• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
May resting the navy not come back to haunt you :)

Nice progress in the Philippines. Island hopping is not a priority, I presume?

Take down the Philippines! Do you know whether you get resource stocks on conquest of the capital or annexation as in HoI2?

Nice update! *cheers for the IJN* Good to see that the...SEVEN?!! carriers. My god...you had 7 carriers in that fleet. Did the CAGs fly out to bomb the US fleet? Interesting how quickly the Philippines got rolled up too...

The 5th and 8th images arn't working for me.:wacko:

Good to see the IJN update end in a high note this time. Hopefully the fuel situation continues to stabilise.

Last edited:
Excellent news overall! Good to see the that the the Japanese boot is successfully beginning to crush the Pacific.

If/when you do take control of the Philippines and the Dutch East Indies, do you think that your resource issues will be solved? I don't own HoI3 so I really have no idea as to the resource distribution in the game.

I highly doubt it, He'll be plagued by resource issues for some time to come IMO.

May resting the navy not come back to haunt you :)

Nice progress in the Philippines. Island hopping is not a priority, I presume?

Yeah the philippines are coming along nicely. Island hopping isn't going to be a priority until China is done and I can commit brigades to defending islands and what not.

Take down the Philippines! Do you know whether you get resource stocks on conquest of the capital or annexation as in HoI2?

I sure hope so, I really could use the spare resources. Hopefully I'll annex the philippines and find out.

Nice update! *cheers for the IJN* Good to see that the...SEVEN?!! carriers. My god...you had 7 carriers in that fleet. Did the CAGs fly out to bomb the US fleet? Interesting how quickly the Philippines got rolled up too...

Thanks for cheering haha. Yeah I'm still not sure what the best navy is so I just put all my CVs in one fleet, probably not the best idea. I hear 17 ships is optimum to have. I also think BB are better than CV iirc. I had the CAGs on CAG duty so their supposed to fly out and bomb the enemy, I couldnt see anything like that during the battle though. I only saw the IJN Hiei light up and do the little firing thing.

The 5ht and 8th images arn't working for me.:wacko:

Good to see the IJN update end in a high note this time. Hopefully the fuel situation continues to stabilise.

Strange, nothing different about those screenshots. I'm sorry they didnt work :(

Yeah the IJN can finally hold its head high. I think once China is done the fuel situation will die down, I think/hope thats the case or else i might be in trouble.

Excellent news overall! Good to see the that the the Japanese boot is successfully beginning to crush the Pacific.

If/when you do take control of the Philippines and the Dutch East Indies, do you think that your resource issues will be solved? I don't own HoI3 so I really have no idea as to the resource distribution in the game.

Taking the Philippines and the East Indies will certainly give me more resources but I don't think they'll answer my resource problems entirely, although i wish they would of course.

Thanks so much for reading and commenting everybody! IJA February update up tommorow night or thursday night.

A Day of Infamy, Japan 1941 AAR
February 1942: Imperial Japanese Army Update

Given the Imperial Japanese Armys position in the beginning of February it was natural to think that February would be a terrible month of costly setbacks, a 28 day month that felt more like 28 weeks...Upon closer inspection of the details, maybe 28 years...

chinasupplyfeb42.jpg

At the start of February the entire southern front and central Chinese fronts were out of supply. The southern front had enough men in defensive positions to stop a Chinese advance, the central front appeared to be a much bleaker situation. The Chinese had advanced deep into IJA territory and were threatening to cut off the entire southern front, encircling tens of thousands of Japanese soldiers. Because of the lack of supply the IJA troops on the front were unable to stop the advancing Chinese divisions:

centralchina2feb42.jpg

By the 9th of February the war in China looked as if it had been lost. The southern front was almost entirely encircled, and while progress was being made in the north of China, the divisions were moving too slowly to be of any help.

centralchina9feb42.jpg

The only remaining front in China was the Guangxi front, and it was here where the future of Japan would be decided. If the divisions on the Guangxi front forced a Guangxi surrender in short order, then they could advance into China with little to no opposition and China would no doubt crumble. But if the Guangxi warlords managed to delay the Japanese advance then all might be lost. Luckily for the IJA the Guangxi front was the front the Generals were most optimistic about.

guangxifront2feb42i.jpg

Three Guangxi divisions were encirlced and about to be destroyed, another three divisions were being attacked and defeated by IJA soldiers. Victory against the Guangxi Clique seemed at hand

To ensure a quick surrender an infantry division commanded by General Shibashi was ordered to march on the Guangxi capital of Gulin.

gulinmarch.jpg

BE028303.jpg

Shibashi's division advances without bloodshed through the Guangxi countryside.

Meanwhile, Japanese divisions around Hong Kong attempted a breakout into Eastern Guangxi territory.

hongkongbreakout.jpg

on the 9th of February Gulin fell to Shibashi's infantry division. Two days later
the Nation of spineless warlords finally surrendered to the Empire of Japan. Li Zongren fled to the United States, claiming that he needed medical treatment, the IJA boasts that the treatment he needed was treatment for his wounded pride.

guangxisurrender.jpg

With Zongrens departure a powerless figure head was appointed to lead the Guangxi government. The Guangxi Clique was no longer a faction controlled by Warlord-Generals, is was a faction controlled by Japan.

Once the surrender of the Guangxi Clique was announced almost all Japanese divisions that were fighting on the Guangxi front were ordered to advance into heart of China.

advanceintochina.jpg

The divisions not ordered to advance into China were sent to fight the British in Indochina, where the British were making steady advances.

britattackindochina1.jpg

British armour somehow overwhelming Japanese soldiers! A retreat was ordered so that the divisions could regroup. Unfortunately the retreating IJA divisions were re-engaged by the British shortly after their retreat.

britattackindochina2.jpg

GiropaPoint-vi.jpg

British armour advances in the jungles of Indochina

Again IJA soldiers were being bested by British armour. This, seemingly elite, British armoured division threatened to cut Japanese Indochina in two if more divisions could not be sent to delay its advance.

On the last day of February the greatest news of any Japanese campaign to date, be it IJA or IJN, was received. Nationalist China had surrendered to Japan!

natchisurrender.jpg

The Kuomintang Government collapsed after Japanese soldiers poured into the interior of China unopposed. Chiang Kai-Shek, who was to be beheaded for his role in the war, somehow vanished without a trace. The Japanese government held an emergency meeting about the fate of China. Some officials wanted China annexed outright, so that Japan would have access to its industry, its rescources, and its brightest minds. This was not without its critics. Many said that the industry gained from China would cost more resources to run than were gained from China, and if this was the case Japan's stockpiles would shrink even faster.

Hirohito sided with the officials that were against annexation. His reasoning was that Japan did not possess the manpower to garrison all of China, he also stated that fighting Chinese partisans would put a tremendous burden on the already frail supply lines into China. In summation, annexing China would be more of a problem than just simply creating a puppet government. With the stroke of a pen it was ordered that a puppet government be set up in China.

The IJA divisions in China were sent to three different locations after the peace was signed.

The first group of divisions was sent to Nanjing, after their arrival they would be deployed to different ports where they would be transfered from IJA control to IJN control.

The second group was sent to Indochina to fight the stronger-than-expected British aggresors.

The third group was sent to Manchuria to guard the border against a possible but unlikely Soviet attack.

The IJA learned an extremely valuable lesson from China: Logistics, while not as glorious and honorable as combat on the front lines, cannot ever be neglected. For if logistics is neglected, combat on the front lines cannot cannot be sustained and the war cannot be won. China would have been lost if not for the success of the IJA against the Guangxi Clique. If China had a more competent ally they could have possibly encircled the bulk of Japanese forces in southern China and destroyed the enitre southern army and Japanese ambitions in the Pacific along with it. This, thankfully, was not the case.

At the beginning of February the IJA could not have dreamed that China would have surrendered. It truly is a testament to the skill and fighting spirit of the Japanese soldier. March will most likely be devoted to pushing the British from Indochina and back into Burma. Also many IJA divisions will be given to the IJN so that Japanese conquest of the Pacific realm can swiften.

All of the IJA officials are extremely confident that Japan cannot be stopped now that China has been dealt with. For once the Empire of Japan has a legendary military success to brag about. Hail the Emperor! IJA HQ out.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for the delay in the update, had to work extra hours to pay for school books(alot more than I thought they'd be)

Next update hopefully tommorow or Monday but no guarantees.

Last edited:
I fail to understand why you made a puppet out of Gunagxi Clique, it could have gone to Nationalist China........:confused:

Anyways, this is great news! You now have a powerfull ally in your pocket, dont fail to use it to it's full potenial. I'd like to see who is the new leader of China now that you puppeted them.

Things are looking a bit bleak in China, the Guangxi victory notwithstanding. Stabilize your front!

Also, it appears that your second picture isn't working.

Same for me.

Happened in the last update, but I go the impression that only I was having problems.

Taking Manilla didn't give you any resources?

I actually forgot to check when I captured it, in any case I didn't think you got a nations resource stockpile until you annex, but I'm not sure about HOI3.

hurraaaa! glad that is out of the way. now the real war begins

Yeah, the Brits are looking mighty tough in Indochina. I also have to avenge the IJN defeat at Malaya and conquer the Dutch east-indies.

I fail to understand why you made a puppet out of Gunagxi Clique, it could have gone to Nationalist China........:confused:

Anyways, this is great news! You now have a powerfull ally in your pocket, dont fail to use it to it's full potenial. I'd like to see who is the new leader of China now that you puppeted them.

I had no the Guangxi clique could go to china, after all it is only my 2nd HOI3 game.

I'm really happy about China being over and being able to use their divisions, I'd be even happier if you could military control an ally but thats another story. If I remember I'll log in as China and see who the leader is.

Things are looking a bit bleak in China, the Guangxi victory notwithstanding. Stabilize your front!

Yeah I tried to redo it last night bus Imageshack kept crashing! Going to try again soon.

Same for me.

Happened in the last update, but I go the impression that only I was having problems.

Imageshack has been giving me problems. When i was updating yesterday I had to restart firefox atleast 3 times so imageshack would work.

You have an HQ for IJN?

all of the naval units are attached to a HQ, but if you mean the words I end with at the IJN updates, its just sort of a figure of speach, like the headquarters for naval operations is giving the report of what happened.

Thanks so much for reading and commenting everyone. I'm going to try and fix the 2nd picture.

Glory to the Emperor of Nippon! Pleace be upon his name, let his enemies fall like trees rotten to the core! Bring out the schoolgirls in short skirts, rejoice, be glad! Asia is at the Emperor's feet, let it be eternally so!

Does Nat China have cores on those provinces?

I was under the impression that none of the Chinese "states" had cores on any of the others in HOI3 unless you used a mod.

Excellent update! Question: Did the Nat Chinese seem to fall too soon? Playing HoI 1 it took nearly 2 years or so to get the Nat Chinese and Commies under my thumb...er...protection.

I don't think the Chinese fell so soon, given that this was a '41 start.

This is a great victory and opens up a lot of forces for other fronts, and great opportunities in Asia. Crossing Yunnan into India gives you the opportunity for a great prize if you can get to Rangoon or another port faster then your supply runs out.