• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Dev Diary #147 - Some Words from Our Game Director

Greetings! This Dev Diary will be a mixed bag of various things - there’s a lot going on, and therefore a lot to talk about. I want to take this opportunity to address feedback, talk design philosophy, shine some light on how we’re working, set some expectations for Roads to Power, tease some things coming in the future, and show off the 1.12.5 changelog for a free update happening on May 8th. In other words, this will be a big and a little bit all-over-the-place diary, but bear with me.

To start off, let's talk about Community Feedback!

There’s a lot of feedback coming in for the features of Legends of the Dead, and we’re doing our best to collect it. We try to find as much feedback as we can from as many different sources (forums, Reddit, videos, reviews, etc, etc.) as we can - even if you feel like we’re not there, I promise that we read everything - or we try to - and have it in the back of our minds. That said, let's start off with Plagues.

Plagues​

Plagues is the feature that has been the easiest to collect and action feedback for - even if various types of feedback are sometimes conflated and need to be untangled for us to know what we should change. Your sentiment is somewhat split between plagues either being too easy or too hard, but uniformly they are perceived as annoying by the sheer amount of events they can summon (especially in larger realms).

For Plagues, we’re looking into having balance changes go out together with an update on the 8th of May. The full changelog can be found at the end of this post.

The vast majority of the ‘event spam’ was due to one seemingly-innocent bug in the Alms event; it didn’t have a cooldown set. This means that regardless of our intentions, it’d always be valid to fire, which is of course not as intended. In fact, a lot of the events were set up to simulate negative consequences of unchecked plagues - but as many of you have rightfully pointed out, the general negative modifiers to development and other things are more than enough to represent this. That said, increasing the cooldowns significantly for most of the events that either have easy-to-happen triggers or major negative effects should go a long way in making this feel better.

The second part of making sure the events you get are relevant for you was to make it so they only happen if they’re near an area you care about: if you’re the emperor of a world-spanning empire, you don’t care about the goings-on of a distant backwater, or even if you’re just the King of France you don’t necessarily care what’s going on in the very southernmost parts of Aquitaine - after all, the risk of the plague reaching your lands from there isn’t that great. It seemed that the most common feedback here was to limit the events by distance, so that’s exactly what we did - they can now only happen if the plague is in your domain or within a certain distance from your capital (roughly one Ireland, it’s less than you might think).

Alongside this, we’ve reduced the overall frequency of plague events and shifted the ratio between minor/major/apocalyptic plagues away from minor and towards major/apocalyptic in an effort to make the content you receive more impactful - this should mean that you get fewer plagues overall, but the ones that happen are more significant. We’ve also removed the block on achievements when you lower the frequency, and added an additional option where you can choose to disable plagues (minus the black death) entirely should you wish.

Another recurring point of feedback is difficulty, or rather the lack of challenge - it is felt like the AI is much worse at handling plagues than the player, and this I agree with. While the AI will never be as responsive as the player when it comes to isolating or secluding, they should all treat it as a threat to be countered - choosing to defend themselves shouldn’t be dependent on minor quirks of personality; only truly major ones.

Currently, larger Counties (with more Baronies) are better at defending against plagues - and that was never our intention, as this is literally the opposite of what happened historically - therefore we’ve shifted the plague resistance granted by buildings from County-wide to Barony-wide. This should encourage an alternative playstyle of having fewer-barony Counties in your domain in order to protect development. This is also much more of a challenge for players than it will be for the AI, evening the playing field a bit.

The full changelog for the 1.12.5 update can be found at the very end of this Dev Diary.

Legends​

Legends are a completely different beast altogether, and are much harder to collect feedback for - opinions on what to do or change differ wildly at this point in time. Of course we’re aware of the general sentiment surrounding the feature, which is why we’re still looking at as much feedback as we can. The update we deployed close to the release targeted some of the widely agreed-upon points of feedback, such as adding a Legend Library where you can see completed legends forever, and more reactive variations in chapter texts to things your character does (such as winning battles, having children, etc.), among other things. For this update, we’ve mainly improved the Legends mapmode as we found it uninspiring and not pleasant to look at due to its limited color palette (and similar colors tended to blend together).

image_01.png

[Image - New legend colors]

The feedback we’re collecting now is hard to act upon. As I mentioned, opinions vary greatly - from thinking that they are underpowered and useless, too overpowered and way too good, or that they should be something else altogether. Some of you are bringing up the example of CK2 Bloodlines (which is interesting to me, seeing as I designed them back in the day.) The Bloodlines of CK2 were designed to be more of a ‘fantasy’ feature, where great, lasting reputations were built by people *actually doing* the great and/or implausible deeds the reputations spoke of - this would then be literally transferred in their blood to either a patrilineal or matrilineal lineage (with some convoluted breeding necessary to ‘stack’ multiple lines on the same character). On the contrary, Legends in CK3 were designed to mimic what medieval rulers actually did; embellish otherwise mundane stories into epics of great renown - all in order to bolster their legitimacy in the eyes of their subjects or the renown of their dynasty. Which of the two approaches is the best can be debated, and I think there’s merit to both. We wanted to go for the more true-to-history one for CK3 - if nothing else - because it’s something we hadn’t done before.

Truth be told though, I think the problem with Legends lies less in the feature itself and more in how we communicated them in Dev Diaries and similar - we weren’t clear enough what they were going to be. This is something we can act upon. Going forward, any Dev Diary we’re making on a feature will aim to be less open for interpretation. As with diaries of old, we’ll try to describe features in as much detail as possible. We don’t want any misconceptions about what the features are or how they work. You can expect the diaries for Roads to Power to be detail-filled behemoths when they start.

Bettering the Game​

Next up, I’d like to share some details on how we work to make the game better over time. No matter if we’re working on an expansion, free update, or other type of release, we always try to improve the game by doing various initiatives and looking at feedback.

How We Work​

There are different ways we’re doing this, such as through the dedicated Balance Days we have every three weeks - for which we keep a big sheet of ‘game balance areas’ that we review and add to.

Currently, these days are focused on improving some of the older content we’ve released, as well as doing balance passes on resources such as Prestige and game components such as Cultural Traditions. The main philosophy we’re following when reviewing old content is to balance it for fun. If a piece of content isn’t already engaging, flavorful, interesting, or fulfilling a specific purpose, then it needs to at least be made entertaining or useful. Right now, we’re working on updating Court Events from Royal Court - a set of events that are regarded to be fairly poor and inconsequential by many of you, and we do agree with that assessment in hindsight. We’re ripping out and replacing much of the content within that pool, hopefully for the better. As for Prestige, we’ve also taken a look at what causes the AI to go into Prestige debt and thus be unable to declare war - all in order to make it more challenging and not feel as inert. Many Cultural Traditions presented very small or narrow trade-offs that players would rarely choose, so we decided to change our philosophy to work with larger buffs and more significant/interesting tradeoffs. Updating older content or doing large balance passes is always on our radar, and will often arrive together with larger updates - all of what I mentioned here, Court Events, AI Prestige debt, and Cultural Tradition balance, will arrive alongside Roads to Power.

image_02.png

[Image - One of the revised court events]

We also work with Community Reports - our community team scours the various platforms where you have discussions, looking for trends and issues, and then they compile reports. These reports are very useful and show us if an issue or topic keeps being brought up. A lot of the changes we’re making to the plagues were measured using these reports.

In addition to this, we also have Fix Weeks (every three weeks, we focus exclusively on fixing bugs), Improvement Days (where we look at a backlog of improvements we’ve gathered, including your wishes!), and more. Much of our time is spent on making the game better, and we’re constantly evaluating how we’re working to see how we can best improve the game as much as we can.

Event Frequency​

A common topic that I see discussed in many places is the frequency of events, that they can feel ‘spammy’ - not necessarily because there’s always too many of them at once (although that certainly happens every now and then), but because you often see the same events often. The more insignificant or punishing a (random) event is, the less often you want to see it happen. Having a flavorful situation appear now-and-then is fine, but being blocked by a challenger on the road or hearing a duck quack several times per character feels off.

Now, the method we have when creating ‘pools’ of content is to have a generous amount of events that have easy-to-happen triggers and can happen in many situations. This we do in order to make sure you’re always valid to see something. While making an event that triggers for a niche situation feels really good, the likelihood of it being seen at all drastically decreases the more complex the situation is, making it less and less valuable to spend time making - to the point where it might be half a percent or less of the playerbase who sees them. This means that we aim for way more ‘general’ events as a rule of thumb, a ratio between general and niche (which varies depending on the pool we’re filling). Of course, a consequence of this is that you’re going to see the events with easy-to-happen triggers way more often - sometimes with every character you play, and sometimes multiple times per character (depending on the event cooldown).

Reading your feedback I’m inclined to make some changes to our philosophy, and I’d appreciate further feedback on this before we make any decisions.

What we are looking at is a combination of more significant cooldowns and a new system to restrict certain events for some characters you play could have the following effects:
  • Pro: You would see the same events way less often
  • Pro: You would have more varied ‘general’ event content between characters
  • Pro: ‘Rare’ events would become somewhat more visible, due to fewer ‘general’ events being valid
  • Con: Some event pools might give you less event content over time (which might be a Pro for some of you)

I’d like to go into a bit more detail on how this would work. Generally, we use 5 or 10 years as the most common cooldown for events; they are the default go-to values. For events with easy-to-happen triggers, what we could do is simply increase this cooldown - this would make it so that there’s a significantly lower chance of seeing the same event multiple times with the same character. This wouldn’t hinder each of your successive rulers from seeing the events at least once though, which would limit its impact as a stand-alone measure. If we introduced a system where we could randomly make events valid or invalid for your character, say that an event would be valid for 50% of characters, then we’d be able to ensure that not all characters see the same events. For some we could have lower values, for others higher - it could be a judgment call based on what the event is, and its purpose.
Of course, these two measures would only be interesting to enable for certain types of events, and wouldn’t work to introduce for all events (for example, you need all lifestyle events to be valid so that you have ways of gaining XP). That said, I believe that this could help drastically reduce the issue of excessively frequent events. Let me know what you think.

Message Settings​

Another type of spam that is often (rightfully) brought up is that of messages, notifications (the bottom-right ones) and toasts (the top center ones that fade after a few seconds) have been accumulating for some time, and sometimes reach critical mass when playing - especially if you’re further into a session. The solution to this has been clear for a while, and we’ve finally found the time to realize it. With the update releasing together with Roads to Power you will have access to Message Settings. This means that you can disable or change any feed or toast message stemming from a ‘systemic’ source (in other words, anything that isn’t the result of an event outcome such as a skill duel, etc.) This should allow you to tailor what you see and are notified with based on personal preference.

image_03.png

[Image - CK3 message settings, modified by me to fit my playstyle]

As a bonus, this also allows you to automatically pause the game if something specific happens, and you can even set messages to be delivered in the form of a pop-up should you really want to not miss something! For example - I know that a lot of you who used to play CK2 set hostile sieges to pause the game so you wouldn’t miss them, now you can do the same in CK3.

image_04.png

[Image - Popup and pause on enemy sieges]

The Philosophy of Free​

When developing expansions you have to make many calls of what should be paid and what should be free. Back in the day (I’ve worked at Paradox for 10 years now, time truly flies), we were not very good at determining what could be paid and what should be free. This had several unfortunate side effects; players who didn’t have certain expansions would be alienated, us developers would have to spend extra time supporting multiple parallel systems within the same game (including all manner of permutations between different expansion combinations…), and it sometimes made it harder to further develop popular systems. As a company we develop games that can live for a very, very long time - this implies a lot of work keeping the game healthy by updating features, fixing issues, doing balance work, and other things that aren’t just about making new expansions.

Over the years, we’ve started to make more and more base systems free at their core, which is something that came from listening to you in the community. The reason why we’re doing this is because we want your experience to be better - for the game to be healthy, for systems to be more accessible to modders, and so that we can update areas of the game that we feel would simply make the experience better. This alleviates the unfortunate side effects I mentioned above.

Speaking of modders; we love them, and we love the fact that so many people want to mod our game. This is why we spend extra time making new systems as flexible as possible, and why we take some of our time to do things that are pure support for mods (one of the latest examples here.) We appreciate the work they do and their creativity, but we don't want to rely on them to make the game for us - we only rely on them to share their passions about the game! It's important that the game is feature complete and enjoyable without mods.

Now, we don’t aim for a fixed ratio between free or paid - we aim to make the game better in as many different ways as we can. We don’t want to lock systems away if they’d make more sense being free. Sometimes this means that we’ll be making more free features than paid ones in an update, and sometimes more paid ones than free - it depends on what the update is about. It is important to note that we have limited time; the time to make free and paid features come out of the same pool. By choosing to make more paid features we’d be making fewer free ones, and that could ultimately hurt the game.

Which is why I want to reinforce that I don’t want to change how we work. I believe that it’s important for the game and community that certain things are free, to avoid divides and splits, and keep the game in good shape. We, like you, are fans of the game, and we want to make it as good as it can be - paid features exist in order to fund continued development, they are not goals in and of themselves. It’s together with you in the community that we decided to have this philosophy, and I strongly believe in it.

That said, while Roads to Power is going to have plenty of free systems (more than this Dev Diary will cover), it will definitely lean more towards having paid features than Legends of the Dead did.

A Challenging Game​

The difficulty of the game is a topic that is often brought up. The truth is that CK3 is not a particularly hard game when you’ve mastered it - and that’s something we’ve always been fine with, seeing as, unlike other GSGs, we’re focusing more on stories and dynamically evolving narratives. That said, if the game is too easy, or systems are too trivial to overcome, then that impacts the quality of the stories. Therefore I’d like to explain my philosophy regarding what difficulty in CK3 should be.

I am not a fan of traditional ‘Hard’ difficulties, where all AI’s are simply given extra resources and bonuses the player cannot get - or alternatively the player is hit with a series of nerfs and inefficiencies that feel artificial and forced. I like when difficulty is immersive and opt-in. It shouldn’t get in the way of you telling your stories (up to a certain degree…) by the AI only doing objectively good things, such as stacking wars, spamming murder schemes, etc - it should help you create stories of triumph, or stories of overcoming hardship. The AI is there to immerse you in the game, and to provide an enjoyable challenge. Unlike the player, the AI cannot ‘game over’, and should therefore focus on immersion over pure survival (although it should obviously not feel suicidal - that’s not immersive!).

As we want the AI to play in an immersive way where they don’t always take optimal decisions, we try to be wary of changing the overarching difficulty - making the game harder overall will always hit the AI harder than the player, as the player can more easily adapt. There are systems that are easier to change than others to introduce more challenges to the player without inadvertently making the game harder for the AI. For example, the AI will almost always marry for Alliances or Prestige - never for Genetics. This means that if we were to make it more of a challenge to reinforce good genetic traits (which is on our radar, but perhaps not for Roads to Power) it would barely harm the AI at all. Of course this isn’t true for most systems, which is why we need to always be careful. When we change things, we try to think of what implications it’ll have for the AI so that we don’t inadvertently make the game less challenging. Many things that relate to adding more challenges are present on the balance sheet I mentioned earlier in this diary (the ‘How We Work’ section).

Now, difficulty comes in different flavors; one of these flavors is to optimize your resources to overcome challenges. This is when you use your gold, prestige, lands, vassals, etc. to outcompete your rivals and neighbors - very common in all GSGs.
  • The lack of mid-to-late game AI challengers makes this difficulty peter out quickly after you’ve formed a decently-sized realm.
Another flavor of difficulty is to overcome specific challenges where the rules you play by are different and not controlled by you. This is when you guide a blind 4-year-old through a viper's nest of rivals in order to reach adulthood and subsequently thrive - this is a more uniquely CK3 thing.
  • The fact that you have a lot of control over education, inheritance, and that you’re restricted to a direct line of inheritance makes it so you’re challenged less often.
Both of these are connected to player fantasies that are very common to have when playing CK3 - and both are difficulties we want to improve.

We work continually with general difficulty balance in our systems, but sometimes we decide to do things that are a lot larger in scope, such as these:

Conquerors​

While I don’t enjoy having all AI’s cheat, I enjoy when certain characters stand out from the rest. When certain rulers, either because of historical reasons, or in-game suitability, are granted special bonuses and a new way of interacting with the world. The middle ages are full of these conquerors who forged large empires (which often later fell) like the Ghaznavids, Ayyubids, etc. I wanted something like this for CK - dynamic challengers, controlled in detail by game rules, who can rival players in efficiency while being immersive and appropriately flavorful.

image_05.png

[Image - Game Rules for Conquerors]

Conquerors switch over to a hyper-aggressive version of the AI, which is much faster to declare wars, can declare multiple wars at once, and invests all of their resources into warfare, MaA, and means in which to declare more and better wars (such as hunt activities if they’re low on prestige and you’ve disabled their special bonuses via game rules, or taxation tours if they’re low on gold, etc.). They switch to the objectively best lifestyle focuses, use schemes in a very realpolitik way, etc.

image_06.png

[Image - Conqueror economical Archetype]

By default, they get the ‘Conqueror’ trait which provides a host of powerful boons, making them have an easier time fielding a large army and keeping their realms stable. If you prefer to not give the AI any handicap, you can turn this off in the game rules. I avoided certain types of bonuses, such as making their troops fight better, or them having an artificially high advantage in combat, because such bonuses can feel unfair - instead opting for areas in which the player often has an advantage (economy, realm stability, etc.).

image_07.png

[Image - Conqueror trait bonuses]

Of course, if you fancy a truly unfair challenge you can set the game rule to ‘extreme’, where they’ll get an additional ‘scourge of god’ modifier. This is masochistic and not really recommended!

image_08.png

[Image - Scourge of God bonuses]

With default game rules, rulers around the world have a very, very small chance to become Conquerors. The likelihood goes up the more suitable they are based on traits, government, available CB’s, etc. A global pacing mechanic makes sure that there aren’t too many of these characters worldwide, and that they mostly appear in areas where you’d expect large upheavals in the regional power structure (but there are never any guarantees - they could appear anywhere!). You can also control via game rules if you only want already-powerful rulers to have the chance.

Everything good has to come to an end - if they are defeated repeatedly in wars, lose all of their prestige, or similar, they will stop being conquerors and lose all bonuses. On succession, being a conqueror is inherited by default - but if an AI is Cautious (in other words; a craven coward) they will also stop being a conqueror. This creates a dynamic ebb and flow of challenge.

image_09.png

[Image - Two conquerors, the Ghaznavids and the Somavamsi, splitting India between them]

This feature will help the mid-to-late game feel less stale when you’ve forged a grand realm, and will be coming in the update alongside Roads To Power.

Choose a New Destiny​

Those of you who followed what we did for the Black Forge Jam know about this feature; when you die, you now have the opportunity to switch to one of three carefully-selected dynasty members. These picks are chosen based on an ‘interest score’, where various subjective things are chosen to make a character more or less interesting. Feel free to suggest things that you consider interesting, such as various combinations of traits and/or skills. Having rare traits or being in peculiar situations (such as being the only one in your dynasty of a certain faith) will score a character higher, while being awfully rich will weigh them down (as that isn’t as much fun as just trivializing the challenge.)

image_10.png

[Image - Updated death screen with the new Choose a New Destiny button]

The point of this feature is to give you opportunities to take on challenges - perhaps you have an awfully interesting one-eyed albino uncle who’s a count of a foreign faith within a distant realm? Now you will have the opportunity to change the course of your game and experience these much rarer situations. Situations that don’t exist when you start the game within the bookmarks. When you feel accomplished and ‘finished’ with what you’re currently doing, you can treat it as a ‘New Game+’ within the same session.

image_11.png

[Image - example characters in a Choose a New Destiny]

Currently there’s no inherent bonus associated with making this switch - and I’m in two minds if there should be any. I’ve been considering adding a small renown boon for choosing to switch, perhaps based on their difficulty. I welcome feedback on this point.

On the Road to Power​

As I’ve seen a lot of discussions about how Adventurers will play, I thought I would give a brief overview of how we’re designing them. This will not be exhaustive (that will come in later Dev Diaries), but I think it’s interesting to share how we see the experience.

Playing as an average Adventurer will be a zero-to-hero experience, a completely separate experience from how you play a landed character, where you work your way up in the world. You will travel a lot, and accumulate resources to improve your standing. It won’t be easy to gain land depending on the goals you set for yourself - gaining a small plot of land will naturally not be as difficult as doing something epic like invading a kingdom (except if you’re an Adventurer with the special Legitimists purpose, in which case it’s intended that you can amass a big army and lots of support quickly! This will be rare though). It will also definitely be possible to play as a multi-generational adventurer, should you want.

Before ending this Dev Diary, I’d like to leave you with some screenshots of upcoming features of Roads to Power and its accompanying update. Firstly, we’ve already hinted at this, but the free update coming alongside the expansion will introduce a new 1178 start date, alongside two bookmarks - one focusing on the Byzantine Empire and its surroundings, the Call of the Empire. 1178 provides a more built-up starting situation than the 867 or 1066 starts do, and also gives you access to a whole host of new historical characters and dynasties to play, such as Saladin of Egypt or the Plantagenets in England - not to mention that the centerpiece realm of Roads to Power, Byzantium, is in a challenging situation with the Sultanate of Rum on its doorstep.

image_12.png

[Image - Call of the Empire bookmark in 1178]

Secondly, I’d like to show off a screenshot of the ‘Estate’ feature that Noble families inside of Byzantium (or other administrative empires) will have access to. As you can see, the estate has a location on the map from where it can be accessed (in this case Athens) and a whole host of building upgrade options - ranging from the mansion itself, external buildings (the Watchtower, Storehouse, and Hay Barracks in the picture), and internal upgrades (like the Granaries shown to the right), there’s even branching upgrades where you have to choose what you want the most. The Estate is managed by the House Head, and there’s one per family.

image_13.png

[Image - An estate in 1178, map location visible, with an ‘external building slot’ upgrade tree shown]

As I mentioned earlier in this diary, we’re committing to having more detailed Dev Diaries for Roads to Power. While there are some more teaser-like sections in this Dev Diary, that will not be the norm going forward - there should be no room for misinterpreting what we’re making, or how it will work!

1.12.5 Update Changelog​

Finally, here’s the changelog for the 1.12.5 update - mainly focusing on plague and activity balance, alongside some other fixes and improvements.

Game Content​

• Added a few historically-inspired events for Matilda di Canossa, Robert the Fox, Yahya Dhunnunid, and Vratislav of Bohemia. Events include themes such as Matilda's marriage to Geoffrey the Hunchback, Vratislav's rivalry with his brother, and Robert's usage of Raiktor the Byzantine pretender-monk.
  • Added a new, shorter, version of the Tutorial. The old longer tutorial is still available.

Bugfixes​

• Added missing cooldown to physician_epidemic_events.1040 (Alms), set it to 20 years
  • During the first 15 years after an epidemic has left a province, further outbreak chances now properly follow the harsher, 50-year epidemic specific, cooldown instead of lesser, 15 year epidemic type agnostic one.
  • An empty Legitimacy Gain toast will no longer appear when winning wars against targets you shouldn't get legitimacy for defeating
  • Fixed travel completion event so it fires normally, this will allow Traveler Trait XP to be gained again

Balance​

• Plague events now only happen if they are present in your Domain, or within a certain distance of your Capital (roughly the length of one Ireland). This should drastically reduce the amount of insignificant plague events in large realms.
  • Lowered the general occurrence of plague events by roughly ~30-50%
  • The AI is now significantly more likely to enter seclusion when a plague appears in their domain, or in a county bordering their capital (unless brave or deeply irrational)
  • The AI will now exit seclusion within 6 months of every plague having left their domain (though they will still not leave before 1 year has passed since they secluded)
  • The Secluded modifier penalties have been changed, instead of reducing all stats, it reduces diplomacy, prestige gain, opinion with courtly/glory hound vassals, and increases legitimacy loss
  • The Isolate Capital decision now comes with a small legitimacy loss
  • The AI is now significantly more willing to isolate their capital, unless brave, greedy, or deeply irrational
  • The AI will now unisolate their capital within 6 months of every plague having left their domain
  • Reduced frequency of Minor plagues by roughly 20%
  • Increased frequency of Major and Apocalyptic plagues by roughly 5%
  • Added a new option the the Plague Frequency Game Rule: Disabled, which removes the spawn chance for all plagues (except the Black Death)
  • The lower Plague Frequency Game Rule options no longer disable Achievements
  • When a disease becomes endemic in a province, it will no longer fully override the recent epidemics cooldown for outbreaks
  • Lowered the chance of epidemic outbreaks in provinces that have recently recovered from the specific epidemic on the 'often' and very often' game rule frequency
  • The AI will now refrain from hosting hunts, feasts, and pilgrimages for the first three years of any new game (to give them more time to purchase buildings, maa, etc)
  • Cut the amount of hunts hosted worldwide by roughly 2/3rds, as it was vastly more common than any other type of activity by far
  • Activity guests will now refuse to come if there's an epidemic in your domain or their capital county, rather than if one exists anywhere in your realm
  • The AI will now generally avoid hosting activities if there's a plague in their domain, rather than their sub-realm
  • Reduced the Prestige rewards from Majesty Tours, both from the demand (medium -> minor demand) and the general prestige rewards (200/600/800/1000/1200 -> 100/300/500/700/1000)
  • Reduced gold gained from taxation tours by reducing the gold gained from the various Activity Pulse Actions (Local Tax instituted, Rich Local Taxed, etc)
  • Increased Intimidation Tour rewards, added dread on successful demands, and increased faction block from 5 -> 10 and 15 -> 20 years
  • Pilgrimage Piety reward values have been lowered, but the Piousness mult has been increased to 10%/25%/75%/150%, this means that it'll be much harder to gain a lot of piety from pilgrimages unless you take a lot of pious options
  • Pilgrimage events have had their piety rewards lowered by one step (medium piety -> minor piety, etc)
  • Pilgrimage Event Pulse Action piety rewards have been significantly lowered (they now give 10-25 piety)
  • Hospices, Monasteries, and Watchtowers now provide Plague Resistance to the Barony instead of the County, this makes it harder to stack Plague Resistance to the point of immunity
  • Boosted the tax gained from Pastures from poor to normal
  • The 'Pressed my Claim' modifier is now 100 opinion (up from 50) and lasts for 50 years (up from 20)
  • Reduced the frequency of the 'Pharmaceutical book' event (physician_epidemic_events.1030)
  • Increased the cooldown of epidemic_events.2001 (The Plague of War) to 30 years (from 10)
  • Increased the cooldown of epidemic_events.1030 (Leeches!) to 15 years (from 5)
  • Increased the cooldown of epidemic_events.1040 (Flagellants at Court) to 15 years (from 5)
  • Increased the cooldown of epidemic_events.1040 (Doomsday) to 6 years (from 2)

Interface​

• Each Legend now gets a unique map color to make sure different legends do not blend into each other

Localization​

• Shortened the text of the 'A Shadow Over X'-event to focus more on what's important

• 189Like
  • 166Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
I mean, cool, lots of new things, but still doesn't deliver my only ask from previous posts...I should be able to choose to continue specifically as any one of my default children as an option. Adding the ability to play as another "sort of random"/"interesting" character is also a cool add on, but still not what I'd like other than as an additional bonus option.

The whole point is to have kids, and set them up in distant lands as their own independent kingdoms. I'd still like to send my second son on a crusade or something and watch him become the new ruler surrounded by hostiles then continue playing as him leaving my old kingdom behind in a search for new begginings.

I'd suggest adding in a second button, such as "continue as another child" and then provide the list of children or something to choose from, and a third button to continue as a random dynasty or interesting character. Idk.

When you feel accomplished and ‘finished’ with what you’re currently doing, you can treat it as a ‘New Game+’ within the same session.

Exactly what I'm looking for but would like to create my own story, not be held hostage to the whims of the "interesting character" modifiers I'd have to rig to get second son or third daughter to "make the list".

Also I hope with roads to power, choosing a character (son/daughter) that isn't landed (or won't be upon succession) or a baron will become an option if we want to increase our difficulty or write our own stories.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I'm going to be lazy and just react as I read things

I definitely agree that people say both plagues are too easy and too difficult though i struggle to find why that's a relevant sentiment when the rules make the plague experience modular?

All of the changes look awesome, glad to see cutting down the event spam was a priority and that big counties are no longer plague proof.

Legends are complicated for sure but it's nice to see the map improved at the very least. I believe that the wide array of opinions on Legends kind of prove that they're working? I agree that they're generally OP but by having specific use cases their rewards can be useless, I think that's fine similar to how the Polders tradition would be useless in the desert.

I never played CK2 so I can't comment on the Bloodlines vs Legends conversation but it does seem clear to me that they're different things and people being disappointed in legends because of that is a clear lack of understanding. At no point during the lead up to Legends being released did I think that they would be permanent buffs like Dynasty Perks.

As for how Legends can be improved I think that there are a plethora of things.
  1. More legend types. I think Legends should encompass only one thing and in exchange they can be a cheaper and easier to get? If breaking up the Legends doesn't seem like a good idea just coming up with more should also be good.
  2. More Legend names. Please just have someone sit down and come up with a giant list of generic names that legends can have and try to make it so that we rarely see repeated names like "The Most Pious Life of ____" or "Defender of the Holy Site." Defender of the Holy Site is a perfect example where it would be really cool if Instead of Holy Site it actually had the name of the Holy Site in question.
  3. Please let us choose where the Special Buildings are placed. Why is it random at all? I feel like it's very fair to think that this should work similarly to founding a holy order? I'm no video game maker so I don't know but please change this if you can.
  4. Heroic Adventures should be solo ventures. It's very odd to me that you drag your court and immediate family with you even if they were landed vassals. Similarly a ruler from your dynasty should be left behind to rule your land rather than a random nobody that's going to implode the realm within 10 years. That's just weird.
  5. Maybe the legends library gives a very minor (0.01) renown bonus that increases with every completed legend? 0.01 renown for a famed legends, 0/03 for an Illustrious legend, and 0.05 for a mythical legend? Just a random thought honestly
  6. The DLC was called Legends of the Dead, why didn't the death screen get nice facelift?
I'm sure there's more but I'm just thinking off the top of my head and I haven't played in a few weeks.

It's amazing and reassuring to know you guys actively work on improving older content, I enjoy royal court but it 100% very quickly became a click the best decision game. I know all of the events by heart and they essentially mean nothing. It will be like a breath of fresh air to have new events.

And another thing that has to change, the commission epic family chronicle artifact need sot be better. I get that it's a trade off of immediate benefits versus benefits as part of the artifact but hat doesn't excuse an expensive "illustrious" artifact only giving a pittance of monthly prestige and a plus 8 opinion modifier with your dynasty.

While I'm ranting about artifacts change the demand artifact interaction. Some weighting needs to be done that makes it so Ai will more likely demand high rarity and unique artifact and rarely demand low rarity artifacts. And the opinion negative needs to change too, -60 because some random cousin wanted our great grandfather's pheasant's feather which gives 0.02 monthly prestige and -2% stress gain??? That's ridiculous. It should be -10/-20/-30/-40 based on rarity with maybe and extra -10 if it's unique.

I'm up for anything to make the Ai a better opponent and fixing the prestige debt issue will surely help.

I'm cautious about the traditions update, I hope we don't swing the other way and a lot of traditions end up OP. That being said a lot do need work.

One in particular though: Why on earth is Defensive Tactics (the unique Jewish tradition) a reskin of Stand and Fight which buffs Heavy Cavalry, Heavy Infantry, and Spearmen while giving a unique unit that is a Light Infantry? How did this happen? it increases friendly fatal casualties for goodness sake, that doesn't seem defensive at all. Especially when the obvious choice would have been to reskin Stalwart Defenders??? Maybe I'm going too hard but this has annoyed me since the DLC/Tradition update was added to the game.

Generally speaking i would want to see traditions allow the player to do things they could not without the tradition rather than just buff stuff. Really push players into doing unique things. And it would be nice if more traditions disallowed the use of other traditions even through hybridization.

Cool to know Community Reports and Fix Days exist, I am always confident in the future of this video game.

I generally agree with the reduction of event spam but I think it's fair to see some things often like the challenger on the road. I think I can vibe with seeing less events overall. Of course another solution is to add a lot more events of different rarity, more is more after all and I think regardless of the change I play the game way too much to be dramatically affected by the change. By my third or fifth campaign after the change I will probably be back to mindlessly picking the best options in events because I've seen them all 100 times. This is definitely a change that will require trial and error because I can't tell you anything without experiencing it.

But that's what event packs are for so please make them and take my money.

Message setting is great, nice to see something I've used as mods to varying degrees of success in the game proper. Hopefully it's chonky.

I applaud the Philosophy of Free and if I were a rich man I would give you guys millions every day.

While I can understand and agree with the sentiment of CK3 not being difficult and there being a focus on stories and dynamically evolving narratives that is an aspect of the game that players have to choose to engage with. Organic Difficulty vs. Artificial Difficulty is a, would you believe it, difficult thing. If the player is not being incentivized to make the game more difficult via roleplay then I don't think that the opt-in organic difficulty works.

An example would be raising a child, the opt-in difficulty there is choosing the stress free options on personality and events which essentially takes away control from the player so an heir might be craven, paranoid, and lustful. A messy combination where if you choose the stress free options during events when playing as that character you might mess up your realm. That only works if you're a small nation. The second you're an empire with decent income the pitfalls of such a messy character become minor speedbumps that are solved via activities or your nation's massive army.

All that to say I don't think Artificial difficulty should be completely off the table. There is an easy and very easy option in the settings, why not add hard and very hard going the other way? It doesn't have to be extreme like Civilization's Deity difficulty but Ai embarkation cost already exists in the settings and that's blatantly cheating, what's a few more buffs? These are still opt-in because you would have to change them in the settings just like harm events.

I'm also 100% behind nerfing the eugenics game and making adjustments that will affect players more than Ai.

I stand by the idea that, and maybe this is radical but, a child player should not be able to make 90% of decisions until adulthood and even then there should be a meaningful struggle with the regent. For example the player might call hold court but it is the regents making the decisions or the player can't declare war but the regent might and you're stuck fighting a war you might not want to. This can affect pretty much every aspect of the game when you're a child.

Hell yeah Conquerors are sick! No more Conqueror mod needed either also this is far superior with the whole claimants thing being added! And it has sliders! The Scourge of the Gods might stop a late game army, but the question is just like in Historic Invasions and the Conqueror mod will the Conquerors replenish their special units? Otherwise a strong player only has to grind through their special units to win the war and +25 advantage will not win you a victory when you're fighting an army 50x bigger. It's also cool to see that they can just be smacked down into oblivion and become irrelevant.

I forgot to post about the Black Forge Jam but I'm very excited to see the Inherichance thing added into the game. This and the Intrigue/Warfare thing was probably what I was most excited for. Being able to pick an unlanded character to play as when I die after becoming too OP to care anymore is everything I want.

The interest Score thing is cool but i would have to experience it a few times before II can say whether or not it's actually picking interesting characters. But it does sound like you're going in the right direction by emphasizing unique traits, claims from outside your realm, and differing faiths and regions. Maybe gender can also contribute like playing as a Norse Shield Maiden and vice versa?

If anything switching characters should only give you a boost if you become landed as an unlanded character. As if to say "no one expected anything of little TImmy but now look at him he's the Duke of Swabia." Even then it should be something modest like 100 renown.

YES! I WNAT TO PLAY AS A MULTI GENERATIONAL ADVENTURERING FAMILY SO BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!! Though it has to be interesting, it can't just be bouncing around courts and fighting random wars, I want to be able to join mercenary companies and holy orders as well.

Very excited for a new start date though I hope that means we'll get more one day down the line with other DLCs? Also, with a late start date we will very quickly get to and complete the technology of the High Medieval era. Is a Renaissance Era a possibility down the line in 1350? follows the 150 year gaps the eras have. I can't way to play Saladin of Egypt or a young Genghis Khan???????

Estates look cool, it's nice to see there will be branching paths and even decisions gained from high level buildings. That being said I stand by the sentiment that this cannot be yet another money sink that makes the game even easier. I really like the art, evokes what I imagine when I think of Medieval art with those goofy little guys.

Given that Estates are controlled by Houses and not Dynasties I really hope this doesn't contribute to late game lag/bloat because houses always go insane without mods to limit how easily they can be made. AN 867 start can easily see 100+ houses by 1300.

As for the changelog itself:

• historical events are always cool
  • Bug fixes look good to, have you guys fixed the phantom notification in the royal court that leads to nothing? I think it might have to do with an artifact getting generated but given away kind of like on hunts but it's way more annoying to check the royal court than it is to check the player's inventory.
  • Also that weird visual glitch where a column of boxes appear int he middle of events when the game is slowing down
  • I like all of the balance changes except maybe the prestige decrease from tours, tours are already super expensive so it seems weird to nerf them any more.
It looks good. I'm very excited for Roads to Power.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
That would make the game much easier, kind of the opposite of what they just said they wanted to do…
no,in this version,even egalitarian inheritance,player also can give richer land to second son,but i don’t want to give title before i die。But in this version,unless you give title before die,game will distribute property in its way。

Last edited:
As far as balance changes are concerned, have you considered potentially nerfing "Sway" so you can't stack it multiple times on the same character?

• 3Like
Reactions:
As far as balance changes are concerned, have you considered potentially nerfing "Sway" so you can't stack it multiple times on the same character?
I see sway as you attempting to build rapport with a person. Having multiple stacks fits in with that. What could make sense is if a character had a low opinion of you sway would have a low success rate but as rapport is built each attempt has a higher chance.

Or sway can be like romance and have a series of events as you attempt to sway them and you build rapport through the events which can also give opinion or reduce opinion until the sway is either successful giving a sway status opinion bonus or it fails stopping you from attempting for a certain timeframe.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I see sway as you attempting to build rapport with a person. Having multiple stacks fits in with that. What could make sense is if a character had a low opinion of you sway would have a low success rate but as rapport is built each attempt has a higher chance.

Or sway can be like romance and have a series of events as you attempt to sway them and you build rapport through the events which can also give opinion or reduce opinion until the sway is either successful giving a sway status opinion bonus or it fails stopping you from attempting for a certain timeframe.
You see, I always viewed Sway as trying to temporarily win over someone who generally doesn't like you for a specific purpose.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Really love the sound of this.

Conquerors sounds like a fantastic way to inject a little more challenge later in the game (or to reward the player the power fantasy of just being able to stomp all over everyone).

And being able to choose a new dynasty member to play as sounds great too, particularly if you can do it in Ironman mode (which is my preference to play as I like that it makes my decisions final).

Reducing the message spam and the frequency of plagues is very positive too.

Are there any plans to introduce more ways to gain renown or increase the renown gain? I know the dynasty legacies are pretty strong but there are so many now it feels very hard to get more than one or two maxed if you aren't playing a Karling or other huge and powerful family. And since there are some (*cough* Blood *cough*) that are much more beneficial to go for it feels like you don't get a chance to engage with some of the new stuff.

Anyway, keep up the good work, looking forward to this new DLC/update.

Reactions:
Wesaþ hāle!

Having to spend money (i.e. effort) to spread those legends is fine, it's the earning of seeds from ahistorically awesome deeds that feels missing. Let the humble characters settle for embellishing wishful tales dug up from ancient history to fake being great, the supreme characters should naturally be worthy of legend.
We plan to continue adding Seeds in our next expansions and some of them have already been added to Roads to Power, even.
Our aim going forward is to support the systems that we have already put in place and continue bettering them, tweaking them and expanding upon them as we go. This is already the case for some features introduced in our earlier DLCs that shall be revisited in our upcoming major expansion (although they're not the main focus, as you will understand).
Oh and while you're clarifying the in-game feature description for Legend Seeds, please also describe the conditions when they are lost. My first campaign with LotD "saved up" a number of seeds to be spread by my heir, only for them to vanish. Including the seed for ending the Iranian Intermezzo and another for forming a new religion. On a lower priority, I'd also like to know in advance which sections of the legend text will be replaced when I get an event offering to "add a detail" while spreading a legend.
The big thing I'd like to have happen with Legends is that Legend seeds shouldn't immediately be lost upon death. If the point is about bringing up the deeds of an ancestor to legitimize your rule, then it should not be something that you can't even use for your ancestors.
These are good suggestions. Legends can be continued by a family member when the original owner dies, so it makes sense to pass down your Legend Seeds as well. This is a relatively easy fix and will be added to our improvement list.
Same with clarifying which section of the legend will be modified by an event.
The legends was properly communicated to me as a something that people *believed* rather than actually physical like bloodlines, and rulers would lean into those. I just don't think legend bonuses should disappear after you completed them because it is still in the popular consciousness of the people.
The issue we find with giving out permanent bonii is that we already suffer the consequences of our own actions in the form of modifier bloat. Legends already stay present in the areas that they were spread into for some years after their completion, and the barony and county modifiers stay active, representing the local people still talking about the legend. If we allow these (and the Owner/Promoter modifiers) to stay present forever, the list of modifiers that a county has could be so long that it would not even fit in the UI.
We added the Legend Library as a way to revisit those old legends that either involve you or that you found so amusing you decided to save them for later, so they're not completely lost.
The primary issue currently is that the increases aren't keeping pace with the number of legitimacy hits from plagues and events. Having a queen who unifies her country, has never lost a battle, and wins numerous wars was resulting in a net decrease in legitimacy because one of our provinces would get hit by plague, or we'd have a negative event.
This is valuable and clear feedback, thank you for offering your insight on this.
You are correct in that Legitimacy was intentionally designed to be harder to earn than to lose, but we may have overdone it when it comes to Plague loss specifically. One of the fixes that comes to mind is to remove (or extremely reduce) the Legitimacy loss caused by Minor Plagues, and increase the gain given by certain Activities (Hold Court, Tours and Legendary Hunts immediately come to mind, but not only those, as we don't want people who do not own the DLCs to be unfairly treated by the system).
Legends:
honestly to me is quite unbearable that legends don't have a permanent aspect: if this ruler claimed to be the heir of another wouldn't all his heirs claim the same?
Completing (whatever that means) means that nobody in my dynasty will ever claim the legacy of X just because it's complete? I don't think so.
IMO it would be cool if i could "revive" (maybe for free?) one complete legend and gain some minor bonus from it that would last until i select another (perhaps the number could increase with cultural traditions like "storytellers" and dynastic tradition).
this way legends would have a lasting impact and allow for a more dynamic gameplay

if this is too much please at the least add a small permanent modifier so that i get some reward
As explained above, modifier bloat is one of the main issues we are having with the balancing of the game, and we are working hard looking into ways to address it for our upcoming expansions, as we believe that the "health" of the game is invaluable.
What you suggest about adding a small permanent modifier could be done, though, as more of a symbolic reward than the stronger modifiers that you get during the legend spread. I think this would be a nice suggestion that would make you go "neat, this is from when I created a new religion". Adding to the backlog and will discuss with the team.
Glad to have Plantagenents back! They ARE an important family in the Middle Ages, and definitely shouldn't be forgotten.
Long live Henry II (even though he is, very much, not alive).
Is there any internal discussions on improving the health system and/or revamping the harm events? In my opinion, rulers generally live too long and an adjustment to the natural life spans of characters to be more realistic would go a long way to providing a more challenging experience. And the harm system, seems to be introduced to remedy this issue, but it feels too artificial to have a dice roll set to a specific timer as one of the limited means to have your character meet an early end.
The design philosophy the team follows at the moment leans heavily into maintaining the health of the game, as mentioned above. This of course implies revising and bettering old content. Sometimes we go and change the history files when we find something in game that looks off, sometimes we change a line in an event here and there because we don't like how it sounds, sometimes we change the modifiers or resources given out in other events because we find the balancing off. This is just to explain a bit how we work internally.
There are no current plans to revamp the health system in the short term, but we always try to keep an eye out for opportunities to tweak old content, and it is definitely in our bucket list for the future.
I have just one request.

Can you please add a game rule that automatically makes every single AI ruler in the game a conquerer?
1714636262726.png

1. More legend types. I think Legends should encompass only one thing and in exchange they can be a cheaper and easier to get? If breaking up the Legends doesn't seem like a good idea just coming up with more should also be good.
  2. More Legend names. Please just have someone sit down and come up with a giant list of generic names that legends can have and try to make it so that we rarely see repeated names like "The Most Pious Life of ____" or "Defender of the Holy Site." Defender of the Holy Site is a perfect example where it would be really cool if Instead of Holy Site it actually had the name of the Holy Site in question.
  3. Please let us choose where the Special Buildings are placed. Why is it random at all? I feel like it's very fair to think that this should work similarly to founding a holy order? I'm no video game maker so I don't know but please change this if you can.
  4. Heroic Adventures should be solo ventures. It's very odd to me that you drag your court and immediate family with you even if they were landed vassals. Similarly a ruler from your dynasty should be left behind to rule your land rather than a random nobody that's going to implode the realm within 10 years. That's just weird.
  5. Maybe the legends library gives a very minor (0.01) renown bonus that increases with every completed legend? 0.01 renown for a famed legends, 0/03 for an Illustrious legend, and 0.05 for a mythical legend? Just a random thought honestly
  6. The DLC was called Legends of the Dead, why didn't the death screen get nice facelift?
1. Absolutely correct. The team had different suggestions for additional Legend Types like a "Tyrant" type of legend that would impose dread upon your enemies and vassals, a sort of "Vlad the Impaler" template. However, that would have implied additional special content and the team must focus on the higher priority tasks first. Nonetheless, this is something that we still have in mind, and that would be a perfect fit for whenever we revise the Dread or Tyranny systems.
2. We already added some more titles for 1.12.4, but we cannot possibly grab the name of the Holy Site itself, as the code doesn't know which Holy Site you're referring to because it's the same Seed for all Holy Sites (and since Holy Sites can change throughout the game, we cannot make a seed for every single case). We have changed it though so now it says the Faith in the title, as that's something that always exists.
3. The Legendary Buildings try to get set in your Legend location first, if there's any. We can definitely look into letting you choose where to place them in the future, though.
4. This probably won't happen, sadly. This would imply maintaining two parallel systems that are slightly different and the risk of edge cases is simply too big.
5. Not as much of a random thought as you may think! This is definitely something worth looking into, and we may run some tests to see if it results in Renown creep first.
6. As we have said in this DD, the Choose Your Destiny feature was already being workshopped and a facelift to the death screen was very much planned for it, so it was just a matter of timing. You can see it in the screenshot in the original post.
I'm probably too late to get noticed, but does the team intend to fix some of the weirdness in history files at some point ?
I've got a few examples/suggestions, i.e. El Cid has another member of his family (uncle I think?) in a different, separate de Vivar dynasty (not house).
History weirdness is often getting revised, as we may stumble upon it while addressing other tasks and realise that some things need tweaking.
This is the case with Roads to Power, and el Cid being one of our more important and recognisable adventurers we have paid special attention to his family and court to get rid of as much weirdness as possible.
Something that needs to change with murder schemes. If the scheme is discovered, trying to send gifts to the target as part of the scheme should probably be disabled. I am not sure even the most trusting person would be willing to accept a gift except from a friend when a murder scheme is uncovered.
Scheming seems specially relevant for Administrative realms, and will accordingly receive some attention.

As a small closing remark:
We are also looking into a game rule to turn off non historical legends, so you wouldn't get dynamic seeds, only those existing at game start.

Fare thee well! I hope this was a bit helpful :)

Last edited:
  • 10Like
  • 7Love
Reactions:
I think you're missing on an opportunity here.

Yes, legends suck.

Yes, the AI sucks.

So you're trying to improve them (it's not a communication issue, they really do suck) and you're trying to give the AI this conqueror bonus to see if it does something, anything later on.

Why don't you combine both?

Once an AI completes a military focused legend it can become a conqueror, because of that legend, and start acting like it, gaining widespread support from his own nobles, massive bonus from taxes, levies, MAA, etc..?

Also, the issues with the AI go much deeper than simply adding bonuses, none of it will even matter if the AI still doesn't understand the rules of the game it's playing, there is absolutely nothing immersive about an AI that intetionally makes bad choices, ever, a ruler of an entire kingdom shouldn't be making obvious bad choices, when they do, it was for good reason and they were just wrong, not understanding how to build every county to include proper military buildings+blacksmiths+windmills for your MAA and economy isn't immersive, it's stupid.

I'm afraid it won't matter if the AI gets more money and produces more MAA if they are all using baseline stats, using mismatched armies, don't undertand how knights work, don't understand cultural bonuses, don't understand accolades, etc...

The AI, and all of it's "great" conquerors are still going to get stackwiped by one stack of half-assed MAA from players.

• 4Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I think this update can and should be an opportunity to significantly expand the events surrounding the court doctor. In the DD it was written that the sovereign of France may not be interested in a minor plague in the most remote village of Aquitaine, but what if he WAS interested? If there is a plague in my kingdom, my duchy or my empire, I, as ruler, should always have the opportunity to investigate and learn from that plague.
And here the court doctor comes into play: there should be events, and there already are, let it be clear, that allow me to decide whether or not to send my doctor to investigate, with the necessary consequences and risks, so that I can actively fight or counteract the plagues that affect my domain.

Not only that, but an ally who has been struck by a plague could request my help, both in economic and medical terms, perhaps I could send my doctor to him or, in case of need, I could ask for the help of a doctor external, perhaps that of my ally. My vassals should also be able to ask me, their lord and master, for help in managing infections in their territories. The same sould be possible for me and my allies. Plagues help people in helping together. Isolation is a possibility, but also asking for help should be added, and allies are the best choice in my opinion.

Also, it would also be useful to consider that, in the Middle Ages, medicine was the almost exclusive competence of abbeys and monasteries, there should be more "positive" events regarding the knowledge of monks, mystics and clerics in general in dealing with epidemics. My medic is one thing, but the scholars of he House of Wisdom surely are something else, and I should be able to ask for their help, as well as for the professors of any other university around the globe.

All this, of course, would fuel other post-plague events: did my doctor go to help an ally's realm? Optimal! The king will owe me a favor. Did I help a vassal?Even betetr! He'll owe me something too. Then obviously, many possibilities can be created with the traits of a character: Am I inclined to forgiveness? I tell him I don't need anything. Am I greedy? I demand more money than he would offer me.

Obviously, even the repopulation of the tormented areas should always be considered, and in the worst cases one could even go as far as losing buildings or reducing their level to simulate the effect of the catastrophe; I have a level 3 city that has been decimated by a plague? Let's reduce it to level 1. The Black Death, of course, should be able to destroy entire baronies following this logic. For me, it would be really cool if the economic effects of epidemics spilled over into the game, giving a tangible sign of their appearance.

And then events, events and events. The more events, the better. A sovereign should be overwhelmed by the possibilities to act, but having little time and few people, he should be able to choose where to go and what to do and have his courtiers do.

I also take this opportunity to ask that the various positions at court have more interaction with the sovereign, such as the court doctor in the case of epidemics, the seneschal in general, or anyone else. They too must have tasks to do. The royal architect, if competent, might be able to prevent the destruction of a building, the seneschal should be able to redirect development from counties less affected by epidemics to those affected to compensate for the excessive loss of development of the latter compared to the first, the court scholar could know that monk from that remote abbey at the other end of the Empire who could save us from the epidemic. Then it turns out that both the schoolboy and the monk are two incompetent scammers, but these are details ;)

In short, an excellent update, but the improvements must be not just corrections, but real tangible signs of success. And, for me, events and interaction are the way forward.

As for the legends, I'm sorry to say, but to me they are wrong in their conception. They should be removed and totally rethought, because in this way they are of very little use, they are boring and totally lack charisma. Perhaps they could lead to the acquisition of an artifact, such as finding the real Excalibur? That would be really impressive. But, unfortunately, they are not that exciting, the entire mechanics should be revised.

But it's a really good sign to see such honesty and sincerity from the developers, right now I'm just worried about EUIV, but the future of CK3 seems to be in really good hands! Sincere congratulations!

• 4Like
Reactions:
We plan to continue adding Seeds in our next expansions and some of them have already been added to Roads to Power, even.
Our aim going forward is to support the systems that we have already put in place and continue bettering them, tweaking them and expanding upon them as we go. This is already the case for some features introduced in our earlier DLCs that shall be revisited in our upcoming major expansion (although they're not the main focus, as you will understand).
I just hope that you will pay attention to the regency system and make it more dangerous and dynamic. So far, the AI in the post of regent has not kept up and has not taken particularly strong actions to build up its power.
+
I’ll also add an idea here - if there are conqueror characters, then can we make a type of conqueror characters (super-intriguing characters?) acting and spreading their power within a strong state? And they use all means - hooks to become and impose their role as an adviser, regent, blackmail to get lands. And at some point they had already collected enough power to become overlord in these lands.

----

3. The Legendary Buildings try to get set in your Legend location first, if there's any. We can definitely look into letting you choose where to place them in the future, though.
+1 to this idea. DLC's quality of life will improve slightly

• 1Like
Reactions:
It might have already been replied to, but that's literally what is going on with the event shown in the example.
That's not a random vassal, it's your chancellor, a.k.a. the person in charge of handling your relations with your vassals, and it's not a "random rumor", the trigger is literally "the player has set their food court amenity to a very high level". :)

THE WHOLE PROBLEM WITH YOUR EVENTS

The example in this developer diary perfectly illustrates what's wrong with your events.

In your example, a random vassal pops up due to a random rumor. He asks you to choose between random buffs.

• Firstly, the trigger should never be random or simple meantime to happen. The trigger should be some character's actions -- either the player's or an AI character.
    • For example, if the player has set their food court amenity to a very high level, a background "Love the Food Here" event should scope to courtiers meeting certain criteria.
    • Only then, based on a percentage likelihood determined by a mix of traits and dread, should one of the scoped characters approach the ruler with the Buff event.

• 15Like
Reactions:
Like many said before me, I do not mind paying for a DLC where the majority of the items are FREE

We will take a example Legends of the Death.
I do not mind legitimacy and other stuff including legends being base mechanics, but here is the BIG BUT.

I do mind when you release Legends in such a poor state, that makes paying audience feel neglected.
That is the huge difference, yes patches could solve it and has solve it, but the DLC model is based on paying customers, and incentive to other players to buy it.
While I applaud that as much free as possible, make sure the PAID content is up to the level of acceptance first.

The best example is Tours and Tournament. where the paid content, the EVENTS and the on MAP places cities tournament areas etc are done in such a way that nobody can complain that the paid content is 2nd rate.
While keeping everything else still modable, Accolade system even with it's flaw has lot of potential.

So please keep that kind of quality going forward, instead of Legends of the Death with a subpar not finished/under performing legend system.

For the rest no complaints about the explanation including AI issues, where the target market is for the Developers.
While addressing the consumers grievances.
So kudo to that with this DEV post.

Estate background and Buildings need a better representation or graphics overhaul, it looks too oil paint simple.
It simply doesn't look fitting with the rest of the CK3 UI and graphics.
Mechanic wise it looks solid. graphic wise I rate it a 4/10.

• 1Like
Reactions:
It might have already been replied to, but that's literally what is going on with the event shown in the example.
That's not a random vassal, it's your chancellor, a.k.a. the person in charge of handling your relations with your vassals, and it's not a "random rumor", the trigger is literally "the player has set their food court amenity to a very high level". :)
That's wonderful to hear @Areysak, thank you. The more that model can be replicated across old and new events, the better!

Reactions:
Also v much support occasional/rare/obscure/situational events over the current speed of repetition. So many events were enjoyable the first few times but are now ones that I click through unthinkingly and have become essentially the equivalent of background static in the CK3 experience.

On the other hand, a rare event that emerges in response to a unique situation can really stick in the memory, and become part of a character's story in a meaningful way. In CK2 once my fairly unimpressive Anglo-Saxon king had the ambition to improve his fighting skills, and in response to this a 'mysterious stranger from the east' appeared in my court, and had me doing all sorts of strange things like balancing in boats and catching flies with chopsticks, all whilst calling me 'Ceolwulf-san'. Yes, the pop culture reference might not be to everyone's taste (though it was to mine), but I think that event stuck with me because it was unique to the story of that particular character, whilst if everyone in my dynasty has to rescue 10+ different knights trapped in their armour over the course of a single lifetime it becomes rather mundane and forgettable.

• 2Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
This was a great DD!

One of my biggest questions about the estate system is how many estates can be located in a single county? If House XYZ has an Estate in Athens, can House ABC also have an estate there?

I'm also wondering what happens if you lose the house head position while managing your estate? Is it a game over?

• 2Like
Reactions:
can you improve base AI too in addition to conqueror bonuses? Conquerors will be more of a map painters instead of challenge for a player, changing how basic ai works instead of making special few

• 1Like
Reactions: