• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 23

Second set - The Failure of a Republic

800px-St_George%27s_Chapel%2C_10_March_1863.jpg

St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, during the wedding of the Prince of Wales and Alexandra of Denmark in 1863

As a consequence of the restoration of monarchy in Germany, there was a lot of talking about whether the former kings of the 39 separate states of the II Reich. Some of that talking was solved in the referendum, but it took a bit of a time until a final measure was adopted. It was decided, by the Bundestag -prior to its renaming to Reichstag-, that the successors of a person thus deprived of their peearage were allowed to petition the Crown for restoration thereof.

The first one to do it was His Royal Highness Franz Maria Luitpold Rupprecht (1) (born in 1933), the grandson of the last King of Bavaria, Ludwig III. Born as Prince of Bavaria (Prinz von Bayern), he had changed his surname to Duke of Bavaria (Herzog von Bayern) after the death of his father. As his grand-grandfather had issued the Anifer Erklärung (Anif declaration), in which the King released all government officials, soldiers and civil officers from their oath to him, but made no declaration of resignation, Franz asked for having his peerage back arguing that the was no actual abdication. He added that he wanted, of course, to keep the style of Royal Highness, but he won't assume the higher title of king. The same can be said about Karl Ferdinand Philipp Albrecht (born in 1936), heir of the King of Würrtemberg, deposed in 1918.

Friedrich Alexander, Margrave of Meissen (born in 1954), head of the House of Wettin and heir to his great-grandson Frederich Augustus III, the last king of Saxony, did not petitioned the Crown for the restoration of the said titles, as his great-grandfather had abdicated on 13 November 1918. Thus, he felt he had not right to ask for having his titles back.

Thus was solved the question of the former Königreiche. Then came the Großherzogtümerg (or Great Duchies), the Herzogtümer (or Duchies) and the Früstentürmer (or Principalities). In most cases the former dukes and princes petitioned for the titles, even if they were nothing more than formal recognition that, if we forget the fact of having the title back, it gave right to few else. Actually, there was no one about the claimants that asked to have their castle or lands back -with a few exceptions, it must be added. All in all, the last stage of the German Restoration was solved quietly and without much trouble.

An unexpected side-effect was the anullement of the Titles Deprivation Act of 1917, which returned to those German citizens their British Dignities and Titles in 8 November 1917. Thus, Andreas, Prince of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha and Duke of Saxony became again Duke of Albany, Earl of Clarence, Baron Arklow and a Prince of the United Kingdom; Ernst August of Hannover, Duke of Brunswick-Lüneburg became Duke of Cumberland and Teviotdale, Earl of Armagh and a Prince of the United Kingdom, titles which were restored by the British Crown. In this line must be seen the restoration of the Garter flags removed from St George's Chapel at Windsor Castle in those hard times.

800px-Reichstagsgebaeude.jpg

The Reichstag buidling in Berlin.​

Meanwhile, while this went on, a wedding went unnoticed by the press, too busy with the Royals. Had some journalist witnessed it, he would have find it quite... particular. To begin with, there were two brides. Or perhaps there were two grooms, depending on the point of view. Anwyay, the civil servants of the register office in the Schoeneberg district of Berlin were quite bemused by the angered face of one of the brides, a beautiful long-legged blonde, who, despist of being the bride (well, at least one of them), dressed all in black. Even her short skirt was black. At her side there was a young man with a black eye, properly attired for the moment, but for the odd old-fashioned Burgundy Wedding Cravat, where one could read "Johann rulez!". It should be added that the bride was fighthing with a mad wish of laughing and only the lovely murdering look of her future wife kept him from doing it. Finally, there was a third girl, a charming brunette with a huge grin on her lovely face, all dressed in white, even the skirt, shorter than the black one of the first lady.

The most interesting moment of the ceremony came when that curious words were uttered.

'Until death do us part...'

-Death, you say... -said the bride, placing a finger under her chin and looking at the groom, first with a thoughtful expression on her face, then, with a growing grin. After two or three seconds of utter silence, she answered- Well, in that case, I will.

Had someone looked at the expression of the groom, the unskilled observer could had sworn that he went pale...

Thus, in that uncanny way, Duckie and Käthe and Alix got married (2).

A few years later, while remembering the moment, Käthe would reflect about the wedding:

-No wonder that no one noticed our wedding, my dear... Who would have noticed three madpeople in those days, where there were plenty around?

ScreenSave1-14.jpg

Over the table, an old yellow page of "The Sun" cried out loud:

"The truth behind the Pont d'Alma:

The MI6 killed Fergie!
"(3)

(1) I should say that this and the following German royals are just characters created for this AAR, based in some of the actual princes and dukes of Germany. Just for you to know...
(2) I bet that there are some laws against bygamy in Germany, but, for the sake of the story, let's forget a while about them...
(3) Sorry for the bad joke, but I couldn't find a better joke to say that, in this timeline, Diana, Princess of Wales, is stil alive. I'm an odd guy, I know...

Yay Duckie! Enjoying his...marital priviliges will probably be harder than getting married...:D

I call Anglo-German personal union! :D

Mmmh, good idea...

I believe that it has been intact for a long time. :p
Or did all the Saxe-Goburg-Gothas die somehow?

That is madness!
Poor Dückchen. :p

No, the Windors are still in good health and The Merry Wives Of Saxe-Goburg-Gothas is still being represented with huge success.:D

Yay Duckie! Enjoying his...marital priviliges will probably be harder than getting married...:D

Mmmh... just imagine the bed:

Käthe, sharping her knife.
Alix, reading Cosmo.

Duckie sleeping in the dog's house.
The dog protesting loudly.

:D

He got married, indeed. Now he has to survive that.

Madness :D
I like to read Ger AARs and will stick to your AAR :)

*Subscribed*

Then ejoyn, cause here are three -3- Germany's in one AAR! :D

Provided I manage to sort it out...;)

It's good to have Kaiser back. :D

Wow, Alix must be very understanding, which is hard to come by in a girl nowadays. Sounds like a girl for me...oh wait...SHOOT!! I'm always late. As soon as I get there they turn lesbian :p

So much truth in one sentence :p

Yes, indeed... sigh...

:D

It's good to have Kaiser back. :D

Yes. A pity that this one doesn't have a big moustache...

Or not...

Wow, Alix must be very understanding, which is hard to come by in a girl nowadays. Sounds like a girl for me...oh wait...SHOOT!! I'm always late. As soon as I get there they turn lesbian :p

Alix is awfully understanding, patient and quiet. About you're being late, you can have some surgery to remove some parts of you and to add something. Then, try your luck with Alix... :D

I already have that in my AAR a long time ago, just haven't written anything about it. ;)

Yes, but... what the Yanks would say about that? :D

Chapter 24

First set - The Failure of a Revolution

The wedding of Elizabeth of Princess Elizabeth, the daughter of King George VI, with Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark, on 20 November 1947, was an excellent opportunity for the Royals around the world to gather at Montreal. For most of them it was just a chance to bring back the glory of the past. However, for some of them, the wedding was nothing more than the opportunity to find a way to finish with the Syndicalist plague and, perhaps, to recover their regal inheritance.

The solution, as it has been recently known when the Library of Congress opened to historians cabinet documents which had been unlocked after their 50 years in storage, was proposed by the most unlikely candidate ever, that is, the US President (1), the Republican Thomas E. Dewey. Up to this very day historians are still puzzled about the real intentions of Dewey behind his daring proposal, which would later become what today we know as "Operation Benedict Arnold", which was just one of the 36 operations run by the Bodyguard plan, aimed to cause the demise of the Syndicalist tyrannies.

elizabethphilip.jpg

Third set - The Brown Bolshevik.

One of the first issues that caused some friction between Kaiser Wilhelm II and Reichskanzler Remer was related with the Armed Forces Bill. Initially, it was just to be reduced to two heavy cruiser of the von Bülow class and two of the modern Bismarck-class battleships. Claiming that France just willing to take revenge from the defeat of the Great War and poiting and the threatening attitude of not only the Syndicalist nations but also the reborn Russian Empire, Remer pontificated in the Reichstag, again and again, to increase the size of the armed forces. Finally he got it, and the bill would allow him to call him to arms 750,000 men in to the ranks of the Imperial army, to build 300 Pzkpfw Nbfz VI tanks to form the first Panzer Divisions of Germany and to vastly increase the amount of guns and the ammunition reserve of the land forces. Knowing that pressing for more money to reinforce the Luftseitkrafte would be rejected, Remer had enough with this victory.

screensave1.png

The Kaiser, who had always loved his armed forces, was reluctant to this measure, because he was afraid that it may worry his loyal subjects, who may think that Germany was, again, on the war path. Wilhelm had grown older. The former Oberster Kriegsherr prefered to be seen right now like the "Uncle of Europe" and wanted peace to rule their wide Empire. Remer, who kept in mind that the conservatism and complacency that replaced the victories of Frederick the Great had led to the defeat of 1806 and the humilliation that following until the rebirth of 1813, was decided not to repeat this mistake again.The Armed Forces and its officers would guarantee, again, of the discipline an stability not only of Germany, but of the whole world. Thus the need to increase its size. In that, he had the agreement of the Oberst Heeresleitung (OHL - General Staff) and of its most prestigious and visible head: von Mackensen.

His first act in this direction was, however, in apparent contradiction with his policy, was to send to the scrapyard the four battleships of the Helgoland class, along with all the submarines of the Type IIA class, which were too small for Remer's concept of naval warfare. Finally the Helgolands were sold to Germany's allies: Helgoland was taken by Finland, Oldenburg was ceded to Bulgaria, Thüringen was sold to Turkey and, finally, Ostfriesland was ceded to the navy of MittelAfrika.

screensave8.png

The Oldenburg, in happiest times...

Then came the Black Monday and nobody noticed the secret trip of Adolf Hitler to London.

interlude2.gif

Interlude​

Duckie was having a hard day. After reading all his boxes he was trying to decode the mumbo-jumbo of his officers, that is, his Private Secretary, Bernard von Schwarzerwäldchen,and the Permament Secretary of the DAA, Humbert Freiherr von Funck. To make it worse, he depended on them, as most of the members of the new administrators, who knew next to nothing about how to run a government. Being a new-born party, it was not a surprise that no one had no idea how things were really done (2). Thus, all depended that the Civil Service behaved honourably (3).

One of the problems became when Ducky tried to know what unfufilled projects had left the former administrators, just to see if some of them could be worth of being following. It goes without saying that von Funck did not say a word about it, as he was not keen on revealing secrets that might compromise the antecesor of Ducky (4).

-But...

-Minister -von Funck said, looking quite seriously at the bewildered Ducky-. Can you keep a secret?

-Of course I can!

-I can too.

When Duckie went back home, he knew he had not moved an inch further in his attempt to "rule" his ministry. Käthe, his "loving" wife, fully agree with him, while Alix, his "other loving" wife, tried to cheer him up a bit.

-They are not showing me the papers, Käthe!

Looking at the seven boxes filled with documents he had to read that night, Käthe couldn't but give a little laugh about it.

-Not the real ones, I mean.

-Which real papers aren't you getting?

-How do I know, if I'm not getting them?!?!?!

-That's the Light-in-the-Refrigerator Syndrome -said Alix, trying to be helpful. Something in Duckie's face moved her to add -: Is the light on when the door is shut? The only way to find out is to open the door, in which case the door is not shut any more.

It's no wonder that Duckie felt worse after the explanation. And worse was to come, when Käthe, feeling tired, added it was time to go to bed.

-I fully agree -Duckie said, to find, again, sleeping with the cat, to the huge changrin of the cat, while the two ladies went to sleep. Or else.

Fuming, he swore that he was to change all that: the papers, the bed question and the light of the refrigerator. Soon Germany would know that he was a real man.

-Fug Germany. I only want Käthe to know... grmpfffff....

Thus, he was quite amazed the next morning, when he found, on the way to the Ministry, in an old book shop, an unknwon version of the "The Taming of the Shrew", by William Canonispeare. Now he had a good reason to daydream...

(1) President of the "Free" USA, I mean, as good old Jack Reed won the Second American Civil War, as it is briefly mentioned in chapter 9 (post 164).
(2) More or less, a situation slightly similar to the one faced by the Labour Government of 1964 - Harold Wilson, PM, who was the only member of Cabinet who had previously been a Cabinet Minister.
(3) :D
(4) Anyway, when has a Civil Servant been keen on giving up any secret that may endager his grip over the government? :D

Chapter 24

(2) More or less, a situation slightly similar to the one faced by the Labour Government of 1964 - Harold Wilson, PM, who was the only member of Cabinet who had previously been a Cabinet Minister.

*twitches* :mad:

So no one knows anything of administrating an government?
Wow, sounds like real democracy works.
People elect fools into the parliament and wonder why nothing changes. I want aristocracy!

People elect fools into the parliament and wonder why nothing changes. I want aristocracy!

The best form of government for me is one with me in charge, and a fool to take the blame if I somehow screws up. :p

Hmmm... that's sounds like the Bush administration, except the fool is not a more than just a fool. ;)

*twitches* :mad:

I knew that you would love the reference :D

No to the question.
Yes to the following statement.
And, to the final one, nothing changes... you'll soon see why.

The best form of government for me is one with me in charge, and a fool to take the blame if I somehow screws up. :p

If you have just only one fool, you are going to run out of scapegoats soon...

That's it, my kids name is going to be von Funck. That is just too cool of a name :D

You see, you add "von" to anything, and you get a great name. Von Funck. Von Shacka. Von Due.

Gosh, that last one was awful....

I knew that you would love the reference :D

He is the one person I hate almost as much as ze Führer. :mad:

It was under his leadership that BAC was made totally useless! TSR2!

Hmm a stock market crash while confusion abounds in the government . Somehow I suspect this will mean some shakeups in both realms XD