EUIV - Development Diary - 24th of September 2019

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.

DDRJake

Field Marshal
112 Badges
Feb 4, 2011
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
Good day all and welcome to this week's EU4 Dev Diary. Last Tuesday saw the release of the 1.29 Manchu update, and for myself and the rest of the EU4 team, it's been a blast seeing players pick up the game and tear through our additions in East Asia. For myself in particular, it's been great to read stories of players who had not previously tried life as a Steppe Nomad in the game before, now embracing the horde ways.

And sometimes we're taken aback by just how fast players make the game bend to their will, like u/H4wx here who, just a few days after 1.29 went live, wrapped up an impressive and aesthetic Qing campaign.

great Qing.png

Of course, the release of an update does not mean the end of work for us in the studio. While the game itself was largely running without issue, there were several reports from users who were unable to start the game, or faced various incompatibility issues once in the game. Many issues were caused from incompatible mods, which last Friday we hotfixed in a warning for players who start the game with outdated mods. Due to changes to shaders in 1.29, some pretty awesome screenshots started appearing in bug reports, that simply have to be saved for posterity.

In addition to adding said warning for outdated mods, we fixed up an issue where people were not able to change their resolution in the launcher, which was causing people, particularly those with large monitors to endure the pain of EU4 without scaling UI (coming in the European Update next year!)

There are still outstanding issues which we are tackling as we speak. Some Linux users find the game failing to start unless they launch the game directly, which is a high priority for us to fix as soon as possible. A good place to check out for any of your issues with starting EU4 is our Known Issues Thread which houses solutions for some of the more common issues as we continue to work on fixes.

Aside from fixes, the team is gearing up to resume work on the upcoming 1.30 Update, which we hope to get back to discussing next week and onwards!

Last edited:
That Gujarat/Malwa divide brings back Dev Clash memories. Specifically the point immediately before I was ruthlessly betrayed by @Trin Tragula .

If WC with Oirat is easy now, then devs might wish to adjust that sometime.

We don't. I like that Oirat has a high rish high reward opening gambit and if that makes them a favourite for world conquest then that's fine by me.