• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello everyone! So finally we address the Elephant in the room, specifically the War Elephant in the upcoming Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India expansion.

When making an expansion based on India we simply couldn't ignore the elephantry that they fielded. These giants will help your Indian rulers to conquer and stampede over any opposition you face, being the heaviest cavalry you can field in Crusader Kings 2. These beasts of war will be mostly available from retinues but there will also be cultural buildings that will produce them for you. They will only exist in very limited numbers compared to other troop types but will have a devastating effect on the battlefield during the melee phase. The Indian general that makes sure to use his unique set of tactics available for these units will without a doubt be victorious.

We also fixed so that the Arabic cultures can field their own camel warriors to face the heathens with.

View attachment ck2_2.png
Showing off their mighty War Elephant Retinues

The old troop type system was very limiting, not allowing for a lot of creativity, and we had nowhere to place the new war elephants in the user interface, it was already over-crowded with the other troop types. So what we did was remake the Horse Archer with a fully script-able troop type known as Special Troops. These now represent Horse Archers, Camel Warriors and the mighty War Elephants. It will be even possible to field Camel Warriors and War Elephants in the same army in your grand pan Arabic-Indian Empire if you so desire. The most important thing is that now modders can utilize this to make their mods even more diverse and interesting, allowing them to add troop types ranging from Wizards to gunpowder troops.

View attachment ck2_3.png
The breakdown of special troops, everything is quite similar to
before except for the numbering of the horse archers.

What is the actual difference for the modders from the previous system then? Well Korbah made an excellent diagram he posted on the beta forum which I am going to borrow from him.

View attachment hkjhkjh.jpg

Previously the troop types were hard-coded in place which gave very little option with what you could actually do with them. Each regiment always had six entries: Light Infantry, Heavy Infantry, Archers, Pikemen, Light Cavalry, Heavy Cavalry and Horse Archers. This meant an army would always consist of a composition of these troop types. The new system removes the Horse Archers and replaces it with the special troop type, meaning it can be anything and every regiment can have a different composition of troop types and still function as a unified army. The only limit on this is that a regiment can only have one special troop type, so one holding can not produce several different special troop types and mercenaries and retinues can only have one special troop type assigned to them.

With the India expansion the world grows immensely giving us a good opportunity to add some common tactical problems that commanders of the time faced. First we gave the Indian subcontinent the jungle terrain type which will harshly increase your attrition and defense bonuses. But the other problem is supplies, it won't be a simple task to just walk across all of Europe with every single soldier you started with alive. You will now have to combat starvation as you march far away from your home. This means that Norse Vikings armies will have starved to death before even reaching India.

How it works is that while you are nearby your realm or your top-liege's realm your soldiers will fill up on supplies to keep themselves fed. These supplies will always last for 31 days. When they step too far away into neutral territory they will start to starve for supplies and have a ticking attrition that goes up slowly for each day. A good martial leader can of course counter-act it to a certain point. When you do finally reach the enemy territory, the troops will start foraging from their surrounding area to keep themselves supplied. The foraging builds on the pillaging from the loot bar except it goes a lot slower. When the soldiers can't take more from the loot bar they will start to starve again in 31 days. This will balance the rulers of Europe to invade their neighbors instead of happily jump over the Egypt and start carving their piece of India. Instead they will have to put a bit effort into it if they want to actually reach India.

So yes we will see a Norse India eventually, but it will be quite an achievement.

There has been some big issues with what people have dubbed "North Korea Mode", making the game way too easy to play and removing the entire feudal point of the game. So we have made playing this way a lot less rewarding by reducing the amount of levies and income they actually get from doing this. It is of course still completely possible to play like this if you still want to, but you will be a bankrupt France with only 400 troops while the strong HRE will be raising a lot more troops than that. Small counts and dukes who go over their demense limit just a little bit will be a bit penalized but not to the same degree.

Bonus: Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India Interview with Project Lead Henrik Fahraeus
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Excl...ith-Project-Lead-Henrik-Fahraeus-429067.shtml

Seeing the M1, Gryphons and Unicorns examples as special units makes me afraid you are not taking flaming pigs serious enough. If India gets elephants everyone else gets flaming pigs which instantly turns elephants on their own (Elephants were useless in Europe because they can be defeated by pigs).

Except for the bit where the flaming pigs were incredibly difficult to use, you had to be practically on top of the enemy to be close enough to use them (burning pigs don't tend to live very long, after all), and they were just as likely to catch you, your army, and your equipment on fire.

Flaming pigs can be a counter to elephants, but they were a pretty inefficient weapon.

I really like the new special unit feature, it really open things up for modders. It would be great if they could do something similar for EU IV.

Frankly, I'm unhappy about how NK mode went about being fixed.

Unlike console cheats, whose temptation I have a hard time resisting, I can easily play CK2 without doing NK mode...

But the difference between what can be raised through direct holdings, versus what can be raised through vassals is INSANE. Feudalism is /broken/ in CK2, which is why NK mode is so attractive an option. The number of men held back by my vassals cripples my realm, even when I'm on good terms with my dukes. We're talking about 1200 men from a duchy under NK mode I can raise 6000.

--Edit--

That said, this'll be a nifty boon to my MLP mod :D

I'm guessing there will probably be a new commander trait to boost supplies? Maybe organization will help with that as well? How will being on ships affect this starvation attrition?

Frankly, I'm unhappy about how NK mode went about being fixed.

Unlike console cheats, whose temptation I have a hard time resisting, I can easily play CK2 without doing NK mode...

But the difference between what can be raised through direct holdings, versus what can be raised through vassals is INSANE. Feudalism is /broken/ in CK2, which is why NK mode is so attractive an option. The number of men held back by my vassals cripples my realm, even when I'm on good terms with my dukes. We're talking about 1200 men from a duchy under NK mode I can raise 6000.

--Edit--

That said, this'll be a nifty boon to my MLP mod :D
I think the concept here is that the malus for being over your desmene will be much greater to simulate the difficulties of administering a huge realm. And vassals giving you a small ammount of levies is normal in my mind, I mean even if they do like you a lot, they still have to watch out for other vassals, raiders, their personal wars and thats without mentionning their own trouble in finding peasants who are hiding from conscription.

I want war goats and llamas.
And I want:
rabbit.jpg

War rabbits.
The ultimate medieval weapon of mass destruction. One of them can slaughter a 20k stack alone.

My only thought is multiplayer though, when it would seem inappropriate to pause.

That said, the penalties only seem to effect levies and that shouldn't be too much of a problem at peace.

No; see, the problem I was trying to raise with that case study is that if they implement a demesne levy penalty multiplier based on how much above the limit you are, then it becomes very likely that at sudden your total available levies become a fraction of their usual number and not only you have to wait months/years for them to replenish, but also have all factions in your realm trigger in your face.

That's rather hard consequences for a player that at that point might never had the intention to use NK strategy and in fact may very well happen completely out of player's control (you don't get to choose when the pope enforce demands on taking Jerusalem).

I'm strongly in favor of handling NK mode; I'm not in favor of penalizing other players as collateral effect.

I think the concept here is that the malus for being over your desmene will be much greater to simulate the difficulties of administering a huge realm. And vassals giving you a small ammount of levies is normal in my mind, I mean even if they do like you a lot, they still have to watch out for other vassals, raiders, their personal wars and thats without mentionning their own trouble in finding peasants who are hiding from conscription.

I agree with the concept. NK mode is overpowered; I should be facing a shitton more revolts and having a penalty to the number of troops I get.

As it currently stands, revolts are slightly annoying, Jihads are a laugh (but then again I've gutted Islam by taking Mesoptamia, Egypt, Africa, Hispania, half of Arabia, chunks of Persia, and I'm currently in a Holy War for Marrakech), and the only think that'll be tough is fighting the Seljuks - who beyond some territory on the Black Sea I don't care to conquer. The mongols should be broken down a bit by the time they reach me through the fragmentation that is the Russias.

So I don't mind getting some sort of revolt risk addition. Maybe a global half-a-point for every 10 points of "You are over your demense limit"? And perhaps the same penalty for troops as for income, so I get 10% the troops.

But can we fix the number of troops we lose in layers to fuedalism please? I understand that I'm going to get less troops from 1 duke with 2 count vassals than I would from 3 count vassals directly, but jesu christo the number they hold back is too much, even when they like me 100%.

War Hathi!!!

Okay, I admit that changes made for armies (combined with limited diplomatic range- finally!) at least partially satisfied me. Few things though:

1. Supplies- great idea, it'll make fighting with hordes finally possible, but it could be solved in much better way: rather than fixed number of 31 days, it should be dependent on tech, culture and infrastructure (which would be dependent on tech in turn). It could be solution to huge 120k horde stacks- they could be "attritionable", but with relatively long time of supplies lasting. Nonetheless, after a while (and few initial victories), they'd have to split their huge armies. Whats more, more advanced countries like Byzantium, France, some Muslim realms, could be able to actually use their huge stacks- when they're not collapsing that is.

Also, it'd be nice to have some graphic of supplies number left- something like in Victoria 2.

2. Just a question actually- does new army system (special units), means that whole armies could be composed of them? For example, apart from 4 basic units, under special units, can be put dozens of soldier types? And will it be able to create retinues with different special units, or every realm is stuck with one?

3. Solution to North Korea problem solves only problem and not its cause. After all, it was never possible for single person to actually run whole city, not mentioning whole provinces, sometimes being on opposite sides of the realm (which happens quite often in CK2). Every king, duke, count- damn- even baron or simple landholder- had to delegate his power. It wasn't feudalism though, it was bureaucracy. And even though it could lead to some kind of usurpation, it was rather rare. So if Byzantine emperor have 20 holdings, he most likely doesn't even visits them regularly (and I'm talking about CK2 version of emperor, not real one, who actually was ruler of everything within empire borders... officially at least). In Poland, similar situation existed- at the beginning, there was only single despotic ruler- Duke- and under him very minor nobles... pursuing their own agendas. It was actually much, much worse than regular feudalism, as it led countless civil wars. Proper feudalism was established much later. And it'd be really nice to see it depicted in game in some other way than it currently is.

I'm so happy they added the attrition in foreign land. Now, it can be possible to be forced to lift a siege if attrition gets to bad (as happened dozens of times in Constantinople).

Why they felt the need to nerf NK mode is beyond me. Especially since most people don't really care.

It's amazing there were numerous forumites once raging that RoI would almost certainly mean Vikings in India by 870. Have to wonder how many of them really just didn't think Paradox wouldn't think of a new mechanic to prevent that...

But hey, great dev diary and great to see the supply limit changes! I think the Norse needs a special unit:

Walrus cavalry, capable of ignoring amphibious landing penalties (but not being particularly useful in landlocked counties). If nothing else, they would be the most amazing looking sprites in the history of Paradox (except perhaps for those Mutapan Rhino Riders I suggested...).

Whoa whoa whoa, the special units look awesome. In fact I want to see the next dev diary talk about how every cultural building has their own special units now, french cavaliers, norse berserkers, etc. Keep their stats roughly the same if you want but it would add a ton to the immersion of the game!

I'm so happy they added the attrition in foreign land. Now, it can be possible to be forced to lift a siege if attrition gets to bad (as happened dozens of times in Constantinople).

Why they felt the need to nerf NK mode is beyond me. Especially since most people don't really care.

Because why wouldn't they? Its hardly the first exploity thing to get changed in CKII.

Very interesting stuff indeed.