• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #329 - Technology Beta Wrapup

Hello everyone!

It’s been two weeks, so let’s get straight into the good stuff.

Summary of Results​

Much like the first Technology Open Beta, very experienced players formed the bulk of respondents. This time it was closer to 72% of responses coming from players with over 1,000 hours in game. (Only 1.4% said they had less than 300 hours in Stellaris, so the survey skewed very much towards our most passionate players.) Thank you all for your feedback and help.

This time, a majority of players rated technology progress as “just right”, with the remainder almost perfectly evenly split between it being too fast or too slow, with a majority consensus that the changes were beneficial overall.

Many players missed the breakthrough technologies and the general opinion tended to lean towards us pulling back a little too far. Many players commented that they liked how technology tiers 3 and higher felt more impactful, but lamented that with the removal of breakthroughs, tier 2 sort of melded into tier 1 technologies.

There was also quite a spirited discussion on the Stellaris forums regarding the pros and cons of galaxy generation sliders and their effects on new players.

Our general philosophy is that it is better to permit more customization of your play experience than less, but that the default settings should be a positive play experience for inexperienced players. New players tend not to adjust the sliders much, while veterans tend to have more understanding of the exact effects of the various settings and can customize their game to satisfy their needs - but the default settings, except for difficulty, should be sufficient for an enjoyable game. We do agree that the galaxy settings screen has grown a significant amount over the years and could benefit from some reworking, and will be placing that task on the Custodian “to-do” list for sometime in the future.

Next Steps​

Overall, I consider the Technology Open Betas a significant success. We gathered a lot of useful information and feedback, and it gave us the chance to experiment with some systems that may or may not have panned out. We will be going forward with including the changes from the second Technology Open Beta in the 3.11 “Eridanus” update.

Breakthrough Technologies will not be coming at this time, but we may experiment with technology spread and similar effects sometime in the future.

One new change we’ll be making based on some of the data we’ve collected is that we’re moving Ascension Theory to Tier 4 from Tier 5, but it will only be available to empires that have completed at least six tradition trees. As Unity and Research are intended to be “opposing” resources to a degree, we did not want the capstone of Ascension based gameplay to be so strongly tied to the later game tech tree.

Now let’s hear about one of the other changes coming in the update.

Resort Worlds​

Hello, Stellaris community. I'm Gatekeeper, a long-time modder who's ascended into being part of the Stellaris Content team. And if you know anything about what I've done in the past, I like planets.

One thing I've done recently is to imagine a galaxy where Resort Worlds aren't just post-apocalyptic fortress worlds. Instead, these are vibrant, dedicated havens of rest, starkly contrasting the often harsh realities of interstellar life.

Resort Worlds Technology

The Resort Worlds technology which permits the Create Resort World planetary decision is no longer rare, and we've lowered it to tier 2. We've updated the decision’s restrictions; it no longer has a minimum planet size but can be used on planets that have upgraded capital buildings. As funny as it was (and we did it all the time), you can no longer declare a tomb or relic world a vacation paradise.

A pass has also been done on what buildings are allowed on Resort Worlds.

Create Resort World Planetary Decision
Planetary Decision Tooltip

Instead of providing perfect habitability, Clerks, and Entertainers, Resort Worlds now provide Resort Districts that give Housing, Building Slots, and Resort Worker jobs that provide Trade, and increase Amenities and Trade Value from Living Standards across all planets of your empire. This replaces the empire-wide Amenities reduction of the old version.

Resort District Tooltip
Resort Worker tooltip

On behalf of the United Caphevan Commonwealth, we would like to wish you a pleasant stay on Evaggimar II.

Next Week​

Next week we’ll be looking at some of the fixes and changes going into the 3.11 “Eridanus” update. See you then!

• 87Like
  • 28Love
Reactions:
Good thinking with moving Ascension Theory from Tier 5 to Tier 4. I was thinking about making it into Tier 3, but it might be too much. Let's see how T4 will play out.

Also I like the change with Resort World! You said you removed minimal size from requirements, but have you added some other requirements like "minimal habitability of planet" or "no negative anomalies" or something?

Has Gatekeeper also changed other special worlds or is it just Resort World for now?

Also I know this will be probably too much work to do - but when you decide to rework the Generation Screen - would it be possible to show the size of galaxy somehow, so I won't have to remember what "Bar Galaxy" meant?

• 9Like
Reactions:
Many players missed the breakthrough technologies and the general opinion tended to lean towards us pulling back a little too far. Many players commented that they liked how technology tiers 3 and higher felt more impactful, but lamented that with the removal of breakthroughs, tier 2 sort of melded into tier 1 technologies.
Breakthrough Technologies will not be coming at this time, but we may experiment with technology spread and similar effects sometime in the future.
Aw. I was hoping they'd be back.

A major issue was the impact on performance in checking which empires completed the breakthrough, right? You could get rid of that and just make Breakthrough Techs have a static (but lower) tech cost, same as all the other techs.

Resort Worlds​

Hello, Stellaris community. I'm Gatekeeper, a long-time modder who's ascended into being part of the Stellaris Content team. And if you know anything about what I've done in the past, I like planets.

One thing I've done recently is to imagine a galaxy where Resort Worlds aren't just post-apocalyptic fortress worlds. Instead, these are vibrant, dedicated havens of rest, starkly contrasting the often harsh realities of interstellar life.

Resort Worlds Technology

The Resort Worlds technology which permits the Create Resort World planetary decision is no longer rare, and we've lowered it to tier 2. We've updated the decision’s restrictions; it no longer has a minimum planet size but can be used on planets that have upgraded capital buildings. As funny as it was (and we did it all the time), you can no longer declare a tomb or relic world a vacation paradise.

A pass has also been done on what buildings are allowed on Resort Worlds.

Create Resort World Planetary Decision

Planetary Decision Tooltip

Instead of providing perfect habitability, Clerks, and Entertainers, Resort Worlds now provide Resort Districts that give Housing, Building Slots, and Resort Worker jobs that provide Trade, and increase Amenities and Trade Value from Living Standards across all planets of your empire. This replaces the empire-wide Amenities reduction of the old version.

Resort District Tooltip

Resort Worker tooltip

On behalf of the United Caphevan Commonwealth, we would like to wish you a pleasant stay on Evaggimar II.
Loving all of this, I always wanted Resort Worlds to have unique districts and actually feel like a place our empire's citizens go to relax. ❤️

I feel like the job's tooltip should be clearer that the amenities and trade value from living standards are empire-wide modifiers. Maybe add "Empire effect:" on top of these two, like in leader tooltiips?

Last edited:
Reactions:
T4 Ascension Theory will help since I was definitely blocked waiting for that on both betas.

Any word on special project costs? Some of those are sorely in need of a balance pass after reducing researcher output. Species modifications (especially synthetic ascension and robomodding) in particular are very expensive now. Some of the other special projects as well are even more daunting early-game.

Also, what about Galactic Wonders? The requirements are rather expensive even on live, and with the beta they're pushed even further back. Ring Worlds already struggle to get more than a couple dozen pops by the end of the game

• 2Like
Reactions:
Good thinking with moving Ascension Theory from Tier 5 to Tier 4. I was thinking about making it into Tier 3, but it might be too much. Let's see how T4 will play out.

Also I like the change with Resort World! You said you removed minimal size from requirements, but have you added some other requirements like "minimal habitability of planet" or "no negative anomalies" or something?

Has Gatekeeper also changed other special worlds or is it just Resort World for now?

Also I know this will be probably too much work to do - but when you decide to rework the Generation Screen - would it be possible to show the size of galaxy somehow, so I won't have to remember what "Bar Galaxy" meant?
Just the Resort World, for now.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Still really hope no breakthough techs will be added, as stellaris techs never really were designed for researching entire tech tiers at a time.
Breakthough techs in their previous iteration removed a big part of the "Randomness" of the stellaris tech system.

While i like the idea of a tech "catchup" and counter tech beeline mechanic, the breakthough tech version felt like it removed the main reason for why stellaris unqiue weight based tech system exist.

• 1Like
Reactions:
these changes look good and sensible to me with my way too many hours. Are there any plans for a game performance moonshot? One of the reasons why I'm still slightly skeptical of the tech changes is because the game becomes so slow in the late game and im really used to the performance of Victoria3 and ck3 at this point, but from a gameplay perspective they seem nice

The change to ascension theory is solid. Wouldn't have minded seeing some more planetary ascension levels not being locked behind it, but if we can get it in T4 after unlocking six traditions, Then that means that at least end game research won't get to hold the end game of unity hostage. Will be interesting to see if feedback from the open beta results in a revisit of some other concerns that were brought up. Off the top my head, tech tree bloat, galactic wonders and orbital rings were three that often did come up.

Digging the resort world change. I like that the benefits are actually tied to the world size and that we get special districts with them. Just wondering what buildings we'll get to build on them now. I'm sad we're not getting special ones, but the change will actually make them much more worthwhile. Curious if rogue servitors will get them, I want to say they currently get them, but could be wrong there. I'd argue it would make sense for rogue servitors to have the new version, but maybe with some tweaks. Not unless the devs want to finally allow rogue servitors to have some interaction with the trade system (IMO they should because the trophies would still be interested in buying goods, in a sense).

• 4Like
Reactions: