• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #325 - 3.10.3 "Pyxis" Released [d2aa] + Further Beta Plans

Hi everyone,

The 3.10.3 "Pyxis" update has been released. This release focused primarily on stability, and the contents are identical to the Open Beta that was released on Tuesday.

Improvements
  • Now ‘New Entries’ notification on the outliner tabs is cleared, even when switching between tabs using keyboard shortcuts.
  • Ulastar is now an advisor
  • Vas the Gilded is now an ambassador
Balance
  • Pre-FTLs in Federation's End now have their technological progress frozen
Bugfixes
  • Fixed a number of event or paragon leaders not being generated with the correct traits
  • Fixed envoys passively gaining XP
  • Fixed missing subtitle for Scout trait
  • Pre-FTL Empires will now have a fully functional council when they ascend to the stars.
  • Released Vassals will now have a fully functional council when released.
Stability
  • Fix crash on startup for Linux (including steam deck).
  • Fix crash related to modifiers of recently destroyed empires updating
  • Fixed crash when surveying a planet that was just removed from the map
UI
  • Removed some empty space in the topbar
Modding
  • Added moddable_conditions_custom_tooltip parameter to civics modification statement to allow displaying a custom requirement key when no condition has been specified
  • Fixed civics modifications statements not always (not) allowing the correct civic changes
  • Improved error logging to know which federation perk is invalid

We currently have plans for another update this cycle with some more fixes, including an AI fix to encourage them to recruit an appropriate number of scientists, and a change to the Micromanager negative trait. As with the last few, we plan on putting it on the stellaris_test branch on Tuesday, for release later on in the week.

What’s After 3.10.4?​

Tentatively scheduled for next Friday, we plan on putting up a longer open beta over the holidays that seeks to collect feedback regarding some potential balance changes to ship production, upkeep, and research in general.

Stellaris has undergone a significant amount of power creep over the years, and the speed at which we're able to burn through the entire technology tree is much higher than is healthy for the game. Due to the large number of stacking research speed modifiers, repeatable technologies are reached far too early in the game. Another power creep issue mentioned by many players, it's also become trivial to stack large numbers of ship build cost and ship upkeep reduction modifiers.

The Holiday Open Beta will be a feature branch that contains the following changes, which may or may not go into 3.11 (or 3.12, or any release at all for that matter). Similar to how we handled Industrial Districts several years ago, we're intentionally keeping these separated from core 3.11 development, isolating this in a parallel track.

We’ll have a feedback form set up to collect your thoughts, and the Open Beta will run until the middle of January.

• Research Speed Bonuses now usually come with increased Researcher Upkeep.
    • By changing these to throughput bonuses (cost + production), a technology focused empire will require more Consumer Goods or other resources depending on who they use to research. This puts a partial economic break on runaway technology.
  • Reduction in most Research Speed bonus modifiers.
  • The +20% Research Field technologies have been removed. In their place we have introduced new "Breakthrough Technologies". These technologies are required to reach the next tier of research.
    • Whether it be the transistor, the theory of relativity, or faster-than-light travel, occasionally there are technologies that redefine a field of science.
      • The intent of these breakthrough technologies is to slow down the front-runners a little bit, while still letting the slower empires get pulled along.
    • Breakthrough technologies start off more difficult than regular technologies but have a variant of tech spread - the more nations you have at least low Technological intel on who have already discovered them, the cheaper they are to research (even down to instant research once the theory is commonplace). This tech spread varies based on galaxy size.
      • Enigmatic Engineering prevents this tech spread.
    • Breakthrough technologies have animated borders to stand out.
  • Reduced Output of Researcher Jobs:
    • Researchers and their gestalt equivalents now produce 3 of each research instead of 4
    • Head Researchers now produce 4 of each research instead of 6
    • The effectiveness of Ministry of Science has been halved
    • Astral Researchers now produce 5 physics and 1 of each other research instead of 5 physics and 2 of the other researches.
    • All other researchers, such as Necromancers, have been left alone for now
  • The Technology curve has been changed from 1000 × 2^n to 500 × (2^n + 3^n), making the difference between an early and late-game tech more distinct.
  • Replaced or removed most sources of Ship Cost and Upkeep reductions from the game.
    • Military Buildup Agenda now improves ship build speed and reduces claim costs. (It still reduces War Exhaustion on completion.)
    • Naval Procurement Officer councilor now improves ship build speed.
    • Crusader Spirit civic now improves ship build speed.
    • Psionic Supremacy (Eater of Worlds) finisher no longer reduces ship build costs.
    • Vyctor's Improved Fleet Logistics trait now reduces ship build costs by 10% instead of 20%.
    • Progress Oriented modifier no longer reduces ship build costs.
    • Match tradition in the Enmity tree bonus to ship build costs reduced to 5% instead of 10%.
    • Master Shipwrights tradition in the Supremacy tree no longer reduces ship build costs.
    • Chosen of the Eater of Worlds ship build cost reduction reduced to 5% from 15%, and no longer modifies ship upkeep.
    • Military Pioneer trait now reduces starbase upgrade costs instead of ship build costs.
    • Shipwright trait no longer reduces ship build costs.
    • Reduced penalty the Irenic trait applies to ship build costs.
    • Sanctum of the Eater ship upkeep reduction reduced from 10% to 5%.
    • Mark of the Instrument ship component no longer reduces ship upkeep.
    • Grand Fleet ambition now increases power projection instead of reducing ship upkeep.
    • Fleet Supremacy edict no longer reduces ship upkeep.
    • Corporate Crusader Spirit Letters of Marque now reduces ship upkeep by 5% instead of 10%.
    • Bulwark ship upkeep reductions reduced by 50%.
    • Logistic Understanding, Armada Logistician, and Gunboat Diplomat traits now reduces ship upkeep while docked

We'll have more information in next week's dev diary.

#MODJAM2024 Signups are open!​

Over the holiday period, we will be running another Mod Jam. This year’s theme will be revealed on December 12th, and sign ups will close on December 14th. The Community team will be posting weekly Mod Jam updates in place of our weekly Dev Diaries, so you can still get your weekly Stellaris fix.

We’ve currently scheduled the Mod Jam mod to release on January 11th! If you’re interested in participating, you can get more details and sign up here. You can also subscribe to the Mod Jam mod here, and get it as soon as it releases.

1701937781878.png

See you next week!

Last edited:
  • 69Like
  • 11Love
Reactions:
Breakthrough technologies sound a bit like embracing the Renaissance in EU4, kind of a rubber band affect - the headlining empires get slowed down by this barrier they have to cross whilst neighbouring empires will benefit faster breakthroughs as it spreads - whom are already lagging behind, get an opportunity to catch up? Is that how it'll work?

Will be interesting.

Last edited:
  • 9Like
Reactions:
How rare are the Breakthrough Technologies relative to other techs, should we expect to almost finish a tech tier before finding them?

They're effectively the first technology of the next tier.

After researching a number of tier (x) techs, the breakthrough necessary to get tier (x+1) techs will start showing up.

Breakthrough technologies sound a bit like embracing the Renaissance in EU4, kind of a rubberband affect - the headlining empires get slowed down by this barrier they have to cross whilst neighbouring empires will benefit whom are already lagging behind behind get an opportunity to catch up? Is that how it'll work?

Will be interesting.

That's the general idea behind them.

• 23Like
Reactions:
Man, it's gonna suck so much to replace casualties in wars and crisis XD

It is already bad enough at the moment, it's gonna be a logistical nightmare going forward

But I'm here for it :p

• 1Haha
Reactions:
I realy like those changement on research. I remember the pre megacorp game were repeatable tech were realy end game tech. Reaching zero energy reactor and mega engineering by the mid game has always felt wrong to me.

For the ship, I also agree on the fact there is to much ship by the late game, for a player having to manage 10 armada is not very fun. However I am not sure just increase the cost or prevent it's reduction is the best approach here. For me the current problem with ship is that you can too easely stack hundreds of naval capacity. Maybe reduce naval capacity sources and multiplier would be a better approach.

Good to see the power balance be adress though. The idea of tech spread is very nice, I hope it will reduce snowballing effect. by giving a chance to weaker empire to still compete with player.

Reactions:
I forgot to mention that Tech and Tradition sliders will also be broken apart so you can adjust them independently. Whoops. Well, it does say preliminary notes, right?

For the ship, I also agree on the fact there is to much ship by the late game, for a player having to manage 10 armada is not very fun. However I am not sure just increase the cost or prevent it's reduction is the best approach here. For me the current problem with ship is that you can too easely stack hundreds of naval capacity. Maybe reduce naval capacity sources and multiplier would be a better approach.

This is true. It's pretty easy to get to much higher levels of Naval Capacity these days.

• 18Like
  • 13Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
When it comes to the increase in research upkeep, my only worry is that it's going to make Machine Empires even more competitive than they already are, research-wise. Energy is a lot easier to produce than CGs, and MEs already tend to significantly outpace regular empires in that field, so... yeah.

Still a good effort at balance though, it's probably going to massively change the way the galaxy progresses, I'm curious to see how that will go.

• 1Like
Reactions:
So if everything from "tier 1" gets researched and you have been holding off from getting a Breakthrough Technology to unlock more techs, what choices will show up on research window other then the said Breakthrough Tech?

Reactions:
Really like the new ideas for science production! Especially the idea of binding output to input, so that just the efficiency per pop increases with tech. Any plans to also apply this to other jobs? This could be used as a tool to decrease the whole economic power creep the game has gotten in the last years... Especially basic resoucres are no scarcity anymore.

Are there any plans to take a look at the very late game thing that is Repeatables? I always liked the suggestion to transform them into buffs for their fields, that are only active when selected instead of stacking endless levels on top of each other, what always ends in a total flood of resources and power creep on the fleets. (More like a system of older Civ games, where cities can go in an endless production mode with empire wide buffs)

Reactions:
Stellaris has undergone a significant amount of power creep over the years, and the speed at which we're able to burn through the entire technology tree is much higher than is healthy for the game. Due to the large number of stacking research speed modifiers, repeatable technologies are reached far too early in the game.
This has been my primary concern with Stellaris for a long while, happy to see it finally being addressed. Particularly since you couldn't even fix it by decreasing research speed, you just delayed the point when the science scaling gets out of control.

Exactly at what point Repeatable Technologies 'should' be reached by a science focused empire vs. regular empires is a pretty contentious issue though so I'm looking forward to discussions on that.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I don't like these changes. They seem to be against the spirit of fun and the power fantasy that Stellaris provides.

The ship build costs weren't even a problem unless you actually minmaxed towards them. I can understand nerfing them, but removing almost all sources of them is just unfun.

The research throughput is a decent change, and probably the right direction. Hopefully something like that could be applied to ship build cost. rather than just removing all sources of it.

• 1Like
Reactions:
In my view you should never reach repeatable technologies in a game.

It should be balanced so 75% of the tech is reached.I would just have one tech tree and make choices more important.The game no longer has 3 scientists any more so it's obsolete imo.

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
When it comes to the increase in research upkeep, my only worry is that it's going to make Machine Empires even more competitive than they already are, research-wise. Energy is a lot easier to produce than CGs, and MEs already tend to significantly outpace regular empires in that field, so... yeah.

Still a good effort at balance though, it's probably going to massively change the way the galaxy progresses, I'm curious to see how that will go.

It's definitely a big enough change that I want to get some feedback on it, and risky enough that it stays isolated in its own feature branch.

So if everything from "tier 1" gets researched and you have been holding off from getting a Breakthrough Technology to unlock more techs, what choices will show up on research window other then the said Breakthrough Tech?

If you've researched all the techs you currently have available to you, eventually the breakthrough tech will be your only choice in that field.

• 10Like
Reactions:
These look like great changes! Really glad to see power creep getting addressed. I'd be interested in knowing if the devs have any specific plans or intentions regarding the Khan and Awakened empires? Will they be looked at as a metric for the success of these changes based on how they perform (relative to design intent) on typical settings?

• 2Like
Reactions:
The ship build costs weren't even a problem unless you actually minmaxed towards them. I can understand nerfing them, but removing almost all sources of them is just unfun.

I'm far from a minmax player, I go for role play even if I pick things that are quite suboptimal. But even playing like that it was not hard to stack significant shipbuild discounts to the point printing out fleets in the late game was never a problem.

Removing most of them, nerfing the rest, and reworking to ship speed is more balanced and still fun.

• 3Like
Reactions: