• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 10th of January 2017

Hello everyone and welcome to the first development diary for Europa Universalis IV in the year of 2017!

Since the last development diary, we have tweaked the amount of splendor you get, so that you get less splendor, and there is now a bigger choice of which abilities you want in the era.

Today we’ll delve into the Age of Reformation, which lasts from 1530 until 1620.

Rules
Religious Rules are valid. (Previously before 1650)
Counts Feud, French Wars of Religion & Religious Turmoil, can only happen in this Age.

Objectives
  1. Embrace protestantism or reformed as your state religion.
  2. Humanism or Religious Ideagroup full.
  3. Convert ten provinces of a different religion..
  4. Gain at least 5 colonial nations.
  5. Own all provinces of your culturegroup.
  6. Gain trade-bonus in spice or chinaware or silk
  7. Forceconvert another nation.

Abilities
  • +50% Institution Spread from True Faith
  • 30% cheaper culture conversion
  • Gain 0.3 Prestige from each development converted to your religion
  • 50% cheaper enforcing religion through war.
  • Placed Merchants grants +20 Trade Power instead of +2.
  • Allow Edict “Religion Enforced” : Religious Centers have 50% less chance of picking provinces in that state.
  • 20% of ship power propagate.
  • Spain - 30% less shock_damage_received.
  • Mughals - 50% cheaper artillery
  • Poland: +1 legitimacy
  • Persia: 30% Less reinforce cost.
eu4_2.png

Next week we will delve into the Age of Absolutism, and the new Absolutism mechanic which will be part of the free 1.20 patch...

Reactions:
If they get enough Splendor to buy it, and they will have it for some decades then..

Will the AI actively pursue the objectives? Cause it be cool to see the french bite their nails when attacking spain for a change. How much longer would An overall battle be between a spanish tercio and a french unit with élan? I'm hoping for long enough battles that give spain a chance to drain french morale :D

Reactions:
What are your thoughts on making this a bonus from taking maritime, or a maritime+naval policy?

Local candidates are supported with prestige, now, not legitimacy.

I totally forgot about that. So there's really no point to it at all then... seeing as Johan already said he isn't happy with it, I'm fairly certain that this will most likely be tweaked before release.

How does this make any sense if you're not christian and/or european ?

I'm very worried about this.

Also cultural unification, the last goal in the list, makes me uneasy as it's a process that never quite happened, even in europe, in this timeframe.
Spain for instance has never really been culturally unified in the time frame (and still not completely today) same with germany, france (which achieved it in the XIXth century), United Kingdom etc.

Spain owned all 'iberian'-culturegroup provinces between 1580 and 1640 in History.

Objectives are not supposed to be achieved by every major in a campaign.

Reactions:
  1. Embrace protestantism or reformed as your state religion.
If one convert to protestant/reformed and convert back to catholic, will they still get the splendor points?

no, only while prot or reform

Reactions:
Will the AI actively pursue the objectives? Cause it be cool to see the french bite their nails when attacking spain for a change. How much longer would An overall battle be between a spanish tercio and a french unit with élan? I'm hoping for long enough battles that give spain a chance to drain french morale :D

Spain will pick that ability 1st if possible.

Reactions:
Currently tradepower from provinces downstream propagate upstream..

ie, Venice has about +11 tradepower in Alexandria, due to having lots of provincial tradepower in Venice.

With this ability tradepower from ships work the same way, where 20% of the trade power from ships is added upstream, where if Venice had it in 1444, they'd get even more power in Alexandria, from having ships in Venice.
Aaaah, the existing mechanic, then. Your comment in the DD was vague enough that I thought there might be something new. :p. Thanks for the clarification!

Aaaah, the existing mechanic, then. Your comment in the DD was vague enough that I thought there might be something new. :p. Thanks for the clarification!

Even with 20% of ships, it has a real danger of being very very powerful.

Reactions:
  1. Convert ten provinces of a different religion.
different religion or different sects?
I assume you mean religions or religion-groups as they are used in EU4.
i.e. the Christian denominations are considered different religions to each other even though they are in the same group.
Note, however, that changing deities/cults is not the same.

Reactions:

Im not sure about the numbers but I figure that -30 percent shock damage equals something like 7.5 discipline. First its only 15% because its only recieved, and then 7.5% because its only in the shock face. Now in this part of the game its still mostly about shock, so maybe it equals something like 10% discipline? Sounds like something that would make them competetive with the french imo.

Reactions:
Spain owned all 'iberian'-culturegroup provinces between 1580 and 1640 in History.

Objectives are not supposed to be achieved by every major in a campaign.
In game-terms, Portugal was more of a PU minor than actually having been integrated. Will subject-provinces count for this? I assume that even if they don't, colonial nations still will, since otherwise this would be pretty much impossible for colonisers.

Reactions:
Maybe something like a boost to papal influence? Or cheaper DotF? I'm no historian so I can't offer any real alternatives. Makes sense to avoid military buff though (as much as I'd love it, I love a balanced game more). I have faith that if a more pleasing option presents itself you'll take it

Yah it might be good if poland could offset the Ottomans for a while longer.

Papal poland going crusasing again or at least defending christendom for a while longer. Just enough to keep the red menace from becoming unstoppable :D

Reactions:
  • Spain - 30% less shock_damage_received.
  • Mughals - 50% cheaper artillery
  • Poland: +1 legitimacy
  • Persia: 30% Less reinforce cost.
this looks like national ideas with limited functioning time. Why do we get unique powerful abilities for these countries only? Isn't it railroading which we wanted to get rid of before?

Will there be unique abilities for each country which just aren't announced yet?

Will ages be a paid feature?

Reactions:
Reactions:
Im not sure about the numbers but I figure that -30 percent shock damage equals something like 7.5 discipline. First its only 15% because its only recieved, and then 7.5% because its only in the shock face. Now in this part of the game its still mostly about shock, so maybe it equals something like 10% discipline? Sounds like something that would make them competetive with the french imo.

Awesome i can imagine both sides getting stuck in the pyrrenees like what make sense than it would be all About the attrition instead :D.

Reactions:
  • Allow Edict “Religion Enforced” : Religious Centers have 50% less chance of picking provinces in that state
Does this mean where getting something like decisions for states?

Ages themselves aren't, splendour and its accompanying mechanics are.
in this case this is one more attempt to sell us yet another incomplete piece of mechanic, implemented over another mechanic without looking back.

We already have National Ideas, why don't to integrate these unique bonuses with NIs?
We already have events, decisions, missions, triggered modifiers as systems which allow country to get temporal/permanent bonuses. why don't to integrate splendor mechanic there?

Please, stop making over the top content...

Reactions: