• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK3 Dev Diary #09 - Lifestyles

Greetings! Today we’ll be taking a look at a new and exciting feature in CK3 - the Lifestyle system!

Now, to start off, the lifestyles of CK3 have very little in common with those in CK2. The system has been changed and is vastly improved and much more interactive than CK2’s system. In fact, we have proper skill trees now, much like those you would find in an RPG. You will gather experience and unlock perks, which conveys all kinds of bonuses to your character! This allows you to tailor your character to your needs, immerse yourself in their story, and provides a lot of replayability, as it’s not only about what perks you get, but also when you get them.

There are five Lifestyle categories, with each category containing three full skill trees. You first choose the Lifestyle you want, and then you select a focus within it.

DD_LS_1.png

The focuses convey immediate bonuses, much like they did in CK2 - you usually pick the Focus that provides the modifier you most need at the moment. For example, if you desperately need piety you can pick the Theology Focus, while if you have just conquered a large amount of land the Authority Focus might be more appropriate. You can pick any Focus within a Lifestyle to gain experience within it, the Focuses do not correspond to specific trees.

Each Focus also comes with its own unique set of events, connected to the theme of the Focus. If you have the Temptation focus selected you might get events about subtly manipulating your vassals and guests, finding out their secrets or gaining hooks, while if you have the Wealth focus selected it might see you levy extra taxes upon your peasants, among other things. More on this in the next weeks DD.

DD_LS_2.png

After you’ve picked a Focus, you will start gaining experience and can start unlocking perks!

Now, characters will not usually live long enough to unlock every perk. You will have to choose which path to go down, and you will unlock a new perk every few years. Perks are unlocked by spending experience, which is gained both passively (symbolizing that your character dabbles in subjects pertaining to their lifestyle during their free time) and actively (through choices in Lifestyle events, etc).

Perks are wonderful things that unlock all manner of possibilities and opportunities. Going down the right paths will unlock special modifiers, decisions, casus bellis, and even schemes. Some perks will modify existing systems to work differently for your character - for example, going down the Avarice path makes Stress (more on this in a later DD) have some positive effects. There are perks that make your troops fight better, that make factions stay in line, or that fortify your health. Really, you’ll be spoilt for choice - and we’ll go into more detail on what each Lifestyle is capable of in the coming weeks!

DD_LS_3.png

The final Perk in each tree always gives you a trait, which is very powerful (think the Master Seducer trait in CK2), nicely rounding them off. If you live long enough, you’ll see yourself accumulate a few of these.

DD_LS_4.png

Can you guess the traits? 15 of these traits are tied to the Lifestyle trees, the remaining can be gained through special events and activities.

While you won’t start using Lifestyles and unlocking perks before you’re an adult, it really begins during childhood. Depending on the education you get, you will have an affinity for a certain Lifestyle - now this doesn’t mean that you’re stuck with that Lifestyle, of course, you can choose any lifestyle regardless of your education. The education ranks directly correspond to a percentage increase in experience gained, a rank one education will give a 10% bonus, and a rank four one a 40% bonus, and so on.

When a character becomes landed they will select a focus and unlock perks based on their age - the older they are, the more perks they will have unlocked. They will select an appropriate Lifestyle based on their education (making it even more important to manage your children’s education carefully), and perks based on their personality and traits. Do not worry though, if you’re not satisfied with the hand you’re dealt you can choose to reset all perks (within that Lifestyle) once per lifetime - though this will incur a massive amount of Stress (again, more on this in a later DD). Sometimes it’s worth playing the hand you’re dealt - perhaps going along with your lustful heir's seductive tendencies could open up a venue you hadn’t even considered?

In the next few weeks we’ll dive deeper into the various aspects of the Lifestyle system, so stay tuned!

• 8Like
Reactions:
This is accurate, but there will always be a judgement call which has to be made based on your situation and what you need in that moment.

In general, perks later in a tree will be more powerful than ones earlier in that tree. The final capstone perk in particular should be a strong incentive to finish out a perk tree that you're close to completing. For this reason, there is a natural incentive to stay in a single Lifestyle, at least until you finish your current perk tree.

That said, if you're halfway through the Strategist perk tree and find that you're already winning all of your battles, you might decide to switch out for something else early. After all, if you continue further down that perk tree the only thing you will gain is the ability to win even harder, which is... nice? But that alone won't do anything to improve your budget or develop your counties or sway a discontent vassal.

Either way, completion of a perk tree is a natural point to switch between different Lifestyles as there's no additional benefit for completing all 3 perk trees in a single Lifestyle versus completing 1 perk tree in 3 different Lifestyles.

so I take it that lifestyle traits aren’t exclusive like they were in CK2?

Prophet.... well, should change that, not well suited for muslims or christians, and like less powerfull than theologian? Prophet in religions are below god, they should not be implemented exept for a character founder of religion or heresy.

Reactions:
I'll be reviving this old topic but after seeing the CK3 reveal, I wanted to express my concerns about the new Lifestyle system. I don't think that it's a bad system per se, but accumulating experience and unlocking perks with that is too deterministic, too... predictable and mechanic to me. And I think it takes away from the "reality" of the game.

I mean in CK2 we had similar focuses and we could gain traits based on our choices in events that are triggered as a part of the focus we have chosen. But the biggest difference was that the result was not certain. You want to increase your commanding skill? Fine, choose war or hunting and based on the choices you make down a series of events, and a little bit of luck you could hope to get the skill increase you wanted.

However, as I said you needed luck as well, because the outcome would be indicated in to tooltip as "%60 chance that you'll get x trait" and though some people doesn't like it, that sounds more realistic. Because if you think your own life, and say if you want to develop your language skills in Italian, you can do certain things, study Italian, attend to a language course, watch movies in Italian, etc. but the result is not certain. It's not like you'll increase your Italian knowledge 100%. Based on many factors you'll get some result. Because that's how real world works.

And the system in CK2 was similar to that. You would nudge your character in a certain direction but could not be sure what will happen. And Ithink that uncertainty is what makes CK a fun game. If it was like 2+2 we wouldn't need to play the game at all.

Some people think the new system has a stronger RPG element but I don't agree. CK is already a strong role play game. It's just we need to think what role we are playing. As I gathered from the topic some people want to design their character and even project their own personality onto the characters in the game. I, on the other hand, think that it should be the other way around. Instead of making the King so and so to act according to my wishes, I want to get into the mind of that king, and want to figure out what "he" would do in a certain situation. If he has "Craven" trait then I would be more hesitant to go into a risky war, or oppose my strongest vassal. If he has "Greedy" than I will amass gold and probably my heir inherit a large treasury that they can do many things with it.

When I am playing the CK, I don't want to be King Elldn, no. I want to be Basileus Justinianus and play the role of a monarch, who is trying to maintain a balance among his vassals, enemies and allies.

I feel like the new Life Style system will erode that feeling and shift the game experience from an altertanive history simulation to a fantasy game. Of course I don't mean that the CK doesn't serve as a tool for our world domination fantasies. =)

And the new system is such an integral part of the game I feel like not using it will take away so much from the gaming experience. That's my only concern about the game so far. I hope I made myself clear. I had a clearer thought at the beginning but as I went on writing, it felt like it's slipping away from me. ^^

Edit: I said traits in the beginning but I meant perks. Thanks ShadyGuy for pointing it out.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Hey there, I just want to drop by and respectfully disagree with you. The entire Discord server (those who are online when I asked) thinks that the new system is way better. They also point out that these perks are not traits and that traits still come randomly. There is only one special trait per lifestyle if you finish the whole tree.
They also wanted me to crucify you but I won't so we're cool.

Reactions:
Hey there, I just want to drop by and respectfully disagree with you. The entire Discord server (those who are online when I asked) thinks that the new system is way better. They also point out that these perks are not traits and that traits still come randomly. There is only one special trait per lifestyle if you finish the whole tree.
They also wanted me to crucify you but I won't so we're cool.
The merit of an argument is not determined by how many agrees with it. Also what discord server?

Reactions:
The merit of an argument is not determined by how many agrees with it. Also what discord server?
To check reality and make sure that I'm not imposing my own opinion over people I reached out to the Official Discord Server and see if people agree. They didn't.

And I listed the counter arguments they gave. I didn't mean to imply that it's a bad argument because the majority opposed it :p

I'll be reviving this old topic but after seeing the CK3 reveal, I wanted to express my concerns about the new Lifestyle system. I don't think that it's a bad system per se, but accumulating experience and unlocking traits with that is too deterministic, too... predictable and mechanic to me. And I think it takes away from the "reality" of the game.

I mean in CK2 we had similar focuses and we could gain traits based on our choices in events that are triggered as a part of the focus we have chosen. But the biggest difference was that the result was not certain. You want to increase your commanding skill? Fine, choose war or hunting and based on the choices you make down a series of events, and a little bit of luck you could hope to get the skill increase you wanted.

However, as I said you needed luck as well, because the outcome would be indicated in to tooltip as "%60 chance that you'll get x trait" and though some people doesn't like it, that sounds more realistic. Because if you think your own life, and say if you want to develop your language skills in Italian, you can do certain things, study Italian, attend to a language course, watch movies in Italian, etc. but the result is not certain. It's not like you'll increase your Italian knowledge 100%. Based on many factors you'll get some result. Because that's how real world works.

And the system in CK2 was similar to that. You would nudge your character in a certain direction but could not be sure what will happen. And Ithink that uncertainty is what makes CK a fun game. If it was like 2+2 we wouldn't need to play the game at all.

Some people think the new system has a stronger RPG element but I don't agree. CK is already a strong role play game. It's just we need to think what role we are playing. As I gathered from the topic some people want to design their character and even project their own personality onto the characters in the game. I, on the other hand, think that it should be the other way around. Instead of making the King so and so to act according to my wishes, I want to get into the mind of that king, and want to figure out what "he" would do in a certain situation. If he has "Craven" trait then I would be more hesitant to go into a risky war, or oppose my strongest vassal. If he has "Greedy" than I will amass gold and probably my heir inherit a large treasury that they can do many things with it.

When I am playing the CK, I don't want to be King Elldn, no. I want to be Basileus Justinianus and play the role of a monarch, who is trying to maintain a balance among his vassals, enemies and allies.

I feel like the new Life Style system will erode that feeling and shift the game experience from an altertanive history simulation to a fantasy game. Of course I don't mean that the CK doesn't serve as a tool for our world domination fantasies. =)

And the new system is such an integral part of the game I feel like not using it will take away so much from the gaming experience. That's my only concern about the game so far. I hope I made myself clear. I had a clearer thought at the beginning but as I went on writing, it felt like it's slipping away from me. ^^

I share your concern but I also disagree. CK lives on a tight rope of simulation and player agency. Obviously, characters having a mind of their own and the variance to that is crucial in making the game feel alive and if you look at a lot of CK3's improvements it's been enforcing that. Such as the more impactful trait system and stress feeding into that. BUT lifestyles obviously is going in the other direction with the perk trees. You still chose a focus and we don't know just how much is gained from events related to that and how much is in the perks so can't really comment on that. But why I'm leaning towards more player agency in perks being a good thing is that the way they are heavily synergy dependent just wouldn't work if it was more random and a lot of what we've seen in the lifestyle trees seem like awesome opportunities to expand on how a character is played.

And still it's not like you can just randomly decide to make your kind character a dread abuse master. A lot of the perks stll rely on your characters personality traits and are more an extra level of flavor and gameplay pattern. One of the things I'm looking forward to the most is fun and flavorful "builds" to figure out for the characters I play and I'm hoping it'll break the boring pattern of CK2 where you cycle some of the similar lifestyles when it fits and if you are a min maxer you are looking for some of the good events to fire before moving on.

But yeah we'll see. As I said before this could easily make characters feel too deterministic and gamey but I still think it hits a good blend where it's more of a fun player choice which will lead to more interesting characters. Guess we'll see on release.

Reactions:
To check reality and make sure that I'm not imposing my own opinion over people I reached out to the Official Discord Server and see if people agree. They didn't.

And I listed the counter arguments they gave. I didn't mean to imply that it's a bad argument because the majority opposed it :p
Do you know what self selecting sample bias is?
It's like this, whenever you have a sample where the members of that sample has somehow volunteered to be part of the sample that sample is inherently biased toward the kind of people who would volunteer for whatever the basis of that sample is.
So the discord server may yield very different results from a twitter poll or from the comments on an Instagram post because the people who sign up for these platforms select for very different groups. Hence it is always risky to say what the majority thinks about anything from polling any single location.

Reactions:
Do you know what self selecting sample bias is?
It's like this, whenever you have a sample where the members of that sample has somehow volunteered to be part of the sample that sample is inherently biased toward the kind of people who would volunteer for whatever the basis of that sample is.
So the discord server may yield very different results from a twitter poll or from the comments on an instagram post because the people who sign up for these platforms select for very diffrent groups.
Yup, I'm not checking if the majority of the player base is like that, I just want to make sure that I'm not the only one disagree.

I'm not trying to run a poll. The important part of my response was the counter arguments these people laid out, namely:
  • Traits are still earned at random
  • Perks are not traits, they are a different set of modifiers
  • Only one trait will be earned if you finish the tree
  • Random character evolution is frustrating and no fun, RPG element that let you decide is a lot better.
Edit: Also, the bias works in our favor in this case. We would like people who are familiar with the game to give their opinions. The discord server filter out the general public. If the idea appears to be unpopular with the discord users it is more likely (I'm not speaking in certainty here) to be unpopular with veteran players.

I don't think being a discord user will make it so that they agree with me any more or less. The only thing we share is the knowledge and experience with regard to the game mechanic in question.

Last edited:
Reactions:
In my previous post I said "traits" but what I meant was perks. Sorry for that.

To sum up my concerns, I think this new Life Style system MAY create similar issues to that of the Imperator's "mana" mechanic, when it came out. Like, accumulating a certain type of consumable power and then spending these to unlock whatever perk we have.

I mean there's this perk in intrgue tree, and I know for sure that my vassals will immediately will have +15 opinion of me the moment I accumulate enough experience and click on that perk.

It may be just me but I like the uncertainty of the game. I like the things that happen to my character when I'm planning to revive the Roman Empire.

Reactions:
Perks just represent a long term goal of becoming more skilled in X, Y, or Z. IRL, it would be similar to choosing to do various activities and knowing that doing so will have some result that you can guess ahead of time. For example, if you work on bodybuilding, you can assume that you'll get a +20 opinion boost to the opposite sex. Now, maybe you don't know the exact number of that and it varies person to person IRL, but you can be pretty certain to get a good boost on average. Knowing that ahead of time isn't unrealistic. Of course, you could say that the perk you choose doesn't necessarily offer such a clear indication of the result that it is giving you as bodybuilding would, but it's a game and so some things are going to be done for gameplay purposes.

There is something they could do to make it more interesting, though. Rather than a fixed opinion boost for everyone, it could be a fixed base boost that is then adjusted up or down based on each individual's traits. Maybe cynical or arbitrary or cruel might get less boost, for example. In those cases, you have some variety instead of a flat boost. I think that could be good in certain perks or events and I think they are doing that to some extent in certain cases, though not with perks as far as I've seen.

Reactions: