• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.
Being a Paradox game, we know that modding will be supported. I would rather the developers spent time on the structure of the game, and let players create building variety, larger farms, realistic airports, and all that stuff. Because let's be honest, somebody somewhere is always going to hate the graphics. So let's have the community make buildings, and then go pick and choose which ones you like from Steam Workshop.

A little built in variety would be good. I realize that Mods could create whole new sets but some people would rather not have to search around for mods. I think if you look at a lot of games that have achievements for using a mod you will find that a small portion of people are using mods (I know that people who play many many hours tend to do so because they are playing mods but for the person who puts in 20 to 100 hours there is probably a lot less mod use.

This may be true, but I think the city-building genre is an exemption. Did anybody really play Simcity 4 without mods?

But perhaps you're right, and the average casual player would rather have built-in variation. I'm hoping that good Steam integration will make a really strong mod community that will push this game far beyond what the developers could create. That's why Simcity 4 was so successful, after all.