Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Dev Diary #32: Interface Versatility

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.

LennartGS

Managing / Game Director @ Triumph
Paradox Staff
16 Badges
Jun 12, 2018
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Gettysburg
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Magicka
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Prison Architect
Hi there, welcome to this development diary about the versatility of Age of Wonders: Planetfall’s interface.

Displays and platforms are more diverse then ever, so we had to add various systems and settings in order to make the game look best in all situations and make it future-proof. Making a UI for a deep strategy game like this, with its many hundreds of interface components is a mammoth task. But making it work on a variety of platforms and displays even more so.

The Interface Scale settings allows the user to set the relative size of the interface on screen. If you are sitting close by a large screen you might want to set it to “smallest”. This way fonts are smaller, list boxes contain more items and more of the map is shown.

Interface_Settings.jpg

The Main Video Options (PC)

When playing on a small laptop screen, or on smaller TV using controller, you’ll want to up the screen interface scale, so text and icons are easier to read.
Interface_LargeScale.jpg

Large Interface Scale

Interface_SmallestScale.jpg

Small Interface Scale. Note the large number of list box entries available.
You might have notice we hide event texts as default now as it could be overwhelming.

The aspect ratio is also flexible. Like you can stretch the display horizontally for Ultra-Wide Monitors.
Interface_Wide.jpg

Wide Screen Display

Render Scale is a separate control. Some systems have displays with high resolution but not the GPU to push all those pixels at acceptable framerate. By reducing the 3D Render Scale of the game world, the game will run faster on a high-res display and you still have the benefit of the higher DPI on the interface.

Another part of the Interface's versatility is next level of hyperlinking. UI design is all about providing the right amount of relevant information at the right moment: not to much, not to little. So layering info with links and tooltips is key. There are many links to the Imperial Archives that itself also generates handy lists. Like seeing which units a particular mod can be used on.

Interface_Archives2.jpg

The Imperial Archives

I’m lucky enough to have a large 4K TV at home and oh my, Planetfall looks fantastic on that thing. I might have to reevaluate my gaming habits as it also plays great using controller the couch, (note PC has controller support too) but the controller interface and the console versions are something for a future dev journal.

How will you be playing Planetfall? Any platforms you’d like to see the game on?

I’m lucky enough to have a large 4K TV at home and oh my, Planetfall looks fantastic on that thing. I might have to reevaluate my gaming habits as it also plays great using controller the couch, (note PC has controller support too) but the controller interface and the console versions are something for a future dev journal.

Have you considered including full Steam Controller API support for those of us with Steam Controllers?

I'm always a bit surprised that even in modern games developers are so into fixed (if scalable) UIs. The only ones who are kinda "you know what? Let the player decide how they like it best..." are somehow MMO devs. And racing sim devs, I guess. Probably some others. But you almost never see it in your random, "typical" game. And I don't really get it, especially with games like this, where you interact with the UI all the time.

We did this for AoW1. It was a nice system. But strategy games got more complex with many states and hundreds of panels, which often need to work together. So we found it best to reserve areas for particular screens and functions (and so did most other strategy devs)

A freely configurable interface works for MMOs and programs like Photoshop as people use the same "state" for long periods of time.

Have you considered including full Steam Controller API support for those of us with Steam Controllers?

We'll look into it. Should be able to map it using the Steam tool.

We'll look into it. Should be able to map it using the Steam tool.

Cheers! :D My main concerns are 1) Having the Steam Controller glyphs appear on screen when using that controller instead of the glyphs for keyboard/mouse or XBox controller and 2) Being able to map buttons directly to in-game actions (e.g. similar to XCOM 2).