• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.

Virvatuli

Private
45 Badges
Jan 27, 2016
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Magicka
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Prison Architect
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
Hello everyone! I’m Virvatuli, one of the Content Designers on The Reaper’s Due, which also happens to be my very first project here at Paradox. It’s been so much fun working on this DLC and I hope you’ll have even more fun playing it! In this week’s DD (another first for me), I will reveal one of Reaper’s most important features. Oh, okay, it might not be that important, but at least it’s my personal favourite and pet project. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you cats.

For the longest time, there’s been a issue regarding the representation of pets in Crusader Kings 2. In the realm of companion animals, there has been a worrisome lack of diversity. Most of you who play Way of Life have probably had a loyal hunting dog, there have been some events regarding birds of prey, and a lucky few Conclave players might have encountered a tiny rodent friend. Sadly, that has been pretty much it on the pet front. To rectify this serious problem we’ve added some additional furry and feathered friends in The Reaper’s Due. As we did, of course we couldn’t leave out the best animal of them all: our Feline Overlords, Befurred Ninjas, Gods of the Internet.

In the new DLC you can befriend a cat in a number of ways. However, as any Dwarf Fortress player or real-life cat lover knows, you do not adopt a cat. A cat adopts you. Once your feline friend has decided that you’re the one and only slave for it, you will receive a fancy “Pet Cat” character modifier (unless you scare it away, you horrible person). It will give your character +1 health, as the cat brings you so much happiness, and +1 intrigue, because we all know that cat owners are a bit more clever than everyone else (hey, it’s science!).

dd1.png

However, most things can become troublesome in excess, even your love for felines. In every cat owner’s life there comes a time when you ask yourself if you shouldn’t get just one more. At some point, the answer is probably no, at least if you don’t want to scare off all of your friends and repulse the courtiers.

dd2.png

Unless you want to become even sneakier, that is. Then go ahead and become a Crazy Cat Lady, or a Crazy Cat Lord, if that’s how you identify.

At first thought, one might think that cats would be a very insignificant aspect of a medieval ruler’s life, however, when the Plague comes around to visit this changes drastically. Most of you probably know that the Black Death was likely spread by fleas on rats. Sadly this fact is unknown to ye olde peasant, and when people start to die, some of them might point fingers to our furry protectors. Believe it or not, there are some people who do not like cats. It’s crazy, I know, but trust me on this. How will you deal with their growing fears? Do remember, if you don’t have cats, you’ll have plenty of rats…

dd3.png

This sneak peak of cats is all you’ll get for now. Don’t worry though, The Reaper’s Due is out on the 25th of August and then you can experience cats for yourself in all their whiskered glory. Next week Darkrenown will talk about more assorted features. Now I need to get back to scripting, there’re still some cat-related subjects which need further exploration… Adieu!

• 1Love
Reactions:
I think your way of communicating is a bit offensive!
I know you try to be funny, but I actually feel you are giving me "the finger" here - I as a customer ask a question - I have the idea that cats were pet animals in Egypt, but was first really introduced to Europe as a pet in the 15-1600 perhaps - so it is a legit question, and you as a person from Paradox act like this?
I don't get it... It feels like you think you are superior when writing like that.

And sorry, it is not because I sit curled in the corner right now crying - and I can get through it, don't worry - I just want to tell you that the way you communicate is not very "customer-friendly" in my eyes.

The internet is full of answers to historical questions!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat#History_and_mythology
The Romans are often credited with introducing the domestic cat from Egypt to Europe;[242]:223 in Roman Aquitaine, a first- or second-century engraving of a young girl holding a cat is one of two earliest depictions of the Roman domesticated cat. However, cats possibly were already kept in Europe prior to the Roman Empire, as they may have been present in Britain in the late Iron Age.

So no one seems quite sure when domesticated cats spread to Europe, but certainly before CK2.

So will the DDs be mostly minor stuff from here on out?

Yes, you have seen all the main features now.

Reactions:
yes yeeeessss

Reactions:
Is it just cats or are there other pets? I remember from a previous DD that one of the new icons resembles an owl amd another resembles a parrot.

They are a lot more limited and come from some specific event chains, cats are more general.

Reactions:
Any word on if we will be able to get this content in some other way, besides through a mobile device? I'd love to buy the micro-DLC, but it isn't available through Steam.

Possibly, but no ETA. I asked the gamebook producer and was told something along the lines of "Maybe, if there's a market". Although in theory anyone you know could buy the gamebook on their mobile and log in with your paradox account to unlock the content for you.

I hope people like me who (due to a RL allergy to cats) absolutely hate those little buggers, get options to kill them all.

Yes, it's one of the epidemic blamegame events.

So now... my ideal character would be satanspawn, who's a mystic and has the Necronomicron, is an immortal and has a cat(s?). Maybe throw wolfblood in there for more fun.

I really need Witch Queen to be an acquirable title.

You could aspire to be a cannibal too!

Liking cats gives you a whopping -10 General Opinion, and from the event chain teased, it looks like you might be mistaken as a witch because of it as well.

I'd say it seems like Christian Europe's dislike for cats is pretty well represented as it is.

Repeating myself, but "cat riots" are also a possible result of an epidemic, so cat dislike is certainly shown.

Thats nice, but let me know when I can finally designate my pooch as my lawful heir :D

One day...

Reactions:
You know what I hate? When people like different things from me! Ugh, idiots, enjoying things which are not the same as the things I enjoy! It makes me mad! Everyone should just like the same things as me, maybe consult with me before making anything new, that way I wouldn't need to get upset about them making the wrong things for me - the only person whose opinion matters! :mad:

Hint: If you don't like cats just don't click on the event option to let a cat adopt you.

Reactions: