• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Tinto Talks #5 - March 27th, 2024

Welcome to the fifth Tinto Talks, where we talk about the design for our upcoming top secret game with the codename ‘Project Caesar.’

i9u3ksuIdrnkGRpoqqS569fPV4MxZiIUi177GzANdKN3-RRijYJv_VqMpBhjUTjsEVTaov9m4AGJ5-aoYxJ__2KR8XA1S5m-2GIUlxyKmAZCLzUNcgt-kHUYOdbcMAb8y5--BUUJRdSYo8jtzdTOfsc

The state is me! Oh, you meant E-state, sorry.. not me ..

Today we will go into detail about one of the core systems in the game, and talk about how estates work.

First of all, there are four estates in Project Caesar, which mostly map 1 to 1 with a social class: Nobility, Clergy, Burghers and the Commoners. There is also the Crown, which represents the state itself.

Each estate gains power based on the amount of population belonging to the estate, which is also modifiable by local attributes of where the population is, where some nobles may have very high power in a certain area, or whether a specific city has entrenched burgher rights there.

TG6PPAx_7XDWjJZ3JTatHNPtlwP2FtURWHBHR8r7CTRmwKGJRCv8p5yIh_3aASZtpA1Qb4OrqmBlmf3HGTWMJ1bQjS88o-fskeoBVbTIfrBMNx-HwPTOg4F9GqPSJhLCgwWLeWBBAyET3HfuPwSxZUQ

This is the estates part of the government view, where you can see their power, current satisfaction, the equilibrium its trending toward, and what privileges it currently has.

Every 1,000 nobles gives +50 estate power to their estate, while 1,000 peasants merely give +0.05 estate power as default. Then these are modified locally in every location, as mentioned above, and then in the entire country by laws, reforms and most notably the privileges that you have given the estates.

The total power of all the 4 estates and the crown then together all add up to 100%, which is the effective power they have.

Depending on your crown power, you either get a scaling penalty or scaling bonus, on aspects like the cost of revoking estate privileges, the cost of changing policies in laws, the efficiency of the cabinet, the expected costs of the court, and other things. If your crown power is weak, you need to have the estates really satisfied, or you will not get much out of any parliament you try to call.

Each of the four estates has a current satisfaction and an equilibrium it will move towards. Some estates, and some countries, will have the estate satisfaction moving quicker to the equilibrium than others. Each estate has 2 factors per type of estate in which their satisfaction impacts the entire country, where satisfaction above 50% gives a scaling bonus, and below, a scaling penalty.

If the satisfaction is below 25%, this estate will not provide any levies. Most importantly, the estate satisfaction also impacts the satisfaction of the pops that belong to that estate, possibly creating rebel factions or even civil wars.
  • Nobility impacts your prestige gain and your counterespionage.
  • Clergy impacts your research speed and your diplomatic reputation.
  • Burghers impact your merchant power and the production efficiency.
  • Commoner impacts your food production and your stability costs.

So what impacts the satisfaction equilibrium of an estate? The privileges they get, the current stability, some reforms may impact them, some laws may, how you tax them, and much more. Some examples include clergy being happier with higher religious unity or burghers liking having more market centers in your country.

# estate privileges
Estate Privileges then? You may feel forced to grant privileges to estates to be able to tax them more, and you may be forced to grant privileges to get their support in parliament. All privileges impact the power of their estate, and many also increase their satisfaction equilibrium. They all have some impact on gameplay fitting the privilege, and often they also impact a societal value of their country.

fmFONeiCiTYVPVVKLr3mV8LxsRBW4VjWQN0JAuGUKG7CBTOSDXah48Os_Iv-jBZwHEatySoLTvPwr0J-XphLB-2xRNp1i5XrNaQyhDgTZ0IRhpXBMU_nJ5G8z5urGGJ9JHPkRXF4kusffvpmCxVgKsw

WiP ui, temporary graphics and no icons etc.

There are many different privileges, and many unique ones depending on where and what type of country you play.

We mentioned taxes before, and while this is not the development diary where we go into details about the economic system, it is important to mention that the estates of a country have wealth that is increased by the amount of money that you have not taken from them in taxes. Rich estates will use their wealth on many things, primarily to invest into things that benefit them, but will often also build things that also benefit the country.

Next week we will talk about a few new concepts that are rather new to this game that have not been present in previous games, as we will talk about proximity, control and maritime presence, all concepts that need to be talked about in detail, before we go into the economy system.

• 286Like
  • 168Love
Reactions:
Please don't forget to also add the Principality of Muzaka, which at the 1337, was ruled by Andrea Muzaka II, one of the most competent Albanian military figures in history (though of course he does not reach anywhere near Skanderbeg). He is known for his resistance against Stephan Dusan's incursions in Albania, for his victory in the battle of the Pelister mountain against the Serbs, for leading the Principality of Muzaka to its territorial and political peak, etc. Muzaka not being added would be an insult to Albanian history, so please add them.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Please don't forget to also add the Principality of Muzaka, which at the 1337, was ruled by Andrea Muzaka II, one of the most competent Albanian military figures in history (though of course he does not reach anywhere near Skanderbeg). He is known for his resistance against Stephan Dusan's incursions in Albania, for his victory in the battle of the Pelister mountain against the Serbs, for leading the Principality of Muzaka to its territorial and political peak, etc. Muzaka not being added would be an insult to Albanian history, so please add them.
I find it weird that Albania is apparently united in this game when Skanderbeg was the one to unite the Albanians in the first place. Maybe this is still subject to change? Nevertheless I think we should push for Albanian historical accuracy and it should be represented in the map by no only the Muzaka principality, but by the other ones as well such as Kastrioti, Arianiti, etc. Or maybe having a united Albania is a design choice because otherwise they would be too weak and subject to being conquered early on. If so, I hope there are mechanics to ensure that small countries and OPMs actually stand a chance like they did in real life. Hoping to see some improvement to Albania. Also, it should 100% be red colour, anything other than that is unacceptable.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I find it weird that Albania is apparently united in this game when Skanderbeg was the one to unite the Albanians in the first place. Maybe this is still subject to change? Nevertheless I think we should push for Albanian historical accuracy and it should be represented in the map by no only the Muzaka principality, but by the other ones as well such as Kastrioti, Arianiti, etc. Or maybe having a united Albania is a design choice because otherwise they would be too weak and subject to being conquered early on. If so, I hope there are mechanics to ensure that small countries and OPMs actually stand a chance like they did in real life. Hoping to see some improvement to Albania. Also, it should 100% be red colour, anything other than that is unacceptable.
The only Albanian principalities as of 1337 were Topia, Muzaka, Matrënga and Gropa.
Personally, I believe it would be very fun for the Albanian lords to, like historically, compete for the title of "Dominus Albaniae", but they should start off allied, like they were historically when Serbia invaded.
As for the color of Albania, they picked yellow to represent Topia, but we should have a red Muzaka south of Topia.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I fully agree with showing principalities. Map has many locations and is very detailed. So I see no reason why all principalites can't be shown. Although I don't mind unifed Albania for gameplay purposes but it feels a bit too game-y and oversimplifed to do, especially considering the map is very detailed so it would be just an odd design choice.

Btw I also think maroon could work as a colour of Albania on the map, but yeah anything else is just weird.

Reactions: