• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.

podcat

Game Director <unannounced>
Paradox Staff
12 Badges
Jul 23, 2007
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Paradox Order
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
Welcome to this weeks development diary for A House Divided. First up we have added a new screen with more detailed information about goods:

dd2.png

This is accessible from both the trade and production screens so will help both with deciding how to trade and what factories to construct or close. The much longer history graph should also be helpful for evaluating long term profitability and it lets you see how much of the total world production you are responsible for which clever players should be able to use to their advantage.

We have also been working on some economic changes this week. Capitalists are getting a big boost (up to 3x in laissez faire) compared to governments when it comes to building factories and railroads cheaply. Overall though constructions are going to get a lot more expensive. It should no longer be a no-brainer to put railroads in each province. Currently costs are up 10x across the board, but we will see if they stay there after balance testing.

Speaking of railroads, they are now affected by terrain. Different terrain types require a certain tech level for you to be able to construct the railroad there, so for example to build in the Alps you might be required to have level 4 researched. This minimum level also works as a penalty so a level 4 railroad in mountains will only effectively work like a level 1 basic railroad. These things combined should hopefully make for some more interesting choices on where to build your railway net.

Next week we will be talking about one of the new major features for how to declare wars. Its going to be pretty neat.

Excellent :D

Can we hope that railroads might require maintainence costs as well? Those locomotives currently run on air and never break down...

we have discussed it and we'll see during long term balancing towards the end of the project.

nice changes to railroads
can they still be constructed with 0 investors?

not sure what you mean. but I changed some of the display stuff for investor count during last patch for V2 to be more accurate.

If economy is going to be as simple as in vanilla Victoria 2, then I don't see why would you even bother with "railroad networks", when you can just spam railroads in every single province like it's always done, because it's just so easy to earn money and keep tens of millions of pounds or whatever the V2 currency is and then build all you want, VRRP makes it a bit more realistic with actually high costs for ships, forts and other stuff, Paradox should take the example from that mod.

but didnt I explain that we have been upping costs 10x? as for large fleets and endgame balance it is something we will deal with once most features are in. But i agree its needed.

railroads could be built without capitalists, right? i generally see 0 investor invests in railroads, i guess ordinary people do it.

that should just be how many have invested last day I believe