• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello everyone! We’re getting close to release and there’s not much left to cover in our Development Diaries. So today's diary will be about things I think we’ve missed in previous ones. Even though we have had 57 development diaries, not including this one, there’s still been things that have slipped. So it will be sort of a leftover scraps Dev Diary. First up, shortcut/hotkeys.

So how it used to work in order to set up your own shortcut keys in the interface of EU4 you had to mod the interface files, or download a mod from the Steam Workshop. But we’ve now implemented a way for you to configure these settings inside the game instead. EU4 is a game with a lot of interfaces and buttons so we can’t really have a settings screen listing every single possible shortcut. So instead we added this button in the game.

1590497415294.png

Clicking on that will let you then click on any button in the interface that has a shortcut and assign it a new one. Clicking on let’s say the Split in Half button for armies will prompt you with this.

1590497457219.png

Letting you pick whatever key shortcut you want for that button.

Next is a pet peeve of many, your subjects using their colonist for settlement growth where or when you don’t want it. So we’ve added a simple little Subject interaction where you can allow or forbid this to specific subjects.

1590497428132.png

So not much to say there, so let’s move on to something I’ve seen discussed from time to time within the community, which is the French Vassal Swarm. I thought I had already covered this before but no harm in being extra clear. France starts with a very powerful nobility estate and a special privilege specifically for them.

1590497438632.png

Besides being in control of a lot of land from the start, this privilege also gives them +10% Influence making it a hard one to get rid of. There is an equivalent that exists for any other nation that is not French as well, the requirement to pick it requires that you have at least 2 vassals. I hope this clears up any potential misunderstandings from our previous talks about the French Vassal Swarm.

Minority Expulsions have gotten changes to try and make Europe not too homogenous in culture. IT no longer costs diplo power but it also does not convert the home province of the culture/religion. The modifiers that affect its costs are now focused on the money cost instead of the diplo cost. The development that you get in the new world province now also reduces the amount of development that “stays” in the home province to represent the movement of people, and through that sort of making it cheaper for you to culture convert at home. We’ve also made the AI very reluctant to do it overall.

We’ve done some smaller balance changes. First we’ve changed so you can’t overrun an army that can fill out it’s combat width. Overrun being the mechanic where you insta wipe on day 1 if you have 10x the size of the enemy. Going forward we are also looking into redoing some policies values like the 20% Infantry Combat Ability, try and lower the sources of Army Tradition as a whole as we don’t want it to be this easy to get a floor of 100% Army Tradition. We are also looking at reviewing the Hussite modifiers.

I want to end this Development Diary by retracting one of our previous promises, we said at the start of working on this patch that we would solve so you could restart back to the menu. However we have to admit defeat here as we’ve put a lot of resources in trying to fix it but EU4’s architecture simply can’t support resetting it’s game state properly. So even though we thought we had an early victory in getting this to work, after intensive testing it’s shown that we are basically still at square 1. I am very sorry that we have to backtrack on this, especially if it was something you were looking forward to.

Next Dev Diary will be the patch notes for the 1.30 Update.

I can't lie when I say I'm upset with the last statement, the resetting is extremely annoying, perhaps I want to adjust some options, accidentally hit the RNW button or maybe even something else, the honesty with it not being solvable is appreciated however, hopefully EU V doesn't have the problem and/or EU IV can fix it eventually.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hey, can you fix the following bug:
When in a defensive war, taking back your cores if you win the war will give you full Agressive expansion for those provinces. Thank you, you're doing an awesome work!

• 1Like
Reactions:
What's a scenario in which you wouldn't want your colonial subject to grow in settlements? Or is this just for MP? Because in SP I tell all my subjects, go, spread, yours is the earth.

Reactions:
What's a scenario in which you wouldn't want your colonial subject to grow in settlements? Or is this just for MP? Because in SP I tell all my subjects, go, spread, yours is the earth.
Settlement growth is not about colonizing new provinces. It is about using a settler to increase the development of the existing provinces. That prevents you from constructing buildings(required for some missions) and converting the provinces(e.g. for a one-faith).

• 5Like
Reactions:
Expeling minorities not converting is unquestionably a good choice.

The entire mechanic was a terrible addition to game that tried to portray two real live events:
1st The migration of ethnic minorities to the new world, leading to cultural diversity in the new world (example: the Irish in North America)
-2nd The mass expulsion of ethnic minorities in Europe (example: the Jews and Muslims being expelled from Iberia after the Reconquista)

But this mechanic fails to portray any of these things because:
1st The Irish didn't disappear from Ireland after moving to North America
2nd The Jews and Muslims weren't expelled to the Iberian colonies, but mostly to Eastern Europe and the Maghreb respectively.

This change at least makes it so that it accurately portraits the first event, and the second event was already abstracted before by cultural conversion.

This change will make the game far more accurate overall, without this you would always see Galicia and Aragon being replaced by Castillian culture and Ireland and Wales being replaced by English culture, and this was never the case in real life. This change vastly improves on the great mistake that was Golden Century.

Sure, Minority Expulsion is mostly useless now, but guess what? Its not supposed to be useful, conversion and expulsion should be simply roleplay actions to paint the culture map. Conversion to paint the Old Word and Expulsion to paint the New World.
The actual problem here are those nations that get those mechanics jammed down their throats, namely those who take exploration ideas and thus are suck with that useless modifier, and Iberians which get an absolutely useless and ahistorical government reform.

The Expulsion mechanic did far more harm than good, it was the absolute lowest point of the already lackluster Golden Century, this change doesn't make it good but at least its not longer outright bad.
I would just give Iberians a new actually useful goverment reform and maybe also switch it in the Exploration ideas, but expulsion no longer converting is a GOOD thing.

• 6Like
Reactions:
Two scenarios:

1. There are uncolonised provinces in their colonial region they could be filling up but are not.
2. The envoy using the same slot as building construction means no new buildings can be built in the province they're working in, which can block some achievements.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Where is my dislike? And where is new dev diary about new content, thich you promise 2 week ago? In this diary I didn't see any new content. only litle reworked old content
dislike.png

Last edited:
Reactions:
With this many disagrees I have to wonder if I got the facts wrong or if everyone disagrees with me when I said this current minority explusion is not worth using.

@Heffmaestro @magriboy0750 @prey2112 @Chazb5046
Care to state why you disagreed?
I haven't disagree for this part of the post.I have disagree for the part about the estates rework.I agree with you that the minority expulsion in it's current state is not good.

Reactions:
Here's hoping for EU5 not having this problem. Does CK3 have it?

Considering CK3 and Imperator are built on same version of the engine, and Imperator doesn't have this issue at all (because it loads a lot of stuff when you actually go into map screen, and not at the game launch), I'd say CK3 will most probably not have that problem at all either.

Reactions:
It would be nice to have an interaction with your colonial nations that prevents it from colonizing outside its own colonial region.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
I haven't disagree for this part of the post.I have disagree for the part about the estates rework.I agree with you that the minority expulsion in it's current state is not good.

I see. A blanket disagree can be quite unclear.

I disagreed because the post came across as a touch arrogant.

In what way? It'd be good to know when I seem arrogant and when I don't.

Reactions:
Please don't change what makes Innovative a viable pick

And changes to the overrun mechanic are weird, overrunning large armies which fill their combat width only happens in very weird scenarios like Florryworry making a 1 million stack

If there are 500k troops around in multiplayer against 50k, changing the overrun mechanic is not going to change the outcome

Reactions:
Expeling minorities not converting is unquestionably a good choice.

The entire mechanic was a terrible addition to game that tried to portray two real live events:
1st The migration of ethnic minorities to the new world, leading to cultural diversity in the new world (example: the Irish in North America)
-2nd The mass expulsion of ethnic minorities in Europe (example: the Jews and Muslims being expelled from Iberia after the Reconquista)

But this mechanic fails to portray any of these things because:
1st The Irish didn't disappear from Ireland after moving to North America
2nd The Jews and Muslims weren't expelled to the Iberian colonies, but mostly to Eastern Europe and the Maghreb respectively.

This change at least makes it so that it accurately portraits the first event, and the second event was already abstracted before by cultural conversion.

This change will make the game far more accurate overall, without this you would always see Galicia and Aragon being replaced by Castillian culture and Ireland and Wales being replaced by English culture, and this was never the case in real life. This change vastly improves on the great mistake that was Golden Century.

Sure, Minority Expulsion is mostly useless now, but guess what? Its not supposed to be useful, conversion and expulsion should be simply roleplay actions to paint the culture map. Conversion to paint the Old Word and Expulsion to paint the New World.
The actual problem here are those nations that get those mechanics jammed down their throats, namely those who take exploration ideas and thus are suck with that useless modifier, and Iberians which get an absolutely useless and ahistorical government reform.

The Expulsion mechanic did far more harm than good, it was the absolute lowest point of the already lackluster Golden Century, this change doesn't make it good but at least its not longer outright bad.
I would just give Iberians a new actually useful goverment reform and maybe also switch it in the Exploration ideas, but expulsion no longer converting is a GOOD thing.
Honestly - I kinda agree with you. The conversion was a bit overkill (while you HAD to pay DIPLO for that - so that was kinda explainable). But the development drop in mainland...while possibly (POSSIBLY!) historical is totally absurd from gameplay perspective (also on a flip side - development does not grow by default, which is not historical too, but totally fine from gameplay perspective). And here I stand for gameplay, since blablabla history - game needs to be playable with all of it's elements included. Development drop in mainland is what makes this feature useless. No way anyone will use it 'properly' - everyone will either game the system expelling from 1/1/1 provinces (like in my example - Jurchen provinces, also applies for various wannabe colonizers from Africa and India and Indonesia) ((also this 'new' expelling from such 1/1/1 provinces will make actually little sense now from historical perspective)), or stop using it completely. Therefore - this is not a good solution for a bad initial design. PDX need to think about other ways to tune this, and currently they clearly are breaking something that 'kinda' worked completely

Reactions:
So not much to say there, so let’s move on to something I’ve seen discussed from time to time within the community, which is the French Vassal Swarm. I thought I had already covered this before but no harm in being extra clear. France starts with a very powerful nobility estate and a special privilege specifically for them.

Besides being in control of a lot of land from the start, this privilege also gives them +10% Influence making it a hard one to get rid of. There is an equivalent that exists for any other nation that is not French as well, the requirement to pick it requires that you have at least 2 vassals. I hope this clears up any potential misunderstandings from our previous talks about the French Vassal Swarm.

Call me dumb but where the fuck in this dev diary did you address the problem of the French vassal swarm ? You didn't. You present a modifier that, for all accounts, makes the vassal swarm even stronger. The concern is that France will just have too many troops and manpower (Yeah don't forget the base 10k+dev for every nation) and could even just declare wars and let it's vassal do the job while doing nothing. Do you even know what a vassal swarm is ? We speak of VASSAL SWARM and you tell us about some ESTATE modifier ? Seriously those dev diaries looks like politicians interviews sometimes. You say you are going to address the problem but you don't at all and speak of something almost entirely unrellated. I don't wanna sound disrespectful or anything, but this is seriously unnerving. You don't clear any misunderstandings. You don't. If you want to tell me you do, I'm sorry but you guys need to see someone. No one cares about that modifier, we care for a balance problem in the game right now that this update was supposed to fix and is instead completely buffing. Wtf does this modifier has to do with that issue ? Can we get an honest answer ? If you've made thing even more unbalanced just say so, don't hide behind empty words and meaningless presentations.

Anyway, thanks for the work on this update, it seems like it's gonna be one of the best since the game released, for Europe at least. I know I sound a bit salty, which I am, but I'm thanksful for the job done don't get me wrong. Hyped to play Emperor.

Reactions: