• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #303 - Stellaris with a Twist Community Event!

Hello everyone!

Now that the 3.8.3 patch has been released, and it seems so far that multiplayer and co-op stability is in a pretty good state. We’re continuing work on a 3.8.4 release planned for a few weeks from now, to get some more fixes in before summer hits.

A few highlights include changes relating to ground combat collateral damage and bombardment (specifically Raiding Bombardment).

We’re reducing the amount of collateral damage ground units deal, as many invasions were destroying the colonies before the battle completed.

The base rate at which Raiding bombardment steals pops will be dramatically reduced. Each army present on a planet will also protect 3 pops from being vulnerable to Raiding bombardment. (Raiding bombardment is always unable to steal the last pop of a colony, so on a colony with three defending armies the last ten pops would be safe from raiding.)

Since next week is another short week in Sweden, our next dev diary will be on June 15th, though I may drop a little update with some more of the confirmed fixes planned for 3.8.4.

Now I’ll pass it over to @MordredViking for some information on the community event that’s starting.

Stellaris with a Twist​

Hello! I’m Mordred Viking, the Community Manager for Stellaris!

To celebrate Stellaris’ 7th anniversary, we’re running our Stellaris with a Twist event! Two of our favorite content creators will explore a galaxy, with objectives suggested by, and voted on, by you, the Community. These streams will run for the first three Wednesdays in June (June 7th, 14th and 21st), at 1500 CEST (UTC+1). Want more details on this event, and how you can get involved? Check out this forum post!

Each player will have a personal goal to achieve, plus they will have a joint goal. All the Content Creator goals will be crowdsourced from the Community. Goal suggestions are currently open, so you can leave your suggestions here. Be sure to watch our social media channels (or join us on discord!), because voting will start on Friday and be active all weekend. On Monday we will announce the goals for the first stream on Wednesday, June 7th!

1685538011032.png

Subscribe to Ep3o and Follow AlphaYangDelete!​

That's it for this week, folks! See you again on June 15th (or sooner)!

• 39Like
Reactions:
Any chance of getting increased command limit from admirals back or smth similar to reduce the number of admirals mid-late game? Leader cap still doesnt seem to work well with old command limit.

• 9Like
Reactions:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Any chance of getting increased command limit from admirals back or smth similar to reduce the number of admirals mid-late game? Leader cap still doesnt seem to work well with old command limit.

Some flat boosts to all the fleet cap techs would be a good short term solution until they figure out the new plan for leader limits

• 8Like
Reactions:
We’re reducing the amount of collateral damage ground units deal, as many invasions were destroying the colonies before the battle completed.

The base rate at which Raiding bombardment steals pops will be dramatically reduced. Each army present on a planet will also protect 3 pops from being vulnerable to Raiding bombardment. (Raiding bombardment is always unable to steal the last pop of a colony, so on a colony with three defending armies the last ten pops would be safe from raiding.)
Some questions:

1. Does that include offensive armies? If so, doesn't this buff cheap spammable armies like slave armies and clone armies, with 20 armies effectively protecting all pops from raiding on most colonies?

2 Will stronger armies protect more pops, or will a Mega Warform protect as many pops as a basic assault army?

3. Won't that make raiding bombardment essentially useless?

4. And lastly, shouldn't a certain amount of pops be protected from dying to collateral damage at all (especially the last one), and shouldn't armies protect some pops from dying to collateral damage?

Last edited:
  • 7Like
Reactions:
3.8.3 seems quite solid, but there could be some improvements. Resource traits became absurdly strong, that I have to forget all the meta-builds now. If you manage to get 3~4 resource giving leaders early game, you can easily sit on resources from the very start. Aptitude and Transcendent Learning AP allows you to grab resource leaders very easily. Combine it with Heroic Past or Vault of knowledge, it's even better. Prosperity, Executive Vigor, Aquatics trait,.... they are nothing when compared with leader traits. Resource trait in early economy marginalizes all the other features. I think this market equivalent of 32 energy/month traits should be toned down a bit.

• 7Like
Reactions:
2. Won't that make raiding bombardment essentially useless?
Not necessarily. Raiding bombardment can and will kill defending armies, leaving the pops vulnerable to abduction.
You can speed up the process further, by either sending an invasion force to soften up the defenders or by only switching to the raiding stance after you've bombed the living daylights out of the defending armies.

And even if the nerf is too bad, I'd rather spend summer with raiding bombardment being way too weak than with it being way too strong...

• 3Like
Reactions:
This is easy to mod back in if you mod. Here is one (not mine), though as of this writing it overwrites more than it has to and may conflict with other mods.

Some flat boosts to all the fleet cap techs would be a good short term solution until they figure out the new plan for leader limits
Honestly, I feel like they should do to fleet cap what they did to naval cap. You can go over the cap but get a penalty that scales based off of how far over you go. This way you can bring back admiral fleet cap increase and avoid the fleets splitting just because the admiral died. That way the part of the community that wants admirals to increase fleet cap can have their doom STACK(!) that has -100% ship fire rate and -100% evasion and I don’t have to see another post about admirals affecting fleet cap or else I’ll cry.

Also, I do think there should be a flat boost to the repeatables for fleet cap to a max of 300.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Please no. The problem lies in scarcity of Admirals, not minor fleet cap changes.

On topic. Good change to Raiding Bombardment, and Planetary Damage via ground combat. Honestly the latter especially kills people at an absurd rate. 1/10 as fast would still be "absurd" in terms of collateral damage looking at past real world conflicts.

Sad to not hear anything about the leader cap. It's still in a terrible state and the discussions about it have turned the forum into as hostile and toxic a place as I've ever seen it, far exceeding both the old FTL cull and Mega Corp release.

• 19Like
Reactions:
Some questions:

1. Does that include offensive armies? If some, doesn't this buff cheap spammable armies like slave armies and clone armies, with 20 armies effectively protecting all pops from raiding on most colonies?

2. Won't that make raiding bombardment essentially useless?

3. Second, will stronger armies protect more pops, or will a Mega Warform protect as many pops as a basic assault army?

4. And lastly, shouldn't a certain amount of pops be protected from dying to collateral damage at all (especially the last one), and shouldn't armies protect some pops from dying to collateral damage?
I believe with this the tactic is to first bomb most of the armies dead, in order to steal the pops which lost protection with raiding afterwards.
It makes sense to me, as before u could have a heavy fortress planet and still easily lose all the pops working on the soldier/army jobs on it from raiding. This caused the defense armies to get deleted rather than beaten.
With the change the defense armies actual protect parts of the population from abduction, rather than getting abducted themselves.

• 6Like
Reactions:
Honestly, I feel like they should do to fleet cap what they did to naval cap. You can go over the cap but get a penalty that scales based off of how far over you go. This way you can bring back admiral fleet cap increase and avoid the fleets splitting just because the admiral died. That way the part of the community that wants admirals to increase fleet cap can have their doom STACK(!) that has -100% ship fire rate and -100% evasion and I don’t have to see another post about admirals affecting fleet cap or else I’ll cry.

Also, I do think there should be a flat boost to the repeatables for fleet cap to a max of 300.

I think that’s a bad idea because it penalises players that don’t micromanage. Say your admiral dies and your fleet is now over the limit, if you don’t split it to get rid of the penalties you’ll be worse off against another empire that does. E.g if base fleet cap is 100 and your fleet is at 120 the penalties will make it worse than one fleet of 100 being followed by one fleet of 20.

This is why I think a higher base fleet cap would be the best simple solution, at least in the short term. If having fewer admirals means that we need a smaller number of larger fleets then let’s just get that. Keep it simple and all that. Whenever the rework happens to the leader cap (the devs mentioned several approaches they were thinking of last dev diary) fleet cap and its purpose can be revisited.

Reactions:
The base rate at which Raiding bombardment steals pops will be dramatically reduced. Each army present on a planet will also protect 3 pops from being vulnerable to Raiding bombardment. (Raiding bombardment is always unable to steal the last pop of a colony, so on a colony with three defending armies the last ten pops would be safe from raiding.
Maybe instead of tying it to armies, it should be tied to jobs. Soldier and soldier-Esau’s jobs should be protected from abduction. Or, tie it to buildings. Fortress/strongholds, order keeps/castles, law enforcement building, planet capitals and planet shield can protect as a flat number (or all in the case of shields) of people?

Frankly, don't understand the quantity of downvotes. Many people are fine wih the current command limit combined with leader cap?

Frankly, don't understand the quantity of downvotes. Many people are fine wih the current command limit combined with leader cap?

I think it’s because people didn’t like the dynamic fleet cap. I imagine if you’d just posted about the leader cap you would have got more up votes.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Many people are fine wih the current command limit combined with leader cap
I would like to get the commandlimit increase back, that was (at least for me) a good solution but i don't have that many fleets even in the endgame because i rely most of the time on federation and imperial fleets.

The Leader cap is absolutely fine for me ( i know, many will disagree). But i need 6 leaders for my council, four scientists for exploration and stuff where 1 is for the council and the rest for the early exploration phase, if they die later on they don't get replaced. Then two to four governeurs (2 on the council) and three generals (2 on the council, one in the field). And three admirals (1 on the council).

Makes 6 councilours and over all at max 16 leaders, most of the time between 12 to 14 at the same time. And thats easy archieved. The only thing i would like to have are governeurs again beeing sector wide.

Reactions:
Will the single-planet governor micromanagement be addressed in the patch? Just tone down the governor traits a little and make them sector-wide again please.

The exploit of jumping your starting admiral around to scout with all three starting corvettes also needs fixing. Please try to avoid having so many of these exploits which reward constant micromanagement. Turning edicts on and off at month change to avoid paying upkeep for them is another one.

Reactions: