• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Europa Universalis IV - Development Diary 4th of March 2024 - Aztecs, Mayans and Incas

While the European kingdoms are leaving the Medieval period and starting their centralization to the modern states, the New World these soon-to-be colonizers will discover is already home to other empires. The heart of Mexico is settled by the Nahuatl empire of the Aztecs, led by the great Moctezuma I who aims to centralize the Triple Alliance and establish a realm that drives fear to the hearts of its enemies. The Mayans, once controllers of the jungles of Chiapas and Guatemala have retreated to the Yucatan peninsula. Their once great realm is now splintered into a series of city-states, not all too unlike the Italian domains. In the heights of the Andes reigns the many different Inti kingdoms. One of them, Cusco, will be destined to unify the region under the rule of Pachacuti and his descendants, forming the first Incan Empire.

Welcome to our newest Development Diary for the upcoming DLC. Today, we will take a look at the content for Central and South America - namely the Aztecs, the Mayans, and the Incas. As always, all values you see here are NOT final. So without further ado, let us get started.

First, we shall take a look at Mexico and a few setup changes there:
image_1.png

The Mexico Trade Node has received some additional Centers of Trade, as well as a new province modifier added to a few selected provinces that represent the mining of obsidian. This is, however, only limited to those of the Mesoamerican technology group:
image_2.png

Next are some changes to the country of the Aztecs. They now start with the Empire rank instead of the Kingdom rank and their starting ruler, Moctezuma I, also starts with the guaranteed “Legendary Conqueror” personality trait.
image_3.png

However, the Aztecs were never as centralized as EU4 can realistically depict it. Historically, they were more an alliance of the city-states instead, though Moctezuma I was on his way to centralize the state. As such, the Aztecs also start with a new privilege:
image_4.png

Now let us take a closer look at the mission tree:
image_5.png

Note: Mission icons are still placeholders and will be of course replaced with the proper images for the release.

The mission tree is separated into 3 big chunks. The first block at the very top is about dominating the Mexican region, and as such is the main bulk of your New World conquest. The biggest highlight of this part is the opportunity to buff your Moctezuma progressively more as you continue through your missions.
image_6.png

Note: We might add a Monarch Lifespan modifier to these rewards so your Moctezuma can enjoy his newfound powers for a little bit longer. We also might consider changing his starting situation as a general into an event to further increase his survivability.

The second subtree is all about your government and, of course, your blood tribute to the gods. Some highlights from this part are the following:
image_7.png

Now a few of you might have noticed that certain keywords such as “Blood” and “Mesoamerican Tributaries” have been mentioned. These are part of the new government mechanics the Aztecs will now start with:
image_8.png

image_9.png

image_10.png

image_11.png

Note: The art is still work in progress.

The “Demand Sacrifices” peace option always requires a 50% War Score and grants 10 Blood.
image_12.png

Next are the Mesoamerican Tributaries which is a new subject type available to all Mayan and Nahuatl countries. You establish them with a new peace treaty:
image_13.png

image_14.png

They act just like normal tributaries, though you can sacrifice their ruler and you can annex them. On that note, all of your conquest missions in Mesoamerica can be completed via these tributaries or vassals.

Last but not least, the final subtree is all about the economic and military affairs of the Aztecs. I should also probably mention here that there are no Jaguar special units and a tease for them was not intentional whatsoever. With that being said, here are some highlights of these missions:

image_15.png

Note: these missions are more long-term based as you will require some higher advanced technologies to complete them. Also, the Telpochcalli Academy will probably have its Possible Number of Buildings penalty replaced.

Before we move on to the next country, one quick note for all the non-Aztec Nahuatl countries: as there was time for only the Aztec mission tree itself, every Nahuatl country gets a decision to adopt the Aztec mission tree if they conquer the Aztecs and own the Mexico provinces themselves.
image_16.png

Moving on to the Mayans, every Mayan country gets a small mission tree at the start which helps you out for the formation of the Mayan Confederation:
image_17.png

Note: With “Venus” we mean the planet Venus. That was localized before finding the name “Chac Ek” or “Noh Ek” to use instead. Will be fixed before release.

Highlights of these missions are the “The Sign of Venus”, “Campaigning Season” and “Reforming our Society” which have evolving rewards. Every time you unlock a Religious Reform, these three missions get reset (in other words “un-completed”) which allows you to complete them again. Their evolving modifier gets upgraded whenever you complete the missions again.

Another change to the Maya formable is that you now need only 2 Mayan Religious Reforms instead of the full 5. However, forming the Mayas will still be rather painful as whenever you enact a new Religious Reform you get a 5 year penalty to your Manpower Recovery Speed (-10%) and your Harsh Treatment Cost (+100%) which also disables the ability to Increase Autonomy and manually decrease War Exhaustion. You also gain +3 War Exhaustion whenever you undergo a reform.

Once you form the Maya you get the following mission tree:
image_18.png

Note: we are aware of the mission title leaving the GUI here. Will be fixed before the release.

Similar to the Aztec mission tree, the Maya one is about unifying Mesoamerica under your banner, as well as focusing on the economic improvements of your empire.

I will focus now on mentioning some highlights of the mission tree which are the following missions:
image_19.png

image_19_5.png

image_20.png

With that, we finish the Mayans and will now take a closer look at the Incas. The first thing that needs to be mentioned is that the map of the Andes does NOT get any additional provinces or tags. This also means that there are no new wastelands too. There are, however, some small setup changes. Similar to the Aztecs, Pachacuti starts with the “Legendary Conqueror” personality trait but has been reduced to a 4/3/5 (down from 5/4/6). The missions Cusco has received are similarly structured to the ones of the Aztecs as they buff your starting ruler:
image_21.png

Some early highlights in the mission tree are the following:
image_22.png

The decision to colonize the provinces requires you to defeat the local tribes and have 50 Ducats ready. Using the decision will then start a Frontier Colony in said province, and this decision can go far along the Andes as you can see in the following screenshot:
image_23.png

Note: All the green-striped provinces are ones you can colonize via the decision.

Additionally, you also have access to the following estate privilege:
image_24.png

Once you form Inca you gain the following mission tree as a whole:
image_25.png

While you have the original Cusco missions about the conquest, you also get four additional, smaller subtrees that have their own focus.

The first small subtree is about the Mitma - a policy of forced resettlement of the border provinces. The highlight here is the following reward:
image_26.png

Another subtree is about the religious nature of the Inca, highlighted by the following reward:
image_27.png

image_28.png

image_29.png

You might now notice that “Regenesis of History” mentions “Mummified Rulers”. As you can see, the Incan religion has an interesting and unique quirk which is the fact that your dead ruler is de jure still alive. They get mummified and continue to participate in all of your governmental activities. To represent this in EU4 you will now always trigger the following event upon your ruler’s demise:
image_30.png

The third subtree is about gold, idols, and economy represented by the following mission rewards:
image_31.png

Finally, the last subtree focuses on developing your lands and your military, giving you the following rewards:
image_32.png

And with that, we conclude the Incan missions. However, we are not entirely done as all the aforementioned countries get one mission subtree which is all about the so-called Sunset Invasion:
image_33.png

These missions are always at the very bottom and follow one major theme which is the invasion of Europe and Asia by the American powers - both main culprits of colonizing the new world in many EU4 campaigns.

I won’t go too much into detail with those missions as they are mostly focused on large conquest campaigns. However, some rewards are worth mentioning:
image_34.png

Last but not least, Fatherlorris' comic:
DD Americas.png

That was it for this week. Thank you all for reading today’s Development Diary! My colleague @Big Boss will continue next week with a DD on the Netherlands, Venice, and Italy.

• 66Like
  • 28Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Something I'm confused about, was it addressed at all how the new religion mechanics will interact with institutions? Because I think that's the number one obstacle to playing as American Natives. It was done away for the north american tribes and I thought the government reform mechanics that it replaced worked very well. If it hasn't been done already I could not stress more that you should remove the institution limits on the Incan, Mayan, and Aztec religions. It's rather ahistoric, and not really fun for balance anyway. While you're at it, I'd put at least some feudalism in the continents, similar to what's in Africa, given that the Incan, Mayan, and Aztecs were described as being very on par with what european cities were like. The European colonizers will have already gotten the renaissance and probably colonialism embraced by the time the reach america's, so the tech disparity will remain. At least letting some feudalism get embraced gives players a little more to work with when in the America's.

Another request: Can there be alternatives to just conquering the America's for the big three? Like I think it would make sense to maybe try to create a united front against european colonizers. Yes, it's a bit ahistoric, but at least with the Aztec and Mayans, I think you could have options to foster an alliance, or maybe after having conquered the opposing region release them as a vassal so you can take on the europeans together. The Incans as well, but given the geographic distance involved I can understand why that's less of a concern. So if not that, I could see some missions rewarding players for vassalizing some of the south-american tribes, spreading their influence that way. In general I think EUIV doesn't give enough rewards for playing diplomatically, so I think enaging in that a little bit more would help make the region a lot more vibrant.

Aso an idea, though I figure you're probably too busy to get to it. I think the Ages mechanic was underutilized and I don't think you guys ever went back to it. I like the idea of making each century in the game feel more unique and encouraging different playstyles as you go on. I think the issue though is it was eurocentric and one-size fits all. I think this last DLC is a good chance to revisit it. I think the different tech-groups should get different age mechanics. Not each individual one- you could probably for instance combine the Aboriginals, pacific islanders, and the different american tech-groups into one, and have mechanics based around federations, or number of vassals or gold mines that can give those countries a boost in the early game while preparing for colonizers to show up. Then the next era could focus on rewarding them for modernizing, or engaging in global trade or such. Similarly you could focus age objectives for the ottoman and muslim tech groups, asian, and the african tech-groups. Maybe they also share groups at different times to reflect different areas being under different competing influences as well. At the very least, I think you can agree that age objectives like 'be present on two continents' only really benefit colonizing europeans or the Ottomans.

Lastly a couple notes to fix:
-The Northeastern Native American ideas have the starting idea be a bonus to ship combat. Which doesn't make sense when many of them don't have coastlines and those that do only have canoes. Can you move that idea to the end? The natives only have so much time before the colonizers show up anyway, so give them a starting idea that'd actually impact their gameplay in that amount of time.
-Aboriginal Confederations, there's an issue with them that gives their new ideas be the generic north american ideas. Can you just change that so Aboriginal Confederations are instead prompted with the generic Aboriginal ideas? It's more authentic and those ideas are a lot more powerful.

• 6Like
Reactions:
I remember the dev diaries where there was more than just a single Dev response to the entire comments section.

Those were better days for Dev interaction, which has dropped off a cliff sadly.

Reactions:
So - while I like the content in general I think there are big things missing - There really would have been the need of a disaster and more events and a missiontreepart when the colonizers arrive. It does not have to be historic where the country is ruined (as devs explained reasonable why the didn‘t want to do that in the past) but there should be at least a meaningful impact. Different ways to approach the westerners - way more events. I miss a gamerule that forbit cav before the first colonies (there were no horses in america before…) just some events regarding that would make it much more historic. (1. Event - scared from the strange people with big “monsters/animals“ …. 2. Event - some of this strange creatures escaped, what will the future bring for them on our country - 5-10 years later 3. event - “it seems they are tameable… we could use them for „living/farming or war“ - and then cav is an option with the events giving some options how to handle horses (increasing cav abilities or production eff. or movement speed etc.)…. could be copy & past for all american natives so all get something from this. For the first time also an Event for the first colonizers about horses escaping etc.

Same could be small event chains about the religion, diseases , fleets, trade goods or military. And a desaster!

I really miss interactions like this with the nations and historic flavor. The 3 Button agenda as „unique Goverement“ and a mission tree doesn‘t reflectthe hard impact…. Really hope to see some real immersion events to follow…. Otherwise just a standard (even if big) missiontree.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Regarding Venice, I hope they get more options regarding missions concerning an alliance/treaty with the Mamelukes. Perhaps they could co-fund the Suez canal with them, even getting a 50% split of any bonuses? A Venetian (or Italian)/Mameluke or Egyptian) Suez Canal company started 300 years earlier than IRL could have some fun gameplay effects.
I'm thinking of economic/trade bonuses for both, maybe some kind of joint East India Company (that can either thrive or collapse if the two countries can't get on). Lastly an anti-Ottoman treaty where Venice gets claims to Ottoman Eastern Europe and Mamelukes get claims to Anatolia.

Reactions:
So - while I like the content in general I think there are big things missing - There really would have been the need of a disaster and more events and a missiontreepart when the colonizers arrive. It does not have to be historic where the country is ruined (as devs explained reasonable why the didn‘t want to do that in the past) but there should be at least a meaningful impact. Different ways to approach the westerners - way more events. I miss a gamerule that forbit cav before the first colonies (there were no horses in america before…) just some events regarding that would make it much more historic. (1. Event - scared from the strange people with big “monsters/animals“ …. 2. Event - some of this strange creatures escaped, what will the future bring for them on our country - 5-10 years later 3. event - “it seems they are tameable… we could use them for „living/farming or war“ - and then cav is an option with the events giving some options how to handle horses (increasing cav abilities or production eff. or movement speed etc.)…. could be copy & past for all american natives so all get something from this. For the first time also an Event for the first colonizers about horses escaping etc.
An Aztec disaster makes perfect sense given how their empire fell. Most of their subjects sided with the Spanish. This was naturally hard to simulate on the Spanish side, but I could see the Aztecs having a disaster where once colonizers show up, it fucks with their stability (probably mimicking the influx of european diseases) and they have to keep their subjects in line (or be completely federalized) or else they end up in a situation where all their subjects ally/become vassalized by the nearest european nation and declare war on them.

A similar situation could be done for the Incans, though a lot simpler, given that before Pizarro even showed up the Incans had destroyed themselves in a massive civil war created by most of the heirs dying of disease. After a certain point the Incans could get a big stability hit and their heirs die, with a chance for a big civil war that occurs afterwards.

Dear developers, I've heard that in this DLC also will be changes in Europe. Please, pay attention to Ukrainian lands as well and at least correct cultures of provinces in Chernigov area and of Chernigov [CHR] tag from Ryazanian to Ruthenian.

PLEASE, correct cultures in Ruthenia:
#KyivNotKiev and #ChernihivNotChernigov

Chernigov area has in reality Ukrainian/Ruthenian culture in all its provinces: Chernihiv, Novhorod-Siverskyi, Sumy, base names in game: Chernigov(289), Severia(1945), Rylsk (4543) respectively are NOT "Ryazanian".

Chernihiv is old Ruthenian city, it`s like Northern Kyiv for Ukraine.

Respectively Chernihiv tag [CHR] have to be also Ruthenian.

Kyiv, Pereiaslav and Chernihiv is a heartland of Ruthenia/Kyivan Rus.

It will be great to see right names of Ukrainian tags:
Kyiv [KIE], Chernihiv [CHR], Zaporozhia [ZAZ], Halych-Volyn [VOL].

Also during the game period: Brest(277), Pinsk(278) and Turov(1941) in modern Belarus was Ruthenian up to 20 century, while Trubchevsk(4244) and Smolensk(293) in Russia was predominantly Belorusian. So Smolensk [SMO] tag also has be with primary Belorusian culture. This lands were Russifide only in 20 century.

By googling of "Dialektologicheskaia_Karta_1914_goda" you can find old Russian Imperial map which confirm my words.
Ukrainian language is green and Belorusian is blue there.

Untill 1452 - Volynian duchy and untill 1471 - Kyivan duchy existed in Ukraine as vasals of Lithuania. They have to be in game, meanwhile Lithuania should have cores on all their lands like Morroco have in Sus.

Also Zaporozhia (Viisko Zaporozke Nyzove) was not a Hetmanate. It was military republic with Sich Rada government type, wich was rulled by Koshovyi Otaman.

After Bohdan Khmelnystkyi uprising in Central Ukraine was created state Viisko Zaporozke (with Zaporozhian cossacks as core of the army, which was overwhelmly supported by peasants (who became free form landlords, or "cossackised") and some amount of old Ruthenian shlakhta and burgers) with government form of elective monarchy: Hetmanate, wich was ruled by Hetman.

For some time Zaporozhia was included in Hetmanate but than it recieved authonomy or even was independent form Hetmanate.

But Bohdan Khmelnytskyi had tried to create hereditary monarchy by maridge of his son Tymosh with daughter of Duke of Moldavia Vasile Lupu but Tymosh, his wife and Duke Vasile Lupu himself was killed by Moldavian pretenders soon after maridge. It can by one of the way of state development as regular monarchy in the missions.

After the death of Bohdan in Hetmanate was elected new Hetman Ivan Vyhovsky. He in alliance with Crimean tatars won the Konotop battle against almost twice larger Muscovite army.

Soon after in Hetmanate was series of civil wars inspired from Muscovy in most cases and that period was known in Ukrainian history as Ruin as resault Hetmanate was split in two parts by Dnipro rivers which became vassals of Commonwealth and Muscovy respectfuly and Zaporozhia also became Muscovite vassal and then was annexed.

