• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May I join without typing that thing into my signature? I will soon have 10 lines as it is...

I think ahistoricity is a part of any game really, and this thought is based on the premise that any game that is exactly like history will follow history and becomes a replay or TV program instead of a playable game. External historical events are good to steer nations toward historical outcomes where game mechanics fail, but it must be expected that the longer time passes the more history and a particular game will diverge.

EU2 had a good balance in a sense, but it only worked once you actually knew about them and knew about how to read the event files and plan ahead. If you suddenly get a historical event of the nature "+10 revolt risk in all provinces for 50 years" that will wreck your game regardless of how historical it may be, if you're not aware of the event's implications in the game before it happens.

What can be done about it? Reduce the need of external events by game mechanics that would simulate the actual reactions that was to be expected if history was different in that particular issue. Crusader Kings tries to do this, but it does fail and that's why I miss a certain amount of historical events in that game. Also, it is impossible to make a 100% correct simulation when it comes to reactions to gameplay differing to history; thus I think there will always be a need for external events if you want most games to player out in a closer to historical fashion.

Status
Not open for further replies.