• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That'll be quite a fight and HG Mitte looks dangerously undermanned, given that it has to cover quite a bit once it streches around the marches towards Kiev.

Wow, you got a lot of bombers and quite few fighters. But a nice big Luftwaffe! Ready for Barbarossa.

I left some fighter wings over Germany and France. The Soviets are strong in the ground, but weak in the air (at least the intel says so :) )

Only two words for tis AAR :

Pure Beauty

Thank you, and welcome! :)

I did not started Barbarossa in game yet, probably will do in the weekend, so if you guys have any suggestions / requests, make yourself at home :)

Well, some points:

144 German divisions in the east. How many divisions are employed elsewhere? Could you replace combat units on garrison duty with Garrison divisons, thereby freeing up a corps or two?

Tactically, I'd move 2. PzGruppe from HG Mitte to HG Nord in exchange for 7th Army. You want to encircle the Russians in the north, moving to Leningrad as fast as possible to link up with the Finns, so you need a concentrated tank force up in the north. The tanks will also be able to encircle and crush Russian formations a lot easier than the slow moving infantry. The infrastructure in the Balticum is also better than the woods and swamps in the center. This has two advantages: The center will advance slower, which means that the Russian forces in front of them will not move as far to the east as others, making it easier to eventually encircle them in the Marshes. Secondly, the Finns will not have to defen provinces which are adjactend to German occupied zones, thus freeing up allied troops for the defense of their homeland.

I would move 3. PzGruppe from HG Mitte to HG south in exchange for 6. Armee, for largely the same reasons. HG Mitte, now without armored elements, will advance slower than both wings, which will eventually lead to a cauldron in the middle of the battlefield where the enemy center will be outflanked on both sides. Before that happens, 3rd and 4th PzGruppe will form the left wing of HG Sud. They will advance south of the Marshes towards Kiev and turn south once they surpass the majority of enemy formations, thus encircling them by blocking any possible retreat direction while the encircled Russian troops are destroyedin the Karpats. If Romania joins the war this early, the Panzer wing could even advance right down to the Black Sea, thus encircling the whole of the Russian southern defenses in one move.

The Luftwaffe in the east looks quite impressive. I suggest to distribute the fighters evenly on all three Heeresgruppen while concentrating the bomber wings to support the PzGruppen, thus helping to achieve the envisioned encirclements, both in the north against the Baltic Sea and in the south against the Karpats and possibly the Romanian border.

What additional forces will become available during the Operation? Do you have plans for anti-partisan forces?

On the tech side, I assume you're prepared as far as possible. How is your officer ratio?

Interesting points :)

I forgot to post the forces in other theaters. The OKH Theater is tasked with Barbarossa, everything else is assigned to theater OKW:

- WB. Frankreich - 2 armies, each one with 9 inf divs. The British have been attacking Cherbourg several times, however I'm garrison the most of the coast since I don't know if and when the US will come to the party. But I can pick some divs from here if needed.

- WB. Niederland - Covers Benelux. 1 army of 9 inf divs. I can also harvest some divs from here.

- WB. Nordland - Encompasses Denmark (1 corps of 3 inf divs) and Norway (3 corps of 3 mountain div each). Norway has been attacked repeatedly by the Canadians, so I won't move the garrison from there. The garrison in Denmark covers a strategic position, so I would move it only as a last resort.

- DAK - Rommel's armored corps (2 pz, 2 mot). Currently guarding Iraq and Kuwait coast, but as soon some Italian units get near, will be back to Europe.

- One Fallschirm corps (3 paras) that I can also use to plug any holes everywhere.

No land units are in the production queue - I want to see how much of the 500MP I have left will survive till the end of the year :)

Partisans in eastern front - If they pop up and if the slovak militias doesn't tie them down (they seem to love fighting partisans :)), it will be easy enough to bring a div from either side (OKW or OKH) to deal with them.

I don't bother with garrisons since neither their smaller IC or MP cost justifies their terrible stats versus infantry (actually now, inf is cheaper in IC terms).

Officer ratio = 160%. I have run 200% till France, but now I have knowledge of a terrible bug regarding officer ratio impact on org - http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457891.
So I will keep it there and focus back on techs (air techs and naval doctrines, basically).

Regarding the Luftwaffe deployment, thats exactly how it is planned to happen. I don't pretend to log bomb unless it is absolutely necessary or will not be harmful to me. The infra recovery takes too long.

Regarding the Panzer Groups, lemme think about it.

Once again real excellence in presentation!

Thanks fof the insight on your unit compositions and technological advance. It is interesting to compare with own emphasis.

After consolidating AXIS positions in west and south theatres, you now seem well prepared for the big shot in USSR.

Looking forward to see your progress and strategic outset paying off. I expect you to meet heavy armored resistance in the south over time, which also is the best terrain for it. Manpower losses might be high so your intention to save up for some time certainly is a wise one.

Goodspeed! :)

- WB. Frankreich - 2 armies, each one with 9 inf divs. The British have been attacking Cherbourg several times, however I'm garrison the most of the coast since I don't know if and when the US will come to the party. But I can pick some divs from here if needed.
If I remember correctly, you only need to garrison ports. Any invasion without ports will soon run out of supplies and thus be easily taken care of.
- WB. Niederland - Covers Benelux. 1 army of 9 inf divs. I can also harvest some divs from here.

- WB. Nordland - Encompasses Denmark (1 corps of 3 inf divs) and Norway (3 corps of 3 mountain div each). Norway has been attacked repeatedly by the Canadians, so I won't move the garrison from there. The garrison in Denmark covers a strategic position, so I would move it only as a last resort.
Certainly valid and completely reasonable to not move troops away from here Nordland AK
- DAK - Rommel's armored corps (2 pz, 2 mot). Currently guarding Iraq and Kuwait coast, but as soon some Italian units get near, will be back to Europe.
Well, at least 4 divisions which could be quite useful against Russia. May be you should remove them from Iraq now already, as Mussolini might want to use his own troops elsewhere while German formations are guarding his new playground.
- One Fallschirm corps (3 paras) that I can also use to plug any holes everywhere.
Any particular idea where to use them? May be drop them over enemy airfields once you're starting to steamroll through the Ukraine / Baltic? Frankly, I do not use them as they are too expensive when used in normal numbers and with 1.4 coming soon, they'll be even more expensive.
No land units are in the production queue - I want to see how much of the 500MP I have left will survive till the end of the year :)

Partisans in eastern front - If they pop up and if the slovak militias doesn't tie them down (they seem to love fighting partisans :)), it will be easy enough to bring a div from either side (OKW or OKH) to deal with them.

I don't bother with garrisons since neither their smaller IC or MP cost justifies their terrible stats versus infantry (actually now, inf is cheaper in IC terms).

Officer ratio = 160%. I have run 200% till France, but now I have knowledge of a terrible bug regarding officer ratio impact on org - http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457891.
So I will keep it there and focus back on techs (air techs and naval doctrines, basically).

Regarding the Luftwaffe deployment, thats exactly how it is planned to happen. I don't pretend to log bomb unless it is absolutely necessary or will not be harmful to me. The infra recovery takes too long.

Regarding the Panzer Groups, lemme think about it.

All in all, I guess you could savely move one army from France to help out HG Mitte. You could also use that army as OKW reserve.

Nicely organized and presented. Very easy to read and follow so thank you for that!

Thanks Luxun!

Once again real excellence in presentation!

Much appreciated :)

If I remember correctly, you only need to garrison ports. Any invasion without ports will soon run out of supplies and thus be easily taken care of.

I know, but leaving the vast French coast largely undefended seems strange. Once I DOW SOV, who knows what may happen with the allies, mainly the US. I'm a bit of roleplaying here too.

Well, at least 4 divisions which could be quite useful against Russia. May be you should remove them from Iraq now already, as Mussolini might want to use his own troops elsewhere while German formations are guarding his new playground.

They are embarking as we speak :)

Any particular idea where to use them? May be drop them over enemy airfields once you're starting to steamroll through the Ukraine / Baltic? Frankly, I do not use them as they are too expensive when used in normal numbers and with 1.4 coming soon, they'll be even more expensive.

Indeed, that's why I've trained only three divs. They do not have any assignments within Barbarossa, and remain a small part of the strategic reserve.

All in all, I guess you could savely move one army from France to help out HG Mitte. You could also use that army as OKW reserve.

I'm bringing one corps to garrison Germany northern ports, which until now, were a bit empty :) Surely if the situation in the east goes desperate I'll redeploy any forces needed, but guarding the west is as much as important.

Regarding your suggestions for the Panzer Groups redistribution, I think its a valid strategy, and now that I have a nice Barbarossa save I think I'd try different strategies outside this AAR - but I feel uneasy leaving the center without armored units - and again, roleplaying, Von Bock would be furious :)

I think I'd have to "feel" the first weeks before making such bold moves - I haven't played much against Sov in 1.3 with AIIP.

Also perhaps Hungary and Romania will cede their armies as exp forces once I link up with them. If that happens, plans will be revised.

The overview update was really nice to have. You presented a lot of information in a very neat, comprehensible way.

I also liked how you had the division compositions in the Russia update.

How do you make such great maps? Where do you find such awesome pictures!?

Obrigado! But... which pics do you refer to?

More More More......Start Barbarossa!! Finish off the Reds!!

K Lorberau

Spectacular! Awesome maps and I really like your historical approach.

Great work, keep it up! :)