Cherkasy can not have 3 dev like desert... Ruthenian lands was more developed at least in human resourse and have great natural wealth.

For example, Ukrainian cossacks before the battle of Khotyn in 1621 have 50 000 troops in Sich rada from which 37 000 have taken part in battle (were also was 28 000 of Polish army) menwhile others cossacks stay in the Sich or made raid in Ottomans coasts of Black See.

Also in Zaporozhia [ZAZ] there are wrong names of generals: female names or even last name of famous female Ukrainian author....
While Kyiv [KIE] and Volyn [VOL] have Russian names of rulers...

I can help you to make right naming of Ruthenian culture, understand Ukrainian history and sugest new historical Ruthenian tags, new missions and national ideas.

Ruthenia itself has to have unique missions.

Thank you for your work!

P.S. It would be good for hordes make the tribes estate to do raids in neighbor non-horde countries like cossack estate do by events, it's historicaly accurate, at least it was like that in Ukraine.

• 3Haha
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Please fix the freezing issue on macOS in this next patch, it seems to happen around 1450 and is rather annoying...
Probably this:

Probably this:
Likely that, but no matter how many there are, all should be fixed. Should have been fixed months ago.

Reactions:
If you are looking for art inspiration watch the Age of Empires 2 Aztec and ETC mission introductions and outros. I hope the Americans fully feel themselves as opposed to a combination of Flavorlesss and American countries.

Dear developers, I've heard that in this DLC also will be changes in Europe. Please, pay attention to Ukrainian lands as well and at least correct cultures of provinces in Chernigov area and of Chernigov [CHR] tag from Ryazanian to Ruthenian.

PLEASE, correct cultures in Ruthenia:
#KyivNotKiev and #ChernihivNotChernigov

Chernigov area has in reality Ukrainian/Ruthenian culture in all its provinces: Chernihiv, Novhorod-Siverskyi, Sumy, base names in game: Chernigov(289), Severia(1945), Rylsk (4543) respectively are NOT "Ryazanian".

Chernihiv is old Ruthenian city, it`s like Northern Kyiv for Ukraine.

Respectively Chernihiv tag [CHR] have to be also Ruthenian.

Kyiv, Pereiaslav and Chernihiv is a heartland of Ruthenia/Kyivan Rus.

It will be great to see right names of Ukrainian tags:
Kyiv [KIE], Chernihiv [CHR], Zaporozhia [ZAZ], Halych-Volyn [VOL].

Also during the game period: Brest(277), Pinsk(278) and Turov(1941) in modern Belarus was Ruthenian up to 20 century, while Trubchevsk(4244) and Smolensk(293) in Russia was predominantly Belorusian. So Smolensk [SMO] tag also has be with primary Belorusian culture. This lands were Russifide only in 20 century.

By googling of "Dialektologicheskaia_Karta_1914_goda" you can find old Russian Imperial map which confirm my words.
Ukrainian language is green and Belorusian is blue there.

Untill 1452 - Volynian duchy and untill 1471 - Kyivan duchy existed in Ukraine as vasals of Lithuania. They have to be in game, meanwhile Lithuania should have cores on all their lands like Morroco have in Sus.

Also Zaporozhia (Viisko Zaporozke Nyzove) was not a Hetmanate. It was military republic with Sich Rada government type, wich was rulled by Koshovyi Otaman.

After Bohdan Khmelnystkyi uprising in Central Ukraine was created state Viisko Zaporozke (with Zaporozhian cossacks as core of the army, which was overwhelmly supported by peasants (who became free form landlords, or "cossackised") and some amount of old Ruthenian shlakhta and burgers) with government form of elective monarchy: Hetmanate, wich was ruled by Hetman.

For some time Zaporozhia was included in Hetmanate but than it recieved authonomy or even was independent form Hetmanate.

But Bohdan Khmelnytskyi had tried to create hereditary monarchy by maridge of his son Tymosh with daughter of Duke of Moldavia Vasile Lupu but Tymosh, his wife and Duke Vasile Lupu himself was killed by Moldavian pretenders soon after maridge. It can by one of the way of state development as regular monarchy in the missions.

After the death of Bohdan in Hetmanate was elected new Hetman Ivan Vyhovsky. He in alliance with Crimean tatars won the Konotop battle against almost twice larger Muscovite army.

Soon after in Hetmanate was series of civil wars inspired from Muscovy in most cases and that period was known in Ukrainian history as Ruin as resault Hetmanate was split in two parts by Dnipro rivers which became vassals of Commonwealth and Muscovy respectfuly and Zaporozhia also became Muscovite vassal and then was annexed.

Cherkasy can not have 3 dev like desert... Ruthenian lands was more developed at least in human resourse and have great natural wealth.

For example, Ukrainian cossacks before the battle of Khotyn in 1621 have 50 000 troops in Sich rada from which 37 000 have taken part in battle (were also was 28 000 of Polish army) menwhile others cossacks stay in the Sich or made raid in Ottomans coasts of Black See.

Also in Zaporozhia [ZAZ] there are wrong names of generals: female names or even last name of famous female Ukrainian author....
While Kyiv [KIE] and Volyn [VOL] have Russian names of rulers...

I can help you to make right naming of Ruthenian culture, understand Ukrainian history and sugest new historical Ruthenian tags, new missions and national ideas.

Ruthenia itself has to have unique missions.

Thank you for your work!

P.S. It would be good for hordes make the tribes estate to do raids in neighbor non-horde countries like cossack estate do by events, it's historicaly accurate, at least it was like that in Ukraine.

There is a suggestions forum. This has nothing to do with the post.

• 1Like
Reactions:
An Aztec disaster makes perfect sense given how their empire fell. Most of their subjects sided with the Spanish. This was naturally hard to simulate on the Spanish side, but I could see the Aztecs having a disaster where once colonizers show up, it fucks with their stability (probably mimicking the influx of european diseases) and they have to keep their subjects in line (or be completely federalized) or else they end up in a situation where all their subjects ally/become vassalized by the nearest european nation and declare war on them.

A similar situation could be done for the Incans, though a lot simpler, given that before Pizarro even showed up the Incans had destroyed themselves in a massive civil war created by most of the heirs dying of disease. After a certain point the Incans could get a big stability hit and their heirs die, with a chance for a big civil war that occurs afterwards.
I do want to point out that there already is an incan civil war event, where your leader and heir die, you choose one of two guys to support, and the other side spawns 6 stacks of special (do not die upon first defeat, must be stackwiped) rebels around your capital.

This happens during the 1520s in many games, much later than the european civil war has shown up.

There is also the event "capture and ransom of the sapa inca" where if you lose your capital to a European, they get to either kill your leader or ransom him for a year's worth of your total income. either way, you get a -6 stab and rebels, plus lost mana.

So, I think either of those events are good for what you have proposed for Inca.

No DD today?

Ok but is there any shot you can give the colonial nations actual ideas? I feel like south America especially is just sad when you have the cool button to press and your ideas are either the same or just worse than the ones you already had.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I remember back when the Australia DD came out, the dev noted that it started as a personal side project that was conveniently expanded because they already had a focus on SEA, so it made "sense" to also touch up Australia and New Zealand because they were in the "area".
I think that they got inspired by big "Oceania Expanded" mod. It was a popular mod before Leviathan DLC, ~2019-2020.

Meka.jpg

Reactions:
Definitely excited for this DLC. However, I saw nothing about the religious reform mechanics for Aztecs. The Aztecs can be a fun game, needing to go through 25 vassalizations to reform the religion is a fun and unique challenge, but as an experienced player I can get all the reforms done decades before the Europeans arrive in a meaningful way. Sitting around and waiting for Europeans to show up is about as boring as gameplay can get, especially with the huge dev cost mallice and gold income mallice preventing me from scaling how i would like to.

I would love if there was something in the mission tree for when you've completed all your religious tiers but haven't been able to click the "reform" button which allows you to somehow bridge the gap w Europe. Maybe the mission let's you discover provinces in the Caribbean, or maybe it lets you choose between waiting for Europeans to arrive to reform, but getting a bonus when you finally do, or take a temporary penalty and reforming immediately. Or maybe it gives you some reward for being ready to reform early, like until Europeans have colonized X number of new world provinces or until year X you get the primitive penalties removed as a reward for being ready to reform early.

Basically, rushing religious reform is super fun until you need to wait decades to click the final button. Then it sucks. Would love to see that addressed in this DLC.