[RESOURCE] Almost Blank Map, or a Total Conversion Sandbox (V1.7)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hey bombusfrigidus ,

I love your blank map, its (almost) working perfectly for my total conversion mod. Sadly just almost. Every file is working problerly except rivers.png. Everytime I edit it just by one pixel, it causes CTD. No matter what I did helped. I'm using GIMP so indexed colours shouldnt be the problem. I cannot add any land or rivers. Have to stay with your "blank" circle. Do I have to edit some .txt files for it?

Regards

Reactions:
Hey bombusfrigidus ,

I love your blank map, its (almost) working perfectly for my total conversion mod. Sadly just almost. Every file is working problerly except rivers.png. Everytime I edit it just by one pixel, it causes CTD. No matter what I did helped. I'm using GIMP so indexed colours shouldnt be the problem. I cannot add any land or rivers. Have to stay with your "blank" circle. Do I have to edit some .txt files for it?

Regards

Glad it's almost helpful! Can you launch with your own heightmap and provinces if there are no changes to the "blank" river map?

There are no files to edit for rivers besides rivers.png (I think), so I'd guess your issue has to do with settings in GIMP or the rules of river drawing.

This isn't all that helpful of me; would you mind posting your rivers.png, or a representative snippet, if the issue persists?

Yeah, so I managed to fix it by reimporting the base game's rivers.png. Apparently GIMP was not able to load indexed colours in BlankIsland rivers.png. I copied over the data onto imported base rivers.png and I was able to edit it without problems and CTD. I think maybe the data was corrupted while unpacking from the archive. Otherwise I cannot explain it. But thanks for your help :)!

Regards

• 2Like
Reactions:
I don't even know what happend here, i cant make more than three counties or duchies it just crashes lol, can you please tell me what i did wrong?

Attachments

• debug.log
    39,5 KB · Views: 0
  • error.log
    4,1 MB · Views: 0
  • game.log
    40,4 KB · Views: 0
  • system.log
    874 bytes · Views: 0
Did you save your provinces file with correct Bitmap formats? Error log addresses file format "Unable to parse image with format: [Bitmap, Palette, 4]".

Reactions:
Running into errors straight of the bat. Just downloaded the direct link and tried to open the map editor and it crashes.

The direct link being the Drive link, right? Were you able to check whether the Steam version also crashes?

The log isn't turning up really obvious issues, so I'm at a loss for the moment. I'll see if I can get a crash from launching to the editor right after a fresh download.

Running into errors straight of the bat. Just downloaded the direct link and tried to open the map editor and it crashes.
Sometimes my mapeditor crashes without reason aswell. If I wasnt able to find a clue, I always just checked adding "-debug_mode" behind "-mapeditor". 9/10 it works after that. Dunno why though. Maybe it helps you.

Reactions:
The direct link being the Drive link, right? Were you able to check whether the Steam version also crashes?

The log isn't turning up really obvious issues, so I'm at a loss for the moment. I'll see if I can get a crash from launching to the editor right after a fresh download.
Tried all 3 of the links individually, none where working.

Sometimes my mapeditor crashes without reason aswell. If I wasnt able to find a clue, I always just checked adding "-debug_mode" behind "-mapeditor". 9/10 it works after that. Dunno why though. Maybe it helps you.
Ran this once it worked, tried closing the map editor and removing the -debug_mode and it still works. Seemed to have fixed it for me, somehow? Thanks.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The mod worked, until I created a province map and edited its respective files (definition, 00_landed_titles and titles_I_english.yml). I get CTD's every time now, when I load with the "-mapeditor" and "-debug_mode" commands. Any kind of help is appreciated.

Attachments

• debug.log
    37,2 KB · Views: 0
  • error.log
    3,4 MB · Views: 0
  • game.log
    40,4 KB · Views: 0
  • system.log
    859 bytes · Views: 0
Reactions:
The mod worked, until I created a province map and edited its respective files (definition, 00_landed_titles and titles_I_english.yml). I get CTD's every time now, when I load with the "-mapeditor" and "-debug_mode" commands. Any kind of help is appreciated.

Thanks for the logs! error.log is the one worth reading.

Those also remind me that I really need to update this now that I can fix some of those meaningless-but-annoying errors.

The .yml for localization cannot (in my limited experience) cause crashes, so it's definition or titles.

There are three suggestive messages in error.log that are worth noting, between "Assertion failed: failed to get transform . . .." and "Rel head title 'd_mazdayasna' . . .." Those all suggest shenanigans in provinces.png and/or definition.csv and 00_landed_titles, but none are likely to cause CTD (same caveat as before!). Those might also be from the blank map mod as-is. My bad if so.

The last line of error.log, "Assertion failed: invalid province in pool," means at least one province is broken-broken but doesn't say exactly how. I would suggest replacing (or adding to) the mod's initial provinces one by one until you hit the error, then figure out what's different about that one. If even a single change returns the same CTD, puzzling over formats is one option and posting (or messaging) the definition.csv and landed_titles files is another. Good luck!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Thanks for the logs! error.log is the one worth reading.

Those also remind me that I really need to update this now that I can fix some of those meaningless-but-annoying errors.

The .yml for localization cannot (in my limited experience) cause crashes, so it's definition or titles.

There are three suggestive messages in error.log that are worth noting, between "Assertion failed: failed to get transform . . .." and "Rel head title 'd_mazdayasna' . . .." Those all suggest shenanigans in provinces.png and/or definition.csv and 00_landed_titles, but none are likely to cause CTD (same caveat as before!). Those might also be from the blank map mod as-is. My bad if so.

The last line of error.log, "Assertion failed: invalid province in pool," means at least one province is broken-broken but doesn't say exactly how. I would suggest replacing (or adding to) the mod's initial provinces one by one until you hit the error, then figure out what's different about that one. If even a single change returns the same CTD, puzzling over formats is one option and posting (or messaging) the definition.csv and landed_titles files is another. Good luck!
I don't even know what to say, I guess I was very lucky, because it worked after I deleted a county at first try. I still don't know why though, it seemed that it was all right. Anyway, I was almost giving up, but you helped me a lot! Thank you!

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Hey!

I discovered your map via a youtuber who uses it in his tutorial and I got very exited to try to creat my own world. Let's just say that I have no experience at all with modding of any kind so it was quite challenging for me to understand. I downloaded the mod and it works fine when I downloaded it from steam. So i created a basic heightmap and replaced the one from the mod with it and now my game wont start, and when it do i get the vanilla map (in mapeditor). I just want to know what the problem could be. I transfered my heightmap to Steam/steamapps/workshop/content/map_data. It would be more than appriciated if someone would be willing to help me out.

edit: Was able to start the game now but the terrain was not able to load, I tried to put the heightmap directly in the game via the mapeditor but it apperntly has to be a zip file. Help is still needed.

:)

Last edited:
Reactions:
Hey!

I discovered your map via a youtuber who uses it in his tutorial and I got very exited to try to creat my own world. Let's just say that I have no experience at all with modding of any kind so it was quite challenging for me to understand. I downloaded the mod and it works fine when I downloaded it from steam. So i created a basic heightmap and replaced the one from the mod with it and now my game wont start, and when it do i get the vanilla map (in mapeditor). I just want to know what the problem could be. I transfered my heightmap to Steam/steamapps/workshop/content/map_data. It would be more than appriciated if someone would be willing to help me out.

edit: Was able to start the game now but the terrain was not able to load, I tried to put the heightmap directly in the game via the mapeditor but it apperntly has to be a zip file. Help is still needed.

:)

The first problem that can come up is the format of the heightmap: it has to be in 16bit grayscale. FWIW, the map editor's import function doesn't often work.

I figured out most of my initial problems with https://ck3.paradoxwikis.com/Map_modding#Creating_a_heightmap. The next resource after that, besides the forum, is the CK3 Mod Co-Op Discord, where you can ask fresh questions and get quick replies or search for old conversations. Good luck!

• 1Like
Reactions:
This resource is for anyone experimenting with a total conversion from (almost) scratch (and is current with 1.5.0.2).

Thanks to @Owlcoholic, @HekateSIN, @Svanley, and @tyelcur for creating/maintaining/contributing to the original and follow-up.

Features
  • almost blank files for terrain, rivers, and provinces, with just enough for the game to launch.
  • files for a single vanilla province (Gran Canaria).
Screenshot

View attachment 809976

Caveat Lector

• This works for me on Windows through Steam as of 1.5.0.2 with no other mods running.
  • There are alternative approaches to a total conversion mod template, but this is the simplest one to maintain (for me) and use (for you).
  • There are a lot of challenges, small and large, to total conversion mods. I'm planning to update this resource with a basic tutorial (eventually).
    • There are ample resources for total conversions in general on the CK3 wiki, from CK3 content creators, and in the CK3 Mod Co-Op.
Installation
  1. Get files from Paradox, Steam, or Drive.
    • If Steam,
      • Set up a blank mod from the launcher for CK3.
      • Find a .mod file at [. . .]\Crusader Kings III\mod directing you to this mod's files from Steam Workshop.
      • Duplicate this mod's files from Steam Workshop folders into your blank mod.
      • Update your blank mod's .mod files to match those this mod.
    • If Drive,
      • use 7-Zip to extract files from total_conversion_sandbox.7z
      • put files in [. . .]\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings III\mod
      • change the path in total_conversion_sandbox.mod
      • (or drop the actual mod files into your own mod through the launcher).
  2. Get the mod into a playset through the launcher.
  3. Launch!
Links
Paradox Mods (Requires manual download.)
Steam Workshop
Drive

Thanks for checking this out! I'll keep up with bugs/crashes/updates as time allows.
Updated for 1.5.0.2! The next steps for this resource are:
  • a brief tutorial on total conversion from scratch
    • and a collection of community resources that set up initial work on a total conversion.
  • an Almost Blank CK3 resource that reduces all CK3 files to the bare minimum for a generic fantasy total conversion.
    • meaning like this resource, but extending to everything from events to artifacts.
Those won't come in the near future, but both could be useful. If you have comments or questions, please pipe up below or on Discord. Cheers!

For some reason the game keeps treating ID 2 (province 2) as if it was a sea province. Whenever I add the RGB code for province 2 it crashes (I think becasue of its sea province status) and therefore I cannot modify it as a legit landed barony, although in the definition file I put the RGB color used in Photoshop. Any ideas on how to solve it?