about to spend. Are most the bugs fixed? And is it really good?

The game is good. Give the demo a whirl to make sure it's your kinda thing and that your system meets specs.
As for the bugs: I have a core 2 duo, Nvidia 9800, 4 Gb ram, running win7 64 bit and haven't had a single issue.
It's definitely worth the price in my opinion.

The game is good, but it has compatibility issues with some hardware.
Post system specs here, others may know if your PC will run it properly.

As for the video ... is that guy living in the youtube stone age? "Out of time" really?
The video length limit had been 15:30 for some months before being removed entirely for a lot of accounts (mine included).
4:3 aspect ratio at 360p ... that's fine, I guess .. if his hardware can't support HD, but short videos, especially cutting out in the middle of a tutorial, is somewhat annoying.

All I'd say on the video is that he INDEED takes his sweet time to stroll down the tutorial, it's still entertaining, nonetheless.
Anyway, about magicka... you know, despite the mp desynching a tad too much and a few crashes back when it was at its earliest stages, it's still the best way to spend 10€ I can think of, would've paid the triple without any problem.

The game is great on concept, but there are a handful of bugs that persist due to shoddy programming. Things like goblin heads floating in the air after the airship flies away, weapons hanging and spinning in mid air instead of lying on the ground, and if you could make it so there are less issues with people getting cornered in the campaign, especially against the leaping bulls and the charging ones. Even with the teleport staff, haste, lots of heals and barriers I still can't get past that one part of chapter 3.

The game is definitely playable now and I personally enjoy the game mechanics a lot. Sounds like you thought the concept was interesting too so I'd say you should buy it. Especially now that the devs have shown us that they are truly committed to fixing the game and have made a lot of progress, the few minor hitches (mostly just graphical like the floating goblin weapons someone mentioned) aren't a big deal and will likely be dealt with in the near future.

The concept of the game is good. But the game itself is barely playable now (and it really doesn't depend on hardware in any way, because people playing it on 7 year old PCs, while others can't even start it on top-grade hardware).

I recommend you not to risk your nerves, and wait untill summer, hopefully it would be just a weird-written game by then, not a piece of coding trash as it is now.

It is worth the money its cheap and a nice game to play
some people are saying that it is broken but i have not see any major bugs
i have the odd problem starting the game at times but i think that has something to do with the intro vid and the xbox controller box popping up as I'm try to skip them.

from the 3 hours i have spent playing it it looks like it is a game made for Co Op but single player is still playable just a bit challenging but that might be my lack of skills :p
but play it say wait another 4 weeks to make shore Paradox makes shore there is no Games breaking bugs but like its been said most of paradox games have been buggy at the start just look at HOI3 that was worse than this IMO.

but over all Great buy for $10 at least its not Black ops where it is $100 and was completely unplayable until recently and i got it in late jan

but at the end of the day it your money your call

-Small

I haven't had any issues with bugs.
If the demo plays fine on your machine then you'll probably be fine.
I've spent 12+ hours playing and still find it fun.

If the demo plays fine on your machine then you'll probably be fine.
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?521647-Game-is-simply-unplayable

In case of THIS game I wouldn't be so sure. Becides, they break it patch ofter patch. Say, in 3.3.6 I palyed good for about 10 hours total. But since 3.3.7 it makes my video drivers crash (and I have GeForce, not Radeon). So It really should have been delayed by at least half a year. What we gor is beta at max.

I think they're updating the demo as they go, they're currently out of the "patch a day" cycle... and that dude had below minimum specs graphics card and has been a bit dodgy about his issues and ranting. Besides: he can play now (even with below min specs).

Every game has bugs. These developers are super commited (which is more than I can say about some bigger names out there) and generally most people that don't have issues in teh demo don't have issues in the game. Obviously there are always exceptions and hopefully they'll sort it out soon.

As for your vid card crash: what card do you have? is vsync on or off? have you reported in tech forum?

Aww....i dont even have the specs to play the demo (after I start it up, it instantly goes to the Magicka specs bit on the page)! Thanks anyways for the response guys.

Even with the teleport staff, haste, lots of heals and barriers I still can't get past that one part of chapter 3.

The thing magicka's adventurous mode excels at doing is hiding the one great tip it gives you about how to beat anything... in plain sight. When the loading screen tells you to use different elements if you're having trouble, it really means it.
Seriously, once you realize what your plain spells are capable of, you'll stop fighting off enemies... and begin hunting them down.

"Now you're thinking with magicks"

Very impressed with the game. :D

I love Norse mythology and I love a good satire of RPGs.

That and the game is a lot of fun too.

Even though I suck at it, I'm having a ball.

Well done Arrowhead!

These developers are super commited (which is more than I can say about some bigger names out there)
Who cares? Off course they are super commited NOW, because if they weren't they'd be flying off the industry with no back ticket in no time.
The thing is they should have done all this before the release. I meen it's not even a game, when >50% of playes can't clear it due to this or that reasons.

Hands down trolling. I couldn't be arsed to check out for updates back when I finished the campaign and it still crashed only twice, not a single SP issue for me ever since I patched it like 3 days after release, sure MP still desynchs and has problems, but they're working on it and anyway and fairly, there was little they could do to predict the issues that could pop up when it came to online gaming. Lan otoh was pretty solid by the time it was released.
Also, >50%? Seriously?
Oh and one detail, I see a lot of people who seem to have ignored min requirements because, hey, this game ain't going for maximum realism, therefore whatever it does must be easy to pull off.
Then you set 400 goblins on fire, see shit doesn't lag and start looking at the engine with more respect.

trolling? That's not trolling that's facts. To release something as bugged as this piece meens to have no respect to anyone - and the worst thing there's always some fanboys who'll protect the game no matter how bugged it is.
About minimum requirements it's another issue. The game with such graphics should have req's twice as low as they are now. It's just the lack of optimization that makes shitty graphics (in comparison to others) eat up so much resources. Most of bugs are due to this too. I suppose the engine is just so bad shaped, that it has a ton places to bug and lag.

I don't hate the game - the concept is very interesting. What pisses me off is the attitude of the developers towards the community. You say they are cool guys who work hard and fix bugs often. While I say they just spit into the face of the community by releasing a project that's not even nearly ready to release. And instead of encouraging such behaveor, as you do, they should be criticized and pointed their mistakes untill the game is playable by EVERYONE (not just chosen ones), and then they should be remembered as a team whos games worth buying only a few months after release and THAT with extreame caution.

The way how patches actually introduce more bugs to the game is just laughable. This way there'd be looong time untill the game is fully stable.