• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hey folks, it is dev diary day and time to talk a bit about rebels and adventurers! Let's start off with the rebels; as you know, the old rebels are a nuisance but they are easily defeated and even if they hold a county for a long time, defection is rare. Sure, they sometimes kill a local ruler, but even that is uncommon. This is a shame, especially since we have explored better ways of handling rebels in the In Nomine expansion to Europa Universalis III and in Victoria II. So, for The Old Gods, we are replacing the old simplistic system with proper rebels with a cause (if you don't have the expansion, you will be stuck with the old system.) There are three new types of rebels: peasants, heretics and "liberators". As before, they can appear if the revolt risk is higher than 0 in a county. If the county is of a heretic religion, heretic rebels may appear. If the county is in a kingdom occupied by foreigners, liberators may rise up. If the other two types are not suitable, it's going to be a peasant revolt.

CKII_ToG_DD_06_Peasant_Revolt.jpg

The new types of rebels all have a leader with a temporary title. They start at war with the ruler of the realm in which they appear, but they are hostile to everyone. Fighting them is like fighting a normal war; you get war score for crushing their army. If peasant or heretic rebels win, the county will be taken and becomes independent under their leader. Liberators are more dangerous; they tend to rise up with the best and largest forces, and they are after the entire de jure kingdom. However, they typically tend to settle for a few counties and the title to the kingdom itself. The system is fully moddable and it is pretty straightforward to add new rebel types.

CKII_ToG_DD_06_Claimant_Adventure.jpg

This brings us to adventurers. The concept is quite similar to the rebels, but adventures are started by existing characters and can target distant lands. There are two main types; claimants with no titles who stand to inherit nothing, and men of major dynasties with no claims but high martial and diplomatic skill. In both cases, the adventurer lets it be known that he is starting an adventure and gathering a host (both his current liege(s) and the target ruler are notified). After a year or two, he is given a temporary duchy title, an army, and a fleet. War is declared, and he goes after the target. Claimants, of course, will try to press their claim, but the other type simply target a juicy duchy somewhere and go off to seize it (like the d'Hautevilles took southern Italy). A savvy player who is targetted may of course assassinate the adventurer before he arrives with his army... Characters of certain cultures are more likely to go off on claimless adventures, e.g. Normans and Norse.

CKII_ToG_DD_06_Conquest_Adventure.jpg

Speaking of Norse and Norman, another thing I believe we haven't mentioned yet are the new cultures we've added: Norse, Bolghar, Khazar, Mordvin, Samoyed and Avar. In 867, all Scandinavians are of the Norse culture, but there are events that will initiate a split into Swedish, Danish and Norwegian. Independent Norse rulers outside Scandinavia will not be affected. Determined players can also choose to stay Norse and attempt to educate children of vassals to stick to this culture. Similarly, there are events for the appearance of Norman culture, which is formed by Norse conquerors in Frankish, Breton or Occitan lands. (Yes, we could have done this for any number of cultures in the game, but it is quite a lot of work. It is, of course, also fully moddable.)

CKII_ToG_DD_06_Cultural_Divergence.jpg

That sums it up for today! Next Wednesday will see the last dev diary for The Old Gods expansion and will feature the new technology system and what other tidbits remain.

Bonus, in case you missed it ;)

Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods Video Dev Diary 2 - Rebels
[video=youtube;eo7ttCKInYM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo7ttCKInYM[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it possible to send out a courtmember to a county outside your realm, and this way increase the chances of "provoking" a rebellion, that will make them independent, so that I may conquer them afterwards?

Also, can I join a rebel or an adventure, with men or gold, like I can join a regular war on either side?

BTW. Amazing new features, and another great dev diary... Really REALLY staring to look forward for realease :)

Since liberators are supposed to rise up against foreigners, why should primary vs. secondary title matter? If a Frenchman takes both England and Scotland, the English (Saxon, whatever) should be able to rise in England and the Scots in Scotland.
If that's the case, is there possibility that vassals of rebelling culture could join the revolt?

Also: how much of the kingdom must be in player's possession to have risk of liberation revolt?

Um, the county loss is if your lose the war. It's not (at least how the diary and video make it seem) like the decadence revolt, where a county is usurped *first*.

Oh I got that wrong too then. I thought the rebels took over the county at the start of the war. Thanks for clearing it up.

Is it possible to send out a courtmember to a county outside your realm, and this way increase the chances of "provoking" a rebellion, that will make them independent, so that I may conquer them afterwards?

If I understand correctly, there is no need for you to do this - the claimant will start preparing in your realm and then invade their claim.

Also, can I join a rebel or an adventure, with men or gold, like I can join a regular war on either side?

Third screenie has an adventurer or claimant allied to Franconia. I would guess marriages & dynastic alliances work just fine...

(but on the other hand, I realised that now France will have liberations from Aquitaine... uhm, not sure, if I like this particular case)
Keep in mind that the wrong culture penalty is only applied if the holder of the province is the wrong culture, the culture of the top leige doesn't matter, so as long as the occitan provinces are held by occitan vassals there won't be any liberators. However, if the king were to replace the occitans with franks...

Keep in mind that the wrong culture penalty is only applied if the holder of the province is the wrong culture, the culture of the top leige doesn't matter, so as long as the occitan provinces are held by occitan vassals there won't be any liberators. However, if the king were to replace the occitans with franks...
Worse - if some petty count died and was succeded by daughter who won't marry matrilineary ;)

Those features sound awesome.
The (possibly) annoying thing about the rebel thing is that you'll have to culture / religion convert a province to end those uprisings once and for all. One more reason to replace all land owners with people having the "right" culture and religion.

Has anyone else noticed that questions concerning Slavs are routinely ignored?

Those features sound awesome.
The (possibly) annoying thing about the rebel thing is that you'll have to culture / religion convert a province to end those uprisings once and for all. One more reason to replace all land owners with people having the "right" culture and religion.

On the other hand, wouldn't avoiding peasant/liberation rebellions be a reason to keep local culture/religion vassals?

You could make the name of rebellions culture/religion sensitive. A peasant uprising in the Steppe seems unlikely, it could instead be a Tribal uprising with a local tribe leader who fancy himself to be khan someday.

Woo new diary

But seriously why would you add Khazar when you aren't going to add in Judaism? That just hurts, it means I'll never be able to march on Jerusalem and restore the Kingdom of David as a Khazar king like the Zoroastrians can do for the Persian empire.

Has anyone else noticed that questions concerning Slavs are routinely ignored?

It's all an evil conspiracy, I tells ye :)

Seriously though, imo, we should go through the event contest route. Most likely there's no special mechanics planned for non-Norse, sadly. Though, earlier I proposed faster assimilating of other cultures for Slavs, bigger defensive bonus for Balts (and no defense bonus for other pagans) and trade income bonus for Finns. That would make sense historically and allow for a different style of gameplay for each of them.

Oh well, at least we can hopefully add a ton of flavour events bonus. We should just be more active in the contest thread. The ones added by ChocolateMuss are amazing and definately should be in game.

One of the features for Slavs could also be that they could get reformed faster than the others, having holy sites close to each other: Rugen, Mecklenburg and Silesia. It's not special mechanics, just the game setup.