• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know you have a winner when the "workaround" for broken saves is... don't use the save function.

Man those were the days... I used to get so mad after playing a good game of CK for hours and then trying to load that save and it crashing to CTD. I hate CK to this day because of that. :rofl:

These guys that are saying the games are getting worse are quite frankly talking out of their bums.

If Victoria 2 sells 100,000 copies that's $4,000,000 revenue.
If Paradox employs 20 workers and the average monthly salary is $10,000 then $2,400,000 of that is paid to employees for the year. That would leave Fred with $1.6 million to blow on pickled herring. :D

(**I claim no responsibility for my accounting skills, and of course didn't take publishing costs into account)

If Victoria 2 sells 100,000 copies that's $4,000,000 revenue.
If Paradox employs 20 workers and the average monthly salary is $10,000 then $2,400,000 of that is paid to employees for the year. That would leave Fred with $1.6 million to blow on pickled herring. :D

(**I claim no responsibility for my accounting skills, and of course didn't take publishing costs into account)

Nice rough estimate, but I'm sure there's a large overhead that it must clear first. Time for programmers, printing, advertising...

(I make no claim that I know what I'm talking about.:rofl::rofl:)

Don't forget Hearts of Iron. The first one was pretty bad at first, but got fixed up. HoI2 was playable pretty much right at release - it had issues, but those were mostly fairly minor.
And EU3 was playable right out of the box, except for a few poor souls with certain graphics cards.

No, it's still playable even for us. :p (Annoying, but playable - I've dealt with it for almost two years and even used it to write an AAR. EU3 on the bluemap is infinitely more playable than HoI3 was at release.)

Co-op

Great reason to buy more than one copy.

Btw, please provide some downloadable content to improve your budget. I will gladly support this game with more money if its good.

I rather pay 5$ more every month for some downloadable content to a game I like than buying a new game every month.

Paradox Games are worth so much more than 50$...

Thanks for letting Victoria 2 happen.

Just take as much time as you need to launch right for Victoria 2. If it is executed correctly, I will buy it.

Just take as much time as you need to launch right for Victoria 2. If it is executed correctly, I will buy it.

Well said, I am in full agreement! Take all the time you need Paradox! Ill be more than willing to spend money on a beautifully woven strategy game.

Ummm.... after HOI3 I may wait to see if it is playable.

I don't mind small bugs but HOI3 is definately a challenge.

I liked Victoria.

My purchase will probably put the game into a profit so will be looking forward to see a Bald Viking!

I'd just like to say that I'm with the CEO on this subject. It'll probably be a great game (Vicky I was), but I doubt it'll be a profit.

I'll still buy it, I just don't expect it to be a huge success.

I was disappointed in the rail system because I couldnt find a reason to build a transcontinental railway. Getting materials to markets seemed very limited, the combat system was annoying, and pop control with a click was a programmers idea, not an historians.

I will wait before buying because Vicky didnt deliver what I wanted.

Anyway, a real Viking would shave his head with a sword. I saw no mention of a sword, did anyone see a mention of a sword? No?

I will buy Vicky 2 for 100%. I own only EU3 + HOI3 and I need the missing link for the time line in between these two titles. Btw: I heard Vicky 1 was an awesome game. ;)

I was disappointed in the rail system because I couldnt find a reason to build a transcontinental railway. Getting materials to markets seemed very limited, the combat system was annoying, and pop control with a click was a programmers idea, not an historians.

I will wait before buying because Vicky didnt deliver what I wanted.

even though the rail system was not fitting _all_ the game needs, vicky had many interesting features that made it worth buying.

the pop system gives you a level of detail about ideologies, wealth, militancy, culture,... that no other game has ever made available to the players. and still it's historically accurate in an era when the main ideologies that ruled over the XXth century and nationalisms appeared.
i don't know if it was a programmers choice but it is historical. it's the pearl of vicky, it just need to be tweeked to improve playability. me thinks.

the pop system gives you a level of detail about ideologies, wealth, militancy, culture,... that no other game has ever made available to the players. and still it's historically accurate in an era when the main ideologies that ruled over the XXth century and nationalisms appeared.
i don't know if it was a programmers choice but it is historical. it's the pearl of vicky, it just need to be tweeked to improve playability. me thinks.
The criticism was not about the pop system as a whole, but about the interaction with the pops: A player just clicks "promote pop to X" and pays a few resources, and in an instant a whole group of people miraculously go from farmer to capitalists. That is highly unrealistic, as it implies that such class change was a matter of state intervention.

A more historical model would keep the pop system but detach the player from direct interaction. You might set up the incentives, but the actual societal change should happen on its own (under the right circumstances).

Status
Not open for further replies.